Sail4beer

Things the crew brought on board

Just thinking about the time our crew arrived at the dock and announced that he had brought lunch and whipped out an extra large pizza and a 3 foot submarine sandwich loaded with extra oil and vinegar. 

We sailed and won the day but we were pretty hungry by the time we got back to the dock. The food never made it on boars and he was mad that the seagulls got it all and never sailed with us again. 

Never had to deal with his horrible death breath upwind anymore either 

haha, Many years ago an evening rum race (big triangle course) and the skippers gf brings this big deli spread as she thinks it's a booze cruise for her and her friends (when I went below to grab the spinnaker I was instructed to pass the brie)  and she has everything spread out in the galley.  Uh, ok.  Brie, is that like some cheese or something? (my only slightly sarcastic comment)  So, got the spin up on the 2nd leg in spite of the of festivities and guess what? 3rd leg is a beat, so I get the spin down through the companionway (hey, short handed here) and yep, all the delicacies slide off into it.  

The brie became the debrie and that spin forever after was known as the deli cut spin as the oily mess had some hours to do it's thing.  Some of the details are sketchy as I hadn't thought about this in over 30 years but was pretty funny and the skipper and I laughed the rest of the season. I don't think she or her entourage ever came back.  Good times.

• Like 2

I knew a crew that took laughing gas tank on a Columbus day regatta   

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

One Long Island group had a full size tank in the boat van!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Beats the hell out of bong hits!

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Ahh, industrial whip-its!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Just thinking about the time our crew arrived at the dock and announced that he had brought lunch and whipped out an extra large pizza and a 3 foot submarine sandwich loaded with extra oil and vinegar. 

We sailed and won the day but we were pretty hungry by the time we got back to the dock. The food never made it on boars and he was mad that the seagulls got it all and never sailed with us again. 

Never had to deal with his horrible death breath upwind anymore either 

That reminded me of a Thursday night beer-can race long ago at DIYC in Tampa on Le-gal (the S2-9.1)   The skipper brought a pony keg on board and multiple pizzas for an hour long race.   We ended up with 27 people on board a 30' boat!   Damn lucky it was a breezy night.   One person had to play Traffic Cop to get everyone over from one rail to the other when tacking.  

Hell of a lot of fun!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

You can tell the boat that has the weed. Coughing carries across the water pretty  far...

Had a crew from California once show up with a small backpack for a sunset sail. We were about 20 minutes out when he thought it would be ok to get it out. In it was about every kind of pot smoking device you can imagine, bottled water for his bong and three kinds of pot. It was also the day the marine police tried to board my boat. Luckily I made him put it all away and down below. 

My pitbull Brutus was with us and the police ordered me to put my dog below so he could board. My dog drank some beer and whiskey and was a little drunk. He went ballistic when the police boat drove into us and threw a line on our spring cleat.

I “couldn’t” get his collar to get him below and the cop was so mad that he couldn’t get on board because the dog was just about chewing the cleat off the boat. I untied the line and threw it back to the cop and he sped off. Someone was going to get screwed after that interaction. I gave the dog a beer. We were all happy!

• Like 2

Sailed with a guy who brought shoe trees on a long distance race.  Turned out that those poor trees didn't have the first clue about swimming.  

• Like 4

I always love the people that bring a full offshore kit to go out on a 3hr drift fest in protected waters. Like dude, take the fleece and throw it in the quarter birth and call it a day. 

• Like 2

^^^^^

If you're going around the beer cans and the forecast is 0% chance of rain, I think it's a safe bet to leave your dubarys at home.

Things that crew didn't bring on races?

Passport on the Havana race... That was a fun 3 hours in the customs office

Passed father's (not mine) ashes to spread.  I was cleaning dead guy ashes off and out of the boat for weeks.  That stuff goes everywhere!

• Like 1

25 mile point to point race. Started out as a drifter, 1 hour in 14-20 knots on the nose. Infamous Lake Erie chop. New crew member and supposed experienced racer went below because of the rough ride on the rail. O'K- but when she emerged an hour later with sushi for the crew to eat. Sushi, not exactly the comfort food the crew expects when they are being bounced around on the rail.  No one took her up on her offer. Thankfully.  Pre digested dead fish being projected from the high side is not a very appealing thought.

• Like 2

A full pot of steak chili on the companion way floor one N2E... 

I have a variety of shoes all singles, no pairs a few t-shirt and other sundries that no one seems to know who owns...  

ah the time drifting in heavy fog and chop towards block island and my darling wife serves  oily pad thai for lunch..   didn't stay down long..

the worst was the crew who brought his wife who talked from the minute she stepped on board till she stepped off the boat and who thought she was god's gift to racing..

she showed up 15 minutes before the gun to the boat with the start line at the other end of the lake..  she was "getting" breakfast at the clubhouse..   i have purposely forgotten her name because the memory is too painful.

59 minutes ago, Bowchow said:

^^^^^

If you're going around the beer cans and the forecast is 0% chance of rain, I think it's a safe bet to leave your dubarys at home.

How the hell do you not bring that? Your lucky they let you in

57 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Passed father's (not mine) ashes to spread.  I was cleaning dead guy ashes off and out of the boat for weeks.  That stuff goes everywhere!

And I bet that was not written into his last request: "mix my ashes with spilled beer and trod me underfoot for a couple of weekends before scrubbing me away with a few curse words"

FB- Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Callahan said:

25 mile point to point race. Started out as a drifter, 1 hour in 14-20 knots on the nose. Infamous Lake Erie chop. New crew member and supposed experienced racer went below because of the rough ride on the rail. O'K- but when she emerged an hour later with sushi for the crew to eat. Sushi, not exactly the comfort food the crew expects when they are being bounced around on the rail.  No one took her up on her offer. Thankfully.  Pre digested dead fish being projected from the high side is not a very appealing thought.

A friend of mine with a glass stomach would add to this thread about the asshole who crewed with him on a 60nm day/night Lake Erie race.  This nice crew asked what he could bring and was told something we can munch on.  I like to munch on smoked oysters and as we turned to go upwind in about 20, three of us on the rail directly upwind started in on the oysters.  And the older and wiser crew member noted that since they were smoked oysters, cigars would be a nice accompaniment.  Skipper told one of us to take the helm, tossed his cookies, and got right back on the helm.  

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

No it doesn't!.

Or, I guess it depends on what your goals are. If they are to get completely debilitated and rendered useless in a maneuver, sure, bring on the nitrous.

13 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:
3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

No it doesn't!.

Or, I guess it depends on what your goals are. If they are to get completely debilitated and rendered useless in a maneuver, sure, bring on the nitrous.

You sail with Deadheads, or rastamen, much? I used to. It's a wonder I survived, although some say "rendered useless" would be a good summation of my skillz.....

FB- Doug

• Like 1

On a 1,300 mile race, one crew thought he needed to bring his private supply of aquifer spring water. Gallons of it. Hidden in his ridiculously large seabag. We didn't discover this heavy weirdness until the race was almost over. He explained that it was his health choice. At least it was a Swan 62 so we already had a furniture showroom down below.

Did an Ensenada Race on a Mumm 30 where the female owner brought filet mignon, baked potatoes, and fresh-tossed ceasar salad for supper. Perfectly prepared on the Magnum BBQ clamped to the stern rail. And for breakfast, fresh-made breakfast burritos with bacon and everything. No complaints on that one.

a plate of cup cakes which ended up icing side down on the cabin sole

3 medium pizzas which slid off lazarettes, the nav station & galley

a plate of shrimp, all neatly arranged in a circular display, including that red sauce. she tried holding it level & unbumped through tacks. nope!

• Like 1

We did not bring them on the boat but we use to hide bananas in the sail cover on the competitions boat.  

Smoked salmon in the ice box, but not perfectly sealed.  Swished the beer cans with melted ice and then drained into the bilge.

• Like 1

My wife once made fried chicken, in my moms kitchen for a overnight distance race. Just before sunset up comes the chicken and with the first bite my crew went, pewthooo and spit his mouth full overboard. My wife mistook a container filled with baking soda for flour...we still laugh about that

If we are talking about food tragedies.. Middle of mac race 1990 ish, off pt betsy,  reaching chute up, clipping along nicely after about 2 days of calm,  Biscuits and gravy come out and wouldn't ya know it a frigging squall roles through.  Everyone puts bowls down on lazarets and jump to dump the chute and get the genny up.  I end up on the pulpit, pop the chute and the spin pole clocks me in the forehead.  1 360 around forestay later I am heading back to the cockpit, head hanging over side so blood won't get anywhere on boat or sails.  Genius emt on board insists I get head inboard before he gives me towel to cover forehead now gushing.  The site of biscuits and gravy mixed with blood from a head wound sloshing around the cockpit is a sight straight out of a horror movie...  :)   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

Smoked salmon in the ice box, but not perfectly sealed.  Swished the beer cans with melted ice and then drained into the bilge.

That's nasty

It was late last summer and the twins and I were out for our usual Friday afternoon "sail" on the commodores yacht. They brought two of their friends from the soccer team at the all girl the college they attend. It was a hot sweltering day and all four of they were wearing the tiniest bikinis I have ever seen. After consuming a bunch of cherry fizz coolers the two girls indicated they had just broken up with their boyfriends and proclaimed they were done with men. They sure showed it by how friendly they got with each other when all of a sudden one of them  pulled out the bag they had brought on boar........... oh wait EAZE is at the door, gotta go, later

• Like 2

We had a girl bring her whole makeup kit and cry when we said no 

• Like 1

Blood?

Went out sailing last week for the first time with a new skipper and he invited some dong bag along for the ride.  The guy kept cutting himself and bleeding all over the fucking place.  Shockingly enough, no one else was having a problem.  He also spilled his coffee and his beer all over the cockpit and later tried to use beer to clean up the blood.  End of the day the guy just stands on the dock and watches the skipper clean the cockpit with a hose and a brush and later remarked to me "He seemed mad.  If he had just asked me I would have cleaned the cockpit."  I quickly replied with "he shouldn't have had to ask you, you should have just done it."

Dickheads, they're everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Blood?

Went out sailing last week for the first time with a new skipper and he invited some dong bag along for the ride.  The guy kept cutting himself and bleeding all over the fucking place.  Shockingly enough, no one else was having a problem.  He also spilled his coffee and his beer all over the cockpit and later tried to use beer to clean up the blood.  End of the day the guy just stands on the dock and watches the skipper clean the cockpit with a hose and a brush and later remarked to me "He seemed mad.  If he had just asked me I would have cleaned the cockpit."  I quickly replied with "he shouldn't have had to ask you, you should have just done it."

Dickheads, they're everywhere.

Instead of being annoyed you might have given him some guidance throughout the day and probably made him feel welcome.

• Like 2

Not food I had a guy on the Mac race, after I told him pack light, get on board with a big ass back pack of hard cover books. Baudelaire and Dostoevsky what a fucking asshole. Did not realise it until we were in Straits and he sitting the cockpit reading when he should have been flying the kite. Did I say he was an asshole?     

A ride I didn't take...A Cal 40 to Hawaii, back when they were considered the top dogs.  Newby owner plopped down a lot of cash for all new sails and strings and then proceeded to pimp out his boat with shag carpet (avocado) and other such amenities such as thick cushions, a big ass gimbaled teak table with lead counterweight, refrigeration and full-sized stove/oven.  I took one look at the pimpage and l decided to find a different ride.

Report from a friend on board:  Two days out, the owner dropped and shattered a half gallon glass jug of cooking oil onto the shag carpet trying to make hashbrowns at a 20° heel.  The rest of the race people had to wear shoes down below to avoid slicing their feet and go barefoot on deck because their shoes were coated with oil.  

Five days out they were starting to get nicely into the trades and the boat just wasn't getting any good rides.  Felt odd. Then somebody discovered that the owner had completely packed the forepeak under the bunk and the lazarette with camping gear, suitcases, canvas tent, favorite canned goods and bottles of scotch and wine, pots and pans, a hairdryer, etc.  He was planning to meet his girlfriend and go cruising and hiking among the islands and wanted to avoid shipping anything.  My friend guessed he'd packed about a 1,000 pounds of crap onto the boat.  Dead last in class.

My ride turned out better.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bowchow said:

^^^^^

wtf? of all the shit to forget, of all the countries to go to... oof. 

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

If we are talking about food tragedies.. Middle of mac race 1990 ish, off pt betsy,  reaching chute up, clipping along nicely after about 2 days of calm,  Biscuits and gravy come out and wouldn't ya know it a frigging squall roles through.  Everyone puts bowls down on lazarets and jump to dump the chute and get the genny up.  I end up on the pulpit, pop the chute and the spin pole clocks me in the forehead.  1 360 around forestay later I am heading back to the cockpit, head hanging over side so blood won't get anywhere on boat or sails.  Genius emt on board insists I get head inboard before he gives me towel to cover forehead now gushing.  The site of biscuits and gravy mixed with blood from a head wound sloshing around the cockpit is a sight straight out of a horror movie...  :)   

how did the biscuits and gravy and blood taste? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Did an Ensenada Race on a Mumm 30 where the female owner brought filet mignon, baked potatoes, and fresh-tossed ceasar salad for supper. Perfectly prepared on the Magnum BBQ clamped to the stern rail. And for breakfast, fresh-made breakfast burritos with bacon and everything. No complaints on that one.

meanwhile the last four or five overnight races i've done were all freeze dried. Some of the races were on the hobie 33, but the rest were on a damn XP44. Like, big boat, big boat food - right? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bridhb said:

And a cadaver dog would have a field day sniffing that boat out!

• Like 1

Crew brought me on board once. Been stuck with that curse ever since.

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

meanwhile the last four or five overnight races i've done were all freeze dried. Some of the races were on the hobie 33, but the rest were on a damn XP44. Like, big boat, big boat food - right? 

haaaaaaaa.....cheap bastards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Student_Driver said:

Bananas. 

Same.

I went to grab a bottle of water below. Saw a bunch of bananas and instinctively threw them overboard. 

The guy who brought them was pretty surprised as it was his Dad's boat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

wtf? of all the shit to forget, of all the countries to go to... oof. 

Getting in was no problem. Cute customs girl, etc. Getting out...not so easy. I'm really not sure what happened as I don't speak much Spanish.. eventually they let us go.

Good thing - His passport was safe in the van right where he left it when we got back to the dock :)

We once had an occasional crew member sailing with us on our Elliott 10m winged SPORTSCAR back in the late '90s  through to the early 2000s who was the Executive Chef at the Grand Hyatt Hotel here in Melbourne Aus.

We have a major local 35 mile down the Bay race every year on the day after Christmas,. Roger turned up on the morning of the start with a huge box of Grand Hyatt Christmas Lunch left-overs, a quality and quantity of sustenance the likes of which had never been remotely approached on our boat  and probably very few other boats before.                          Apparently, the Grand Hyatt guests had paid $250 a head for their Christmas Lunch while we got to eat the same magnificent gourmet food less than 24 hrs later for free. Similar contributions of fine fare continued occasionally for as long as he sailed with us until he was posted to another hotel in the chain somewhere in the middle east. We miss him still!

In keeping with many leading chefs, Roger was a jovial lad of sizable proportion and he was ideal rail meat. He wasn't , by his own admission, much of a sailor but needless to say, he was always welcome!

11 minutes ago, il1395 said:

Battery powered Christmas lights for a 120nm distance race! WTF???

?? R U complaining? That sounds like fun! Goes well with bong hits!

I had a crewman once bring 3 or 4 Halloween-size bags of candy, on a Lightning. He didn't like it when I starter handing it out to the other crew after good maneuvers, so I started tossing them to neighboring boats. We ate the last of it on the way in.

Fuckers need to learn to share.

Atermath: Mrs Steam (who was an awesome Lightning spinnaker crew in those days) came to the next regatta with me and couldn't figure out why all the boats she normally thought of as assholes kept sailing near us and holding their hands out saying "Please!"

-DSK

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Callahan said:

But it makes the dolphins really, really happy!

- Stumbling

5 hours ago, lemonpepper said:

A crew once brought my ex wife! It wasn't my boat so they had no idea I was also crewing so I cut them a break. Not the most fun race. 

Ouch. I feel bad for you. You know, technically, you were fully entitled to give her the banana treatment. Some might have dismissed the procedure as being a bit old school, obviously.

Joined a boat as a youth and got told about how the previous bowman used to enjoy a snack whilst down below repacking the kite. Apparently one time he dropped said snack (a pork pie) mid-pack and couldn't relocate it. It was found about 20 minutes later when it was seen heading skywards as they rounded the windward mark and set the kite......

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bridhb said:

first rule of doing an ashes ceremony at sea is NOTHING is brought on deck until the boat is headed downwind.

The master of ceremonies takes the vessel/container to the bow.

And leave the twist wire on the bag inside the vessel you are putting into the sea.  Use a heavy container if you are unsure it will sink.

Fail to follow these common sense hints and everyone gets powdered by/with their old buddy...  Ewhhhhhhh!

Just now, ROADKILL666 said:

That cheap dick

Is there no shame?

@Foreverslow,  thanks for the tips, we have my fatherinlaw in a drawer in the front hall, waiting for spring.  Yes really.

Had crew bring a bucket of KFC, then get greasy fingers all over everything. Seagulls like it. And a full drysuit, on a 30ft race/cruiser on a sunny day with 6k of breeze.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

We once had an occasional crew member sailing with us on our Elliott 10m winged SPORTSCAR back in the late '90s  through to the early 2000s who was the Executive Chef at the Grand Hyatt Hotel here in Melbourne Aus.

We have a major local 35 mile down the Bay race every year on the day after Christmas,. Roger turned up on the morning of the start with a huge box of Grand Hyatt Christmas Lunch left-overs, a quality and quantity of sustenance the likes of which had never been remotely approached on our boat  and probably very few other boats before.                          Apparently, the Grand Hyatt guests had paid $250 a head for their Christmas Lunch while we got to eat the same magnificent gourmet food less than 24 hrs later for free. Similar contributions of fine fare continued occasionally for as long as he sailed with us until he was posted to another hotel in the chain somewhere in the middle east. We miss him still!

In keeping with many leading chefs, Roger was a jovial lad of sizable proportion and he was ideal rail meat. He wasn't , by his own admission, much of a sailor but needless to say, he was always welcome!

When Missus BB was working on the Frostbite RC, she would often bring muffins, cookies and other treats from work to share with the other volunteers.  They are all saddened that she has not been able to participate this season, but will hopefully be back on deck soon....

• Like 1

I sometimes bring stuff even if we all try to pack light and empty the boat of all we are allowed to. 

But never EVER has anybody gotten mad at me when it turns out that what I brought is cake, cookies or muffins. Or a bottle of rhum. 

At a race in Sweden, the organizing yacht club offered lunch packs, and since we were on an island it seemed like a good idea to buy that, instead of searching for a shop. Bought in a hurry, surprise when the packs were opened: it was salad. In heavy winds, the salad blew away in seconds. It was like nobody from that yacht club ever had been on a boat. 

13 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

I sometimes bring stuff even if we all try to pack light and empty the boat of all we are allowed to. 

But never EVER has anybody gotten mad at me when it turns out that what I brought is cake, cookies or muffins. Or a bottle of rhum. 

At a race in Sweden, the organizing yacht club offered lunch packs, and since we were on an island it seemed like a good idea to buy that, instead of searching for a shop. Bought in a hurry, surprise when the packs were opened: it was salad. In heavy winds, the salad blew away in seconds. It was like nobody from that yacht club ever had been on a boat. 

Rum is a necessity just ask well everyone and cookies you would be left at the dock if you did not bring any 

3 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:
17 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Rum is a necessity just ask well everyone and cookies you would be left at the dock if you did not bring any 

For some winter series races a while back, Mrs Steam made rum cake in the form of little sweet buns. 2 treats in 1.... max efficiency! And they warmed you right up, too.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

For some winter series races a while back, Mrs Steam made rum cake in the form of little sweet buns. 2 treats in 1.... max efficiency! And they warmed you right up, too.

FB- Doug

Hell yeah

8 hours ago, fucket said:

A whole watermelon.

Cotton candy wasn't available?

1 hour ago, crankcall said:

@Foreverslow,  thanks for the tips, we have my fatherinlaw in a drawer in the front hall, waiting for spring.  Yes really.

Had crew bring a bucket of KFC, then get greasy fingers all over everything. Seagulls like it. And a full drysuit, on a 30ft race/cruiser on a sunny day with 6k of breeze.

LOL.  I brought fried chicken once.  Crew had no problem, we noshed before the race, rinsed hands in the water, all good!  Skipper on the other hand... didn't eat until after the two hour, two mile evening can race (total drifter) finished up.  He was hungry as hell, ate too fast while we de-rigged and he steered and chugged a beer.   Dropped bits of KFC breading all around himself.  Those grease spots were in the gelcoat all over the back half of the cockpit until he re-finished the deck this year. 

OTOH... on my boat, we have a crew member who is a little intense.  She's great but I'm going to nickname her Extra, because she's so goddamn extra.  She always brings a fresh bottle of top shelf rum and inflicts it on everybody, because what sailor doesn't like rum?  She showed up with three bottles for a weekend regatta and we had a drifter the first day, and she broke that out.  We only got in one race, late in the day, and we were very relaxed and mistake free.  And slower than molasses in January on a dirt road in Maine.   Good rum goes down a little too easily when you have nothing to do except re-pack the chutes and take a nap.  

I make her keep that shit in the bag until after the race now. 

Every time I see someone bring a duffle bag onto the boat for a fucking buoy race it really grinds my gears. 

Emergency Pre Race Beers help lighten the boat.

When bringing beer, Aluminum cans are 17% lighter than glass bottles, and can't fucking shatter.

13 hours ago, lemonpepper said:

A crew once brought my ex wife! It wasn't my boat so they had no idea I was also crewing so I cut them a break. Not the most fun race. 

Brought the twins for a beer can race on gramps 52 and all the old fucks on his boat forgot how to race and for some reason none of them wanted to stand up so they just  just sat around with stoopid grins  on their faces. 

Flipping this a bit.  Its what I was asked to bring. 

Was scheduled to crew aboard a Morgan 27 in a W/L MORCy race.   Get  a call that morning...bring yer lunch.  Huh?  So I am 12 or 13 years old and a bit surprised, and was taught to  follow-through on my commitments.  So I bring my own lunch. 

Turns out its just me, myself and I packing, setting and tacking all F'n day for this douche. 

As a kid sailing with a friend and his dad on a J24, 40 some mile point to point race and all we had was a case of coke and a big bag of tootsie rolls.

As a teen, my friend and I smuggled 2 litre bottles of wine coolers (think late 80's) onto a J24 (different boat) on a 50 mile race across state lines. Ironically, the skipper worked for the state liquor control board. He was never the wiser.

Again, as a kid, we would routinely smuggle skateboards on point to point races so we had something to do when we got there. 

Oh, and we snuck fireworks onto the boat going to Canada and lit them up that night.

1 hour ago, trimfast said:

Every time I see someone bring a duffle bag onto the boat for a fucking buoy race it really grinds my gears. 

When bringing beer, Aluminum cans are 17% lighter than glass bottles, and can't fucking shatter.

So 12 pack beer is ok but a duffle bag is not? If that's how you run your boat, no thank you

1 hour ago, trimfast said:

Is it a violation of rule 69 if I walk up and down the docks with my mini duffel full of street clothes before the next evening beer cans?

Pills. A fuckload of pills.

Governor's Cup (90 mile overnight race) on the Chesapeake Bay. I'm crewing on my early mentor's boat. He takes on the daughter of one of our competitors as crew, as a favor because she wanted to race.

About 30 minutes after the start when everything was fairly settled, she pops up on deck with an enormous "pill organizer." The kind that geriatrics on 10 different meds use. She selected what looked like a wide assortment of "candy" and washed it down. 15 minutes later, she announced that she was going below for a nap since we'd be on the same tack for a long time.

Some 15 hours later,  just 30 minutes before we crossed the finish line, she popped up through the hatch, looking refreshed and took her place on the rail.

2 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

LOL.  I brought fried chicken once.  Crew had no problem, we noshed before the race, rinsed hands in the water, all good!  Skipper on the other hand... didn't eat until after the two hour, two mile evening can race (total drifter) finished up.  He was hungry as hell, ate too fast while we de-rigged and he steered and chugged a beer.   Dropped bits of KFC breading all around himself.  Those grease spots were in the gelcoat all over the back half of the cockpit until he re-finished the deck this year. 

OTOH... on my boat, we have a crew member who is a little intense.  She's great but I'm going to nickname her Extra, because she's so goddamn extra.  She always brings a fresh bottle of top shelf rum and inflicts it on everybody, because what sailor doesn't like rum?  She showed up with three bottles for a weekend regatta and we had a drifter the first day, and she broke that out.  We only got in one race, late in the day, and we were very relaxed and mistake free.  And slower than molasses in January on a dirt road in Maine.   Good rum goes down a little too easily when you have nothing to do except re-pack the chutes and take a nap.  

Oooh, looking forward to this season!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

bits of KFC breading all around himself.  Those grease spots were in the gelcoat all over the back half of the cockpit until he re-finished the deck this year. 

Anna?

15 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

hey whatever happened to Sportscar anyway?

1 hour ago, RATM said:

So 12 pack beer is ok but a duffle bag is not? If that's how you run your boat, no thank you

Well if you don't like beer that's your prerogative. 

48 minutes ago, apophenia said:

Is it a violation of rule 69 if I walk up and down the docks with my mini duffel full of street clothes before the next evening beer cans?

mini duffle with a set of clothes is fine. What I am talking about is the duffle the size of a week trip. 

A big bag of cheesy popcorn. ‘Nuf said.

Sort of on topic...started sailing in the late 50s to Catalina Island on family doc and friend Dr. Thad Jones' (of TransPac navigator fame) boat "sanguine" Island Clipper 44.  Dr. Thad used a "Lucky Bag" on board.  Any of us kids crap that was lying around and not secured was put in the "Lucky Bag".   For every item that was pulled out of the bag at every morning role call, you had to swim a lap around the boat.  These were fall and early spring trips to Cat, water was cold and in those days shark infested (or so we thought).  A lesson learned that followed me into later life crewing and running my own boats.  Tried it on a TransPac once, but too much time lost swimming the laps in the trades.

5 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I forgot we did bring a blow up doll one race (rail meat)

Well OK i guess

71x6TZRh3tL._SY679_.jpg

9 minutes ago, VWAP said:

Well OK i guess

71x6TZRh3tL._SY679_.jpg

Wrong ?!?! Is this from your private collection 

Just now, ROADKILL666 said:

no

4 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I think that is VWAP's doppleganger..... Just sayin'

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Recipe please....

27 minutes ago, Veeger said:
6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Recipe please.... 

The following should do it, except that you pour the batter into several muffin tins instead of a big cake pan; 

1 or 2 quarts rum
1 cup butter
1 Tsp sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup dried fruit
baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
lemon juice
brown sugar
nuts

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality. Good, isn't it?

Now select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check the rum again. It must be just right. To be sure the rum is of highest quality, pour one level cup of rum into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat if you feel like it.

With an electric mixer beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add 1 seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure that the rum is of finest quality. Try another cup. Open second quart if necessary.

Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat till high. If druit gets stuck in the beaters¸just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum again, checking it for tonscisticity.

Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it doesn’t really matter). Sample the rum again. Sift ½ pint of lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add 1 bablespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you an find. Wix mel. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gedees. Now mour the whole pess into the coven and ake. Check the rum again, and bo to ged.

• Like 6