Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Jeopardy Bad Ass

Smart, well rounded and has a very quick trigger finger. His smile makes him look smug though. I hate his guts.

Saw that last night.  Wow. 

Watch out Ken Jennings!

46 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Smart, well rounded and has a very quick trigger finger. His smile makes him look smug though. I hate his guts.

He does have an odd smile.......veneers, caps or worse on the teeth....doesn't help.

3 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

He is a high roller. Big bets on daily doubles every time. One smart SOB.

Yep all in almost every time. Of course you gotta have enough shit in your seabag to back that up with right answers. He goes straight across the biggest dollar questions to start each time as well. Once again....he gets them right.

I tried out for Jeopardy back in the early 90s at the studio in Culver City. There were about 200 of us sitting in an auditorium. The hostess made fun of us at first, laughing about how we think we're pretty good shouting answers across the dinner table at the TV, but it's a little more distracting under the lights, in front of the audience and with all the crew constantly moving around off camera. Plus stage fright, which I suffer badly from.

The test was 40 $2000 (I think, the max might have been $1000 questions back then) questions and  you had to write your answers down. They didn't give you much time, so the urgency factor was cranked up. You had to score 90%, which meant 4 wrong max. After the test we self scored our exams and those that passed stayed while the rest of us went on home with our tails between our legs.

I always thought I was pretty good. I'm not.

People tell me I'd be good at Jeopardy.

I tell them that, no, I wouldn't.

I have this problem of considering my answer before I respond, which would make me slow on the trigger/button.

No doubt, I'm a couch Jeopardy whiz, but in real life, I'd never make the cut.

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

I tried out for Jeopardy back in the early 90s at the studio in Culver City. There were about 200 of us sitting in an auditorium. The hostess made fun of us at first, laughing about how we think we're pretty good shouting answers across the dinner table at the TV, but it's a little more distracting under the lights, in front of the audience and with all the crew constantly moving around off camera. Plus stage fright, which I suffer badly from.

The test was 40 $2000 (I think, the max might have been $1000 questions back then) questions and  you had to write your answers down. They didn't give you much time, so the urgency factor was cranked up. You had to score 90%, which meant 4 wrong max. After the test we self scored our exams and those that passed stayed while the rest of us went on home with our tails between our legs.

I always thought I was pretty good. I'm not.

I think a lot depends on the categories you wind up with........some days I'm awesome....some days not so much.......then there's guys like this latest fella who is great every day and every category. Then you see some folks be great just one day and tank the next.....then other folks you know must have passed the screening that just sit there and rack up a massive $1000 overall........yet you know they were good enough to get on the show. I think the categories make a huge difference for most contestants.

BTW - interesting story on the try out. I always wondered how that went..................me.........like Left8 - I'm a Jeopardy couch whiz............

You can try out online  periodically now, which I tried again a few years back. Even more difficult if you aren't a fast typist. 

Incidentally, the next online test is in 15 hours. How about it SAers. Any genii out there?  

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j

I never played on Jeopardy I slept in a Holiday Inn once. 

Sorry couldn't resist. 

The guy pulled it off again tonight..... Not such an impressive show, and he got final wrong, but he did what he needed to make it a runaway, and so it goes.....

I just checked this out yesterday and today....holey fuck, this guy is incredible! 

Just did 106000...had 66,000 in the bank and wagered 40000 on final jeopardy.  566000 in 9 days:o

• Like 1

Today he ran out of people to say happy birthday to.  He's toast tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Willin' said:

Today he ran out of people to say happy birthday to.  He's toast tomorrow.

I say he is good for another 6 shows. Or once they start asking some serious questions.

4 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I say he is good for another 6 shows. Or once they start asking some serious questions.

True, the last few weeks have seemed extraordinarily easy to me, but that's just me shouting back at the TV, not me on stage in front of the world.

I dunno..... A lot of the double category seemed easy to me, and the final was a "Duh!", But he already had it in the bag by then.

$771K in 11 wins. The young woman in the middle looked really pissed.........

Over a million now.

Over a million in 14 shows.  Essential that’s $142,000 per hour

sheesh. I’d be happy to make 142 bucks per hour before taxes.  

Grudging respect. I admit he's fast on the trigger and has a lot of answers, but there's something about his method that makes me think there's a betting algorithm involved and I wish we could see him being swept for ear buds or other external inputs before the show.

I still hate his smug guts, but, dayyum, he good!

6 hours ago, Willin' said:

Grudging respect. I admit he's fast on the trigger and has a lot of answers, but there's something about his method that makes me think there's a betting algorithm involved and I wish we could see him being swept for ear buds or other external inputs before the show.

I had no idea that show was still  going 30+ years ago

Anyone who thinks any tv gameshow doesnt have writers likely Loves  Pro Wrestling 

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I had no idea that show was still  going 30+ years ago

Anyone who thinks any tv gameshow doesnt have writers likely Loves  Pro Wrestling 

I've got Bruno Samartino's autogragh! :P

12 hours ago, Willin' said:

My son was answering many of the question even before the question was completed..

Yes he is good and very cool under pressure..

5 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

My son was answering many of the question even before the question was completed..

Yes he is good and very cool under pressure..

I'm sure the kid is smart but I know the game is different when you are in a studio with 2 others on the buzzers as well. Maybe your son can do the online try out and see if he can make it into the real game. 

5 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

I'm sure the kid is smart but I know the game is different when you are in a studio with 2 others on the buzzers as well. Maybe your son can do the online try out and see if he can make it into the real game. 

in the game  you can't buzz in until alex is done reading the question.  and if you buzz in too early,  you get blocked for buzzing for a 1/4 of a second.    so even if you know the answer,  you gotta be quick on the buzzer....but not too quick...

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/behind-scenes/how-does-jeopardy-buzzer-work

i read a piece on how this dude is killing the budget.  the show budgets something like 20-25k per show....dude is blowing that up like a nuke

3 hours ago, chester said:

i read a piece on how this dude is killing the budget.  the show budgets something like 20-25k per show....dude is blowing that up like a nuke

Makes me wonder if they'll try to stack the categories against him if they can figure out his vulnerable subjects. So far I can't............

He has a broad, but basically "popular" answer base.... I wonder if every category was based on 19th century women writers, if he's do as well....

But, I'd flat out bomb that myself.....

And to be honest, the movie category kills me now. The last 2 movies I saw in a theater were "Pulp Fiction" and "The Big Lewbowski"...... And I was a projectionist back in the day.

13 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Makes me wonder if they'll try to stack the categories against him if they can figure out his vulnerable subjects. So far I can't............

Mrs Chester thinks so!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

He has a broad, but basically "popular" answer base.... I wonder if every category was based on 19th century women writers, if he's do as well....

But, I'd flat out bomb that myself.....

And to be honest, the movie category kills me now. The last 2 movies I saw in a theater were "Pulp Fiction" and "The Big Lewbowski"...... And I was a projectionist back in the day.

So if my last movie was Bridge on the River Kwai does that date me as well...............:lol:

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

So if my last movie was Bridge on the River Kwai does that date me as well...............:lol:

In a theater?

You're about half past dead, son.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

That wase welle beforre youre navey stinte........                 :)

I was projectionist on first run movies from about 1977 until 1981..... From 79 on I was a fill in on breaks from college, and no one else wanted to run 3 back to back "Kramer VS. Kramer" shows..... That was brutal.

4 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

no one else wanted to run 3 back to back "Kramer VS. Kramer" shows..... That was brutal.

Adgreeded!

9 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

That wase welle beforre youre navey stinte........                 :)

:lol:

More like the Sand Pebbles era.............

13 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

In a theater?

You're about half past dead, son.....

Actually, I did see it in the theater first. My pop took me to see it when I was just wee lad............

On 4/30/2019 at 5:26 PM, Point Break said:

Sports jeopardy? 

2 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

he's exceptional for sure.  But some of his competition.. I don't know where they find them. They would make Mr. Clean or BJ Porker  look intelligent.

What are you saying? :)

On 5/21/2019 at 4:47 AM, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

he's exceptional for sure.  But some of his competition.. I don't know where they find them. They would make Mr. Clean or BJ Porker  look intelligent.

Why don't you tell us your online score?

On 5/20/2019 at 7:47 PM, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

They recruit them at Trump rallies.