Sign in to follow this  
jnye

Topsides Help!

Pulled the tarp of my new-to-me 38 year old Olson 30 and the topsides have been stained by the brown cover. Acetone removes the stain slowly and with lots of elbow grease. Prior owner thinks the finish is Awlgrip. Any recommendations for something easier? Soap and water doesn’t do anything. Thanks

E950C5AA-1BDD-4559-9B0A-641F0439B8D3.jpeg

Hit it with some Chlorox spray cleaner with bleach or your Acetone but don’t try too stressfully hard. 

Boatyard Boss often does wonders as well. 

The  give up for a while. 

Sunlight will probably fade the remainder rapidly. Try sailing every day for a month and get back to us with your results. 

• Like 1

Based on some other threads I've read on SA recently, you need to use medical grade marijuana for that.  

Won't do shit for the stains, but you won't worry about them as much.  Plus it cures seasickness and the marthambles.  

• Like 2

How about MEK? Might try it in a small not visible area to see how the coating reacts.

Mary Kay "On and Off" or most any other stain remover.  I think the main ingredient is along the lines of oxalic acid?  I wouldn't try MEK. It will attack the Awlgrip. 

Listen to Gouverail! 

If so inclined, try the weed too.

I was shocked how well Davis FSR worked. Won a jar at a regatta, decided to give it a shot the other day and it was a true wipe on, rinse off wonder product. Right side is after extensive scrubbing with a wide variety of products, left is after wiping on FSR, waiting a minute, and rinsing off.

IMG_20190407_101018~01.jpg

Mr clean magic erasure sponge, they work amazingly well on lots of fibreglass stains.

3 minutes ago, Ed.M said:

Mr clean magic erasure sponge, they work amazingly well on lots of fibreglass stains.

This is abrasion and not very good for the life of his Awlgrip.

On 4/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, andykane said:

I was shocked how well Davis FSR worked. Won a jar at a regatta, decided to give it a shot the other day and it was a true wipe on, rinse off wonder product. Right side is after extensive scrubbing with a wide variety of products, left is after wiping on FSR, waiting a minute, and rinsing off.

bingo bango bongo

https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/marine/msds/msds790.pdf

its Oxalic acid.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately none worked till I tried Goof-Off graffiti remover. Turned the residue slightly gummy unlike acetone, bleach, MEK, citric or oxalic acids. Still required lots of rubbing and fresh cloths. Kept running water going to minimize damage to the paint. Probably still dulled the finish slightly. Hopefully Awlcare will help.

Been one of the biggest PIA boat projects I've encountered. Won't make that mistake again.