Sign in to follow this  
kent_island_sailor

No Deal Brexit

Somebody's going to blink, hit the pause button, and order another referendum.

Maybe.

Are you saying they're going to fix stupid?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Are you saying they're going to fix stupid?

They may slow it down a bit. Entropy never sleeps.

12 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

So correct me if I am wrong, but are we counting down to no deal Brexit?

kinda looks that way. Last night were interviews with some ceramics manufacturers (very unhappy) and their MP (very happy) who basically said, "Yeah, will be painful, but we'll open new markets! I don't regret my vote at all!"

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Somebody's going to blink, hit the pause button, and order another referendum.

Maybe.

Not going to happen.  What's going to happen is that they are likely going to punt it down the road a bit and delay.  Because the MP's who rejected the current May plan have no answers either.  But I don't see another referendum happening.  There are no do-overs.

Again, the sticking point is all about the Irish border.  Again, if I were the UK PM - I would tell Europe and Ireland to figure it out themselves.  Let them take the heat for it.  No one says the UK has to put up a wall.  If a wall goes up, the EU would be doing it and they would take the blame for it.  I would continue as normal and ignore the irish problem and let the EU deal with it and be the bad guys.

33 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Not going to happen.  What's going to happen is that they are likely going to punt it down the road a bit and delay.  Because the MP's who rejected the current May plan have no answers either.  But I don't see another referendum happening.  There are no do-overs.

Again, the sticking point is all about the Irish border.  Again, if I were the UK PM - I would tell Europe and Ireland to figure it out themselves.  Let them take the heat for it.  No one says the UK has to put up a wall.  If a wall goes up, the EU would be doing it and they would take the blame for it.  I would continue as normal and ignore the irish problem and let the EU deal with it and be the bad guys.

After two generations the economies are intertwined.   The island cannot do without the continent.    It must accept the rules of the larger economy.  It was only 15% of the total when Johnson decided he could bully the group.  When the second most powerful leaves the gang he needs to bring along a few followers or he is just a lone roof at the mercy of all.  

The UK drops from a loud voice in number 2 EU to a lone number five, having to grapple with the unpredictable US, China, EU and even Japan.   The pacific partnership becomes increasingly important as the other major island builds alliances.

38 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

It's amazing how fucking stubborn you are.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Why would Europe delay?

Britain can choose to stop. Or choose to go. That's it.

As to Ireland, I foresee a day in the not too distant future of a United Ireland. And a smaller UK. Much smaller. 

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Why would Europe delay?

Britain can choose to stop. Or choose to go. That's it.

As to Ireland, I foresee a day in the not too distant future of a United Ireland. And a smaller UK. Much smaller. 

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Agreed.   Or at least two Irelands united by the EU.   The Channel Islands may leave Less Britain as well.   

Ugh, Jeffreaux needs the EU to be the bad guy so it is. He needs brexit to go through because its belief. Ain't nothing going to change, just reasons will get backfilled.

This is primarily what a No Deal Brexit means. It is by no means the end of the world. However if EU member state start to negotiate independently with the UK, it may well spell the end of The EU.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45112872

IMHO this has always been the logical outcome. Reason being the UK is the fifth largest economy in the world. Few are gonna turn away from doing business with the UK. 

1 hour ago, Lark said:

Agreed.   Or at least two Irelands united by the EU.   The Channel Islands may leave Less Britain as well.   

But unless something has changed dramatically, which you can argue EU membership or lack there of constitutes that, Northern Ireland's citizens have long supported being part of the UK. 

5 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

This is primarily what a No Deal Brexit means. It is by no means the end of the world. However if EU member state start to negotiate independently with the UK, it may well spell the end of The EU.

That's impossible without the end of the EU, not before. Why are you repeating this lie?

How fucking delusional are you that you look at the deranged shambolic Brexit shitshow and think "ya, this same bunch of morons can put together a bunch of really good deals for the future".

nevermind, it's just your dumb myth, and because you stick your dick in a pom and read the daily heil, you are a brit

3 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

But unless something has changed dramatically, which you can argue EU membership or lack there of constitutes that, Northern Ireland's citizens have long supported being part of the UK. 

Have you seen the latest votes on that?  No one thought Brexit would happen either.

1 hour ago, Lark said:

If Northern Ireland departed the UK, Scotland might think about it as well.  They voted solidly to stay.  Could be the start of a true Whiskey Rebellion!

Merkel says the UK can have to the end of june. Prolong the pain!

17 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

That's impossible without the end of the EU, not before. Why are you repeating this lie?

How fucking delusional are you that you look at the deranged shambolic Brexit shitshow and think "ya, this same bunch of morons can put together a bunch of really good deals for the future".

nevermind, it's just your dumb myth, and because you stick your dick in a pom and read the daily heil, you are a brit

Thank you GPwannabe.

The link is from the Beebs not The Daily Mail. Try and keep up.

The reason the EU is so scared of the UK leaving is the domino effect. A number of EU states are taking a wait and see attitude...… but make no mistake, others are chomping at the bit to exit the EU. Ms. Merkel is willing to extend is because she fears a No Deal Brexit and the ramifications it will likely bring. 

2 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Thank you GPwannabe.

The reason the EU is so scared of the UK leaving is the domino effect. A number of EU states are taking a wait and see attitude...… but make no mistake, others are chomping at the bit to exit the EU. Ms. Merkel is willing to extend is because she fears a No Deal Brexit and the ramifications it will likely bring. 

Whatever you say #6!

1 hour ago, BillDBastard said:

Thank you GPwannabe.

That sounds exactly backwards.

• Like 2

May is astonishingly incompetent. She has no idea how to proceed or build consensus. She has the charisma of a lobster and speaks with the pathos of a tree stump.

So now her shit plan is going to a 3rd vote, yet somehow the referendum doesn't deserve another vote? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

May is astonishingly incompetent. She has no idea how to proceed or build consensus. She has the charisma of a lobster and speaks with the pathos of a tree stump.

So now her shit plan is going to a 3rd vote, yet somehow the referendum doesn't deserve another vote?

You forgot that she has the posture of a raccoon.

She's a third rate Thatcher - who was a third rate Churchill.

That makes her 9th rate?

I fail to see why the rest of the EU would piss on her if she was on fire. Why would they do ANYTHING to make it easier?

Well...Like Thatcher..Brexit's good for something..Humour 

It's a goldmine.. :D

11 hours ago, Left Shift said:

If Northern Ireland departed the UK, Scotland might think about it as well.  They voted solidly to stay.  Could be the start of a true Whiskey Rebellion!

I'm not sure a 55/45 split would be considered a solid vote for Scottish independence and that was also pre-Brexit. 62% of Scotland voted to stay in the EU in the Brexit vote so they are being forced into something they voted against. If there were another referendum now I suspect there would, indeed, be a solid vote for Scotland's independence, at which point they would certainly put a referendum forward for rejoining the EU or certainly to follow the Norway model.
This could all have been resolved by having a non-binding referendum and the government looking at resolving the key issues raised by those who favoured Brexit, namely immigration and certain laws which ruled strongly in the Eu's favour, fishing grounds being one of them. There should at least have to have been a majority threshold in the referendum results, a 52/48 split is not a clear enough majority to merit what has turned out to be such a massive and unsettling consequence.

19 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Ugh, Jeffreaux needs the EU to be the bad guy so it is. He needs brexit to go through because its belief. Ain't nothing going to change, just reasons will get backfilled.

You must be referring to someone else.  I don't believe in Brexit.  I think it was a silly idea in the first place to do it with no real plan in place.  I do, however, think the UK had legitimate grievances against the EU and some of the foundations of a Brexit were sound.  Just the execution was a clown show.  I think instead, the UK should have flexed its muscle against the EU and changed some of its terms while staying and working from within.  But the bottom line is the will of the people made it clear they wanted to leave.  So once that decision had been made, my entire point has been to get on with it and make it happen in the best way possible.  Unlike you and your elk, I'm not into the wringing of hands or gnashing of teeth for what could have been.  

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda....... didn't"

19 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Merkel says the UK can have to the end of june. Prolong the pain!

Told ya.

19 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

You must be referring to someone else.  I don't believe in Brexit.  I think it was a silly idea in the first place to do it with no real plan in place.  I do, however, think the UK had legitimate grievances against the EU and some of the foundations of a Brexit were sound.  Just the execution was a clown show.  I think instead, the UK should have flexed its muscle against the EU and changed some of its terms while staying and working from within.  But the bottom line is the will of the people made it clear they wanted to leave.  So once that decision had been made, my entire point has been to get on with it and make it happen in the best way possible.  Unlike you and your elk, I'm not into the wringing of hands or gnashing of teeth for what could have been.  

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda....... didn't"

If only that were so. My take was it was a lot of protest voters that had no idea that LEAVE might actually win and never would have voted that way in earnest :rolleyes: and that isn't even getting into all the Russian directed shenanigans.

* kind of like when I vote for a Green or Libertarian president for fun because I know Maryland is not in play and not even close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

But the bottom line is the will of the people made it clear they wanted to leave.  So once that decision had been made, my entire point has been to get on with it and make it happen in the best way possible. 

What did kind of leave did the will of the people want? That's the problem, dumbass, and no amount of your bullshitting can change there being no agreement on what kind of Brexit voters want. Typing a bunch of bullshit over and over and over and over doesn't change that. It's just bullshitting because you can't face the hard fucking fact that "what Brexit means' isn't decided and there are real problems with the definition and it's nobody but the UKs fault and so you can't just "go and do it.

you dumb stubborn old farts and your tantrum politics.

47 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

That does kind of sum it up.

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

... But the bottom line is the will of the people made it clear they wanted to leave. ...

Damn, the Brits get a will of the people and we're stuck with an Electoral College.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

What did kind of leave did the will of the people want? That's the problem, dumbass, and no amount of your bullshitting can change there being no agreement on what kind of Brexit voters want. Typing a bunch of bullshit over and over and over and over doesn't change that. It's just bullshitting because you can't face the hard fucking fact that "what Brexit means' isn't decided and there are real problems with the definition and it's nobody but the UKs fault and so you can't just "go and do it.

Hey GP, I already addressed all of your bitches.  RIF.  

Also, I suggest maybe upping your dose on the zoloft.  Just saying....

16 hours ago, Olsonist said:

That does kind of sum it up.

Sum up what, exactly?  How is anything I'm saying construed as a tantrum.  Its more of a sanguine shrug.  It is what it is.  The UK made their own mess, now they need to deal with it like Adults.  

16 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Damn, the Brits get a will of the people and we're stuck with an Electoral College.

My point exactly!  See what the will of the people will get you when you let them vote directly for stupid shit?  There are some really stupid ballot initiatives all over the US that have saddled some states with massive burdens because they haven't been thought through very well.

What if we had a national referendum to bring back slavery and it passed?  Then what?  It would be the "will of the people", right?

17 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If only that were so. My take was it was a lot of protest voters that had no idea that LEAVE might actually win and never would have voted that way in earnest :rolleyes: and that isn't even getting into all the Russian directed shenanigans.

* kind of like when I vote for a Green or Libertarian president for fun because I know Maryland is not in play and not even close.

Yeah, except that their vote was not constrained to a small district where a winner take all majority was in play.  So apples and kumquats.  IF they were too stupid to understand the import of their decision, then too bad.  And that also applies to all those young Londoners who didn't come out to vote because they thought it would never pass either.  

Elections have consequences.  

What makes anyone think this was a decision made lightly by7 some voters? This issue played out for a very long time and was pretty much fully vetted in the media prior to the vote.

25 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

What makes anyone think this was a decision made lightly by7 some voters? This issue played out for a very long time and was pretty much fully vetted in the media prior to the vote.

Because of interviews after the vote that basically went like this:

"Holy Shit I would never have voted LEAVE if I thought it had a chance"

Also combine with endless articles and interviews that make it utterly clear a large portion of the population and the government did not have the slightest clue what leaving the EU would entail and many still do not today. "Ireland? What's that?" :rolleyes:

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

That sounds exactly backwards.

No, not exactly backwards at all. Merkle sees this a referendum and continuation on the viability of the EU. The whole plan on the part of the EU was to make this painful to the UK, to punish them for daring to think they could possibly leave the union. There are a number of EU members who have voiced a desire to follow suit if the UK is successful at this divorce, the largest of which being France.

Now Merkle has come out saying they could delay Brexit to pursue further negotiations. Couple of point here. First off Ms. Merkle does not speak for the EU and it would take a unanimous vote of the member states to extend the deadline.  Second thing is this, to what end an extension? If the EU extends, whose advantage is that to? It is really, at a minimum, a twofold question. An extension demonstrates the EU's willingness to further negotiate..... but if the UK Parliament cannot agree to the terms currently offered, why would the EU make or agree to more attractive terms to the UK's leaving? They do not wish them to leave in the first place. 

Last point, a No Deal Brexit then defaults to WTO rules for trade agreements. Many in the UK argue that that is not such a bad thing. That it allows the UK to negotiate separately for better treaties than the framework of WTO guides on a case by case basis. Now think about this KISS, what does that mean exactly? The EU nation states could then come to individual treaties with the UK, no? This does not bode well for the EU.

In 14 days, like it or not, UK Parliamentary votes or not, Brexit will happen..... unless a unified EU votes unanimously to except a delay and UK Parliament authorizes such an extension specifically. My guess is that just ain't gonna happen.

Now as for other poster's P.O.V. that May is completely incompetent. Not so sure about that one way or the other. First off Ms. May is charged with negotiating Brexit. However she does not support Brexit Which is a curious position to be in. So what is she up to? Did she willfully agree to terms with the EU that she knew would not be accepted by Parliament? Does she think that in the long run the UK will come around to her position that the UK should remain? Seems to me politically she can claim that she negotiated a fair deal and that Brexiteers balked. Now if the UK gets an extension from the EU and that leads to an exit agreement, May will declare victory. If a hard Brexit happens, May will say she negotiated in the best interests of the UK but she understands why Parliament rejected the best deal she could get from the EU..... and then declares victory. Third scenario is May gets the EU to extend pending another national referendum on Brexit and Parliament agrees...… outcome 1, new referendum results in an immediate Hard Brexit or new referendum overturns Brexit resulting in a Remain outcome...…. May declares victory in either case and goes down in history as the person who lead the United Kingdom through such troubled times. I do not think May will be poorly treated in all of this. She will be seen as an "honest broker" who was tasked with the impossible and steered the UK to whatever the future holds.

2 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Because of interviews after the vote that basically went like this:

"Holy Shit I would never have voted LEAVE if I thought it had a chance"

Also combine with endless articles and interviews that make it utterly clear a large portion of the population and the government did not have the slightest clue what leaving the EU would entail and many still do not today. "Ireland? What's that?" :rolleyes:

First off, it is Northern Ireland, not Ireland.

Secondly what you are seeing is some people hedging, particularly politicians. I think they all know damn well what a leave vote meant and means. Listen, John Majors left this door open by insisting that the UK remained or kept its own currency. That the BPS would endure. This always allowed for the UK to be leaning towards the door.

:lol: even for you, this is delusional.

No It wasn't, the little that was covered was a pack of lies about payments to the EU and immigration.  The full effects were never even considered......quiet possibly because nobody bothered to dig deep enough to understand.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Why do you hate your fellow countrymen so?

Do you routinely type random stuff not related to anything or is this a new problem?

14 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Do you routinely type random stuff not related to anything or is this a new problem?

Not even sure if it was addressed to anyone..............???:wacko:

Its much along the lines of "when did you stop beating your partner?"

11 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Hey GP, I already addressed all of your bitches.  RIF.  

Also, I suggest maybe upping your dose on the zoloft.  Just saying....

You didn't actually address any of them. Anyways

1) The will of the people doesn't really matter to the UK. It's subservient to parliament.

2) they are actually knuckling down like adults. And, like adults, they find things are difficult and there is great disagreement about what to do! Again, if you read, you'd see the problem is "what kind of Brexit do we want" and it turns out that is far, far, far, far more complicated than you want to pretend.

3) by repeating the same wish fulfillment pablum you prove my point.

4) for amusement

5 hours ago, mad said:

No It wasn't, the little that was covered was a pack of lies about payments to the EU and immigration.  The full effects were never even considered......quiet possibly because nobody bothered to dig deep enough to understand.

I don't believe that.  I spend at least a month in the UK every year.  The issues with the EU were well known and discussed widely.  Yes, each point had a constituency and labour unions didn't care too much for the 'Polish Plumbers' who came for work.  The Fishing fleet didn't much care for control over their waters or quotas.  There was a lot of small pain from the EU that was just grating and led people to want out.

That's why Brexit carried in the referendum.  The inability of the losers to accept that and get on with planning the way out has led to the current fiasco.

27 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

The inability of the losers to accept that and get on with planning the way out has led to the current fiasco.

:lol:

I love the dude who lives in florida lecturing the brit on Brexit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I don't believe that.  ...    ...    ...

You don't believe a lot of stuff that is easily provable. Your belief or lack thereof doesn't affect so much as one atom of the universe.

22 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

...   ...   ... There was a lot of small pain from the EU that was just grating and led people to want out.

That's why Brexit carried in the referendum.  The inability of the losers to accept that and get on with planning the way out has led to the current fiasco.

Hey stupid, it's not the losers of the referendum that are in charge. You could make a point that the main instigators fled from the scene but that only shows what a crock of shit it was from the get-go.

As for pain from the EU most readily accepted they're getting a boost in their market hence their weekly packet. Except the haters of course.

DSK

5 hours ago, mad said:

Not even sure if it was addressed to anyone..............???:wacko:

Its much along the lines of "when did you stop beating your partner?"

Oh our English friend, it was squarely addressed to you.

I understand you think Brexit is insane and that the UK should remain..... but more than half those who chose to vote in the referendum chose otherwise. And I get that you think they are crazy for doing so, is your right. My little note was about the disdain you project by insisting that they did not give it their full thought. That their only consideration(s) had to do with immigration fees/payments to the EU..... which in of itself would be enough for some indeed...…. but doubtfully all.

Good stuff though. Watching this all from distant shores. Much in the same way you and those down under ogle at US politics I trust.

47 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

…… The inability of the losers to accept that and get on with planning the way out has led to the current fiasco.

I do not think that is true at all. I think many, if not most have been planning on a hard Brexit for quite some time. The UK is ready to go and no negotiating with their jilted ex's on the continent is gonna change that.

44 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

I think many, if not most have been planning on a hard Brexit for quite some time. The UK is ready to go and no negotiating with their jilted ex's on the continent is gonna change that.

which  is why Mogg moved his hedgefund out of the UK.

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I don't believe that.  I spend at least a month in the UK every year.  The issues with the EU were well known and discussed widely.  Yes, each point had a constituency and labour unions didn't care too much for the 'Polish Plumbers' who came for work.  The Fishing fleet didn't much care for control over their waters or quotas.  There was a lot of small pain from the EU that was just grating and led people to want out.

My kid lives there year round.

She says you're talking like the simpletons who voted to leave. People voted to leave over trivialities like the price of their favourite beer.

It was much the same mentalities, ignorance and much the same segment of society that got Trump elected.

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My kid lives there year round.

She says you're talking like the simpletons who voted to leave. People voted to leave over trivialities like the price of their favourite beer.

It was much the same mentalities, ignorance and much the same segment of society that got Trump elected.

I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. 

OK, I don't live there year round now but did spend 10 years there in two five year chunks.  Five before the EU and Five after.  Quite a lot of Britain never wanted to enter.  Your kiddie probably started living there after entry, knows nothing else,  and is shit scared of change.  Seems odd for a progressive but, there you are.

18 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

My point exactly!

Ask your doctor about Zyprexa today!

14 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

No. It wasn't. The media didn't vet Brexit. Reporting on a sensational issue is not the same as properly vetting it's pros and cons.

Oh, and the reason that we "think" the decision was made lightly by some voters is the fact they've stated they didn't take it seriously at the time. Hell, some have even gone so far as to ask for a revote because they didn't do so. If you don't know that - you haven't been paying attention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saorsa said:

OK, I don't live there year round now but did spend 10 years there in two five year chunks.  Five before the EU and Five after.  Quite a lot of Britain never wanted to enter.  Your kiddie probably started living there after entry, knows nothing else,  and is shit scared of change.  Seems odd for a progressive but, there you are.

Based on the demographics of the leave vote it showed the older generation wanting to go back to the 'good old days' as opposed to the younger generation who embrace diversity, internationalism and progressiveness. 

The older generation is akin to the coal miners of the US who fell for the rhetoric of Trump and have also proved to have been lied to and used.

• Like 1

The tRump demographic and the Brexit demographic are very similar, except while both USand Brit groups of anti immigrant working stiffs were lied to, the Brit 1%ers aren’t going to get their tax cut.

16 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

which  is why Mogg moved his hedgefund out of the UK.

So you are saying this is an example of those who have prepared, right?

33 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

So you are saying this is an example of those who have prepared, right?

I'm saying you've got a narrative and will cherry pick facts to make you sound right, it's what you do. 

12 hours ago, Saorsa said:

It seems you didn't learn shit during all that time. And you are still living on assumptions and projections of what other people think and know.

Why am I not surprised?

Quite a lot of the USA still supports Trump too - the same segment of society that supports Brexit - the resentful losers and ignoramuses.

Many places are living in an Idiocracy right now - and you are one of the leaders of the cheering section.

Oh, and by the way - I lived there the first time during MacMillan and the Common Market battles with de Gaulle so I know a little bit about the mentality there.

9 hours ago, Left Shift said:

the Brit 1%ers aren’t going to get their tax cut.

They don't need it - they've had all the money and all the land for centuries.

They're WAY ahead of the USA on wealth concentration.

Brexit is as smart as if one of the 50 states in the USA decided that they wanted to have 320.5 volt 97 Hz four-phase AC power, voted it in, and only just then discovered their power grind would have to be disconnected from the other 48 states, none of their existing electrical equipment would work, and the other states were not going to help them :rolleyes:

* also note the leader of the 320.5 volt movement moved to another state :lol:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

They don't need it - they've had all the money and all the land for centuries.

They're WAY ahead of the USA on wealth concentration.

Ours didn’t “need” it either.  But “want” is a whole different thing.  

As is their willingness to reward the craven pols who shoved the cash their way.

If one doesn't understand the Brexit situation they have only to look at one of it's leaders - Rees-Mogg - and they will know which side to be on.

image.png.ba420e6cba8897bc235935bc8e856703.pngimage.png.5bab2e76d913bfce985bc47fb6a61f91.png

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

I'm saying you've got a narrative and will cherry pick facts to make you sound right, it's what you do. 

Oh I see, so you cherry picking facts and me asking if you then agree that Brits have been preparing for a hard Brexit equals me cherry picking. Your mind works in a very interesting way. Anger seems to outweigh logic in so many of your positions.

You know it doesn't surprise me in the least that Rees Mogg has re-aligned his investment strategies with Brexit looming. No doubt many have, at least in the upper class. British middle class, and some working class tend to be heavily invested in their homes and not a great deal of savings or investments in financial instruments. Has to do with their social safety net and tax structure. 

Anyhow, not really what I was talking about. with my comment that the UK has been preparing for a No Deal Brexit for quite a long while and institutionally is about as prepared as they can be face with shift in trading dynamics.

44 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Brexit is as smart as if one of the 50 states in the USA decided that they wanted to have 320.5 volt 97 Hz four-phase AC power, voted it in, and only just then discovered their power grind would have to be disconnected from the other 48 states, none of their existing electrical equipment would work, and the other states were not going to help them :rolleyes:

* also note the leader of the 320.5 volt movement moved to another state :lol:

Shockingly bad analogy, shockingly bad.

13 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Anyhow, not really what I was talking about. with my comment that the UK has been preparing for a No Deal Brexit for quite a long while and institutionally is about as prepared as they can be face with shift in trading dynamics.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It seems you didn't learn shit during all that time. And you are still living on assumptions and projections of what other people think and know.

Why am I not surprised?

Quite a lot of the USA still supports Trump too - the same segment of society that supports Brexit - the resentful losers and ignoramuses.

Many places are living in an Idiocracy right now - and you are one of the leaders of the cheering section.

Oh, and by the way - I lived there the first time during MacMillan and the Common Market battles with de Gaulle so I know a little bit about the mentality there.

I arrived there the first time just after MacMillan.  I am basing my statements on my knowledge and the people I lived with in the country during those 10 years.

If anyone is making projections and assumptions, it's you.

Oh I see, so you cherry picking facts and me asking if you then agree that Brits have been preparing for a hard Brexit equals me cherry picking. Your mind works in a very interesting way. Anger seems to outweigh logic in so many of your positions.

You know it doesn't surprise me in the least that Rees Mogg has re-aligned his investment strategies with Brexit looming. No doubt many have, at least in the upper class. British middle class, and some working class tend to be heavily invested in their homes and not a great deal of savings or investments in financial instruments. Has to do with their social safety net and tax structure. 

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/607757-ec-notice-brexit-issued-licenses-certificates-invalid.html

ROFLMAO x 10,000! :lol::lol:

They don't have the slightest CLUE what they are getting into.

10 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/607757-ec-notice-brexit-issued-licenses-certificates-invalid.html

Just. . . wow. . . .    They really had no fucking clue at all.     What about Nurse and Doctor's credentials?   

23 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Does the EU have reciprocity agreements with other countries?

Why haven't the responsible bureaucrats (on both sides)  be dealing with this on a contingency basis all along?

Baby Doll, just because we're getting divorced doesn't mean we can't sleep together. In fact, I think it's right irresponsible of you not to help me deal with this contingency.

39 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Why haven't the responsible bureaucrats (on both sides)  be dealing with this on a contingency basis all along?

The brexit agreements that parliament keeps voting against would have solved this problem. "no deal" is "no deal" dumbass. you need a deal to come to agreements.

it's pretty simple

In a no-deal scenario, EU operators will become foreign carriers under UK legislation, while UK airlines will become third-country operators in the EASA system.

it's been taken care of. this is what you support, so shut up and start acting like an adult.

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Does the EU have reciprocity agreements with other countries?

There are no responsible parties that are pro-brexit. 

23 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

There are no responsible parties that are pro-brexit. 

It doesn't matter if they are pro-brexit.  Their job is dealing with contingencies and failing to plan for them is gross negligence.

22 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

It doesn't matter if they are pro-brexit.  Their job is dealing with contingencies and failing to plan for them is gross negligence.

Does your bullshit fool you? This is the plan. It's not a contingency, this is the no-deal plan. It sucks, that's why some people wanted a Brexit-deal, or no-Brexit. 

34 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Well no shit. This has been a perfect storm of idiots not having one clue what they are doing or trying to do.

Short version:

1. There is no agreement and none likely for a deal.

2. No-deal Brexit has HUGE implications on basically everything and apparently there is no plan whatsoever do deal with it.

So yes, gross negligence is the least of it.

Some fun with airplanes:

UK registered airplanes will need UK licensed pilots and EU registered airplanes will need EU licensed pilots. Since this has not been true for ages, there is a big mish-mash of pilots and airplanes to be sorted out.

UK airlines will be "foreign" to the EU and may well be prohibited from cabbage, i.e. they can fly from the UK to *one* place in the EU and back again, but cannot stop in 2 places in the EU.

To say this will be a Mongolian Cluster is the least of it, this is just one of 10,000 similar issues.

12 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Well no shit. This has been a perfect storm of idiots not having one clue what they are doing or trying to do.

Short version:

1. There is no agreement and none likely for a deal.

2. No-deal Brexit has HUGE implications on basically everything and apparently there is no plan whatsoever do deal with it.

So yes, gross negligence is the least of it.

Some fun with airplanes:

UK registered airplanes will need UK licensed pilots and EU registered airplanes will need EU licensed pilots. Since this has not been true for ages, there is a big mish-mash of pilots and airplanes to be sorted out.

UK airlines will be "foreign" to the EU and may well be prohibited from cabbage, i.e. they can fly from the UK to *one* place in the EU and back again, but cannot stop in 2 places in the EU.

To say this will be a Mongolian Cluster is the least of it, this is just one of 10,000 similar issues.

I agree and they have a couple of million bureaucrats at least 10K of which should have been planning multiple contingencies.

19 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I agree and they have a couple of million bureaucrats at least 10K of which should have been planning multiple contingencies.

Britain doesn't have that many beauracrats. It outsourced lots of this to the EU; they don't have the workers to do it anymore. Anyways, this is episode 1,009 in "facts are irrelevant to soreass"

kis - it's cabotage, not cabbage, I assume just a spelling error :)

14 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Britain doesn't have that many beauracrats. It outsourced lots of this to the EU; they don't have the workers to do it anymore. Anyways, this is episode 1,009 in "facts are irrelevant to soreass"

Category Central government Local government Health service Total
Police   278,000   278,000
Defence 193,000     193,000
Health & Social   364,000 1,565,000 1,929,000
Other 1,989,000 42,000   2,031,000
Total 2,182,000 2,290,000 1,565,000 6,037,000

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Autocorrect error D'oh

22 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

That’s fucking hilarious!!