Sign in to follow this  
Herreshoff

Another J24 Verm job

I’ve been planning on removing the  vermiculite in our J24 and had ordered waterlines replacement kit.

So, I have given up on getting the floor kit from Waterline. They just straight out flaked. We are going to layup solid glass floors or go the Coosa board / G10 route glassed over and will fill the sump with resin, chopped strands, and cabosil. Additionally, some layers of high density foam layered with epoxy putty and glass layers up to the keel bolt thread level. Topping off with a plate of G10 and some cloth running out toward the side storage bunks.

I’ve read some posts from Gouv about him adding some finger thick roving strands running from the sump to the side bunks. I think he mentioned running from the bunks down under the keel bolt washers and extending across to the other side bunks. I would like to add some strength at the location directly aft of the keel because it seems the bottom sucks in a smidge when we lift the boat. It seems now would be the time to beef that section up.

Do others think we should just add some resin and cloth layers there or run some roving straps out of the sump and radiate out, or both?

It seems to me that on the verm job commitment time is when  you cut into the floor.

So, I finally committed. Basically, uncovered stinky wet mess as expected.

Couple things I’ve noticed. The top layer in the sump was cracked but pretty rock hard. Under that was potting soil like stinky black crap. Everything on the sides of the sump under the floors is less concrete like and more like glued sawdust. Some came out easy, some not so much. 

They ran vermiculite almost all the way to the transom. The rotted core floors are friggin heavy too!

I’ve included some pics for the fun of it.

I will update as we go. In my research on sump repair, I was able to source some good pics but not a lot so I’m going to try and document this thoroughly for the few that haven’t tackled this project and also to remove all doubt, the verm is wet, heavy and there’s a lot of it. You want it out.

To add to the fun, new bottom, don’t want to daylight;)

F333D957-BAFC-4D7E-90F3-A21A7A32E68E.jpeg

0B91C061-435D-427F-B567-608EE2F43724.jpeg

19CC407D-295B-479C-B0FF-8F899BF8BEB9.jpeg

C9972462-024F-4836-8F8C-F89069B80EA9.jpeg

CB9864D6-89EE-4FCE-96FF-94E05F54BE92.jpeg

2B6F6267-82B4-4C80-9D99-DA81B8F9FF80.jpeg

F9F8B4F6-669D-48DA-B67A-CECD58ACC6FB.jpeg

BC6A69BB-E6C1-4B60-9BF9-D471149B2042.jpeg

94EB9CD8-BEE9-4EFF-A063-35456E6FB839.jpeg

98F41C69-8F4F-4CF0-ACD2-341D7057F326.jpeg

5CB7656C-AC81-4F0B-8B17-9DDE470052DC.jpeg

48D610AD-3DCD-42C7-9C0E-8FCEE98C2AC2.jpeg

2CAF6CD2-9C96-409C-9F36-348882A7F3C2.jpeg

• Like 1

Any one dealing with removing rotten stuff should look into a tool called a Needle Scaler.  It's a precise air chisel.  We used them back in the 70's, when I was working by the bid not the hour.  Good luck.

Thanks guerdon, I think I have one. Never have used it, always have  thought of it for rust and scale removal on metal only. I have an air chisel too and expected to be using it but haven’t needed to as just started pecking by hand with single jack and chisel and it tediously comes out bit by bit. I think I actually have been enjoying the pain of process for some reason.

Trying to be gentle on the lamininant and was planning on a 1/2 a day or so of grinding away remaining vermiculite.

Please, any suggestions on floor sheathing. What do they usually use in the J24? Type, thickness?

I was going to go with a teak and holly sheet from our local hardwood supplier but it seems teak and holly plywood is just a thin veneer of teak and holly glued to marine plywood. It needs to be ordered.

Thinking of just going with a sheet of marine plywood that I can get immediately and can add any veneer I wish or not.

The thought of marine ply brings up questions in my mind with regards to durability and resistance to rot. Do I just saturate the plywood with epoxy? 

Is It a realistic / feasible option to go with a solid sheet of hardwood instead of ply?