JimBowie

World sAiling has spoken...who's listening?

6 minutes ago, pudge said:

This is terrible. 

Let's price 90% of the potential sailors out of the main event???

• Like 1

Olympics have never worried about the cost of anything. This comes from the experience of all the committee members who stay in $1,000 per night suites with butlers and cooks. The Russians and Brazilians spend $$$ billions on facilities for an event which will never be used again.  How can these people ever understand the idea of a budget? 

• Like 1

Any other events use single bits of athlete’s kit worth that much?

6 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

The athletics stadium, the swimming pool, the hard standing facility for dinghy racing, the rowing lake, the veladrome.

20 yachts that no one has been allowed to sail before sailing out of a small existing marina? Chicken feed.

I was thinking more kit than infrastructures/stadia. Ie, runner has Lycra and spiked shoes, swimmer has swimsuit and googles. Shotputter has steel ball. Gymnasts and divers have bags of bribery cash, etc.

5 minutes ago, rgeek said:

The sailors wont be providing the boats

so us sailing going to be buying a bunch of boats for people to train on ?  who'll have access to those boats?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

so us sailing going to be buying a bunch of boats for people to train on ?  who'll have access to those boats?

How many teams are on the elite level in the '9er? 2-3?

The same way anyone else gets to the top level in the team, just not in prescribed equipment.

Now the team is obviously going to pick training equipment that's as close to the real thing as they can find out, and that will have cost issues if they go anywhere other than straight forward with the electronics, but so long they control access to the boats then being adaptable to new equipment is going to be a factor.

The big mistake they made with the match racing was letting countries buy the boats.

48 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

Good dressage or show jumping horses aren't exactly cheap. And I don't think you can charter them?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HFC Hunter said:

Olympic class bobsleds can get up near $100K.

The L30 class claims a ready to race boat is 100K euros.  https://l30class.org/l30-one-dsign/

I seriously doubt that 100K euro number - even $200K seems on the low side.

I'd imagine that to campaign a boat like this for the olympics will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars  - not including the boat.

2 minutes ago, slap said:

Olympic class bobsleds can get up near $100K.

The L30 class claims a ready to race boat is 100K euros.  https://l30class.org/l30-one-dsign/

I seriously doubt that 100K euro number - even $200K seems on the low side.

I'd imagine that to campaign a boat like this for the olympics will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars  - not including the boat.

features-iphone.png

Twin wheels for the helm on a 30 foot boat?   Give me a break!

- Stumbling

7 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

features-iphone.png

- Stumbling

For easy cockpit access, for post race cocktailin'

Just now, Lono said:

For easy cocktail access, for post race boozin'

And preventing the meat from stumbling back into fantasyland.

- Stumbling

22 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Good dressage or show jumping horses aren't exactly cheap. And I don't think you can charter them?

The riders quite often don't own the horses though.

What were the other contenders?

Why not figaro 3 or seascape 27 or some J? What two handed OD racing classes do they race in the US? 

I congratulate WS. Finally we have recognition that sailing is a rich person's sport and we have an event that will exclude the great unwashed. This harks back to the golden era of Olympic sailing between 1920 and 1932 when Olympic sailing was recognized as an exclusive gentleman's sport and proud of it!.  That was the era of the privately owned 8 meters  for four Olympic cycles and of course....1920 was the jubilee year.....when the working classes are distracted by mundane matters such as the great depression and unemployment but gentlemen were racing 12 meter yachts at the Olympics. There was none of this nonsense about gender neutrality or crap about including 3rd world countries like India or China. Olympic sailing was a decent yacht from a proper country sailed by someone with the means to pay their own way without being subsidized by the taxpayer.

A yacht costing $200,000 or so, should bring back some decent owner types and if they choose to hire a professional sailor so that they can buy an Olympic medal in addition to their son's place at Stanford....all credit to them. Its capitalism at work.

I think it diminishes the event to allow charter boats or provided boat.  If you cant afford it, you shouldnt be there.  That is why they are called Olympic trials.   

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, rgeek said:

The riders quite often don't own the horses though.

But the owners sometimes owns the rider, which is fine. Your horse gets a medal for the barn which is the main thing.

I believe Princess Anne rode her own horses when she was an Olympian. No one can deny she got there on anything less than merit.

• Like 2

Head linked article says this selection is for inaugural "offshore worlds",  tied to the Rolex Middle Sea Race in October 2020.  How does this jump to Olympics?  

2 hours ago, rgeek said:

The athletics stadium, the swimming pool, the hard standing facility for dinghy racing, the rowing lake, the veladrome.

20 yachts that no one has been allowed to sail before sailing out of a small existing marina? Chicken feed.

I say follow the money. Sheesh.

1 hour ago, IPLore said:

I congratulate WS. Finally we have recognition that sailing is a rich person's sport and we have an event that will exclude the great unwashed. This harks back to the golden era of Olympic sailing between 1920 and 1932 when Olympic sailing was recognized as an exclusive gentleman's sport and proud of it!.  That was the era of the privately owned 8 meters  for four Olympic cycles and of course....1920 was the jubilee year.....when the working classes are distracted by mundane matters such as the great depression and unemployment but gentlemen were racing 12 meter yachts at the Olympics. There was none of this nonsense about gender neutrality or crap about including 3rd world countries like India or China. Olympic sailing was a decent yacht from a proper country sailed by someone with the means to pay their own way without being subsidized by the taxpayer.

A yacht costing $200,000 or so, should bring back some decent owner types and if they choose to hire a professional sailor so that they can buy an Olympic medal in addition to their son's place at Stanford....all credit to them. Its capitalism at work.

I think it diminishes the event to allow charter boats or provided boat.  If you cant afford it, you shouldnt be there.  That is why they are called Olympic trials.   

i think you're off by a little bit there.. 

my favorite posts of the past month.  nice work lore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

An Olympic level 8+ shell will be a lot more than that. Before the blades. But point taken. It is not like crew is a shining example of equal opportunity in sport.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i think you're off by a little bit there.. 

9 years but when have facts ever got in the way of a WS decision?

Opps. So sorry upset the SA apple-cart by posting a Scuttlebutt scoop...

Absolutely ridiculous.

Coming to an Olympics in the near future: Olympic F1, Olympic WRC & Olympic Reno Air-Races.

this is messed up.

hope I'm wrong, but this approach looks rather random & disjointed.

but good for them and hopefully us - maybe this will provide impetus for DH sailing around the world.

4 hours ago, ic_fly2 said:

Why not figaro 3 or seascape 27 or some J? What two handed OD racing classes do they race in the US? 

In my neck of the woods: Moore 24 and Express 27

5 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

features-iphone.png

- Stumbling

Kzackly!!  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

EDIT - kind of like putting a wheel on an Etchells, Star or Lightning FFS.....

Kind of hard to take someone seriously if they don't know what year the great depression was.... Then again Finn sailors, especially disgruntled ones, are known for their brawn and not their brains...

The boat is ugly for sure, and the process by which is was selected is even uglier.

But the idea of a marathon sailing event is innovate and shows that the sport is willing to include people who don't match the physical body types of the standard olympic classes. If you want to talk relevancy tell it to all the cruisers and distance sailors and big boat racers and match racers who look at the existing olympic classes and say "but that's not the kind of sailing I do."

It's expensive to move around and campaign, yes, but from a size point of view it's not any larger than the Soling (also at 30 feet) was and that's a beloved piece of Olympic history.

So maybe keep your sour grapes to yourself and enjoy the change. Those of us who believe that sailing prowess can involve more than who can hike a laser harder are very interested.

Amusingly I think this ‘offshore’ yacht isn’t even eligible for the Middle Sea Race as it probably won’t get an ISO cat A rating / STIX > 32 with such narrow beam (eg a J/92S with the deep keel is Cat B / STIX 31)

9 hours ago, ic_fly2 said:

That is the tragedy upon tragedy. If they seriously think short handed offshore is the way to go then chose a short handed offshore boat. What they have chosen is a narrow boat built for crew and a piece of shit.

9 hours ago, IPLore said:

I believe Princess Anne rode her own horses when she was an Olympian. No one can deny she got there on anything less than merit.

It was always difficult picking her and the horse apart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

That’s a horrible thing to say about a horse

11 hours ago, IPLore said:

But the owners sometimes owns the rider, which is fine. Your horse gets a medal for the barn which is the main thing.

She sails her own boat too AND is a capable yachtswoman. Even refused a Special Branch crew member when she kept her boat up at Ardfern on Scotland's West Coast. I remember seeing a very alert looking guy with a 'bulging jacket' at the top of the slip as she and hubby slipped their mooring one day (yes Blue Doublet was on a mooring and they had to row out).

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Naughty. At least she got to the Olympics on merit and is RYA patron because she sails - like her dad before her

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is the tragedy upon tragedy. If they seriously think short handed offshore is the way to go then chose a short handed offshore boat. What they have chosen is a narrow boat built for crew and a piece of shit.

They would have been further up the right path if they had chosen the J-24.  Only slightly kidding.

That thing looks like hell moving through the water.  Dragging its butt, pushing a bow wave, towing the ocean along with a nice little triangle wake behind it.  What it doesn't look is fast.  

And the two wheel thing is a joke.  

I think the wheels are there because tv commentators didn’t want to explain to their audience over and over again that the boats are driven by that little stick in the back and if you push it to the left the boat goes to the right and vice versa. 

...only now they’ll have to explain why there‘s two wheels... over and over again... :lol: 

25 minutes ago, SailMoore1 said:

And they said the Finn was too expensive.........

Nah

They said the Finn + laser didnt have an eqivelent balance of female events amd they had too much to cram in to 10 events to indulge more than one una rig single hander.

2 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

...only now they’ll have to explain why there‘s two wheels... over and over again... :lol: 

Easy enough to explain you silly, its a double-handed race, each have their own wheel! One steers on starboard tack, the other on port tack, and together downwind. Oh, and starts on autopilot, if they have one, who knows?

Also, how interesting is the technical description:

"The boat is equipped with Trim Tab that add more performance sailing upwind and facilitate downwind sailing in strong breeze.
Two lifting rudders gives safety in survival conditions and decline the foils resistance in light wind."

And don't forget to click on this link in the buttscuttle article:

https://interestingsailboats.blogspot.com/2019/03/l30-shame-on-world-sailing.html?m=1

"The L30 lacks the initial stability that is necessary to make a sailing boat suited for solo or duo offshore racing, initial stability that makes it a more stable platform to work and an easier boat to sail." etc.

18 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Horse , transport , food, and doping certainly not cheep.... I have friends that have do this at an elite level and the drugs and masking agents cost more than most Olympic campaign sail packages ...

https://www.horsejournals.com/equine-doping

To get back on topic - I remember when we thought $40,000+ for a Star was considered absurd and non- inclusive even before we started swapping all the keels out... The “elite” countries will still figure out how to get their teams boats to train in and the rest will be fodder.... 

FWIW this looks like a terrible boat to sail...

10 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

To get back on topic - I remember when we thought $40,000+ for a Star was considered absurd and non- inclusive even before we started swapping all the keels out... The “elite” countries will still figure out how to get their teams boats to train in and the rest will be fodder.... 

And that's the biggest question mark over all this.

Seems the boats will be paid for through charter fees for events and training blocks.

20 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

Terrible...you are being kind. I think this SH offshore dog will be knicknamed the "Scruffy Class" 

IMG_20190327_205322.jpg

8 hours ago, lemonpepper said:

If Luca is going to supply the boats, what does it matter how much they cost?  

I guess it wouldn't matter so long as no one is ever allowed to train aboard the class

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Naughty. At least she got to the Olympics on merit a

5 hours ago, 10thTonner said:

I think the wheels are there because tv commentators didn’t want to explain to their audience over and over again that the boats are driven by that little stick in the back and if you push it to the left the boat goes to the right and vice versa. 

That's literally the reason.  I was at the WS meeting when this was confirmed for the future (as an exhibition at the Olympics with hopes for full status after proof of concept). 

See this for what it is: An opportunity for a mixed pair of sailors to be able to tweet cool sunset pics while competing at the olympics.  It's reality/social media meets olympic sailing, and the truth is that it's got a hell of a better chance of getting real audience compared to something like the 470 which never, ever will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Terrible...you are being kind. I think this SH offshore dog will be knicknamed the "Scruffy Class" 

IMG_20190327_205322.jpg

Agree, the offshore DH concept is compelling but the L30 just looks terrible regardless of which sailors have testsailed it. 

Would have a J/99, dehler 30 or figaro 3 any day instead of the L30

I think the most effective approach at this point is to just lobby to have sailing removed from the Olympics altogether before this bullshit destroys the public's image of the sport completely. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, IPLore said:

9 years but when have facts ever got in the way of a WS decision?

...and 21years before the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, but who’s counting? I also think you forget to hit the sarcasm font “on” button when you typed your post, I’m sure some won’t get it (or maybe I don’t?) but whatevva.

Can someone please explain what is the link between this event and the Olympics?   The OP posted an article talking about WS holding an "Offshore Worlds" double handed event in Malta.  The 2020 Summer Olympic venue is Tokyo, not Malta. The Olympics are in July/August, not October. It appears that the Royal Malta YC (or perhaps WS) is arranging to  get a fleet of the boats they plan to use, to charter to participants.  Sounds a lot like events the NYYC holds with their 42's, or Sonars, except that WS decided to call it a "World Championship" besides.  There is no mention of this boat being used in the Paris 2024 Olympics. The lead article of this thread (see OP's link) has now added a note to make this point clear.  Why all this confabulation?    

1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Can someone please explain what is the link between this event and the Olympics?   The OP posted an article talking about WS holding an "Offshore Worlds" double handed event in Malta.  The 2020 Summer Olympic venue is Tokyo, not Malta. The Olympics are in July/August, not October. It appears that the Royal Malta YC (or perhaps WS) is arranging to  get a fleet of the boats they plan to use, to charter to participants.  Sounds a lot like events the NYYC holds with their 42's, or Sonars, except that WS decided to call it a "World Championship" besides.  There is no mention of this boat being used in the Paris 2024 Olympics. The lead article of this thread (see OP's link) has now added a note to make this point clear.  Why all this confabulation?    

In the Barcelona World Sailing meeting, the offshore council pushed hard to get offshore sailing in the olympics, primarily because it is such a compelling part of our sport that no one outside offshore sailors ever sees.  That was a genuine motivation for some.  For others, the crossover opportunities (with for example the VOR), the communication possibilities as I outlined above, and the marketing and sponsorship opportunities are simply too big, compared to the other Olympic classes, to pass up.  

It was voted in as an 'exhibition' sport by the world council for 2024 if i remember correctly with the goal toward full olympic inclusion by '28.  Most of that meeting is on Youtube somewhere.

• Like 1

If you're going to pick the $200K + option at least pick the one that already has an established circuit. IE Figaro III. I'm not actually opposed to this as Clean states better story than watching boats from the 70's sail around a sausage with imaginary boundaries... 

3 minutes ago, Broseidon said:

If you're going to pick the $200K + option at least pick the one that already has an established circuit. IE Figaro III. I'm not actually opposed to this as Clean states better story than watching boats from the 70's sail around a sausage with imaginary boundaries... 

I think the concept was for the offshore boats to do a single 48 hour race

• Like 1

Ah, it's not all bad.  Start with there is offshore sailing in the Olympics.  The selected boat will work.  There was no way it was ever going to be cheap and so it isn't.  Offshore anything is pricey and it could have been a larger, even more $$ yacht that was selected.  Twin wheels are quirky on a 30', so what.  I'm not saying it was the best choice but I'm happy to see offshore sailing happening and in a suitable vessel.  It'll be ok.

• Like 1

They did discuss other boats including the Figaro during the offshore committee meeting.  I have zero knowledge on how selections went after that.  Would be surprised if they did a backroom deal considering the EU anti-monopoly stuff that's happening right now

17 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

2 nights and 3 days have also been mentioned. 

Long enough to need auto pilot or its not offshore also came up. Not sure if that was to race or for safety.

Also chat that ot should be set up to allow athletes to multi medal.

23 hours ago, stumblingthunder said:

features-iphone.png

- Stumbling

With a nice slide board a real disabled person could be on a team, but who can afford it.

23 hours ago, IPLore said:

I read the article and there was no mention of the Olympics. But the did say "affordability.". 200K for a 30 ' boat? give me a fucking break. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:32 AM, ic_fly2 said:

Maybe because it would have looked silly for someone in the bottom 5% of the Fig III class to be a gold medal olympian, this assuming that regular Fig III circuit sailors did not try to go olympic.

Or perhaps they foresaw a complete lack of interest from anyone outside the Fig III circuit spending time & treasure trying to podium against regular Fig III circuit guys in an olympic competition.

Could also be they saw the Fig III as being too demanding for some folks; as Clean points out, they want sunset tweets, not real hard fought competition. In the end I'm more interested in the impact on sailing generally, not the validity of the boat selected or even of the olympics itself.

^

More likely than any of those was that Beneteau didn't offer a good fleet charter deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

^

More likely than any of those was that Beneteau didn't offer a good fleet charter deal.

Generated by it ultimately ending up a shit fight they would have to write off any investment in.

3 hours ago, PaulK said:

+1.  This one has hope...smart enough to be dangerous...this one is...

18 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

^

I think WS buys the boats, then charters them to participating countries. Those countries then pick their olympians for that boat.

In other words, Bene would be "out" after the sale.

^

I guess neither of us knows for sure but that isn't the usual model for SMOD supplied charter boats.

If however it's a Beneteau sale, then their fleet sale price wasn't good enough. The point applies in either case.

11 minutes ago, Parma said:

I think WS buys the boats, then charters them to participating countries.

WS does not have the either assets or revenue to support that financial  model. A supplier will have to finance it.

39 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

^

thumbs up

25 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

+1.  This one has hope...smart enough to be dangerous...this one is...

It's not a secret, just read the stuff from the barcelona WS conference.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

WS does not have the either assets or revenue to support that financial  model. A supplier will have to finance it.

And the L30 class or builder does? Something does not make sense here.

Maybe WS is subsidizing  it?

3 minutes ago, Parma said:

Maybe WS is subsidizing  it?

Unless they can find a sponsor.  perhaps someone who sells the boats for training purposes.  imagine that.

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

She likes horses. The Irish like horses. She enjoys a craic.... Squadron lawn, opening ceremony of AC85, Anne is there as President of the RYA etc and will be presented to all the teams. When she gets to us (OK I am adopted...), one of our number makes a comment about falling off last week at Badminton or Burleigh or wherever. She wades straight in, disappears into a huddle of Irishmen, and does nor reappear for several minutes. We were taken aside by Special Branch later, and given the first degree, threats and menace... I did try to argue that she was probably never safer. I have met her a few times. She is cool and works bloody hard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DHFiend said:

Horse , transport , food, and doping certainly not cheep.... I have friends that have do this at an elite level and the drugs and masking agents cost more than most Olympic campaign sail packages ...

https://www.horsejournals.com/equine-doping

The driver is hunting all over the place on the runs.  No feel?  No groove or hip to set the boat up on?  Or is that bow is just digging in with a mind of its own.

the video states the Malta competition will be a 'mixed two person' competition, yet every video of the L30 shows at least 4 people on board. I have no dog in this fight, but this should be fun to watch a boat obviously designed for a full crew to limping its way around whatever offshore course they have set up.  also, these boats are pretty homely.

L30 has listed four dealers listed. (Hong Kong, Macau, PRC), (Hungary/Austria/Poland), then Germany and Russia.

If there was any public disclosure requirements/freedom of information accountability - someone would look into World Sailing/financial interest exchanged in making this determination, along with production schedule + who has reserved boats or already own them.

1 hour ago, ryley said:

the video states the Malta competition will be a 'mixed two person' competition, yet every video of the L30 shows at least 4 people on board. I have no dog in this fight, but this should be fun to watch a boat obviously designed for a full crew to limping its way around whatever offshore course they have set up.  

Have you done any two-handed racing? Handling a 30 footer two-up isn't so hard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Have you done any two-handed racing? Handling a 30 footer two-up isn't so hard. 

I have, that mostly what I do.

This boat is not set up for DHing - it has runners. Runners on a DH boat. WTF?

Lots better choices for a small DH platform to tweet sunset photos from, I suspect the reason for this boat is that it is equally unfamiliar to all.

Maybe someone at WS (or WS itself) is getting a kickback from the builder

8 hours ago, jackolantern said:

All signs are pointing to the L-30 as the replacement for the Finn

And why specifically the L-30? I'll give you a hint, it ain't because it's a particularly special boat...it's because there are certain parties that bought interests in the boat before this decision was even on the table.

In 2028 racing around Catalina at night is going to be FUCKING BORING. I'd rather watch my fellow gorillas going 4.8kts.

7 minutes ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

And why specifically the L-30? I'll give you a hint, it ain't because it's a particularly special boat...it's because there are certain parties that bought interests in the boat before this decision was even on the table.

In 2028 racing around Catalina at night is going to be FUCKING BORING. I'd rather watch my fellow gorillas going 4.8kts.

I might have to start watching rhythmic gymnastics

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

In the Barcelona World Sailing meeting, the offshore council pushed hard to get offshore sailing in the olympics, primarily because it is such a compelling part of our sport that no one outside offshore sailors ever sees.  That was a genuine motivation for some.  For others, the crossover opportunities (with for example the VOR), the communication possibilities as I outlined above, and the marketing and sponsorship opportunities are simply too big, compared to the other Olympic classes, to pass up.  

It was voted in as an 'exhibition' sport by the world council for 2024 if i remember correctly with the goal toward full olympic inclusion by '28.  Most of that meeting is on Youtube somewhere.

Thanks. That's about what I thought.  If WS finds out that the L30 is as much of a dog as some here think, we don't need to worry about them in the Olympics. 

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I can just see them lining up to pay the big bucks for the TV rights for that one

Call me stupid but how is Sailing Australia going to pick the Australian team!

It is not like we can have trials.

Unless SA charters a fleet of Sydney  38s  32s and has a series of races to say Montgue Island and back!

Winner gets to go!

But of course it will be some subjective bullshit about we think these two can do best!

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Call me stupid but how is Sailing Australia going to pick the Australian team!

It is not like we can have trials.

Unless SA charters a fleet of Sydney  38s  32s and has a series of races to say Montgue Island and back!

Winner gets to go!

But of course it will be some subjective bullshit about we think these two can do best!

AS have already made their selection who else but the #1 offshore helmsman in Australia (after all he’s won 9 Hobart’s) and some young techo type that will be able to tune the AIS to the OFF position

• Like 1