Sign in to follow this  
amtdys

Houston area yacht clubs

Just got a new gig in Houston - packing up the family and moving in June.  Looking for a new home for my J-29, and someplace I can also do some Laser racing.  Seems like the two options are HYC and LYC, with Clearlake as a third, but only for dinghys?  Would appreciate any insights as to major differences between the clubs.  

• Like 1

HYC has some really large alligator gars. You’ll find out how high they jump when you hit them with your laser. Try to avoid them and the shrimpers- they’ll pull you right up in the netsB)

Lakewood is having a new member drive right now, 50% off dues and slips for a year. DM me.

Welcome to Texas!

Both clubs have their good and bad. Can't go wrong with either. GBCA is the local anarchist racing club. You will definitely see yourself sailing in their events.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  My wife is new to sailing but has enjoyed beer can racing so far, and is way smarter than I am so I anticipate her picking up the finer points pretty quickly.  Both clubs seem to have women’s sailing opportunities, which is great.  My son will be a year old in June so prob a little too early to start making decisions based on quality of junior program (or is it?).  We know exactly no one in Houston, so club will double as our main social resource - at least initially.  

18 minutes ago, amtdys said:

Thanks for the info.  My wife is new to sailing but has enjoyed beer can racing so far, and is way smarter than I am so I anticipate her picking up the finer points pretty quickly.  Both clubs seem to have women’s sailing opportunities, which is great.  My son will be a year old in June so prob a little too early to start making decisions based on quality of junior program (or is it?).  We know exactly no one in Houston, so club will double as our main social resource - at least initially.  

for dighny sailing  check out Seabrook Sailing club    seabrooksailingclub.org    for the 29, the lakewood folk are pretty hospitable , they host the  Harvest Moon Regatta  - October 10-13, 2019

The only downside of SSC is it requires some volunteer work, it's not expensive and is a good place to sail a laser or windsurfer, years ago that area sanded in so the harbor is very shallow.  GBCA is worth joining just for the rum races (and Icicle races in winter) - it's low key, you show up and start on your handicap and there is a social event with food and rum after each one. Top boats in each class win rum but everybody shares and I have never seen anybody go thirsty. They also have a crew finder on their website.  Clear Lake Racing hosts the Wed night beer cans https://www.clearlakeracing.com/    The J29 is too big for the lake, there is a Portsmouth class for smaller boats like the Laser although not many have shown up the last few years - largest and best fleet is the J22, even if you don't race the party is again a great place to meet people. There are always people looking for crew.   HYC and Lakewood both have their strong points, I would recommend visiting each to see which is a better fit. HYC is on the upper part of the bay, the plus is when you clear the harbor you are sailing, Lakewood requires motoring through Clear Lake channel to get into the bay. 

Welcome to Houston, feel free to PM me if I can help. Caveat - I don't belong to anything as i subscribe to thee Groucho Marx theory I wouldn't belong to any group that would have me as a member.

• Like 2

Anyone with kids in one of the junior sailing programs, and if so, what level of concern do you have for the pollution of Galveston bay with petrochemical byproducts?  Seems like there’s no shortage of press about dioxin waste pits lining the ship channel and ICW, and Optis spend a fair amount of time upside down.  

1 hour ago, amtdys said:

Anyone with kids in one of the junior sailing programs, and if so, what level of concern do you have for the pollution of Galveston bay with petrochemical byproducts?  Seems like there’s no shortage of press about dioxin waste pits lining the ship channel and ICW, and Optis spend a fair amount of time upside down.  

Don’t worry about it. The mosquitoes will kill you before the chemicals do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, amtdys said:

you sure are taking a long time to move..

Just drive through Smog town and deposit the J29 in Corpus Christi Bay.  We once had 4-5 racing regularly.  They owned the bay in most breezes.  We even got a 5 ton hoist fer ya

10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you sure are taking a long time to move..

Been here for a year.  Headway has been slowed by newborn twins and the ‘rona.  But I did squeeze in a visit to HYC and TCYC before everything hit the fan.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, amtdys said:

Been here for a year.  Headway has been slowed by newborn twins and the ‘rona.  But I did squeeze in a visit to HYC and TCYC before everything hit the fan.  

When the Shit Hits the Fan

• Like 1