danielhalasz

America's Cup 1980 Oil Painting

Hi everyone,

My name is Daniel and this is a long shot attempt to see if anyone has some advice for me as I'm not really part of any sailing community. 

In 1980 the artist Franco Costa was the official artist of America’s Cup. He painted an iconic artwork of the race that to this day is sold all over the world as lithographs (see attached image). 

My father bought the original oil painting from Franco Costa back in 1980, and now it hangs on one of the walls in my home. 

I am looking to part ways with the painting, but before I contact an art dealer or auction house, I wanted to reach out to this forum first, as I think the painting should belong to a sailing enthusiast. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I go about selling the painting to the right person? Do you know of anyone who'd be interested in having it?

I hold the painting very dear. I’d like it’s new home to be the right one. Hope you can help me out. 

Kindest,
Daniel

GLORIOUS AMERICA'S CUP 1.JPG

GLORIOUS AMERICA'S CUP 2.JPG

Contact Sotheby’s auction house.

I could only give you about a grand for it myself since I’m buying sails and more boats...

• Like 1

I would suggest posting this in the SA classifieds.

"I hold the painting very dear", oh.....clearly, so "dear" that you want to get as much for it as you can.  Good Luck with that, not really

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, fingerbang said:

"I hold the painting very dear", oh.....clearly, so "dear" that you want to get as much for it as you can.  Good Luck with that, not really

Sometimes people need money too...

How about contacting the NYYC. Pretty sure they have a staff or elected Curator. They may either want to buy it or know where it would sell.

• Like 1

I would suggest you contact his daughter Eleonora Costa in Italy. mail@francocosta.it

Alternatively Bonham's auctioneers.  They have the biggest and best marine painting division.  Based in London, but highly active in the USA.

I also think Soley's idea is great - the NYYC

FYI, signed prints are going for north of $2,000, so I'd thik the original might be a great deal more than that.  You might want to do some digging and find out who published those.

Or Antiques Roadshow?

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice! I've reached out to Sothebys, Bonhams and NYYC. I'm also speaking directly to Franco's family who are helping me put a value on the painting. 

16 hours ago, Al Paca said:

Minney's  marine swap meet is coming up soon.  

14 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Minney's

Newport Beach, CA

Swap Meet usually around 1st weekend of June.

14 hours ago, longy said:

Yes, your target market is NOT here.

And not at Minney's either :rolleyes:. Print a thousand cheap posters of it, and put them in a bin for $5 each, and they will go.

I know that lithograph well, Bill Koch gave it to a friend of mine. Everytime I walked past it made me think of a great 12 meter tacking duel, and somehow kept staring at it.

Have absolute no fucking idea of art prices, but would not be suprised if that original fetches more than $ 50.000. Any more guesses?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Have absolute no fucking idea of art prices, but would not be surprised if that original fetches more than $ 50.000. Any more guesses?

$26,537.48

3 more suggestions, for what it's worth.....

Once you have a ballpark valuation from family or Bonhams, I'd suggest contact the International 12 metre Class http://www.12mrclass.com (ITMA) - I'd suggest starting with the President, Dyer Jones, whose email address is at http://www.12mrclass.com/about-us/itmaofficers/

There are many rather wealthy 12 metre owners who might snap at this.  Or perhaps they might like to stage an auction at the next World's?

Then you should be preparing an eBay posting, and do a broadcast email to your contacts in the NYYC, ITMA and elsewhere, and also here.  There are several oils going for $200k plus on eBay, would you believe.

Or contact Bondy in Australia, or any of his 1980 crew.

Or the Italians, via the YCCS in Porto Cervo.

If any of my suggestions work, dial me in for 5%.

1 hour ago, freewheelin said:

is that his signature? 

The one on the oil looks like an earlier version of it, with the backward F.

Keep in mind the effect on one's penmanship of oil/brush/canvass vs paper/pencil.

Google his signature and decide. Having recently graduated from Storage Wars University with a major in Pawnstars Authentication, I have no hesitation in declaring this %100 authentic. 

Also, maybe reach out to these guys. 

https://americansocietyofmarineartists.com

Another thought...there's a poster over in Cruising Anarchy named Bull City you could contact via private message. From time to time he posts some of his own great work. Maybe he's got an idea or two?

...thinking out loud here...(as mentioned above) the NYYC would be the logical home for it for historical significance...but if you're looking for top dollar...not sure what their procurement procedure/budget is and would guess they are used to donations. Certain galleries have tax donation situations, probably not the yacht club but who knows? Could their be a valuation and rebate route? (Long shot)

My uncle was a maritime/marine painter who painted some famous boats. As he has passed a decade ago, we have some of the originals and from time to time an owner or former owner comes along and wants to make a reproduction to which we happily oblige. They've never really asked to buy them, but I suspect the painting you have, Daniel, is in a slightly different category.

The trick is to find former owners/financial backers/supporters that competed in that Cup if they're still around. If not, their descendants may have some interest. On top of that, marine collectors, or collectors that have an interest in Costa(which might trump all of the above). This shouldn't be too difficult to get started with. That painting should open some doors.

I'd also get a Sotheby's valuation at the outset so you know what your dealing with and have a starting point(including/less auction fees)if you want to affect a private sale. 

Good luck!

If its provenance can be verified it would surely be worth a good chunk at auction...(particularly an auction that takes place around the the next AC).

Hope it works out for you.

2 hours ago, fufkin said:

Those are print prices. Daniel has the original oil painting.

I multiplied those signed serigraph prices by 100 to get to my 50.000 guesstimate.

Also saw a Weiland oil painting for a similar amount.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, Al Paca said:

Minney's  marine swap meet is coming up soon.  

Ask Ernie.

Ducks for cover....

11 hours ago, freewheelin said:

is that his signature? 

Related image

It's actually my signature. I was a temp at the print shop and they would give me a stack of posters and I would sign them. This looks like near the end of the run when I really got dialed in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fufkin said:

Those are print prices. Daniel has the original oil painting.

yes, but wouldn't they be the people to call to get an appraisal instead of asking the numnuts on this site?

What does a Sash Weigh

asking for a friend ?

Now I know where DC learned to paint...

• Like 1

I have the team flag from Defender-Courageous syndicate in '83; last time I posted about it, no one thought it was worth much.  I wonder if that has changed????

5 minutes ago, v-max said:

Now I know where DC learned to paint...

Yes, no offense to the OP, but that style of painting leaves me underwhelmed...

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I have the team flag from Defender-Courageous syndicate in '83; last time I posted about it, no one thought it was worth much.  I wonder if that has changed????

OK, $12 nowe.....        :)

11 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

No thank, Snags!  Needs a few more zeros on the end...

3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:
14 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

No thank, Snags!  Needs a few more zeros on the end...

OK, laste offere ₮12,000            :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

OK, laste offere ₮12,000            :)

No familiar with that currency symbol, but I would guess would be Venezualan, so about 12 cents USD??

Go to Invaluable.com and see if they want to buy it.  They have a number of signed serigraphs of the same image.  If it's truly an original oil painting, you need to go to a professional appraiser before doing anything.

A mate of mine from Newport, Johnny Mac, is a marine artist and may very well have been part of that painting. He was sailing with " The Balloon" on Freedom in that cup series. Don't have his contacts, but he may be lurking on here somewhere. He would have some very good advice. For max freight, I would auction it off at 12 m contest in Newport this summer. Bill Koch may bid on it and he buys wine at .5 million a bottle sometimes. Good luck with it.

3 hours ago, Oxygen Thief said:

For max freight, I would auction it off at 12 m contest in Newport this summer. Bill Koch may bid on it and he buys wine at .5 million a bottle sometimes. Good luck with it.

That would seem a good idea, but believe it or not, that may already be happening. See my post in AC Anarchy on the subject:

On 3/23/2019 at 1:28 AM, hoom said:

Happened upon this thread in main SA section -> repost here, could be interesting for the bigger wallets round here.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:33 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

Right on, I hear some very big wallets are already onto it.

Made an offer myself, but was gazumped 100-fold within minutes.

Try $ 100.000 if you really want it !

16 hours ago, Oxygen Thief said:

A mate of mine from Newport, Johnny Mac, is a marine artist and may very well have been part of that painting. He was sailing with " The Balloon" on Freedom in that cup series. Don't have his contacts, but he may be lurking on here somewhere. He would have some very good advice. For max freight, I would auction it off at 12 m contest in Newport this summer. Bill Koch may bid on it and he buys wine at .5 million a bottle sometimes. Good luck with it.

Ah, the Brothers MacGowan...thick as thieves and twice as shifty, good bastards all! Been linked with 12 Pounders in Newport for ever.

www.johnmacgowan.com

You can also look around in commercial art price  databases like artnet.com to see if they have him listed. They usually give you a pretty good first estimate. 

Again, I'd like to thank you all for your interest and great advice. I can't remember last time I was so excited!
I'm kind of in touch with Bill Koch. I wrote to his work email and he (or someone on his staff) answered, asking how much I want for the painting. I still don't know!! Although I've contacted various art dealers and auction houses, nobody can give me a number.
I'm in contact with ITMA who said they might be able to put me in touch with potential buyers. I've emailed with Dennis Conner, Ernesto Bertarelli and NYYC who might be interested. I've emailed lots of other people in the sailing and art community whom I don't. Most of them say I have an iconic painting (at least in the sailing world) but can't put a figure on it.
To be continued...

Be very wary of the Koch's. They're dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, woahboy said:

Be very wary of the Koch's. They're dangerous. 

Bill is a bit more benign than the others, but still good advice.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:18 PM, Jules said:

Go to Invaluable.com and see if they want to buy it.  They have a number of signed serigraphs of the same image.  If it's truly an original oil painting, you need to go to a professional appraiser before doing anything.

Be very careful and track down an appraiser with experience with maritime art.   My wife is a retired art appraiser and the stories she has about the art world and how common forgeries of original art are is sobering.

- Stumbling

On 3/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, freewheelin said:

is that his signature? 

Related image

On 3/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, freewheelin said:

is that his signature? 

Related image

Signatures done with the tip of a pallet knife look different from those done with a pen or brush.

• Like 1