Sign in to follow this  
bmiller

Alex Trebek, cancer

12 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Well that sucks. My 2nd favorite Canadian......

Yeah, well Bieber is a hard act to match.

Canadians of a certain age knew Trebeck before he was Alex Trebeck. 

Music Hop, Reach for the Top........

A class act. He had a long, long run.

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Yeah, well Bieber is a hard act to match.

Canadians of a certain age knew Trebeck before he was Alex Trebeck. 

Music Hop, Reach for the Top........

A class act. He had a long, long run.

Nah, Bieber is not on the list. My favorite is Dudley Doright. Good dude. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Nah, Bieber is not on the list. My favorite is Dudley Doright. Good dude. 

Unfortunately, he wasn't hung like a horse.  

11 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Unfortunately, he wasn't hung like a horse.  

Nell didn’t seem to mind.....

Damn..................

That's a hard one to beat..... But if Rudder and Jennings are on his team.....

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Nell didn’t seem to mind.....

Nell, IIRC, was in love with Dudley's  horse.

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

Damn..................

That's a hard one to beat..... But if Rudder and Jennings are on his team.....

It’s not a pretty way to go either. Painful. He’ll be dead in 3 months.....6 months tops. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Watched the video...  very graceful..

I saw a bit on Wastebook that he's going to fight it the best he can. Real class act and a Canadain treasure that is for certain! 

i wish him the best in this monumental endeavor....I hope he beats it.

I've known 4 people who had it. No one beat it..... The only merciful thing was that it was fast, and fairly painless (Due to the drugs).

• Like 1

Red Green the best TV export from Canada...Sloop finished his apprenticeship  just before the show began filming...a loss we all must share

Doctor on tv said 3% chance of living 5 years at stage II.

He is in serious trouble as he is at Stage IV.

They say this cancer occurs so deep in your internals that by the time there are any noticeable symptoms, it usually is too late.

Please use this as a learning experience.

Do not putting off things until you can better afford them, have more time, or are retired, for there is no guarantee you will be around to pull the trigger on that dream.

Buy that boat, take the family on a big vacation, sign up for that once in a lifetime regatta etc.

MY SIL died 10 weeks short of retiring last year after an aggressive attack of Leukemia.

Vegan who lived quietly, never smoked or drank.  Never experienced life.

She was preparing to do several months in New Zealand after she retired, but that never happened.

You never know..  If not cancer, it could be a drunk driver coming into your lane driving home tonight.

Or a piece of a spy satellite falling on your noggin while sleeping tonight.

My credo is live every day like it is your last, because one morning you are going to wake up and finally be right..

Beat the cancer Alex.  All us at-home players are rooting for you!

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Red Green the best TV export from Canada...Sloop finished his apprenticeship  just before the show began filming...a loss we all must share

This is the best

5 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Well Red did teach me that there are extremely limited uses for the handyman's secret weapon on boats.

The absolute best story that Red ever had was about his friend who started a septic tank pumping business.

He couldn't afford a proper tank truck so he bought an old full size station wagon and put a pool liner in the back.

It worked pretty well - he could get almost 400 gallons in it.

He knocked out all the windows and drove fast so he could breathe.

He sold the business but he still breaks into a sweat whenever he sees a stop sign. :D

• Like 2

Cancer sucks. This type, worse than usual. Good luck to him.

A little thread drift here.  I am opposed to using the combative language often associated with a cancer diagnosis.  

To call it a fight or war suggests that if the person fights hard and works at it, they might win.  But the reality is that too often they can't win and there is no winning.  And dying from cancer does not mean the person didn't fight hard enough.   

Here is an excerpt that sort of addresses how I feel about this (i found this from a Google search on "why we why we shouldn't talk about someone fighting cancer" and this is just one of many excellent articles available):

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/opinions/cancer-is-not-a-war-jardin-opinion/index.html

"Writers before me like Susan Sontag and Barbara Ehrenreich lived with breast cancer (and Sontag died from it), and both wrote about the dissonance of war metaphors in describing our disease. In war, we are taught, there are winners and losers. When breast cancer, a disease for which there is no known cure, progresses to our lymph nodes and shuts down our organs, have we as fighters failed?

" One of those beautiful friends was Lisa Adams, a mother and writer, and a fearless soul.

"When I die don't say I 'fought a battle.' Or 'lost a battle.' Or 'succumbed," she wrote. Don't make it sound like I didn't try hard enough, or have the right attitude, or that I simply gave up."

"I'd like to propose that with cancer, as Lisa suggested, we just call it what it is. War is war. Cancer is cancer. Cancer is a disease of cellular biology in which some cells stop obeying the good instructions they've been given. They hog the body's shared resources, and replicate over and over again, until the body's own organs cannot carry out the basic functions we need for life to continue."

"We don't know how any cancer patient's life will unfold. What will become of any one of us is not ours to know. All that any of us can do is try to live today as best we can."

While I get your point.....still..........don’t know if you’ve ever taken care of someone who “fought” cancer. I have. There are distinctly different approaches/mindsets to trying to win. If you’ve watched someone struggle each day to do all the things that might lead to winning no matter how awful they feel or how much they hurt. Then to wake up and do it day after day........it takes determination and some amount of courage to push each day.....sometimes just to get up or get to the bathroom in time......again and again. Sure looked like “fighting” to me.

By the way, some people simply do give up.....or never even try......they get the diagnosis and simply lay there and wait to die. 

As a survivor who recently “fought” a battle with a stage 3 sarcoma in a bad location, including an initial “inoperable, less than a year” diagnosis, I’m all for whatever metaphor someone with a potentially terminal disease needs to use to face each day. I’m a big believer that attitude does make a big difference in many cases. High dose chemo isn’t an easy or pleasant journey and the temptation to say “enough” is always in the back of your mind - every single day.  Family, friends and a strong belief that you aren’t finished living all play in how much you can take; probably as big an impact as the skill and knowledge of the oncologist. I can never repay my loved ones and friends, including some here, for their support. Getting your ass kicked and then walking back in the door for more 2-3 days after you start to feel human again isn’t for wimps. 

I have enourmous respect for those who fight and also for those who decide for themselves when the fight is over. I’ve walked that path and I’ll defend the right to frame it anyway they wish if it helps them face one more treatment or one more day. 

• Like 7

Thought and prayers are with you. I remember Reach for the Top. You are a class act.

Carpe Diem

Cancer is your own body so the fight paradigm is basically bombing your hometown. Sometimes the fight leaves you worse off than other options. Was my day job for years.

I don't like to talk about it. I'm not proud, and I don't consider myself a victim, or a battler.

I had colon cancer. A big one. But I kept on living, and here I am to torment you all for another however many years.

To be honest, Lyme Disease has been tougher than the cancer is/was,  but it could be that they are ganging up on me for a third attack, so I just keep positive, and plan on doing as much good as I can, while  I can, and smiling the whole way through. (Hell..... When I was in the ER for multiple thigh fractures last June the ER people kept asking me why I was in such a good mood, despite the most serious pain I'd ever endured.... I said "My Grandfather once told me 'That which does not kill you, didn't make you stronger, it just didn't kill you'"

My wife and I googled Jeopardy the other night after hearing the news. The show started in '64 , the year I was born. 55 years as host. That's gotta be some sort of record. 

Best wishes Sir. Fight the good fight. 

6 minutes ago, Prof Anthrax said:

My wife and I googled Jeopardy the other night after hearing the news. The show started in '64 , the year I was born. 55 years as host. That's gotta be some sort of record. 

Best wishes Sir. Fight the good fight. 

He became host in '84 when the show came out of retirement.  Still a good run. 

6 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

He became host in '84 when the show came out of retirement.  Still a good run. 

You are correct. I'll blame the wife. :)

Don't overlook the long run he had here before Jeopardy.

Music Hop went back to around 1963 and Reach for the Top (schoolkid quiz show) went on forever - started in '65.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, bugger said:

A little thread drift here.  I am opposed to using the combative language often associated with a cancer diagnosis.  

To call it a fight or war suggests that if the person fights hard and works at it, they might win.  But the reality is that too often they can't win and there is no winning.  And dying from cancer does not mean the person didn't fight hard enough.   

Here is an excerpt that sort of addresses how I feel about this (i found this from a Google search on "why we why we shouldn't talk about someone fighting cancer" and this is just one of many excellent articles available):

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/opinions/cancer-is-not-a-war-jardin-opinion/index.html

"Writers before me like Susan Sontag and Barbara Ehrenreich lived with breast cancer (and Sontag died from it), and both wrote about the dissonance of war metaphors in describing our disease. In war, we are taught, there are winners and losers. When breast cancer, a disease for which there is no known cure, progresses to our lymph nodes and shuts down our organs, have we as fighters failed?

" One of those beautiful friends was Lisa Adams, a mother and writer, and a fearless soul.

"When I die don't say I 'fought a battle.' Or 'lost a battle.' Or 'succumbed," she wrote. Don't make it sound like I didn't try hard enough, or have the right attitude, or that I simply gave up."

"I'd like to propose that with cancer, as Lisa suggested, we just call it what it is. War is war. Cancer is cancer. Cancer is a disease of cellular biology in which some cells stop obeying the good instructions they've been given. They hog the body's shared resources, and replicate over and over again, until the body's own organs cannot carry out the basic functions we need for life to continue."

"We don't know how any cancer patient's life will unfold. What will become of any one of us is not ours to know. All that any of us can do is try to live today as best we can."

disagree

My sister had rare form of brain cancer. The surgeons gave her 3 years to live.

She fought with everything in her.   She lived 11 years though the last 2 sucked as she grew weary and weak.

My SIL with leukemia just went along with whatever the doctors said.  Never got angry.  She lasted 2 months.

You are fighting your own body.  You have to steel yourself for such a battle.

A disease means going to hospital and seeing doctors, taking your medinces, gettign some rest.

For some types of cancer you have to go all in, leaving no stone unturned no matter how sick and weak it makes you feel.

Anything else means death.

I do hate football players using the term going to war.  They have no fucking clue of what they talk about.

Just came across my Facebook feed. Never seen it before. I seem to have gotten something in my eye.............

I gotte finialle jepoardey tonite.......

'What is Albany"                                  :)

23 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I gotte finialle jepoardey tonite.......

'What is Albany"                                  :)

isn't it one of these?

3423.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

isn't it one of these?

3423.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

I thicke we neede Boothey fore possitieve I.D. and cookeng tippes.                      :)