Sign in to follow this  
notallthere

Best days

Just finished a 2 day dinghy regatta in the snipe.  It was in honor of a legendary mate of mine. My 7 yr old daughter  crewed for me. It was so cal windy on day 1 (12+ knts) and we struggled through 3/5 before she got cold and I got exhausted.  Woke up this morning  with a standard man cold and really sore back. Forecast same as yesterday.  I asked if she was game and with a resounding affirmative we set off to the club. Barely made the first start as she lost her life jacket after racing yesterday,  and ocs but bounced back to a 4th. Breeze kept moderate to soft for most of the day and we put up a nice scoreline of top 5s including a nice bullet until the final race when it piped up again. She had an absolute ball. Her enthusiasm was infectious and i ended up with one of my top 5 most enjoyable sailing days ever (which is a big deal as I sail for a living and am fortunate  to have so many epic days on the water) . I am just so amped to have a kid who loves the sport as much as I do. My wife, who is also a fuckin good sailor, and I have tried really hard not to push our girl into this, and dont want her to burn out. But shit is it great when they just get it and love it as much as we do!?!? I'm just a bit sauced and bragging at this point but what the hell, I'm a lucky dude...

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, notallthere said:

Just finished a 2 day dinghy regatta in the snipe.  It was in honor of a legendary mate of mine. My 7 yr old daughter  crewed for me. It was so cal windy on day 1 (12+ knts) and we struggled through 3/5 before she got cold and I got exhausted.  Woke up this morning  with a standard man cold and really sore back. Forecast same as yesterday.  I asked if she was game and with a resounding affirmative we set off to the club. Barely made the first start as she lost her life jacket after racing yesterday,  and ocs but bounced back to a 4th. Breeze kept moderate to soft for most of the day and we put up a nice scoreline of top 5s including a nice bullet until the final race when it piped up again. She had an absolute ball. Her enthusiasm was infectious and i ended up with one of my top 5 most enjoyable sailing days ever (which is a big deal as I sail for a living and am fortunate  to have so many epic days on the water) . I am just so amped to have a kid who loves the sport as much as I do. My wife, who is also a fuckin good sailor, and I have tried really hard not to push our girl into this, and dont want her to burn out. But shit is it great when they just get it and love it as much as we do!?!? I'm just a bit sauced and bragging at this point but what the hell, I'm a lucky dude...

Lucky dad!

1 hour ago, notallthere said:

lucky indeed.

great stuff

• Like 1