Sign in to follow this  
262 Driver

Pearson 26 Hull #1 on Ebay for $10 with one day left. Boston.

If you look at the fine print there is also a $300 "document handling fee" charged by the group selling the boat.  

• Like 1

But do you really want a Pearson 26 project?

• Like 1

2,500 lbs of lead in the keel, Anderson ST winches, decent looking hardware and a bunch of sails. If I were local I'd part it out for sure

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kwf937 said:

Found my next boat!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AmericanVagrant said:

2,500 lbs of lead in the keel, Anderson ST winches, decent looking hardware and a bunch of sails. If I were local I'd part it out for sure

The keel on the Pearson 26 is iron. It looks pretty nice for a 50 year old boat and hull number 1 would be pretty cool for someone who wants a project.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, kwf937 said:

Hell no.It would make a great artificial reef 

That boat was legend on Narragansett Bay.  Charlie Larue, one of the best sailors the Bay has ever seen (he won in every class boat he sailed over his ~60  year racing career, with that boat he dominated MORC and PHRF in the 60-80's), sailed out of Tiverton, he cleaned up for years with it, and lived on it for a while after his wife dumped him (the Jenna that's on the life ring).  Not sure if this boat means much to anyone other than those who viewed it's transom but it would be a cool boat to own.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

Found my next boat!

Jj dont you dare 

• Like 1

Not much risk at this price. If it comes to the worst and the boat is unrepairable for an acceptable amount of money, you can rip off the winches, the traveller plus a few things, dispose it and be alright...

18 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Not much risk at this price. If it comes to the worst and the boat is unrepairable for an acceptable amount of money, you can rip off the winches, the traveller plus a few things, dispose it and be alright...

All fine and easy until you get to this part. 

6 minutes ago, WhoaTed said:

All fine and easy until you get to this part. 

Is it tricky to dispose of a boat in the USA?

There is a recycling scheme in France paid for by the big builders but TBH it is recent.

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

There is a recycling scheme in France paid for by the big builders but TBH it is recent.

We could do with that in the UK. 

The yards are littered with 4KSBs that no one wants. 

Just now, MiddayGun said:
1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

We could do with that in the UK. 

The yards are littered with 4KSBs that no one wants. 

It's just ramping up over here. In my part of the US, we have a lot of hurricane-ruined boats that are not going to be economical to repair EXCEPT by an enthusiastic person who does not value their time, and does not realize (or believe when some well-meaning person tells them) the final cost will be 110% of what they could have bought a working boat for. We also have a lot of cheap real estate, so for now, they're just piling up.

The derelict fleet is being used right now to help solve the cheap housing problem, a lot of people are living on decrepit boats along any stretch of waterfront that allows them. This problem is slowly getting worse too.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

Take off the Hull # 1 plaque ....and then price it...the "keel may not be plumb"....LOL...LOL....repairing that alone is more than the boat is worth

18 hours ago, kwf937 said:

Someone just buy it so this madness will end please.Make it a reef or lawn art jut buy it dammit 

12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's just ramping up over here. In my part of the US, we have a lot of hurricane-ruined boats that are not going to be economical to repair EXCEPT by an enthusiastic person who does not value their time, and does not realize (or believe when some well-meaning person tells them) the final cost will be 110% of what they could have bought a working boat for. We also have a lot of cheap real estate, so for now, they're just piling up.

The derelict fleet is being used right now to help solve the cheap housing problem, a lot of people are living on decrepit boats along any stretch of waterfront that allows them. This problem is slowly getting worse too.

FB- Doug

Canada just took the first small steps of dealing with the problem. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abandoned-boats-law-bc-boaters-1.5041990

The problem, of course, is that the poor souls living on derelicts have zero resources to deal with them responsibly, and certainly no money to pay a fine when their boat blows ashore in a storm.

2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
17 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

...    ...    ... The derelict fleet is being used right now to help solve the cheap housing problem....    ...    ...

Canada just took the first small steps of dealing with the problem. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/abandoned-boats-law-bc-boaters-1.5041990

The problem, of course, is that the poor souls living on derelicts have zero resources to deal with them responsibly, and certainly no money to pay a fine when their boat blows ashore in a storm.

I have sympathy for the people who live this way, but not so much that I want them messing up the shoreline for everybody else. That includes pooping in our water

FB- Doug

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

I have sympathy for the people who live this way, but not so much that I want them messing up the shoreline for everybody else. That includes pooping in our water

FB- Doug

What town are you near in NC

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

FB- Doug

Quite a few were recently evicted from The Gorge (a waterway that divides Victoria) because of said unsanitary behaviour. Volunteers spent a long time cleaning up the waterway so it was swimmable, then the lowlifes moved in and made it a stinking sewer again. Now the city took some action and they have been dispersed to three or four other local locations where they continue to poop en masse. You can tell where they are by the petty crime statistics that follow them around.

2 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Is it tricky to dispose of a boat in the USA?

Not where I'm at which is 60 miles south of Boston. $500 for a dumpster would take care of it once the keel is removed. 

6 hours ago, Sal Minella said:

That boat was legend on Narragansett Bay.  Charlie Larue, one of the best sailors the Bay has ever seen (he won in every class boat he sailed over his ~60  year racing career, with that boat he dominated MORC and PHRF in the 60-80's), sailed out of Tiverton, he cleaned up for years with it, and lived on it for a while after his wife dumped him (the Jenna that's on the life ring).  Not sure if this boat means much to anyone other than those who viewed it's transom but it would be a cool boat to own.

With multiple bloopers and spinnakers as part of the rather large sail inventory, I figured someone probably raced her back in the day. I certainly hope she keeps sailing.

Paging @Gouvernail

A bit far from Texas but if my memory is correct you've done a great job with building a Pearson 26 fleet.

At least it's not this POS. never mind I will just tell you santa cruz 37

6 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Paging @Gouvernail

A bit far from Texas but if my memory is correct you've done a great job with building a Pearson 26 fleet.

You must say the name THREE times in rapid succession for Beetlejuice *ahem*, I mean Gouvenator to appear.

47 minutes ago, Alan Crawford said:

Paging @Gouvernail

Sorry to be out of the loop; is there really a fleet in Texas?

2 minutes ago, 262 Driver said:

Sorry to be out of the loop; is there really a fleet in Texas?

@262 Driver On a lake in Austin. I was going to buy a nice 26 from there until I saw the price. Nice group of folks, though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

What town are you near in NC

Town? Ha! B)

Sorry, didn't see this yesterday. We're on the Neuse River a ways up, closest to New Bern which is actually a very nice place

FB- Doug

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Town? Ha! B)

Sorry, didn't see this yesterday. We're on the Neuse River a ways up, closest to New Bern which is actually a very nice place

FB- Doug

Yeah..New Bern is why I asked...10  years ago I was at Hatteras installing a teak toe rail. We spent 10 days at the Hampton Inn just going back and forth each day. The job was signed off about 10 in the morning and our flight out was early evening. We drove into the town of New Bern and I was blown away with the beautiful  little town  and went back on a vacation in the surrounding area that fall.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sal Minella said:

Never name boats after wives or girlfriends.   Mothers and or daughters only!

She is re-listed. I went to see the boat and she is surprisingly good! The bilges were clean. The new Quantum 150 is crispy. The interior is neat and clean. The cushions were re-done in Sunbrella not too long ago. Each of the teak drawers inside is nicely varnished and the contents of each is organized with useful items like a Loos gauge, flares and a fire extinguisher both of which may actually still be current! Keel bolt heads had surface rust but were solid beneath that. The terminations of the shrouds, forestay and head stay did not have rust or cracks and overall the rig looked quite good. The windows leak, but she has tarps on her to keep the rain out. The new add has been updated to reflect all of this and include pics of the Genoa. All in all it seems pretty legit. Somebody really liked this boat.

As it turns out, I just don't need another boat right now. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Pearson-26-Racing-Sailboat-Hull-1-14-Sails-included-Massachusetts/362624329420?hash=item546e1826cc:g:07IAAOSwivlcuJbv

On another, unrelated note, I spotted a nice Ranger 37 on the next dock over! With a couple of notable exceptions, I never seem to see these except when they are total basket cases.

• Like 1

5 hours left on this auction. No bids. I think they shot themselves in the foot by re-listing with a starting point of $1000 plus the $300 fee. The user would have to spend another $1000 or so on a good used outboard as well.

They are great boats, but sadly, the selling price for old Pearsons, even nice ones with good gear is low. In New England, the 26s seem to be everywhere. 

I'm a sucker for the green gel coat and would like to see a boat that did so well racing in the past live on. I hope someone buys it to sail and not scrap. While she has nice gear on deck, the keel being iron rather than lead may ward off would be boat vultures.  

15 minutes ago, 262 Driver said:

5 hours left on this auction. No bids. I think they shot themselves in the foot by re-listing with a starting point of $1000 plus the $300 fee. The user would have to spend another $1000 or so on a good used outboard as well.

They are great boats, but sadly, the selling price for old Pearsons, even nice ones with good gear is low. In New England, the 26s seem to be everywhere. 

I'm a sucker for the green gel coat and would like to see a boat that did so well racing in the past live on. I hope someone buys it to sail and not scrap. While she has nice gear on deck, the keel being iron rather than lead may ward off would be boat vultures.  

sadly, sometimes free is too much...

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 12:10 PM, Ishmael said:

Quite a few were recently evicted from The Gorge (a waterway that divides Victoria) because of said unsanitary behaviour. Volunteers spent a long time cleaning up the waterway so it was swimmable, then the lowlifes moved in and made it a stinking sewer again. Now the city took some action and they have been dispersed to three or four other local locations where they continue to poop en masse. You can tell where they are by the petty crime statistics that follow them around.

DO AS WE SAY, NOT AS WE DO, HUH? :D

Victoria has been dumping sewage into the Strait of Juan De Fuca for many decades.

https://q13fox.com/2018/07/24/plan-on-track-to-stop-victorias-pumping-of-sewage-into-strait-of-juan-de-fuca/

Not at all the same thing - the city outfall is hundreds of feet deep and well offshore and there are heavy tidal currents moving it out to sea.

The whole Victoria sewage thing is purely an image problem - it you look at the facts for more than one minute you will realize it it not any sort of pollution problem.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Not at all the same thing - the city outfall is hundreds of feet deep and well offshore and there are heavy tidal currents moving it out to sea.

The whole Victoria sewage thing is purely an image problem - it you look at the facts for more than one minute you will realize it it not any sort of pollution problem.

What he said. If you're seeing brown trout, it's sewage backup and outfall from Pungent Sound.

On 4/25/2019 at 11:53 AM, 262 Driver said:

They are great boats, but sadly, the selling price for old Pearsons, even nice ones with good gear is low. 

What are you people smoking ? 

That boat totally belongs in a museum !! (where it gets sailed) 

• Like 1

My buddy who's new into sailing just bought the boat on its 3rd relisting. It might not be a perfect boat but itll be a great first sailboat for a beginner fresh out of boat building college in Maine!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 9:41 PM, kwf937 said:

My buddy who's new into sailing just bought the boat on its 3rd relisting. It might not be a perfect boat but itll be a great first sailboat for a beginner fresh out of boat building college in Maine!

This is great news!! I was afraid she would be scrapped.