Editor

Sail or Bail?

sluggo1-300x259.jpg
The auto newsletter Jalopnik has a funny feature called "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" where they present certain used cars and ask the question: Nice price, or crack pipe?

Or version is "Sail or Bail" and we start it off with this unreal trick Hobie 33 Located in Santa Barbara, CA. There is not a chance that there is a more custom, super trick Hobie 33, anywhere (Although Still Crazy is pretty trick). Click on the link here to see for yourself what they have done to the boat and it is nothing short of incredible. 

Two problems come to mind: A) it is still a Hobie 33 and B) An asking price of $92,500.

Nobody is doubting the money it cost to get this thing the way it is, but $92k? We say Bail. What say you?

And if you come across a good candidate, send it to me! edior@sailinganarchy.com

Just now, Editor said:

And if you come across a good candidate, send it to me! edior@sailinganarchy.com

weird sounding email.. but goes along great with the generel theme

BAIL BAIL BAIL....then bail some more. WTF.....92K? 

$9200......sail.

EDIT....it IS by far, the most badass looking Hobie I have ever dun seen. Very well done!

Bail. 

I love ads like this.  Look, if you love your 1980s battlewagon and want to drop $100K on it, enjoy.  But, don't ever expect to get that money back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JxD said:

we caulle hime ED and he loved hime some IOR raceng                   :)

5 minutes ago, JxD said:

• Like 1

I'm so confused, are we voting on the boat or the girl in the pictures of the boat?  Does she come with the boat?  Another thing I'm confused about, does the boat actually come with a crack pipe and is the crack pipe empty or full?  Too many unanswered questions to vote just yet, need more info. :D

• Like 2

hmm the old rule of thumb is being ignored in the asking price; every dollar you put into a boat is worth 30 cents at resale time.

38 minutes ago, Editor said:

sluggo1-300x259.jpg
The auto newsletter Jalopnik has a funny feature called "Nice Price or Crack Pipe" where they present certain used cars and ask the question: Nice price, or crack pipe?

Or version is "Sail or Bail" and we start it off with this unreal trick Hobie 33 Located in Santa Barbara, CA. There is not a chance that there is a more custom, super trick Hobie 33, anywhere (Although Still Crazy is pretty trick). Click on the link here to see for yourself what they have done to the boat and it is nothing short of incredible. 

Two problems come to mind: A) it is still a Hobie 33 and B) An asking price of $92,500.

Nobody is doubting the money it cost to get this thing the way it is, but $92k? We say Bail. What say you?

I think you need to do a survey vote for this

Whew! They can keep it at that price.

Bail like a green fleet Opti sailor...all day.

• Like 1

Why not check out the wonderful selection of boats in the Sailing Anarchy Classifieds?

You can almost see what you are looking at with the three thumbnail photos;)

I’d say bail on that and make me an offer on my mothballed Fareast28R. Needs new mast and a set of rags...can be shipped West on its trailer and you’d look like a stud at the bar with all the silver!

• Like 1

I'm with KIS: in at 20k. And they might find a buyer up around 30k or a touch more. But when the numbers rise above that you getting closer to things like Express 37 territory. AT 92k I could buy a nice Express 37 (there's one available in the SF area now) and some new sails...

Edit: I'm kind of out even at 20k after reading the description on the boat's site.  "Xxxxxxx xxxxxx was totally repainted with all grip inside and out..." First, I just can't bring myself to repeat that horrid name. Second, "all grip"??

6 minutes ago, Editor said:

yeah, but i like people's comments!

Well I hope you like this one...

Sail, Bail, or TAIL! ™   No one rides for free.

undefined

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casc27 said:

I'm with KIS: in at 20k. And they might find a buyer up around 30k or a touch more. But when the numbers rise above that you getting closer to things like Express 37 territory. AT 92k I could buy a nice Express 37 (there's one available in the SF area now) and some new sails...

Edit: I'm kind of out even at 20k after reading the description on the boat's site.  "Xxxxxxx xxxxxx was totally repainted with all grip inside and out..." First, I just can't bring myself to repeat that horrid name. Second, "all grip"??

Yep - it's like when I see an ad for a motorcycle that says it has great breaks.  I just can't take the person seriously about anything after that.

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I think you need to do a survey vote for this

Pull those strings Clean.

I would guess the asking price will be a lot less after TransPac, especially if delivery is taken in Honolulu.

2 hours ago, casc27 said:

Second, "all grip"??

Goes with the Harkin(sic) winches.  

Bail.  It's like buying a home that someone dumped a lot of money into the landscaping.  You don't get that back.  Bathrooms and kitchens, yes, some ROI.  Boats and landscaping, no.

That said, it would sell for more than my longstanding 'used boats are a great deal in good condition at $1k per foot for 25'+ boats.  $40K and she'll move in a heartbeat.

Until then, BAIL.

11 minutes ago, See Level said:

7015624_0_140320191053_48.jpg

I'd feel so much better about the deal if she were sitting in a more slutty posture. Frickin' knees clamped tightly together: deal breaker!

Look, there's no doubt this boat is the Cock of the Walk, but that is definitely a crack pipe asking price. Rule of thumb with boats, cars, houses... If you want something tricked out, buy someone else's labor of love; you never get out of a custom job anywhere near what you put into it.

And that name... fuck! Just fuck.

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Well I hope you like this one...

Sail, Bail, or TAIL! ™   No one rides for free.

undefined

too late,,, she's in rehab now.   :mellow:

Bail...they're banking on the popularity and relative rarity, esp. in Bristol. I'm going to guess they get $56K. Price is Right rules anyone?

Why do people dump on a great boat with a fun name at a full price.  I doubt any of the commenters has accomplished any thing close to this cool.  Lighten up folks, or show us your ride.

Wow, once again this place shows it's class. The Ed tries to be funny/relevant and the minions pile on with derogatory/sexist comments to what is an amazing rebuild of a classic boat. I wonder how many of you knob heads have actually gone in and worked on your own boats to the extent that these people did? 

Assholes like SE and CS just show what they are with their posts. Total lack of respect and if I see you guys in person I'll certainly give you the works since I know who you are. 

This boat will be bought by someone who appreciates what it is and what it can do. I'm involved in the sale and I guarantee it will be going to a great new owner.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Snapper said:

I wonder how many of you knob heads have actually gone in and worked on your own boats to the extent that these people did? 

Lovely boat, but I didn't know that throwing a cheque book at professionals counts as working on your own boat. 

2 hours ago, Snapper said:

I'm involved in the sale and I guarantee I'll collect good commission for bitchin onya.

Yah, follow the $$$.

I'll hazard a guess youre a big part of the owners thinking they'll hit payola off all the upgrade$ yer $old em.  ;)

5 hours ago, CheeseH8R said:

Bail...they're banking on the popularity and relative rarity, esp. in Bristol. I'm going to guess they get $56K. Price is Right rules anyone?

I’ll go $1, Bob.

21 minutes ago, MiddayGun said:

Lovely boat, but I didn't know that throwing a cheque book at professionals counts as working on your own boat. 

mann, yer using that term loosely.    ...but the chequebook does pay for said 'professional' to jump around like an angry Chihuahua.   

Fun to watch.  Rather ferocious looking.    ....but totally harmless.  :lol:

"The Mast was also designed by Alan Andrews from a rebuilt J90 turbo mast. Double spreader, with 4 Spinnaker and 2 jib halyards."

4 Spin Halyards, WTF????

• Like 1

Overcapitalised? Sure. Gorgeous? Absolutely!

Some people drop that coin on a concourse condition modern-classic car to play with on the weekend against others running rat-rods. I guess this is the boat version.

I’d rechristen her, and spin the foredeck hatch 180° to keep her foredeck cleaner in a douse.

4 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

"The Mast was also designed by Alan Andrews from a rebuilt J90 turbo mast. Double spreader, with 4 Spinnaker and 2 jib halyards."

4 Spin Halyards, WTF????

2 masthead, 2 fractional perhaps

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

4 Spin Halyards, WTF????

I could knit a great scarf with those.

Guessing two frac, two masthead?

Paging Sail Life’s Mads to the Pretty Dang Spiffy & Overcapitalised phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, break my wallet said:

Nice job...the metal flake paint job on the mast is the bomb.! too much gas monkey boatyard...  50k overmarket..

What's the boat equivalent of a "trailer queen" in cars or "Mall Crawler" in trucks. That's what this is.

All that work and no bow pole?Looks great but the price no fucking way it's still a Hobie 33

1 hour ago, Rushman said:

2 masthead, 2 fractional perhaps

Not familiar with these, but looks like a masthead rig in all the pics??

16 hours ago, toad said:

hmm the old rule of thumb is being ignored in the asking price; every dollar you put into a boat is worth 30 cents at resale time.

And less if you decide you really want to sell it.   God help you if you NEED to sell it - that number quickly approaches zero.

I looked at/and trial sailed a 33 back in the early 90's.  When I realized there was no place to set a beer down in the cockpit without it dumping over, (flat or any angle of heal) I realized this was not a 30 footer I could love no matter how fast it was.

29 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

I looked at/and trial sailed a 33 back in the early 90's.  When I realized there was no place to set a beer down in the cockpit without it dumping over, (flat or any angle of heal) I realized this was not a 30 footer I could love no matter how fast it was.

There is a new device available called a cup holder!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

There is a new device available called a cup holder!

Yeah.  Never been a fan of those hanging from the lifelines.  Kind'a remind me of leaving the fenders on when you leave the dock.

*If* you were planning on spending about $100K to restore a Hobie 33, this would save you a lot of time. That market must be somewhere between 0 and 1 people. I actually do like the boat, but if you are going to do that isn't half the fun getting the boat done exactly the way YOU want, not the last guy. Kind of like how modding a $20K used car with $10K of mods turns it into a a $15K car . No one wants sloppy seconds :rolleyes:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Yeah.  Never been a fan of those hanging from the lifelines.  Kind'a remind me of leaving the fenders on when you leave the dock.

Last time I was sailing in your 'hood, our daughter borrowed a Colgate 26 from some friends sailing school.  We cruised around Fort Sumter whilst drinking beers, and I don't believe we had any cup holders?  OTOH, we weren't racing.  The Etchells I crew on had a glass globe compass on either side of the raised deck. We didn't really use them, so removed them, and installed a beer can holder in each one, and problem solved!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Last time I was sailing in your 'hood, our daughter borrowed a Colgate 26 from some friends sailing school.  We cruised around Fort Sumter whilst drinking beers, and I don't believe we had any cup holders?  OTOH, we weren't racing.  The Etchells I crew on had a glass globe compass on either side of the raised deck. We didn't really use them, so removed them, and installed a beer can holder in each one, and problem solved!!

Now there's an idea.  Thanks Billy!  Now, how do I get back to 1992?

1 minute ago, RobbieB said:

Now there's an idea.  Thanks Billy!  Now, how do I get back to 1992?

Why would you want to get back to '92?

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Why would you want to get back to '92?

That's when I looked at the Hobie 33 and passed on it due to the cockpit layout and no where to put a drink.  Now, if I'd had your idea....Also, I would pass on that first marriage as well, but that's another story....

• Like 1

Okay, I folla!  You could also put some sticky back plastic velcro hook tape on the deck in strategic places, and fasten the hook side tape to the bottom of beer cozies.  I have not actually tried that, but might be another solution.....

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

4 Spin Halyards, WTF????

You need at least 3 clipped onto the head while fantasy land at the back of the bus make up their mind. 

35 minutes ago, mad said:

You need at least 3 clipped onto the head while fantasy land at the back of the bus make up their mind fore the twelfthe time. 

:)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snapper said:

.....I'm involved in the sale and I guarantee it will be going to a great** new owner.

**...dumb with money

You better hope so, no other way to get yer commi$$ion.   :mellow:

12 hours ago, Snapper said:

Wow, once again this place shows it's class. The Ed tries to be funny/relevant and the minions pile on with derogatory/sexist comments to what is an amazing rebuild of a classic boat. I wonder how many of you knob heads have actually gone in and worked on your own boats to the extent that these people did? 

Assholes like SE and CS just show what they are with their posts. Total lack of respect and if I see you guys in person I'll certainly give you the works since I know who you are. 

This boat will be bought by someone who appreciates what it is and what it can do. I'm involved in the sale and I guarantee it will be going to a great new owner.

Sorry I actually own boats - Bail.

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

There are pics?

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I found the pics... Fractional rig with mast head kites

perhaps they mean 4 x kite sheets rather than halyards

I come from Lake Erie so I have seen a couple 3 Hobie 33s but have never sailed on one. 

That is the most tricked out Hobie 33 in the history of Hobie 33s. If you're looking to win some sort of downwind slide, that things a giant killer.

Even the website leads with "Aloha"

14 minutes ago, RATM said:

I come from Lake Erie so I have seen a couple 3 Hobie 33s but have never sailed on one. 

That is the most tricked out Hobie 33 in the history of Hobie 33s. If you're looking to win some sort of downwind slide, that things a giant killer.

Even the website leads with "Aloha"

yeh, the joys of handicap... giant killer IF it's your condition,,, or you do the Hawaii sledride once every couple of years.... woooHoooooo.  :mellow:

7 hours ago, RobbieB said:

That’s why Bill Lee will always be a god. Making ULDB’s popular was nice and all, but building cup holders into the deck mould was pure genius. 

• Like 2

This addresses a lot of the issues with a Hobie 33.  The carbon mast allows a taller mast, or at least a taller jib, so it's now an overlapping jib, not a genoa.  The cockpit some of you complained about has been completely redone.  The motor retracts under the cockpit, rather than hanging off the back.  If going to all that trouble, I would have replaced the keel with a deeper fin with almost all the weight in the bulb, and a beefed up structural grid.  If this is a Transpac boat, then the traditional spinnaker pole is ok.

• Like 1

Gotta pay to play... That boat is so well done, it's insane. Prepped several levels above outstanding.

I've seen H33's with $45-$55K thrown at them and while beyond cool, they don't come close to this one.

I'm sure there is a ledger that shows what was paid to make this boat what it is and I bet its over the asking price.

• Like 1

Lots of chatter on FB about this boat.  While $92 seems like a lot, many seem to be missing the point and quite a bit of the work done.  Someone tried to make the comparison to another Hobie on the market for $14k.  New cockpit, new ring frames, new rig...this isn't just a large roach main and big kite.  The boat is AS NEW and if you look at it that way, what new 30 something offshore sled are you going to get for under $100k?  I don't think the owner will get $92k for it if I had the coin, $50-$60 is going to get someone a pretty badass ride.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

I'm in at 20K ;)

5 more and it’s done!:)

24 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Lots of chatter on FB about this boat.  While $92 seems like a lot, many seem to be missing the point and quite a bit of the work done.  Someone tried to make the comparison to another Hobie on the market for $14k.  New cockpit, new ring frames, new rig...this isn't just a large roach main and big kite.  The boat is AS NEW and if you look at it that way, what new 30 something offshore sled are you going to get for under $100k?  I don't think the owner will get $92k for it if I had the coin, $50-$60 is going to get someone a pretty badass ride.

Yeah, I think this stopped being a Hobie 33 about $80K ago, and the badge is probably hurting the perceived value. Looks like it's more comparable to something like a J/88, and look what those go for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TJSoCal said:

Yeah, I think this stopped being a Hobie 33 about $80K ago, and the badge is probably hurting the perceived value. Looks like this is more comparable to something like a J/88, and look what those go for.

Exactly!

• Like 1

SAIL! - I have sailed Captain Sluggo  primarily in light air but can attest to its workmanship. Someone up the chain said they were not into "paying professionals". This project was a backyard labor of love that took close to 2 years. Full time job and life aside, with help from friends and his wife, it evolved into a pretty sweet platform. The original Cpt. Sluggo was a Santa Barbara boat that the current owner started crewing on in the early 80's. Many a beer was shared/spilled after racing about what a Hobie might do if tricked out-well here you go! 

Someone is going to have a lot of fun for less money than a comparably size "J" boat. And we all know what they feel like. And you can see from my avatar, I have raced plenty on J's. 

On 3/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, Hugh Jorgan said:

I'm so confused, are we voting on the boat or the girl in the pictures of the boat?  Does she come with the boat?  Another thing I'm confused about, does the boat actually come with a crack pipe and is the crack pipe empty or full?  Too many unanswered questions to vote just yet, need more info. :D

Good one!

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

:)

With 7 boats coming in, 3 on port screaming for water, while 4 come in on starboard doing the same and 45 seconds to rounding.  

You get what get, I’ll clip the pole onto something in a second! :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mad said:

You get what get, I’ll clip the pole onto something in a second! :lol:

The braine truste hase to be adaptabelle to, they expectte thet frome us, we shoude do saime!                      :)

11 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

The braine truste hase to be adaptabelle to, they expectte thet frome us, we shoude do saime!                      :)

I am, it’s just we tend to get it right more often than they do. 

16 hours ago, Snapper said:

I wonder how many of you knob heads have actually gone in and worked on your own boats to the extent that these people did?

hand_raising.gif.59d5082fce58cb510ede16669d02636c.gif

Not quite to that extent, but close enough to know how much work is involved, what the costs are in materials and labor.

I think it's a stretch to call a Hobie 33 "classic" unless by classic you mean "old". The build had problems from the beginning, not the least of which was caused by Hobie's intention of keeping the price down. The Hobie 33 took a long time before it started showing what it was capable of, and that was after the problem areas were corrected and the courses predominantly downwind. Captain Sluggo is an example of all the issues being addressed in best manner possible. But again, trying to recoup the cost of upgrades when selling will always be a tough if not impossible proposition.

I'm guessing it includes the slip. SB slips are often more the the value of the vessel docked in it.

2 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

I get it - this is a very nice boat. What the owner is going to find out is that adding X dollars of improvements to an old boat does not raise the price by X or even 0.5X and frequently not even 0.25X. Plenty of old boats with new diesels selling for about what the engine cost.

There are some difficulties too with actually buying the boat. It will be next to impossible to get financing for $90K on a boat with a book value of maybe 1/3 of that. So your market is primarily cash buyers and then try getting insurance for $90K.

• Like 1

As swimsailor said, this boat is as new.  The Hobie 33 hullform is incredibly slippery. It doesn't have the wide powerful reaching capability that is so stylish today, but as an all-around boat it's hard to beat.  As I mentioned before, I would like more stability in the form of a deeper bulb with the same ballast weight concentrated down low  

Every year AOPA takes an airplane apart, gets it totally refurbished with all new everything, and raffles it off to the membership. Usually the plane gets sold quickly because if you keep it, you are paying taxes on a plane they say is worth $100,000 because of what they put into it that no one will buy for more than a fraction of that. Same deal here - no matter how nice it is, it is an old boat with a lot of mods.

1 hour ago, Malaya said:

I'm guessing it includes the slip. SB slips are often more the the value of the vessel docked in it.

Doesn’t it sit on a trailer.

BTW, just checked out the re-vamped Taxi Dancer yesterday in Cabo, same owner.  Looks really nice.

24 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

BTW, just checked out the re-vamped Taxi Dancer yesterday in Cabo, same owner.  Looks really nice.

i wonder if he's adopting?? thats a great looking boat, just a bit high on the price, but i assume guy doesn't NEED to sell anyway.

The basic math here is simple. Take a 37 year old boat that's worth 15K, do a 100K refit and the boat is worth 15K.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Brother of Taxi co-owner  

13 hours ago, Moonduster said:

The basic math here is simple. Take a 37 year old boat that's worth 15K, do a 100K refit and the boat is worth 15K.

Not exactly. I am sure that boat would sell for $30K easy and maybe 40.