Muttly

Sail or Bail?

It looks like 1/2 of a cat from most angles!

Sporty look but stubby keel was a surprise too...

Three years old, and what appears to be a custom design is already for sale?  What else is wrong with it besides the stubby keel? Bail.

It looks like they saw where the rigs go on a modern multi and put it at the opposite end? Or they purchased the rig before deciding how long the boat was going to be?

13 minutes ago, Swanno said:

It looks like they saw where the rigs go on a modern multi and put it at the opposite end? Or they purchased the rig before deciding how long the boat was going to be?

Ran out of money for the aft mast

• Like 1

Good looking boat if half an ounce of effort is put into replicating the link to scale... here, let me do that for ya.

895K NZ is just over 600K USD. That ain't my price range but it's not a crack price for a 2016 custom, either.

Randii

Screenshot_20190323-160114_Chrome.jpg

Anyone old enough to remember the Macgregor 65? This looks like an updated version. I just hope it doesn't flex as much as the original.

• Like 3

$895,000 and it doesn't even come with a girl or a crack pipe?  WTF??? Definitely a bail but in retrospect the Hobie 33 for $95K that comes with a crack pipe and a girl is starting to look better and better.  Is it too late to change my vote on the Hobie 33?

11 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I vote for unique thread names.

Maybe:

• Sail or Bail 001,
  • Sail or Bail 002,
  • Sail or Bail 003,

Bail or Sail 001, 002

Hoppy or Sail

Boring...

8 hours ago, randii said:

Good looking boat if half an ounce of effort is put into replicating the link to scale... here, let me do that for ya.

895K NZ is just over 600K USD. That ain't my price range but it's not a crack price for a 2016 custom, either.

Randii

The hull was built and launched over 20 years ago and it languished in Nelson Marina when the owner ran out of money and couldn't afford deck gear or rig.

The new owner bought it for next to nothing and did a cheap fitout. The rig is one that Nicorette broke minus a set of spreaders.

12 hours ago, PaulK said:

Three years old, and what appears to be a custom design is already for sale?  What else is wrong with it besides the stubby keel? Bail.

Current owner bought boat in 2010 (when it and the engine were already around 20 years old) and relaunched in mid 2011.

2016 launch date is BS.

Tiny galley, single miniscule toilet, single miniscule shower. Aft berths are difficult to sleep in in anything but glass calm as flat aft sections slap.

Cheap and awkward fitout.

BAIL!!!

15 hours ago, Liquid said:

Listed for $895K, above my pay grade...

Same here, minus the comma.

• Like 2

Must be awfully tender and tippy with that lack of keel??

The rig isn’t too tall so it should only be kind of tippy.

Trying to live with that interior on long distance cruise......that alone makes it a bail. The misfitting rig, gnome keel and the instinctive knowledge that it probably sails like shit as well makes iT a BAIL BAIL BAIL

What the heck is muttly. A socke perhaps?

ugly, stubby keel (previously noted) and a shitty cheap interior layout...800k? Bail as fast as we can.

Nice slim hull, but the boom is unacceptable, way too short! Andt the kerl... did the yacht fall off the crane? The keel is a joke.

I guess the owner wants a fast looking yacht but easy to sail for two with possibility to anchor in low waters near the beach.

A bad compromise.

Unfortunately "CUSTOM" also means what are you buying? Forget the purchase price for a minute, what will be the cost of ownership? Is the boat safe, how has it been built, notwithstanding appearance and aesthetics which is usually personal taste. There are more questions than answers sometimes when buying custom. Would like to see more photos, interior etc etc?

On 3/24/2019 at 10:14 AM, randii said:

Randii

Incorrect. Asking price is USD.  Also I agree with the other comments re living with that interior on a long distance cruise. I bet all my $$$ that is one of the reason's it's for sale.! 

For $895k USD there are better cruising boats perhaps. 

6 hours ago, woahboy said:

What the heck is muttly. A socke perhaps?

Ime am thicking so to, shalle we pursue????                     :)

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Incorrect. Asking price is USD.  Also I agree with the other comments re living with that interior on a long distance cruise. I bet all my $$$ that is one of the reason's it's for sale.! 

For $895k USD there are better cruising boats perhaps. 

Yep, a 44-50ft cat would have more room, be just as fast and a lot more comfortable.

Also, you wouldn't have to rent a superyacht berth every time you stayed  in a marina.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:14 AM, randii said:

Randii

Asking price OF $895k is in USD....

8 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ime am thicking so to, shalle we pursue????                     :)

I do believe we should. Wonder what they’re hihding from?

That is one ugly booze-mobile, I refuse to call that monstrosity a "sailboat".

I won't even say "bail", take a hammer to the seacocks and swim to shore.

• Like 1

This was designed and built as a full on race yacht back in the mid 90's. But they only got as far as the hull and decks before the customer ran out of money. It was a shame as if it had been finished it would have perhaps been one of the top race yachts of the time. 

It had a basic delivery keel on it and sat in a marina for 20 years doing nothing. Then someone brought it and finished it as a cruiser. 

Bail 

life's too short to sail ugly boats

bail

Bail like an opti kid!

That much jing and all you get is a pathetic little stabbin cabin?

Price it the same as the Hobie and I think I would still take the Hobie over this one.

not that I would take the Hobie....:ph34r:

If you ever sailed dinghies then you'd know it's possible to sail 'n' bail. 

1 hour ago, OutofOffice said:

That is one ugly booze-mobile, I refuse to call that monstrosity a "sailboat".

I won't even say "bail", take a hammer to the seacocks and swim to shore.

Can you say "Artificial Reef"?

• Like 1

300.000 USD Sail. 301.000 USD Bail. Provided that she has nothing wrong in terms of seaworthiness.

Phukit b/s has more photos and this description.

Designed as a very quick, short handed sailing yacht and built in Carbon fiber, Divinycell, and Kevlar by New Zealand craftsmen, she was not completed until purchased by her current owner in 2013, when she was rigged, sailed to Thailand for fitting out and finally commissioned in 2016. She completed her maiden voyage from New Zealand to Fiji in 4 days -18 hours which according to the RNZYS records is the fourth fastest time for a monohull ever, at an average speed of 11.5 knots. The owner a very experienced yachtsman, this is boat number 20 and is only selling as age takes its toll. NZ Flagged. These boat details are subject to contract. Note: Offers on the asking price may be considered. Visit our website for the full specifications of this boat with up to 100 photos, videos and virtual reality images.

https://phuket.boatshed.com/cook_80-boat-242357.html

One of the photos shows the boom/mast joint which appears to have some issues/cracks. 

Love the curtain to separate the master from the mains salon. Affords so much privacy and noise isolation.

There's probably a price where it makes sense as a project boat but that price is most likely somewhere between $200K and Omer's bid of $300K.

FWIW, this boat has been on YW for several years.

I think there are a lot of folks here who couldn't afford an Opti making snarky comments about this boat. In my opinion it isn't worth nearly the price since there are a lot of nice boats out there for less.

• Interior of a 50 ft boat, looking home built, but that's OK with me, my boat is home built too.
  • But I could see this interior working on a cruising boat.
  • Mast is not too far forward relative to the location of the keel, but the photo perspective makes it look worse.
  • Pretty narrow, and with that 7' keel, explains why the rig looks short, this is not a Mini Maxi 70'! I don't think Deerfoots are pretty either.
  • I think it would be a good cruising boat for the right price, but don't compare it with a $3million 78' Wally

Yeah, at $300k consider it, over that, Bail.

If your budget it more like used Opti, well just go ahead with the snarky comments and think you're cute.

Angle of pic misleading.

Doesn't look that bad in the flesh.

Reverse camber at it's age of design even.....Whoa!

Perfect for fast, short handed sailing..... but in the right direction....:rolleyes: