Mudsailor

Flying through John Wayne airport Orange County

If anyone is flying through John Wayne/Santa Ana/Orange County airport they have a very cool Hobie Alter display. opposite gates 1-4 at the north end of the terminal (mostly the Delta airlines gates)

covers pretty much everything, a couple of surf boards and lots of photos of boats, with good descriptions and explanations. overall a very well done almost museum quality display, well worth the 15-20 minutes it will take to read it. If you're passing through the airport make your way there 

Tell them to get fucked.

Wayne was an asshole, not much question about that, but he was the biggest movie star in the world for decades. If they can name an airport after those shitbag Dulles brothers they can name one after the Duke.

Fuck P.C.

• Like 7

Would like to see that Hobo Alternative display, but I have a question: 

Do they have John Wayne toilet paper at the airport ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

[  .  .  .  ] Wayne was an asshole, not much question about that, [  .  .  .  ]

??? 

Here's my John Wayne story.  I was working in a propeller repair shop in Seattle which catered to bigger ships like Wayne's Wild Goose.  During his voyages to Canada in the summer, he'd sometimes hit logs (common in Canada) and damage his props.  We were working on his props one Friday when an hour before quitting time Wayne and some of his buddies show up with multiple cases of iced beer.  He announces he'll cover everybody's wages for the hour (8+- people) and just wanted to thank us for putting him at the head of the line, etc.  After touring the shop we sat around and shot the shit like all sailors do when alcohol is involved.  I cherish that experience; he didn't seem to be an asshole at all.

• Like 2

My John Wayne story:

The best area for racing dinghies in Newport Harbor is the area bounded by Lido Island, Bay Island, Balboa Island, Harbor Island, and Bayshores. This area is now the bailiwick of the Harbor 20 fleet. John Wayne's house was on the southern tip of Bayshores and his pier extended into the bay (red circle on photo).

The deal is, when the wind is southerly to westerly (90% of the time) you can get a good lift on port tack near that tip of land. The closer to the point, the better the lift. John Wayne kept Dobermans and they would run out to the end of that pier and protect his property from youngsters who might be planning a seaborne invasion. The dogs would bark up a storm. Intimidating. So the smart tactic was to sail as close as you dared without getting bit, then, as you pass the dogs, splash them with some water. This got them REALLY pissed off and they would bark twice as loud at the boats behind you, scaring them into tacking earlier and thus not getting as much advantage from the lift!

4-points_newport_harbor.jpg.5e43c94212640749b07890118d094692.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, axolotl said:

??? 

Here's my John Wayne story.  I was working in a propeller repair shop in Seattle which catered to bigger ships like Wayne's Wild Goose.  During his voyages to Canada in the summer, he'd sometimes hit logs (common in Canada) and damage his props.  We were working on his props one Friday when an hour before quitting time Wayne and some of his buddies show up with multiple cases of iced beer.  He announces he'll cover everybody's wages for the hour (8+- people) and just wanted to thank us for putting him at the head of the line, etc.  After touring the shop we sat around and shot the shit like all sailors do when alcohol is involved.  I cherish that experience; he didn't seem to be an asshole at all.

Many stories about him up here that were quite the opposite.

Wonder what would have happened if you hadn't "put him at the head of the line, etc".

He was also a right winger who never went to war but was always willing, even enthusiastic, about sending other people's kids.

I was always a big fan of Wayne the actor. Wayne the man, not so much.

thread drift, anyone?

Yes, when at the Duke, check the Hobie display.  Several of his early Boards, skateboards, some Hobie Hawks and lots of cool photos. Both terminals.  Also a mini model of the Dana Point store in the middle 

As a little kid, worked as a dock boy. Pumped Henry Fonda's power boat with over 200 gallons of fuel. In those days, you had to squeeze the trigger (no locks) and keep the nozzle grounded (in contact) with the intake line. Every 10 minutes or so, switching hands to prevent cramping up. Tip? Zero! Our main income was tips. Folks with old beaters would give to a $20 if you treated them with respect. Fonda? Nadda. He was the definition of an asshole.

Edit: in three weeks, I change planes in Santa Ana. Have some time, so I will be sure to look for the Hobie exhibit.  Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Varan said:

Fonda? Nadda. He was the definition of an asshole.

On hisse deathebed, hisse son Peter hade to force hime to finialley admitte that he loved hise owen soin.  Screwey!              :)

22 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Which grit do you prefer?

I like to start with 80 and work up 

6 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

How about true grit?

th.jpeg-1.jpg.7df9caee02eeb888804f61b108a7abfa.jpg

20 minutes ago, Varan said:

I kinda liked the hopper on a chopper.

Didde you catche Phil Spectorre as the dealere?  Allwayes maide me laffe.......             :)

In less controversial news, as of last week there was a Hobie 16 in Ft M.eyers International at the (east?) end of concourse by Air Canada check in. It's advertising the Hobie 16 Worlds at Fort M.eyers in November https://hobieworlds.com/  They have various poser boats hanging around in the airport as well. You can almost feel the fuel consumption just looking at them.

Hey this is super weird, if I try to spell M.eyers without the period it edits it to "*********" when I post. Is that word restricted for some reason?

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I'm gone a try that, but probably have to go to 20 grit to get rid of my piles.

But the real difference is, you know, that John Wayne toilet paper does not take any shit from the Indians...

5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

You know, if you wipe immediately after defecating, it doesn't crust up in your crack and you can proceed directly to wiping with slips of perfumed silk.

6 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

In less controversial news, as of last week there was a Hobie 16 in Ft M.eyers International at the (east?) end of concourse by Air Canada check in. It's advertising the Hobie 16 Worlds at Fort M.eyers in November https://hobieworlds.com/  They have various poser boats hanging around in the airport as well. You can almost feel the fuel consumption just looking at them.

Hey this is super weird, if I try to spell M.eyers without the period it edits it to "*********" when I post. Is that word restricted for some reason?

Fort Myers

It's like flying out of your backyard.  I have flown out of there for years and I am pretty sure I could never fly to LAX again.  The Hobie tribute has been there a bit of time.  Isn't there a cafe there too?

Love the reactions when they take off and have to cut the engines due to OC noise restrictions.  It catches first timers off guard a bit and the ascending is a bit more vertical than most!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, proOC said:

It's like flying out of your backyard.  I have flown out of there for years and I am pretty sure I could never fly to LAX again.  The Hobie tribute has been there a bit of time.  Isn't there a cafe there too?

Love the reactions when they take off and have to cut the engines due to OC noise restrictions.  It catches first timers off guard a bit and the ascending is a bit more vertical than most!

Yeah the cafe has been there a few years.  The display is newish

I was just translating the flight attendants warning to my seatmate on Friday-they floor it over Costa Mesa, cut it over Newport Beach, and punch it again once we're over the water.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

You know, if you wipe immediately after defecating, it doesn't crust up in your crack and you can proceed directly to wiping with slips of perfumed silk.

I really didn't need to read that.

9 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I'll pick the Dude over the Duke any day.

duke-dude_waybe-bridges.jpg.77a7d1440d33c8d35edeaa73cf132b1e.jpg

I call that bold talk for a one eyed fatman.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I'm gone a try that, but probably have to go to 20 grit to get rid of my piles.

But the real difference is, you know, that John Wayne toilet paper does not take any shit from the Indians...

Have to have experienced C Rats to know what he's talking about. If you don't, well you don't. Nice one Fiji. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

it'll do the same thing with your password. For instance, my password is ******, try it out, it's pretty cool. SA has lots of little features to keep its users from getting either themselves or the website in (more) hot water. 

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

it'll do the same thing with your password. For instance, my password is ******, try it out, it's pretty cool. SA has lots of little features to keep its users from getting either themselves or the website in (more) hot water. 

That is cool. Frankly the feature where you click on the dot and it takes you to the first unread post in the thread is the greatest thing in the history of internet fora and every other otherwise excellent sites (all of the machining, welding and other boat sites) I frequent are totally lagging in comparison. 

4 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

As easy as ABC!

8 hours ago, some dude said:

I was just translating the flight attendants warning to my seatmate on Friday-they floor it over Costa Mesa, cut it over Newport Beach, and punch it again once we're over the water.

The take-off flight pattern is carefully chosen to minimize the number of people impacted by the noise. Basically right down the middle of Back Bay and just hitting Balboa Island for that last bit.

I was talking with a very over-privileged woman who proclaimed she was running for City Council so she could move the flight pattern to anywhere "not over her house" which is on Balboa Island. She thought it would be better for the pattern to include the Santa Ana River. It didn't matter to her that her proposed sound footprint would affect around 100 x more residents than the current flight pattern or that the laws of physics preclude the 2 low-speed 90-degree turns. These are the fucking selfish idiots who run for political office.

As an aside, the horizontal array of jet engines is tailor-made to to create the narrowest sound footprint and it was derived pretty much by accident. Audio line arrays as used in stereo tower speakers and PAs are made so the sound pressure is directed to the sides, not up or down. Turn that on its side and you've got the noise sources of the jet engines making the narrowest footprint. On the downside, you can hear them coming from miles away if you're lined up on axis.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

How can you go with the Dude? He's got the patch on the wrong eye...

39 minutes ago, apophenia said:

OC is such a special place.

OC needs a lot of catching up if it wants to equal SF in the human-shit-on-sidewalk ratio. Just give it time; it might catch up.

20 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

But it sure would have fun to see the Duke star in a premake of the Big Lebowski. "Fill your hands Jesus!"

3 hours ago, apophenia said:

OC is such a special place.

I make a pretty good living off of these rubes. Sticking it to them every day. 

19 hours ago, kinardly said:

Have to have experienced C Rats to know what he's talking about. If you don't, well you don't. Nice one Fiji. 

MRE's are different.  Same sandpaper (John Wayne TP... rough, tough, and never took shit off any assholes).  But new technique with MRE TP.  Fold it in four.  Tear out a small chunk at the corner of the fold, unfold, should be a squarish hole in the middle of the 12x12 inch sheet.  Don't throw away the chunk you tore off.  Insert your index finger through the hole of the unfolded sheet of TP.  Wipe your ass with your index finger, flick the bits at the local foliage, use the TP to wipe your finger off as you remove the sheet of TP from the paper, use the small bit you tore off to clean under your fingernail.   That's what we told the FNGs anyhow.

14 hours ago, jackolantern said:

As easy as ABC!

see! I just see ***!

54 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

MRE's are different.  Same sandpaper (John Wayne TP... rough, tough, and never took shit off any assholes).  But new technique with MRE TP.  Fold it in four.  Tear out a small chunk at the corner of the fold, unfold, should be a squarish hole in the middle of the 12x12 inch sheet.  Don't throw away the chunk you tore off.  Insert your index finger through the hole of the unfolded sheet of TP.  Wipe your ass with your index finger, flick the bits at the local foliage, use the TP to wipe your finger off as you remove the sheet of TP from the paper, use the small bit you tore off to clean under your fingernail.   That's what we told the FNGs anyhow.

wtf... 

1 minute ago, mustang__1 said:

wtf... 

There is no better way to answer some young private's question about how a 12"x12" square of toilet paper roughly the texture of legal pad paper, is supposed to suffice for wiping their ass in the field.   

Once the young lad had received that depressing answer and stewed over it for a while, somebody else would kindly chime in and say, more or less, "well, fucko, you shoulda asked what you needed to bring on this field problem.  The packing list Top gave you is CYA bullshit.  Anybody would have told you to bring baby wipes to wipe your ass, along with ramen noodles, hexamethane squares, tobasco sauce, and a poncho liner instead of all your snivel gear, and to bust your MRE's out of the pouches and throw away the shit you don't need."  Wiping your ass and armpits and crotch, making food warm and edible, and keeping the pack near or under 100 pounds were critical. 

So it was a mild form of hazing eventually resulting in sharing the wisdom of the tribe.   And good lord, I googled it, there's web pages and youtube vids discussing the "one sheet" method.  LOL. 

We actually relied on baby wipes.  The only use I ever found for John Wayne toilet paper was helping to start a covered Dakota fire although they might have helped clot up a puncture wound in a pinch if you rolled it tight.  And as bad as it was, it was still waaaayyyy better than the waxy TP the British issued.  Jeeeeebus that stuff was truly awful and didn't work at all unless you like your TP set on the "spackle" setting rather than the "wipe" setting.  But it did have a watermark of the crown and an "ER" stamped on every single friggin' perforated sheet, which made it seem classy, so there's that...

3 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

There is no better way to answer some young private's question about how a 12"x12" square of toilet paper roughly the texture of legal pad paper, is supposed to suffice for wiping their ass in the field.   

Once the young lad had received that depressing answer and stewed over it for a while, somebody else would kindly chime in and say, more or less, "well, fucko, you shoulda asked what you needed to bring on this field problem.  The packing list Top gave you is CYA bullshit.  Anybody would have told you to bring baby wipes to wipe your ass, along with ramen noodles, hexamethane squares, tobasco sauce, and a poncho liner instead of all your snivel gear, and to bust your MRE's out of the pouches and throw away the shit you don't need."  Wiping your ass and armpits and crotch, making food warm and edible, and keeping the pack near or under 100 pounds were critical. 

So it was a mild form of hazing eventually resulting in sharing the wisdom of the tribe.   And good lord, I googled it, there's web pages and youtube vids discussing the "one sheet" method.  LOL. 

We actually relied on baby wipes.  The only use I ever found for John Wayne toilet paper was helping to start a covered Dakota fire although they might have helped clot up a puncture wound in a pinch if you rolled it tight.  And as bad as it was, it was still waaaayyyy better than the waxy TP the British issued.  Jeeeeebus that stuff was truly awful and didn't work at all unless you like your TP set on the "spackle" setting rather than the "wipe" setting.  But it did have a watermark of the crown and an "ER" stamped on every single friggin' perforated sheet, which made it seem classy, so there's that...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

John Wayne airport is still way better than John Denver airport....

I hear John Denver airport is out of fuel but still serving drinks. 

40 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I hear John Denver airport is out of fuel but still serving drinks. 

yow! 

4 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

And as bad as it was, it was still waaaayyyy better than the waxy TP the British issued.  Jeeeeebus that stuff was truly awful and didn't work at all unless you like your TP set on the "spackle" setting rather than the "wipe" setting.  But it did have a watermark of the crown and an "ER" stamped on every single friggin' perforated sheet, which made it seem classy, so there's that...

Ist re-ussaballe.             :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

it was still waaaayyyy better than the waxy TP the British issued.  Jeeeeebus that stuff was truly awful and didn't work at all unless you like your TP set on the "spackle" setting rather than the "wipe" setting.  But it did have a watermark of the crown and an "ER" stamped on every single friggin' perforated sheet, which made it seem classy, so there's that...

That stuff was the worst. What sort of mind could conceive of a shiny finish on TP? It had to require some kind of extra processing to achieve that completely useless finish. The folded and interleaved squares added the final touch.

Way worse than the worst British car ever made.

It was equaled by their nylon bed sheets though - ever sleep on those things? They felt like they let the hairs of the blanket stick through so you got a sort of thinly bristled hairbrush effect.

Simply incredible how that shit ever got to market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist re-ussaballe.             :)

An English joke frequently heard the garrison NCO's mess about whichever Scottish regiment was handiest for abuse - in our case usually the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders* because the Garrison Sergeant Major was an Argyle. 

"The jocks were out in force celebrating last night.  Turns out Jock the Frock convinced the regimental commander to pay to have the regiment's condom repaired." 

*AKA the Argyle & Sutherland Wanderers, a good football team name...

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That stuff was the worst. What sort of mind could conceive of a shiny finish on TP? It had to require some kind of extra processing to achieve that completely useless finish. The folded and interleaved squares added the final touch.

Way worse than the worst British car ever made.

It was equaled by their nylon bed sheets though - ever sleep on those things? They felt like they let the hairs of the blanket stick through so you got a sort of thinly bristled hairbrush effect.

Simply incredible how that shit ever got to market.

Glad I'm not the only one to remember that, and honestly, I forgot but you are correct, it came out accordion style. Weirdest thing ever.  Words aren't really adequate to describe how ludicrous their bad attempt at toilet paper was.  Use that crispy wax paper stuff, and you would wind up with shit smeared from your taint to roughly the middle of your back.  So how do you know about it - are you former Canuckistani forces who enjoyed the treat of serving alongside Her Majesty's Finest? 

As for the nylon bedsheets... well, I preferred to sleep on top of a WRAC if one was available.  And, like all British forces, they truly enjoyed US military top cover.  LOL. I don't actually remember the sheets except as sort of hospital sheet types of things, and the issue wooly blankets were more or less the same as what U-Haul provides, gratis, less scratchy than some of the US Army shit, which was probably rejects from the Battle of the Bulge. The British left the Yanks alone so long as we didn't set anything on fire within the mess or spit tobacco juice on the floor (don't ask how I know about those standards) and despairing of the issue cot - my shoulders hung off both sides, my ass sunk nearly to the floor - I bought a queen size rig from Ikea.  It became a relatively popular over-nighting spot. No, I wasn't that much of a stud.  But a gal would kill to get a decent night's lack of sleep on a nice bed, I found.  Ah, the days of my well-spent youth.  Good times.  Except for the dingleberries.

I lived there for 2 1/2 years in a couple of stretches.

We had that accordion folded single serve paper here too in my childhood but it wasn't waxed as thoroughly as the Brit stuff. :D

Still pretty nasty stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lex Teredo said:

Turns out Jock the Frock convinced the regimental commander to pay to have the regiment's condom repaired." 

No dissapecte imtended, butte WTF?                                                 :)

I would never vote for the guy but shhhhsshee

I met him early when he was with his family supported his son, Ethan, racing motocross out at escape country, always keen to say hi and keep a low profile

Next time was when we had our cruising sailboat next to him on battleship row, crew was cool and if he was ever around would always say to "say hi and grab a beverage" when we wanted

was a great customer at both Woodys and the Ritz, easy to talk to and a OK tipper. Always willing to buy a round.

The Hobie gig at SNA was setup by the Surfing Heritage Foundation, at least I think so. Another worthy cause

On 3/11/2019 at 6:04 PM, hhn92 said:
On 3/11/2019 at 12:00 AM, Somebody Else said:

How can you go with the Dude? He's got the patch on the wrong eye...

No, it's on the right eye.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I lived there for 2 1/2 years in a couple of stretches.

We had that accordion folded single serve paper here too in my childhood but it wasn't waxed as thoroughly as the Brit stuff. :D

Still pretty nasty stuff.

still better than some countries

index%20finger.jpg

The Japanese are working on putting a complete ToTo Washlet into every bento box meal. True story.

53 minutes ago, IStream said:

The Japanese are working on putting a complete ToTo Washlet into every bento box meal. True story.

Why is Japan there is a jet of water followed by a nice warm jet of air. No paper no finger no problem. 

37 minutes ago, HuronBouy said:

Why is Japan there is a jet of water followed by a nice warm jet of air. No paper no finger no problem. 

No, but you'd better be very accurate at hitting the hole in the floor. Westerners might need to practice up. 

On 3/9/2019 at 9:55 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

True grit:o

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kinardly said:

No, but you'd better be very accurate at hitting the hole in the floor. Westerners might need to practice up. 

You are sitting down very few stand-ups in hotels that I am aware of. 

Reminds me of Frank Zappa tune called "In France" 

"They got some coffee eatin right through the cup 

An when you go ca-ca they make you stand up

If you're not careful it will stick to your cheeks 

You'll smell like a native for a couple o weeks"

But I digress

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HuronBouy said:

You are sitting down very few stand-ups in hotels that I am aware of. 

Reminds me of Frank Zappa tune called "In France" 

"They got some coffee eatin right through the cup 

An when you go ca-ca they make you stand up

If you're not careful it will stick to your cheeks 

You'll smell like a native for a couple o weeks"

But I digress

Phi Zappa Crappa

Had the poster on my dorm wall.

Edited by Fat Point Jack

The waxed TP sheets seem useless until you are in Fiji and all the fluffy TP squares are stuck together in one humid mass.

I guess the locals must use the ocean like a bidet?

2 hours ago, apophenia said:

The waxed TP sheets seem useless until you are in Fiji and all the fluffy TP squares are stuck together in one humid mass.

Bathtub, bidet, it's just a matter of scale.

3 hours ago, apophenia said:

I guess the locals must use the ocean like a bidet

Wonder why this threat has turned to shit, I mean those Hobiecats may look like bananas but they are not that crappy.

Anyway, not sure how well the locals clean their arses, it's a kind of hard to spot the difference. I do know that they build their pig stables over the water, and that can get quite smelly at low tide.

And personally I prefer to just jump in the ocean, and try to out swim those bloody turts that keep following me. Probably all more information than you require, but just one more anecdote on that normally useless shiny toilet paper.

A rather well know yacht designer, still in the early days of his career, did a rudder drawing on one of those bits of tp while he was on the plane to the boatyard. Probably the only bit of paper he could find, and after all it resembles old fashioned drawing paper. True story, my grandpa told me.

18 hours ago, apophenia said:

Any public pool or public Jacuzzi spa works great! :ph34r:

On 3/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, Somebody Else said:

Any public pool or public Jacuzzi spa works great! :ph34r:

when you iron man a 3 day race, you bet it does.