Paul Koch

Rapido Trimarans - 2 x New Folding Models Coming !

45 minutes ago, Pantouf said:

... Maybe things are not going as planned?

What does?  

The actual build is being done by Triac composites in Vietnam among their many other products.   Boats are not their main source of income so caveat emptor is truly what is needed for these boats.  https://www.triaccomposites.com/latestnews/categories/passengervehicles

13 hours ago, Pantouf said:

As far as I read, they have not even completed any 50 yet. So I would imagine it will be a while before a 40 comes out. I do find it strange that there is so little media exposure about it. Even Paul Koch seems to have abandoned this forum, his last post being from 25th October 2019. If I were building boats, I would promote every part of the build on Youtube and here and everywhere. Maybe things are not going as planned?

Yes it is true , we are so busy working that I rarely get time to participate here ! The Rapido 50 Tooling is mostly done and we are into building the first boat that will be going to Europe in the summer this year . The first Rapido 40 should be done in the 4th quarter of 2020 . It takes time to do this stuff right !  They will be great boats when done and I cant wait to sail them !

• Like 4

Hey, it is great to see Paul reacted! I assume the folding aspect will be particularly suited for the European markets. Please keep us posted on progress Paul!

I would assume that CNC machines make the process less expensive?  Certainly a whole lot faster!

3 hours ago, Veeger said:

I would assume that CNC machines make the process less expensive?  Certainly a whole lot faster!

Maybe not less expensive because of the capital investment but definetly more accurate and faster on complicated tooling that you need to mass produce folding trimarans !

• Like 1

CNC were used on space shuttle exhaust cones (also made of Carbon fiber).  Tolerances were measured in molecules (kidding, but they were really tight).  That ground carbon fiber dust, though, was seriously toxic and pervasive.  

• Like 1

And the 40?

First Rapido 50  float hull , beautiful infusion job , thermo formed plain foam to save weight .

DSC_0171.JPG

• Like 7

Thermo formed-- awesome!  Plain foam? not core-cell?  certainly a closed cell foam, yes? (please elaborate)

13 hours ago, Veeger said:

Thermo formed-- awesome!  Plain foam? not core-cell?  certainly a closed cell foam, yes? (please elaborate)

In this case Thermo Formed 80 Kg and 100 Kg PVC foam from Gurit . Plain Foam means no grid scoring or slitting to soak up excess resin . It is perforated to assist infusion , lightest way to build a infused boat but labor intensive and requires a high level of skill from the guys fitting the foam as it needs to be a perfect fit . 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paul Koch said:

In this case Thermo Formed 80 Kg and 100 Kg PVC foam from Gurit . Plain Foam means no grid scoring or slitting to soak up excess resin . It is perforated to assist infusion , lightest way to build a infused boat but labor intensive and requires a high level of skill from the guys fitting the foam as it needs to be a perfect fit . 

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  That's the way my Mainecat was built as well (but I didn't pay attention to the weights and brand details)

That looks awesome Paul, thanks for sharing these new photos. Keep them coming! 

Will there be any metal on this boat? I.e. the rudder stock? Stanchions?  Or is it all carbon? 

And did I read somewhere the No. 1 Rapido 50 is going to Europe? Can you share where in Europe? (hope it is close so I can see it!)

2 hours ago, Pantouf said:

That looks awesome Paul, thanks for sharing these new photos. Keep them coming! 

Will there be any metal on this boat? I.e. the rudder stock? Stanchions?  Or is it all carbon? 

And did I read somewhere the No. 1 Rapido 50 is going to Europe? Can you share where in Europe? (hope it is close so I can see it!)

See the picture below , Rudder stock and Rudder is all carbon except for some foam each side to fill the gap between the skins. We are avoiding stainless steel as much as possible apart from a few pad eyes . Stanchions , pulpit , seats etc all carbon . All going well we hope to be at Cannes Yachting Festival in September and the first boat will live in Palma , Mallorca . 

DSC_0142 small.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 10:27 PM, boardhead said:

And the 40?

It is coming and as we have sold 5 of them we had better get the whip out and hurry up ! It will be done this year ..

• Like 1

Here are a few more pics of the Rapido 50 plugs , deck mold will be finished next week ! Coachroof in a couple of weeks .

DSC_0189 small.jpg

DSC_0190 small.jpg

• Like 4

Its interesting for non industry folks like me to see how boats are manufactured.  Thanks for posting.  Would love one of your vessels but its not in the budget.

12 hours ago, Paul Koch said:

It is coming and as we have sold 5 of them we had better get the whip out and hurry up ! It will be done this year ..

A Fleet! Sounds Good.

Hey Paul, looking at the rudder (which looks like bomb proof!) photo, I assume there will be some foil at the bottom? To help the boat´s pitching stability?

Also, the folding mechanism, is that all carbon? or are the like metal bearings or rollers in it?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Pantouf said:

Hey Paul, looking at the rudder (which looks like bomb proof!) photo, I assume there will be some foil at the bottom? To help the boat´s pitching stability?

Also, the folding mechanism, is that all carbon? or are the like metal bearings or rollers in it?

Thanks!

Yes the Rudder pretty well is solid Carbon made from prepreg cured in our Autoclave .

There is a wing on the bottom about a meter long . Folding struts are also prepreg carbon with huge titanium pins in carbon tubes lined with a bearing material . Light weight but massively strong ! The design and engineering that has gone into these boats is mind boggling. 

• Like 2

A few more pics of the main hull before and after infusion , second half getting infused tomorrow . Plus a bit of progress on other bits like the daggerboard case and coachroof plug .

Daggerboard case is prepreg cured in the autoclave . The different colored foams are different densities for different areas of the hull . The pounding loads are significant when the boat can go to windward at 17 knots plus !

P1030069.jpg

DSC_2516.JPG

DSC_2518.JPG

P1030070.jpg

P1030072.jpg

P1030074.jpg

P1030075.jpg

P1030078.jpg

• Like 3

That's pretty cool stuff, Paul. I love the unvarnished shop photos showing what it really takes. Keep it coming please.

In the third picture it looks like the I beam/bulkhead structure ends about 1/3 of the way back on the float. Are there any bulkheads or reinforcement on the back 2/3?

There are another 3 massive bulkheads and 2 girders running the full length of the floats !  WIP , just checking the fit , will be weeks yet before they are finally glued together after the folding system is fitted and working !

Oh yeah, the folding system. That will be interesting to see

Great photos Paul! These bulkheads look massive and massively strong! Question: looking at the float photos, it seems you cannot get into the forward 1/3 section? And I assume the rear 1/3 section will get a similar setup? Will these compartments be sealed? And if some water would enter into these sealed areas, how would you get the water out? And I suppose, how do these compartments "breath" with high and low temperatures or wave impacts?

8 hours ago, Pantouf said:

Great photos Paul! These bulkheads look massive and massively strong! Question: looking at the float photos, it seems you cannot get into the forward 1/3 section? And I assume the rear 1/3 section will get a similar setup? Will these compartments be sealed? And if some water would enter into these sealed areas, how would you get the water out? And I suppose, how do these compartments "breath" with high and low temperatures or wave impacts?

On Corsairs there is a deck inspection hatch for removing water, and small breather holes for air equalization.

13 hours ago, Mizzmo said:

On Corsairs there is a deck inspection hatch for removing water, and small breather holes for air equalization.

On Corsairs and other Trimarans these inspection hatches always leak ! We have purposely eliminated them . We have pipes going to the lowest point of each compartment and lead back to the centre section storage area where we can connect a pump to pump any area out . These pipes act as vents at the same time . 

• Like 3

Nice to see this becoming reality.  So often we talk about what we are going to do or want to do, and then it never happens.  Not this time!

There's info about the Hammerhead 50 at the bottom of this page at boat design forums: https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/multihull-structure-thoughts.62361/page-64

I've long been a fan of the Hammerhead series and it's similar to the Rapido. Interesting to read about the performance of the Hammerhead.

Here are some more progress photos ! We are , touch wood still going strong in Vietnam , no corona cases for 6 days straight ! Hopefully things stay that way !

DSC_0046 small.jpg

DSC_0047small.jpg

DSC_0048small.jpg

DSC_0050small.jpg

• Like 4

How much does that ama weigh, what does it displace fully immersed and how far back from the bow is the CB?

Thanks so much (again) for posting construction photos. I know this was a carefully considered design and it's a gift for all of us to see how it's done. Please keep it coming!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, boardhead said:

How much does that ama weigh, what does it displace fully immersed and how far back from the bow is the CB?

The Ama weighs about 650 kg and and 200% buoyancy so about 15,000 KG I guess , you would have to ask the designer where exactly the CB is but at a guess about where the front beam is .

Thanks Paul. Looking at the picture of the guys strapping the ama bow together really accentuates the low height of the stem for wave piercing which made me curious as to where the buoyancy ramps up.

Thansk for the photos! I'm curious, as I haven't done anything quite at this scale (20' is my largest composite part to date), why join out of the molds? Better alignment?

8 hours ago, samc99us said:

Thansk for the photos! I'm curious, as I haven't done anything quite at this scale (20' is my largest composite part to date), why join out of the molds? Better alignment?

Actually the parts are very dimension-ally accurate stiff and stable so there are no issues getting a good join out of the mold . But the main reason is we have to fit the folding system and beams in to the inner half before join up . We are also still making some molds for some parts so it is actually just dry fitted together at the moment . The rest of the boat is being built as we finish off some this tooling . It will all look like something very interesting in a couple more weeks .

That is absolutely fantastic Paul. Making good progress. The black of the underwater ship is just carbon right? And not gelcoated? As it wil get coating and antifouling anyway?

9 hours ago, Pantouf said:

That is absolutely fantastic Paul. Making good progress. The black of the underwater ship is just carbon right? And not gelcoated? As it wil get coating and antifouling anyway?

This Rapido 50 is all carbon ! On our boats the underwater area is never gelcoated . Has an epoxy barrier coat followed by the antifouling . 

Nice.  Can't wait for the 40.

Are both of the molded in circular and faired items escape hatches? Why two?

2 minutes ago, Shu said:

Nice.  Can't wait for the 40.

Are both of the molded in circular and faired items escape hatches? Why two?

The front one is the escape hatch from the forward cabin . In both the 50 and 60 we have a survival area under the cockpit floor that is accessed when upside down by the second aft escape hatch .

This area is above the waterline when the boat is inverted . Maybe overkill , but we have designed the Rapido Trimarans to be the safest offshore cruising boats available . We hope there is never a need for this survival area but it helps me sleep at night when we know we have done everything possible to create a safe fast boat !

This is also why we fit as standard a automatic fire control system in the engine room and we have no penetrations through any of the 5 water tight bulkheads in the main hull and the 4 water tight bulkheads in the floats .

Too many production multihulls ( most condo cats )  built these days have forgotten the basic principle that Catamarans and Trimarans should never sink . They also should float high enough when inverted for the crew to safely survive when inverted 

http://rapidotrimarans.com/why-a-rapido-trimaran

• Like 5

Nice Paul. Looking at some of the Condomarans at the boat show, I wonder if their builders think they should ever venture out of protected waters.

I think you need to get that 40 up and running ASAP before you customer base spend all their money in Denmark at the Quornings!

I missed this tread for a while - just fantastic to se the process - and that the big cruising trimarans seems to be going. Here up north the boats sales has hit 6.gear after corona. 

Looks very clean and purposeful. Looking forward to seeing the beams and folding system.

Mark Waller must be working overtime in the heat this time of the year - get him a cooling vest

On 6/12/2020 at 8:33 AM, boardhead said:

I think you need to get that 40 up and running ASAP before you customer base spend all their money in Denmark at the Quornings!

Ha!  I’d say there were two different customer bases...  So far, the Rapido looks far superior and well worth waiting for.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Veeger said:

Ha!  I’d say there were two different customer bases...  So far, the Rapido looks far superior and well worth waiting for.

Only time will tell.

Rapido 40 Main Hull plug being machined now , float mold is finished , lots of floats coming soon !

Rapido 50 progressing rapidly , lots of photos coming soon !

DSC_0673small.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/20/2020 at 6:29 AM, Veeger said:

I have to agree with that. There is not much comparison between the two, except they are trimarans. It will attract a different clientelle all together. Nothing wrong with the Quornings Dragonflies, but they are no where near engineered and high tech as this Rapido 50 of what I can see of the specs, the designers behind it and how this is built. This is a weapon!

Paul Koch: will the 40 only be offered with helm steering? Or also wheel steering?

19 hours ago, Pantouf said:

I have to agree with that. There is not much comparison between the two, except they are trimarans. It will attract a different clientelle all together. Nothing wrong with the Quornings Dragonflies, but they are no where near engineered and high tech as this Rapido 50 of what I can see of the specs, the designers behind it and how this is built. This is a weapon!

Paul Koch: will the 40 only be offered with helm steering? Or also wheel steering?

The Rapido 40 will come standard with Tiller steering . Wheel is on the option list though it may disappear as I am struggling to figure out where to put it short of having 2 of them !

• Like 1

I would not be disappointed if the wheel option went away. 

• Like 3

Night one on Bullfrog ,sailing from Sydney to Brisbane, I took a wave spray full force at 15 knots in the face. Then an hour later the same thing at the second steering station on the other beam. I refitted one of the carbon helms dead centre and behind the dodger where I can stand and reach all the winches. Very reassuring to be able to sail without moving from behind a dodger. Had to redo the dyneema lines and nylon sheaves so that the control lines can never jam if anything should come loose.Could now redo the steering with only two sheaves per side, it is currently fitted with three each side.  Emergency tiller is a lightweight 2205 stainless tube hinged on top of the rudder. Shark Angels had tiller steering when Reni Gelder owned her. Where the dyneema goes through sheaves or there is any chance of chafing I have used shrink wrap as an extra barrier. Bottman

On 7/29/2020 at 6:10 AM, Paul Koch said:

The Rapido 40 will come standard with Tiller steering . Wheel is on the option list though it may disappear as I am struggling to figure out where to put it short of having 2 of them !

There is a trend of two wheels on a trimaran when the designer can't figure out what to do!

38 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

There is a trend of two wheels on a trimaran when the designer can't figure out what to do!

Screw it, be the first one...

THREE WHEELS!

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

My retirement included working, if I invest in the 40 can I become a US distributor? 

My wife loves boat shows, and i love deliveries.

Cheers, 

Stephen 

R2AKTEAMGOLDENOLDIES 

150607_MHP_Outside_R2AK_3981_zps8bvrjgkj.jpg

My trip has three tillers. One in each cockpit and the emergency one, inside, directly on the rudder head.

that's "tri" not "trip" - thanks again SpellCheck!! 

1 hour ago, multihuler said:

Hi Paul,

My retirement included working, if I invest in the 40 can I become a US distributor? 

My wife loves boat shows, and i love deliveries.

Cheers, 

Stephen 

R2AKTEAMGOLDENOLDIES 

150607_MHP_Outside_R2AK_3981_zps8bvrjgkj.jpg

Hey I remember that day. Just north of Seymour Narrows R2AK 2015. Just before you turned around. Nasty day!

1 hour ago, D Wayne G said:

Hey I remember that day. Just north of Seymour Narrows R2AK 2015. Just before you turned around. Nasty day!

You were killing it with a triple reefed main and the smallest storm sail I have ever seen,  why didn't we wait an hour for the tide to change?

36 minutes ago, multihuler said:

You were killing it with a triple reefed main and the smallest storm sail I have ever seen,  why didn't we wait an hour for the tide to change?

Because we were RACING!

• Like 4

On 7/23/2020 at 8:11 PM, Paul Koch said:

Rapido 40 Main Hull plug being machined now , float mold is finished , lots of floats coming soon !

Rapido 50 progressing rapidly , lots of photos coming soon !

DSC_0673small.jpg

Hit us Paul!

15 hours ago, Paul Koch said:

Another Tease !

DSC_0800.JPG

Okay!  You’ve ‘got me’.  (Might not be a buyer but I’m heading towards being a fan)