Sign in to follow this  
Lark

Truck slowdown this afternoon

Recommended Posts

The truckers are having a temper tantrum about rest periods and electronic logs.   At I-70 in Ohio by New London they plan on dropping two of three lanes to 45 MPH.   Any idea how widespread this will be?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lark said:

The truckers are having a temper tantrum about rest periods and electronic logs.   At I-70 in Ohio by New London they plan on dropping two of three lanes to 45 MPH.   Any idea how widespread this will be?   

 

Who’s gonna notice? 

Seems like normal behaviour to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Kind of like this only different?

 

Interesting trivia, Chip Davis co-wrote the above song and used the money to start American Gramaphone and the group Mannheim Steamroller.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Figment said:

What exactly is their beef with the regs?

They're regs.

 Under Trump, no one should be subjected to regulations! You have a CDL class 2, you should know this!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're forced to sleep for fuck's sake even though they've got a grocery bag full of adderall.  It's not fair!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe these drivers should learn about the Humboldt bus crash:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Broncos_bus_crash

"On April 6, 2018, sixteen people were killed and thirteen injured when a northbound coach bus struck a westbound semi-trailer truck near Armley, Saskatchewan, Canada. The semi-trailer had failed to yield at a flashing stop sign....The semi was travelling at a speed of approximately 100 km/h (60 mph)."

The driver of the semi-trailer, 29-year-old Jaskirat Singh Sidhu of Calgary, was charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death, and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.  On January 8, 2019, Sidhu pleaded guilty to all counts.  

The owner of the involved trucking company was charged with violating federal and provincial safety regulations. These include two counts of failure to require a daily log, two counts of keeping multiple daily logs for a single day, three counts of failure to monitor their driver's compliance with the relevant regulation and one count of failure to have or follow a written safety program.

So please tell all these dead and injured hockey players that truck drivers need less regulations.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love them when driving on the two lane (each way) in the Central Valley and the one truck doing 36 is passing the other truck doing 35............:angry:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

They're forced to sleep for fuck's sake even though they've got a grocery bag full of adderall.  It's not fair!

 

I wonder if they are taking turns giving two hour speeches on their phones?   

Question  Do truckers still use CBs?  Or is all that "10-4 good buddy" stuff a relic along with the telephone booth and video stores.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rushman said:

What are the current regulations?

11 hrs driving with 30 min break after 8. Can use 14 hrs exemption one or 2days in a week. no than 60 hrs on duty time in 7 day period.

there are exeptions but not many

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, vibroman said:

11 hrs driving with 30 min break after 8. Can use 14 hrs exemption one or 2days in a week. no than 60 hrs on duty time in 7 day period.

there are exeptions but not many

 

Thanks

https://www.nhvr.gov.au/safety-accreditation-compliance/fatigue-management/work-and-rest-requirements/standard-hours

the link is for Australian conditions as a comparison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t agree with them, but they make some valid points.

  • The federal agency has an advisory board.   It is composed of people that make money off of trucks, but no actual current or past truck drivers sit on the board.   Just shipping company executives.
  • Their work period includes the hours they spend at wharehouses waiting their turn.   Unless they can park the truck for a full 10 hours it is non revenue time but still driving time.    That may be several hours a trip.   This is legitimate.   Wharehouses often won’t let them park there while they wait, and will make them come back in three hours to unload or swap trailers.    Drivers messing with customs face this as well.   
  • Ag drivers are allowed 100 miles from their home without needing an electronic log, unless they cross state lines.   The cost of the log forces many to drive bandit within part of their 100 mile circle.   Owner operators, not shipping companies, foot the bill.   Somebody is hungry enough to make the run if you refuse.
  • They argue that most people don’t get 10 hours of sleep.   Pre and post run vehicle  inspections and a meal doesn’t take two hours.  
  • They also hate the fact they can’t cheat and drive another five minutes to the house or destination, the log flags the violation.   If traffic makes the run 5 minutes too long they are 10 hours and five minutes late, or have to find somewhere to leave the rig and beg a ride home.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all seriousness.....it’s not an easy way to make a living and the log and driving hours requirement is pretty inflexible. The restrictions are important as piloting that much metal and inertia among the rest of us on our roads and highways is a significant risk. Sleep deprivation sneaks up on you such that relying on your own judgement to tell you when enough is enough is not going to protect them and us. Factor in the economics of run time for long haul truckers, especially the independents, and the reality is some minor number of them will push the limits with stimulants and a larger number will push the limits unaware. I spent a career in various states of sleep deprivation, the longest with zero sleep was 4 days. 24-48 hours was common. So long as you’re busy, it’s not so bad (although on the 4th day stretch I was in pretty bad shape), but any monotonous or quiet activity for any period of time and you’re screwed. At the FD we learned the hard way about the work/rest cycle in decision making and in driving safety with guys getting dead on the drive home or to a second fire. Now if you come off shift and get released from an incident to home. If your home unit is more than 1 hour travel time.....you do not get released till you’ve had 8 hours sleep......or 8 hours off the line....sometimes sleep is hard to come by.

Inflexible rules on occasion do not make sense for that specific case. But most of the time they work well. You cannot let the occasional example where adherence to the rule is an overreaction be the driver for policy when the majority of times it is appropriate. It’s really hard to build in judgement when the numbers are SOOOOO big and the people’s ability/willingness to judge correctly is so diverse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a real brief overview of the federal policy for wildland firefighters:

Quote

Agency resources assigned to an incident or engaged in initial attack fire response will adhere to the current agency work/rest policy for determining length of duty day. No driver will drive more than 10 hours (behind the wheel) within any duty –day. Multiple drivers in a single vehicle may drive up to the duty-day limitation provided no driver exceeds the individual driving (behind the wheel) time limitation of 10 hours. A driver shall drive only if they have had at least 8 consecutive hours off duty before beginning a shift. Documentation of mitigation measures used to reduce fatigue is required for drivers who exceed 16 hour work shifts. See NWCG IIBMHB 10-21,5-13 forclarification.

General requirements are for a 2:1 work/rest cycle....meaning 1 hour of sleep for every 2 hours working. That puts the maximum work day on the fire at 16 hours. Of course there are exceptions built in but the decision must be approved by command staff on the fire and rationale documented. During the initial attack 24-36 hours it’s routinely exceeded and poorly documented...just understood. Once there are enough resources at the fire to establish a functional operational shift pattern, it’s almost never violated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Here is a real brief overview of the federal policy for wildland firefighters:

General requirements are for a 2:1 work/rest cycle....meaning 1 hour of sleep for every 2 hours working. That puts the maximum work day on the fire at 16 hours. Of course there are exceptions built in but the decision must be approved by command staff on the fire and rationale documented. During the initial attack 24-36 hours it’s routinely exceeded and poorly documented...just understood. Once there are enough resources at the fire to establish a functional operational shift pattern, it’s almost never violated.

I appreciate the insight,    I also wonder how many of my dad’s surgery complications were due to insufficient sleep by the resident.    If it’s not safe to drive a truck or fly a plane, why should it be considered a good learning environment or safe for the patients?   It’s just about hospital revenue.   The 2017 changes made it even worse.  

https://knowledgeplus.nejm.org/blog/acgme-duty-hours-not-the-only-big-change-in-requirements/

Starting July 1, 2017, the ACGME duty hour requirements will be tweaked. Interns will be allowed to work a full 24-hour shift — up from 16 hours — followed by up to 4 hours for activities related to patient safety, education, and effective transitions. This follows their senior counterparts — residents in years 2 and up, whose shifts were limited to 24 hours. Gone also is the curious “strategic napping” clause, which was suggested for residents on their 24 hour shifts as an “alertness management” strategy.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lark said:

I appreciate the insight,    I also wonder how many of my dad’s surgery complications were due to insufficient sleep by the resident.    If it’s not safe to drive a truck or fly a plane, why should it be considered a good learning environment or safe for the patients?   It’s just about hospital revenue.   The 2017 changes made it even worse.  

https://knowledgeplus.nejm.org/blog/acgme-duty-hours-not-the-only-big-change-in-requirements/

Starting July 1, 2017, the ACGME duty hour requirements will be tweaked. Interns will be allowed to work a full 24-hour shift — up from 16 hours — followed by up to 4 hours for activities related to patient safety, education, and effective transitions. This follows their senior counterparts — residents in years 2 and up, whose shifts were limited to 24 hours. Gone also is the curious “strategic napping” clause, which was suggested for residents on their 24 hour shifts as an “alertness management” strategy.

 

 

I think the medical profession is one of the last places the work/rest cycle is continually challenging to good decision making. Especially in those early educational years. Almost all of my Doc buddies (and I have quite a few) are either ED Docs or Trauma Surgeons. A smattering of pediatric intensivists etc. but mostly ED and Trauma. Most of the ED guys (who are generally in really busy areas of California) are in practices that as a regular routine work a rotating schedule of 1 month (or two or three) on days, 1 month of swing, and 1 month of night. Rinse repeat......they say they get used to it but really they don't. I think its well documented that a rotating shift schedule is the absolute worst you could work for health and likely decision making as well. Depending on how many trauma guys are in the practice (which is rarely more than 3 or 4) they all have a regular day filled with their practice and then are on call for trauma that presents to the ED "after hours". They rotate that but they're gonna catch call at least a week a month in most cases. In a busy urban system, they might as well just live at the hospital during those on call weeks.

Unless you are in general practice or a "non-emergency" specialty with a stable patient load, or even better an employee of a large health care provider.....I have no idea why anyone would want to be a doctor. 8+ years of REALLY EXPENSIVE school...sometimes 12-16, brutal training schedules, reimbursement is down, paperwork is up, insurance companies UR in your business all the time, tort liability is big and growing............no thanks....I'm forever grateful that was a road not taken...besides my parents couldn't afford it and I sure couldn't. ALMOST all the Doc's I know well have these moments mid-life where they start looking for ways out of clinical practice....except my orthopedic surgeon.....that guy s frigging KILLING IT. Owns a piece of his practice, owns a piece of the orthopedic specialty hospital he practices at, owns a piece of a company that manufactures one type of implant. Guy is KILLING IT. But frankly, that's pretty rare.

Nope.............I picked well...........(although in truth I didn't pick - I just kinda stumbled into it looking for something interesting and challenging........total luck)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, Two guys in a truck. Team. One is tired or sick and they would like to switch Drivers...no can do thanks to DOT regs!  Must stick to shif driving. Usually 12 hours on and 12 off. 

You would think that two people could work this out but no!!!!

4 clocks are going.Continuously. 8 hour - can be reset with a 30 min break. 11 hour driving- reset with a 10 hour break. 14 hour on duty - does not stop even if Driver is asleep - Waiting to unload, load etc. resets after 10 hours off. But easily destroys a large period of time. Then the most common is 70 hour in an 8 day week clock. 

NO Requirements for shippers or Receivets to provide parking. Local Police forcing trucks on the road. Lack of legal parking in some states. Ridiculous electronic logs that do not work well. The big money is being protected. Shippers, Receivers, etc. 

This is a minor event. April 12th is national. That is just a warm up. California is ripe for a shut down as Truckers are furious. 

Make laws with no idea how they are to be obeyed. Can’t run the engine if sitting still. So no AC. Put huge business in Qual Comms pocket but zero enforcement of their crappy product. 

Get tough enforcement PLEASE!!!! Wall Mart forces trucks without hours off their Distribution Centers even when parking exists!!!!

Tennesee refuses to drop concrete for parking yet wants trucks to park. 

Police will NEVER cite a shipper or Receiver who does not check in trucks fast enough. They cite the trucks for impeding traffic!!!!!!

Fix the problems or face a fully unionized angry group. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 2:07 PM, Left Shift said:

I wonder if they are taking turns giving two hour speeches on their phones?   

Question  Do truckers still use CBs?  Or is all that "10-4 good buddy" stuff a relic along with the telephone booth and video stores.

 

That's like sooo whey back

Drivers now all text each other

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO DUE PROCESS:

The CSA Point Process:   

If a Trucker gets a warning ticket the Driver cannot appeal the ticket.  The CSA Points go on the license. 

So Any Badge can write a warning ticket and be Judge and Jury. (Includes Weigh Stations, Agricultural, Community College 6 week grad local Police)  It is not lost on US Citizens that drive a truck that Illegal Immigrants get Due Process but not the Driver. 

INTERSTATE COMMERCE PROTECTIONS do not seem to include trucks..... Once again Locals are not being policed by the FEDS.   Large amounts of Citations are fine for Trucks that are clearly engaged in Interstate Commerce.   Instead of working with or against local Shippers and Receivers to resolve problems lets just cite Trucks!!!

1. Parking around Shippers / Receivers -   The Shipper / Receivers are who schedules the pick ups and deliveries.   So shouldn't they be held responsible for the Trucks?  Why are we citing trucks who arrived on time but cannot get into the Shipper / Receiver?     

2. NO THRU TRUCKS -  Locals designating their part of a Truck Route to not allow trucks!    Whoops - Your State designated that road as a Truck Route.  Then you failed to even report the change to the various mapping companies (GPS) !     No signs that are lit at night.   But lets write tickets!

3. WAY TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE NEEDED FOR POLICE TO DO THEIR JOB - Too many different trucks and processes 

This Driver gets 23 CSA Points for his Air Bags (Suspension being soft!!)   They are supposed to be soft if the Trailer has a small amount of weight in it.  But some State DOT Weigh Station Cop does not know this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvHa6M1YJc

 

Even when a Police Officer specializes in Trucks they can't correctly enforce the laws.   Local Police are completely out of their comfort zone.  Supposedly only State or Federal Law Enforcement is to deal with Logs.   Local Police are to hold the vehicle and have State or Feds respond.  Some Local Police attempt to enforce logs.

The constant problems with the Electronic Logs.   Not just the major change from AORB??S to ELDS but the complete crap fest of LOGs and services make past Electronic offerings to Sail and Power owners look perfect.   Qualcom is the worst offender IMHO.   

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Protests - 

If the subject interests you there is an unorganized group called Black Smoke Matters.    There likely will not be any nationwide shutdown this year.   However in 2020 we may see better organization.   If the Teamsters want to organize this is a very good time to do it.   There appears to be a lot of anger out there.   Whether that works its way into protests or shutdowns is debatable. 

California - Happy I do not live there.   So much anger from West Coast Drivers.    Good Luck!   That would be an easy State to physically stop traffic.   Worse is just to stay home or protest at Truck stops.  No Fuel = No Trucks.  

Racism - Lots of non-white angry Truck Drivers.   I wonder why???   hmmmm.... Lots of ex military Drivers... 

My expectation is that an average Driver will take April 12th off.   If protests get organized the average Driver will avoid trouble and not drive.   This should not affect freight rates if the protests are only a single day.  I really see this as either a blip on the radar that vanishes as States improve parking or at least a protest movement that will not get organized for  several years.  The FEDS have made changes allowing for a cushion in enforcement.   One recent change is to allow time to get to safe parking after a visit to a Shipper or Receiver.  So an hour to find parking.   If the States and Feds continue to make safe, smart changes protests will have a hard time getting active participants. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

That's like sooo whey back

Drivers now all text each other

 

CB's are actively used at:

  Accidents, Construction Zones and any other Traffic Slow down.   Truckers want to know what lane to be in and how to block traffic so there is no stop and go traffic.  If there is only one lane open Semi Trucks will block you so you cannot force merging traffic near the single lane.

CB's are not actively used do to the crazy crap found out there.  Think Political Anarchy on crack. 

TEXTING is banned in all States.   Very easy to investigate if there is an accident.   No way to TEXT a truck without knowing the Drivers Phone number.  CBs are still used if a problem occurs or a Thank you is in order. 

However the days of colorful CB Handles are gone.  Now it is "Driver" or a description of the Trailer or Tractor - So  "Red Peterbilt Northbound I96"    "Swift"  

Cell Phones are falling out of favor as enforcement is very easy.    The 2019 Truck has a Data Link usually a Verizon or T Mobile hotspot.  Drivers are trying to get Cell Phone Apps off the Cell Phone to some form of Ipad.  That way the huge number of Truck apps can be used legally.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Kent H said:

CB's are actively used at:

  Accidents, Construction Zones and any other Traffic Slow down.   Truckers want to know what lane to be in and how to block traffic so there is no stop and go traffic.  If there is only one lane open Semi Trucks will block you so you cannot force merging traffic near the single lane.

CB's are not actively used do to the crazy crap found out there.  Think Political Anarchy on crack. 

TEXTING is banned in all States.   Very easy to investigate if there is an accident.   No way to TEXT a truck without knowing the Drivers Phone number.  CBs are still used if a problem occurs or a Thank you is in order. 

However the days of colorful CB Handles are gone.  Now it is "Driver" or a description of the Trailer or Tractor - So  "Red Peterbilt Northbound I96"    "Swift"  

Cell Phones are falling out of favor as enforcement is very easy.    The 2019 Truck has a Data Link usually a Verizon or T Mobile hotspot.  Drivers are trying to get Cell Phone Apps off the Cell Phone to some form of Ipad.  That way the huge number of Truck apps can be used legally.   

 

We share the road !

I could (have in the past) but wouldn't drive a truck

It's the world against you while in a BigRig

Up till the 80'z it was a Wild Frontier 

I picked staying local and being home every night in a union job w a pension

Now I drive for the Fun of it and some koin  like last Friday $350 for a dayz run from DAGO to Anaheim & back 12.5 hrs  ... 4hrs behind the wheel 

No stopping at scales, no lifting, no getting dirty and $100 tip (making it what I got)

Nice to not own and just drive and keep the customers Safe and Happy

Nice to not need to work so ya can pick and chose and keep it to a few daz a month, except in the Summer when life doesn't allow the time to work.

Being allowed in HOV lanes and not speed limited by a trailer helps too

NonUnion w No benifets but I have them now anyway - so it pays better

Would hate to be trying to start building a future by driving these days

 

 

FB_IMG_1552213574342.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213586350.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213609687.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213620306.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woody 

Nice Ride and I suspect great job!

Like many Transportation types I end up moving from some form of management to driving and back.    Always surprised by how many higher ups have their CDL.   Bill Ford - Chairman of Ford has his and does drive.   

Yes there is considerable head aches in the Semi Truck world.   Getting Over The Road OTR Drivers (Interstate) is very difficult.   There are some great jobs especially in Driving that do not involve the problems stated above.  CDL-A Drivers are surprised at the pay and we lose them. 

Good luck and hope to see you on the road.

Kent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kent H said:

Woody 

Nice Ride and I suspect great job!

Like many Transportation types I end up moving from some form of management to driving and back.    Always surprised by how many higher ups have their CDL.   Bill Ford - Chairman of Ford has his and does drive.   

Yes there is considerable head aches in the Semi Truck world.   Getting Over The Road OTR Drivers (Interstate) is very difficult.   There are some great jobs especially in Driving that do not involve the problems stated above.  CDL-A Drivers are surprised at the pay and we lose them. 

Good luck and hope to see you on the road.

Kent 

I go to great lengths to kerp it from being a job

I don't do mornings, and only take FUN groups preferring to keep to the Limo end rather than the Party jobs

I got my Everything licence in 1975 but gave up the HazMat when it became a clusterfuck a while ago

Never understood why they wouldn't want more people to understand placards and what to do in a HazMat situations 

Never pulled tripples or a tank but I have the license to do so

Can't wait for the day when having trace anounts of THC won't end yer career,  having ate a brownie 20 daz ago does Not an impaired driver make But it doesn't matter so ya Must remain Clean ...Leagle or not .

I would Never want to drive cross country where when you get there affests what you make

I enjoy the ride along the way, if Im in the seat I'm getting paid, when I drive I Roll and making the best of whatever situation

I don't get wound up over other's antics and road rage is Off my plate. It helps to know yer not driving because you must

Its Fun to drive different stuff like a few different 45' busses and some 30' baby busses or my Harley

Nice to get paid for something that is Fun (haven't figured a wsy to get paid to ride the Harley yet)

Lemme know if ya ever get out DAGO way !

 

FB_IMG_1552216108225.jpg

FB_IMG_1552216117510.jpg

FB_IMG_1552216127957.jpg

FB_IMG_1552216137113.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The disparaging remarks of some here who don't care about the plight of OTR drivers is disheartening. Long haul is a shit way to make a living, the truckers are at the (lack of) mercy of damn near every carrier, shipper, receiver, cop, you name it they come into contact with. Even the lot lizard are ugly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

The disparaging remarks of some here who don't care about the plight of OTR drivers is disheartening. Long haul is a shit way to make a living, the truckers are at the (lack of) mercy of damn near every carrier, shipper, receiver, cop, you name it they come into contact with. Even the lot lizard are ugly. 

Agreed.    I’m not entirely for the drivers  but am against fatigue in every industry, hence my condemnation of hospitals.   Anybody whose hauled a trailer near the maximum tow rating of the vehicle for a few hours off freeway, or even a few miles in winter weather, has some understanding of the difficulty of the job.   Add livestock or liquids, I honestly think it would be easier to automate airliners then rigs.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

 Long haul is a shit way to make a living, the truckers are at the (lack of) mercy of damn near every carrier, shipper, receiver, cop, you name it they come into contact with. Even the lot lizard are ugly. 

Agreed, so is it time to to take the cross country stuff and put it on rails? Leaving the in state stuff to the 18 wheelers.

I dunno so just askin’

VM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

We share the road !

I could (have in the past) but wouldn't drive a truck

It's the world against you while in a BigRig

Up till the 80'z it was a Wild Frontier 

I picked staying local and being home every night in a union job w a pension

Now I drive for the Fun of it and some koin  like last Friday $350 for a dayz run from DAGO to Anaheim & back 12.5 hrs  ... 4hrs behind the wheel 

No stopping at scales, no lifting, no getting dirty and $100 tip (making it what I got)

Nice to not own and just drive and keep the customers Safe and Happy

Nice to not need to work so ya can pick and chose and keep it to a few daz a month, except in the Summer when life doesn't allow the time to work.

Being allowed in HOV lanes and not speed limited by a trailer helps too

NonUnion w No benifets but I have them now anyway - so it pays better

Would hate to be trying to start building a future by driving these days

 

 

FB_IMG_1552213574342.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213586350.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213609687.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213620306.jpg

What a god awful mess in an accident....I guess I'd be sitting in the back...SMH...I could not relax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

We share the road !

I could (have in the past) but wouldn't drive a truck

It's the world against you while in a BigRig

Up till the 80'z it was a Wild Frontier 

I picked staying local and being home every night in a union job w a pension

Now I drive for the Fun of it and some koin  like last Friday $350 for a dayz run from DAGO to Anaheim & back 12.5 hrs  ... 4hrs behind the wheel 

No stopping at scales, no lifting, no getting dirty and $100 tip (making it what I got)

Nice to not own and just drive and keep the customers Safe and Happy

Nice to not need to work so ya can pick and chose and keep it to a few daz a month, except in the Summer when life doesn't allow the time to work.

Being allowed in HOV lanes and not speed limited by a trailer helps too

NonUnion w No benifets but I have them now anyway - so it pays better

Would hate to be trying to start building a future by driving these days

 

 

FB_IMG_1552213574342.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213586350.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213609687.jpg

FB_IMG_1552213620306.jpg

Looks like a Holiday inn lounge waiting room on wheels....

 I'm sure it's very nice, but..... You'd either have to pay me to get on board, or be taking me from the Holiday inn, to the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, vibroman said:

11 hrs driving with 30 min break after 8. Can use 14 hrs exemption one or 2days in a week. no than 60 hrs on duty time in 7 day period.

there are exeptions but not many

 

and nothing about the trucks coming over the southern border with absolutely no safety inspections..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Looks like a Holiday inn lounge waiting room on wheels....

 I'm sure it's very nice, but..... You'd either have to pay me to get on board, or be taking me from the Holiday inn, to the airport.

Try to picture it with three stripper poles all occupied.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vibroman said:

Agreed, so is it time to to take the cross country stuff and put it on rails? Leaving the in state stuff to the 18 wheelers.

I dunno so just askin’

VM

The railroads are running at near capacity and severely limited in flexibility.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lark said:

Agreed.    I’m not entirely for the drivers  but am against fatigue in every industry, hence my condemnation of hospitals.   Anybody whose hauled a trailer near the maximum tow rating of the vehicle for a few hours off freeway, or even a few miles in winter weather, has some understanding of the difficulty of the job.   Add livestock or liquids, I honestly think it would be easier to automate airliners then rigs.   

Fatigue is a huge issue that is not being adequately addressed in most transportation industries. Many employees are working on call and there are more near misses than you or I want to know. I just retired from the railroad and have plenty of  horror stories.

The news about interns hours being increased is disturbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

What a god awful mess in an accident....I guess I'd be sitting in the back...SMH...I could not relax

Ya, yer place in the back ............ is the Shitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People love to hate trucks and truckers. But absolutely love the fact that every type of store is stocked with every type of commodity and goods imaginable. And really love ordering a new boat widget and getting 2 or 3 day delivery across country. 

Like everything we as consumers are driving the industry to what it is today. 

In 2016 there were 37461 traffic fatalities. About 10pct of those involved, but weren't necessarily caused by, trucks. 

You have a far greater chance of being killed by a drunk, sleepy, texting or otherwise distracted driver then by a truck. That's where the outrage belongs.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:07 AM, Kent H said:

If there is only one lane open Semi Trucks will block you so you cannot force merging traffic near the single lane.

 

 

Anyone, truck or car, that does this should be shot on the spot.

You would think professional drivers would understand the zipper merge concept. 

I watched some asshole trucker shut down a mile of a lane because there was work ahead. FUCK THEM AND ANYONE WHO SUPPORTS BS LIKE THAT.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a previous career I drove truck so I know a little about this. The quality and professionalism of truck drivers has obviously declined in recent years. As always there are numerous contributing factors.

There is a shortage of drivers. Long haul is a terrible life style, people that don't have better opportunities fill the ranks. It used to be a higher percentage of them were southerners, they were cliquish but professional and took pride. Now a lot of them are from countries where riding in a car is just plain risky and they bring their poor attitudes with them. American drivers are getting more aggressive too, the truckers get frustrated after being cut off regularly on top of being part of the general decline in driver courtesy. And cell phones... fuck me. Fatigued, uncaring drivers texting and jurkin' off to bad porn.

At my last job I had to ride in crew shuttles, it was the most dangerous part of an already dangerous job. They kill and seriously injure more of us more than actual railroading. There are insurance policies being sold specifically to cover riding in these shuttles. These drivers are underpaid, poorly treated and work on call in many cases. As a result a lot of them are not competent people. The better drivers in many cases are night blind medicated geriatrics that at least have a good work ethic.

Rant over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always, the firsthand experience here is interesting.  Now that the new yorker's online free, enjoy this article by our greatest nonfiction writer besides HSThompson, John McPhee if you like.  I was so intrigued by it during boot camp at great lakes that I stayed up after hours reading by the light from the bathroom, got busted and wound up doing many pushups, each one worth it.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/02/17/a-fleet-of-one    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I appreciate it when the trucks block the guys who try to jump the merge.

Rather than just direct profanities toward you I will instead try to educate your ignorant fucking ass. 

 

 

When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

 

 

 But studyupon study proves the upstanding early-mergers among us are just creating a single long, slow line of traffic that's not only frustrating for drivers, it's inefficient because it minimizes the amount of usable road — and it even causes accidents.

 

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, worthless said:

Rather than just direct profanities toward you I will instead try to educate your ignorant fucking ass. 

 

 

When most drivers see the first “lane closed ahead” sign in a work zone, they slow too quickly and move to the lane that will continue through the construction area. This driving behavior can lead to unexpected and dangerous lane switching, serious crashes and road rage.

Zipper merging, however, benefits individual drivers as well as the public at large. Research shows that these dangers decrease when motorists use both lanes until reaching the defined merge area and then alternate in “zipper” fashion into the open lane. Watch a brief video of how it works.

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/

 

 

 But studyupon study proves the upstanding early-mergers among us are just creating a single long, slow line of traffic that's not only frustrating for drivers, it's inefficient because it minimizes the amount of usable road — and it even causes accidents.

 

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/traffic-lane-zipper-merge.htm

 

 

 

Gee, thanks Dad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this