Sign in to follow this  
Defy

B&G Setup for F24

Hola,

Wanted to make sure I am getting everything I need to complete my refit of my Corsair F24.  Here is the setup I plan to get 

1) B&G Triton2 Digital Display Package - Includes (2) Displays  ($1499 from Defender) 

• 2 Displays: 4.1" Full Color Display with WS310 Wind Sensor
  • DST800 Plastic 235 kHz Thru Hull Transducer Provides Speed, Depth, Temp
  • Includes NMEA 2000 Micro-C Network Starter Kit

2) SIMRAD xSonic SS60 0° Tilt Thru-Hull Dual Frequency Transducer ($260 Westmarine) 

3) B&G Vulcan 9 Chartplotter ($1050 Westmarine) 

--Future upgrades -- Radar, Autotiller, small solar setup  

Notes- 

• The VHF setup on the boat works fine.  I might run a new antenna when I run the wire for the wind sensor.
  • Boat already has 2 thru hull sensors so just replacing them as they are 20 years old
  • Pretty sure I need the 0 tilt, but anyone know for sure?  Is the SS better than the all plastic one for durability shuld I save the 100 bucks and just get the plastic one?  
  • Plan is to put a Triton2 on the port side bulkhead to replace the current Raymarine speed/deepth gauge lcd, then mount the Vulcan on an arm in the cabin that swings out, keep the extra Triton display to see if I need more data, if not sell it. 
  • How do you keep all this crap charged?  Is a tender on the battery enough or should I look at solar?  

Not planing on racing, never say never, but I am a data guy and like to fiddle (power/watt meters on my my bikes and running shoes).  Am I missing anything?  I need to get the tranducers ASAP so I can have them installed while I get some glass work done and the bottom painted.  So I will probably wait for a sale for the Vulcan, maybe get the the set with the radar.   

for a Corsair F24, you might be better off with a DST800 in each hole assuming symmetry, as you will be ventilating the windward side a bit when its sporty... 

1 hour ago, WoobaGooba said:

Why both the DST800 and the SS60?

Two holes... figured it would be cheaper to put the sensor in rather than pay to have the hole fixed...

56 minutes ago, LionessRacing said:

for a Corsair F24, you might be better off with a DST800 in each hole assuming symmetry, as you will be ventilating the windward side a bit when its sporty... 

Not symmetrical, one is about a 2 foot in front of the other one in line with the center board.

I'd drop the DST800 and  go with a full size speedo paddle wheel in one hole, and the depth transducer in the other.  But not sure how to handle temperature.

14 hours ago, WoobaGooba said:

I'd drop the DST800 and  go with a full size speedo paddle wheel in one hole, and the depth transducer in the other.  But not sure how to handle temperature.

dt800

16 hours ago, WoobaGooba said:

The kit comes with that one so I think I will just use it.

i was thinking about the Simrad transducer with the chirp for the other one but not sure if the Vulcan can use the chirp.

Going to talk to a fiberglass guy on Friday if it is less than the sensor to patch the hole then i’ll patch one and just use the dst800.

So the kit comes with a 20m NMEA cable for the masthead wind vane.   My mast is 30ish feet (i think I should probably look that one up) so I will have extra cable.  How do I terminate it and get it into the cabin?  I would assume there is some sort of plug kit that I can buy that will allow me to cut the wire and splice it into a plug but I haven't found one.  Any ideas?  

20 hours ago, Slick470 said:

Thanks.  I think I need something that mounts thru the top of the cabin.  But I guess I could just put that above the cabin and run the wire thru.  Still thinking.  I need to get the mast light, vhf, and wind cables thru.

New updates:

I installed the Triton, wind sensor, and triducer.  Had some issues with the wind sensor, as in I didn't match the colors right when installing the field sensor.  But after I sorted that everything works and nothing leaks!   If you look closely you can see it mounted on the starboard side of the cockpit.  

So the next part in my system is installing the chartplotter, then the solar setup and at the end of the season when I take the mast down I'll install the radar.  

I have been looking around and cannot find a good solution for mounting a chartplotter in the companion way.  I have see a ton of swing out arms in pictures here on SA but can't find one for sale.  Anyone know where I can get one?  

DefyWire.JPG

sideshot1.jpg

2 hours ago, Defy said:

I have been looking around and cannot find a good solution for mounting a chartplotter in the companion way.  I have see a ton of swing out arms in pictures here on SA but can't find one for sale.  Anyone know where I can get one?  

Consider fabricating a "hatch board" out of lexan, that has a cutout for your chartplotter, and some type of a simple transparent lid that keeps people from kicking or touching it inadvertently. With enough cable, you can pull it out into the cockpit or onto a berth and use as convenient. 

2 hours ago, Defy said:

Check out RAM mounts, they have all kinds of components that you could configure to meet your needs.

https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/marine-swing-arms

3 hours ago, Lake Schooner said:

Check out RAM mounts, they have all kinds of components that you could configure to meet your needs.

https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/marine-swing-arms

Bingo!  I have ram and Scotty mounts but never saw their swing mounts and figured a 9inch plotter was too much for a ball mount.

4 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Consider fabricating a "hatch board" out of lexan, that has a cutout for your chartplotter, and some type of a simple transparent lid that keeps people from kicking or touching it inadvertently. With enough cable, you can pull it out into the cockpit or onto a berth and use as convenient. 

One word.. Kids ... they are in and out of the cabin too much.  But as soon as I fashion a raised cushion of sorts so my 7 year old can see over the cabin she’ll be at the helm and there will be less traffic in the cockpit.

Ok so I picked up my Vulcan 9 and I bought the ZG100 gps/compass.  I know the plotter has the GPS but I would like the compass readouts on the triton2 so I think I need the ZG100 to do that.  I have decided to hold off on the radar and install an autotiller instead.  

Few questions:

Maps:  Not sure which maps came with my plotter (assuming the basic ones) which maps should I get for the Chesapeake?  Should I get the C-map or the Navionics? 

Autotiller:  Looking at the Simrad TP-22 as I can connect it to the NEMA backbone.  From my research it will work but people wavier on how well.  Some say it works fine other say it works but you can't control it from the plotter.  Has anyone installed this setup know for sure?  

I don't know if there's much of a difference between the c-map and navionics, but since navionics was bought by garmin their subscription has changed a bit. I've always been partial to navionics myself. 

for the autopilot, the simrad is ok and will follow a course on the chartplotter. simrad and b&g have the same parent company and I believe as long as your firmware is up to date and you get the tiller pilot on the n2k backbone with a simnet to n2k cable, you should be able to control it from the vulcan.

you didn't necessarily need to buy the zg100 for its compass if you have the TP22, since the ap has a compass built in, but the TP22 will always use an external compass if one is available on the network and it's not terrible to have a backup GPS receiver. I've got an EV-100 ap on my boat and I use the heading sensor for that as the primary electronic compass, but I also have the zg so if I ever need backup.

Yeah I didn't think I needed the ZG100 but it will be nice to have a heading on the Triton2 when I don't have the TP hooked up.

I think I am going with the TP-22 but now I am curious what remotes will work.  The next part will be to figure out how to install a TP on my F24.  

On 6/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, Defy said:

Bingo!  I have ram and Scotty mounts but never saw their swing mounts and figured a 9inch plotter was too much for a ball mount.

Yeah I bought the ram mount and it’s too big, err tall.  By the time I mount it low as I can I only have 3 inches for my plotter.

Need something like this

96B0B86E-76EB-4F1F-AFED-2288E6F3D9AB.jpeg