Sign in to follow this  
Kent H

Scotty Kilmer - USED CAR GURU

Link to one of Scotty Kilmer's Youtube videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9d7oTK8zo

Most of SA's posters know the deal when it comes to buying or more likely LEASING a new car.  Buying get a Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, F150 and some Honda's (List getting shorter).  Leasing make sure you have full factory NOT aftermarket warranty for every mile you will drive the beast. 

But when it comes to a used ride for kid, relative or employee's many are lost.   I thought EVERYONE knew about Scotty and his former CBS Show and now his great Youtube short shows.  I was very wrong.   Scotty is a 70+ year old entertaining mechanic with 50 years of experience and even a BS in Business.   His aim is the used car market but from time to time throws in eye opening stuff.  New Toyota Supra is pretty much a BMW!  

So if you want some  edutainment about cars check out his videos..... Scotty is pretty much an Anarchist for cars!

Enjoy

The Website:

ScottyKilmer.com

From the website there is the Live Podcasts and some additional info:

86 saab 900 SPG.    oooooooh, baby!

• Like 1

He's good.  But this guy is better

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

He's good.  But this guy is better

I dunno how accurate he is though.

a buddy of mine had a gremlin from new with the V* (308?) and a 4 speed...they are super ugly but it did have some go.

my cousin had an eagle from new about 1981, not as ugly and really ahead of it's time.  pretty sure it beat the subaru outback and volvo v70 to the punch

1987 AMC Eagle wagon burgundy-woodgrain NJ.jpg

By a couple of decades. That thing came out at the same time as the Quattro.

I think the v8 was a 304

Same motor you could get in the CJ/7.

Room mate bought a Gremlin.

What a piece of shit.

That video gets into the ill handling, gutless, bizarre breaking.

What is missed  (and what killed American Motors) was they were so deep in the hole, they would source from whomever they could get the best deal and not what would improve the car.

If you were lucky, the entire motor could be sourced, but usually it was  one of their motors and maybe GM carb and the ford ignition.

There would be changes during a model run as they would change sources.  The engineers could not keep up with trying to keep all the combos working together when then next combo would come down the road in a 3 months.  And if you owned one, Lord save you when you went to the parts store to get simple stuff like rotor caps, or fuel filters.

And this was the time the EPA had crazy CAFE numbers and NO manufacturer was doing it well.  Air pumps, lean carb settings, vacumn dohickies made everything run like crap until the early 80s when port fuel injection fixed it.  (the dark years of automobiles)

American Motors built some losers like the Gremlin, Pacer, Matador (think 1963 large station wagon) and the hornet (but you could order as a  factory hot rod called the SSJ which was built for them by Hurst just like the Olds 442s )

But they had the Javlin, AMX, and most importantly the Jeep brand, the later being the reason Chrysler bought them when they finally folded.

Perfect example of the market picking the winners and losers instead of the government.

The Eagle was running the Grand Cherokee drive line.  That was way ahead of its time.

The Eagles are gettign to be worth some money as are the original Grand Cherokees with the buick 350 v8s.

meant 403 cI  v8

2 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

But they had the Javlin, AMX

Don't forget The Machine and the S/C Rambler. Two of the gaudiest muscle cars.Those things surprised a lot of SS 396 owners.

image.png.9a268de37ae4ebbba150bf84f7d9964c.png

A brief shining moment in the life of that sorry company.

True Sloop, and were they crude.

They were built like you were working on a tractor.

You kids who think nothing of a plastic injection molded intake manifold on a Vortex v8 or or a waterpump attached to the alternator shaft on a Volvo 3.2 six, or the simplistic looking yet complex Honda six accessory mounts have no clue how advanced such things are.   These cars made Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engines look like something off the space shuttle.

But you could figure out what was wrong in 10 minutes without the need for a diagnostic computer.

Couple weeks ago, a guy bought a Catalina 27 in our marina.

The Atomic four (design is 70 years old this year) had been sitting for 3 years, and before that the PO had not been able to get it to run.

In helping the new owner, I had to dig out tools I had not used in 40 years.  Points files, dwell meter etc.

Also had to think how I used to tune such motors.'

Cleaned and put it all together, and it purred like kitten the 1st time the owner hit the starter (damn I am good...).

fuel injection and electronic ignition of the late 70s and early 80s changed everything..

• Like 1

Indeed - made cars a lot better but also signed the death knell for shade tree mechanics.