Sign in to follow this  
silversurfer

Suggestions for activities in Newport RI

Two Danish guys in Newport June 8th and 9th before heading up to a conference in Boston on the 10th. Sailors since childhood.One is a member of the Royal Danish Yacht Club. How do we best spend two days ? Any input welcome.

visit IYRS? Bring a letter of introduction & see NYYC?

3 minutes ago, PaulK said:

visit IYRS? Bring a letter of introduction & see NYYC?

Working on a letter of introduction from the Royal Danish Yacht Club to NYYC......

IYRS seems like a good suggestion for two engineers working in CAD/CAM/CAE/PLM......

Keep them coming - much appreciated.

Any good ways to get on the water ?

If you an get into Harbor Court (NYYC), it's worth a visit.  

Agree on herreshoff museum and IYRS.

Leukemia Cup is on 8 June.  May be able to get a ride for that.  

Ocean Drive, worth the time.

Mansions, The Breakers and Marble House are our favorites (and everyone else).

Sailing on the 12-meters is wonderful if you can set it up (call ahead!), if not go out on the Madeline (Bannister's Wharf) or the Adirondack II (Bowen's Wharf) - you can just walk up and go, no need to schedule in advance. Rum Runner II if you want a power boat (same outfit as the Madeline).

We love IYRS, the Herreshoff Museum and the Newport Shipyard.

Best upscale restaurant in the area is FiSH in Jamestown, but there are plenty of decent less expensive choices in Newport (Scales & Shells, The Black Pearl to name a couple). There are a few restaurants that aren't very good, catering to tourists, e.g. Christie's, Brick Alley Pub.

The Castle Hill Inn restaurant/bar/hotel is wonderful, but expensive.

Get one of the local high schoolers to take you inside Ft Adams after dark. Go to the end of the listening tunnel, write your initials. Row the boat.

3 hours ago, Son of a Sailor said:

Herreshoff Museum in Bristol . . . it is about 20 minute drive from Newport.

http://www.herreshoff.org/

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!  Used to stop there on our way too and from a home we had on Prudence Island years ago.

Bermuda 1-2 starts on June 8.  Sit on the lawn at Castle Hill and watch the fleet head out. It should be 30+ boats ( including Dragon)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, silversurfer said:

Two Danish guys in Newport June 8th and 9th before heading up to a conference in Boston on the 10th. Sailors since childhood.One is a member of the Royal Danish Yacht Club. How do we best spend two days ? Any input welcome.

Sex

Enjoyed the mansions, Marble House, Breakers and Rosecliff, all snapshots of a  time gone by.  IYRS was cool too, had the original "cigarette" boat that I think Don Aronow got inspiration from(not that it looks anything like his cigarettes)-not sure if that it still there, was a few years ago since I have been.  Might add Obriens Pub (again a few  years since I have been-not sure if still there) for those with a sense of history to see the A2 battle flag of Kangaroo with boxing gloves.  I might also add Team one for gear, kind of a fun place to wander and also Fort Adams.  There are no bad answers here, after all it is Newport, RI, a sailors mecca so just being there is well worth the trip.

16 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Ayup. Still gross. I prefer Mel's Cafenio. It's just as gross but the foods better. 

Back in the day, a breakfast like that was somewhat of a hangover cure for many of us!

Fr

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:
1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Ayup. Still gross. I prefer Mel's Cafenio. It's just as gross but the foods better. 

Back in the day, a breakfast like that was somewhat of a hangover cure for many of us!

Fracklin Spa wase allwayes fun forre thet to!                   :)

53 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Fr

Fracklin Spa wase allwayes fun forre thet to!                   :)

Too clean. Mel’s breakfast burrito is a winner for those hungover mornings

6 hours ago, pschoonveld said:

Non-sailing day?

-Franklin Spa - chorizo

-Pour Judgement

-Harbour Ct

Franklins Spa breakfast

Black Pearl or the Lobster Bar on Bowen's wharf or lunch (IMO Clarke's Cooke House is just too overpriced to be worth it, but it does offer some spectacular people watching)

Pour Judgement for evening beers

Thames Street Kitchen for dinner - awesome food by a really cool group of locals, or their Mission Burger bar for something more low key

Ocean Drive and the mansions are really impressive. There's a footpath along the water at the base of the mansions that overlook Easton Bay/First beach which gives a really good view of some of the houses and their grounds...

IYAC and Newport shipyard are easy to access and both super interesting, shipyard should be plenty busy in June

Herreshoff museum was pretty awesome, you could lose yourself in there for hours

No doubt Franklin Spa for Franklin Sandwich, Portuguese Sailor, Azorean Sandwich, ono.

Mission Burger across from the Quaker Meeting House homemade dogs/burgers.

Pour Judgment burger and beer like 10 bucks.

Scratch for Grilled Cheese like you never seen before.

Roof of what used to be Newport Yachting Center gas dock (now "Bolin" or some such BS) for chill boat parade watching.

Adirondack chairs on Bowen's Wharf for people parade watching.

Mad Hatter iced coffee, lemon bars, cookies.

Wouldn't do the Mansions, Preservation Society destroyed the Breakers lawn. Plenty to see from the Cliff Walk (start at Rejects Beach and walk north to Memorial, stop at Empire Coffee corner of Memorial and Bellevue for after hike munchies).

On 3/29/2019 at 10:25 AM, sailorman44 said:

Day sail on one of the schooners in Newport. If they are sailors they will probably get a chance to take the helm.

Or an Americas Cup 12 meter

Agree. 

We took a daysail on a sloop there (47'er I think).  While boarding I told one of the guys if they needed any help I have plenty of experience.  I ended up at the helm the entire two hours.  Nobody else wanted it and the guys said they loved the break.

If you are sailors, definitely a J22 from Sail newport.

June 8 and 9, the NYYC annual regatta is most likely happening. Ask on here and there is a great chance you can get a solid ride for one or both days. 

Schooners are nice, but not really a sailors sailing experience. 

Plenty of good food and drink to be had throughout town. Many great suggestions have already been made.

If if you are loaded with cash, there are other options available that you can engage in. I have no personal knowledge of these things, but I’m sure they are great. 

Go out to Brenton Point park and, if the breeze is on and you aren’t on the water, fly a kite. 

Just now, frostbit said:

If you are sailors, definitely a J22 from Sail newport.

June 8 and 9, the NYYC annual regatta is most likely happening. Ask on here and there is a great chance you can get a solid ride for one or both days. 

Schooners are nice, but not really a sailors sailing experience. 

Plenty of good food and drink to be had throughout town. Many great suggestions have already been made.

If if you are loaded with cash, there are other options available that you can engage in. I have no personal knowledge of these things, but I’m sure they are great. 

Go out to Brenton Point park and, if the breeze is on and you aren’t on the water, fly a kite. 

If you are sailboat watching, sit on lawn of Castle Hill, drink and watch the NYYC annual regatta come in.  

On 3/30/2019 at 1:57 AM, SailRacer said:

Boom Boom room at the Cooke House

Sail Safe!

Saw what you did there, but indeed if you like a good pub brawl go to Clarke's Cooke House on Bannister's Wharf, invite some ex-Volvo sailors along, and you might get a free bunk at the Police station. The judge might charge you $200 though. 

NYYC Annual Regatta is the following weekend.  NYYC Leukemia Cup is on the Saturday June 8th so perhaps you can dig around here for a ride or at IYAC the night before if you are looking to go racing. 

I'm the Event Chair for the Leukemia Cup Regatta.  It's June 8 (Saturday).  There are two options if you want to participate:  we have a special deal with Sail Newport - we chartered all 13 of their J/22s and if you guys can raise $1000 for the event you get entry fee and charter fee waived.  That's a free J/22 to race OD between Rose and Goat Islands, with a full BBQ and cocktail party under the tent at Harbor Court afterwards.  Other option would be to point you in the right direction to find a ride.  Option A is easier and a major bargain.  Send an email to your friends and get 20 of them to donate $50 to the cause under your team name - everyone has been affected by Leukemia in some way so it's a pretty easy to raise a grand. PM me for details and we'll make it happen.

• Like 1

If you need lodging, I recommend the Chart House Inn. Great location, reasonable pricing, plenty of private off street parking (Newport in summer is a bear for parking) and helpful innkeeper.  I have stayed there four times. http://www.charthouseinn.com/