crc1965

Ocean Signal MOB1 fails to activate

I was testing the ability of my Spinlock Deck Vest to hold air.

I unzipped and manually inflated (because I didn't want to waste a C02 cartridge). During inflation I saw the antenna of my MOB1 pop up (and thought shit what a dumba$$) as I forgot to about its automatic deployment with inflation.   As I quickly went to disarm it I realized it never activated.  

Normally when the grey plastic tab is pulled away, two small magnets on the backside of the tab are also pulled away and the device switches on. (internal magnetic switch I presume)

One of the small magnets that is glued to the backside of the grey plastic tab remained attached to the MOB1 so when the plastic tab was pulled away the device did not activate.  

This sees like an incredibly rare events as the sweeping motion of the plastic tab should have dislodged the magnets anyway.  Perhaps because I inflated manually and it happened very slowly.......

I am posting this to remind people with this device to be aware of how to manually activate it (the tiny red button); which is seen once the grey plastic tab pulls away.  This also should trigger a DSC alarm, which unless you have gone to the added steps of programming in an MMSI number won't happen.  Only an AIS MOB alarm happens automatically.

The device is approximately 3 years old.   The test function is perfectly normal.  It has never been immersed. This MOB I installed myself (not a factory installed one from Spinlock); although I don't think this would play any roll in the malfunction as the plastic tab was pulled away with inflation as it is designed.

IMG_4210.jpeg

IMG_4211.jpeg

• Like 2

I have reported it to ocean signal.   I thought it would be good to share with people likely to be currently using the device.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Wouldn't you be better off reporting this to Ocean Signal?

Yeah what use would it be to share this on the worlds largest sailing forum... 

thanks for the post..I use both Spinlock and the MOB 1..strange I emailed them about battery replacement at "authorized" service center. They said WM, WM said nope. Then directed me to some place in central Calif... I still don't know what my options are in So Cal if I want to replace the battery

On 3/29/2019 at 8:53 PM, crc1965 said:

I have reported it to ocean signal.   I thought it would be good to share with people likely to be currently using the device.

Thank you for that.  

18 hours ago, sumpin said:

thanks for the post..I use both Spinlock and the MOB 1..strange I emailed them about battery replacement at "authorized" service center. They said WM, WM said nope. Then directed me to some place in central Calif... I still don't know what my options are in So Cal if I want to replace the battery

I think you could replace them yourself.  It appears to be two camera type batteries in a stack.   

they "suggest" no...I guess I can take it apart and see. Was hoping someone else had already tried or found a workable solution

A rush to get to market before getting design properly tweaked?

Sounds to me they have known about this issue for for a while and if not recall territory, have not issued any warning notices. That's a bit ordinary. 

Thanks for the information.  This may be what the issue with my device was, and the magnet falling out may have been secondary, as I did not have a clear plastic cap.  I have a plastic cap on my current one (a change from the original).  

On 3/29/2019 at 11:45 PM, Moonduster said:

Wouldn't you be better off reporting this to Ocean Signal?

Wouldn't you be better off not telling people what to do?

Many thanks for this report!

Honestly the next time you might check first not throwing brands up in the air like spinlock deck vest and describe malfunction of a device which isn‘t part of this product.

37 minutes ago, braunle said:

Honestly the next time you might check first not throwing brands up in the air like spinlock deck vest and describe malfunction of a device which isn‘t part of this product.

Seems pretty clear to me

48 minutes ago, braunle said:

My apologies if I caused any confusion.  I thought the subject line made it clear.  I included the information about what PFD I was using as I did not know if that made a difference or not.  If you look into the links provided Virgulino you will see that inflation rates and specific type of PFD may play a role.   I am not intending to disparage Ocean Signal in any way.  I will still continue to use their product, I'm just glad I have a better understanding of how they work; and what their limitations may be.  

Safe sailing!

1 hour ago, crc1965 said:

My apologies if I caused any confusion.  I thought the subject line made it clear.  I included the information about what PFD I was using as I did not know if that made a difference or not.  If you look into the links provided Virgulino you will see that inflation rates and specific type of PFD may play a role.   I am not intending to disparage Ocean Signal in any way.  I will still continue to use their product, I'm just glad I have a better understanding of how they work; and what their limitations may be.  

Safe sailing!

I must confess I shot to quick. Blame on me :-(  I read the post on the SA entry page and the first keyword jumped in my eyes was Spinlock. I own a deck vest by myself and thought about to buy a PFD therefore the post got my attention.

See the post in the forum is different to me. The subject line is clear.