Navig8tor

Assange has been arrested

Independent in England reports Metro police have taken him into custody.

Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks if he starts dishing dirt.

London Metro were invited in to the embassy to collect him. I guess spending 7 years in someone else’s house must’ve strained things a bit.

My bet is Donnie’s Ilk will do everything they can to get this guy into their hands. It saves having to explain to many difficult and interesting questions my bet is Guantanamo where he can be held indefinitely and nobody can access him.

Just before the stroke of midnight on September 20, 2016, at the height of last year’s presidential election, the WikiLeaks Twitter account sent a private direct message to Donald Trump Jr., the Republican nominee’s oldest son and campaign surrogate. “A PAC run anti-Trump site putintrump.org is about to launch,” WikiLeaks wrote. “The PAC is a recycled pro-Iraq war PAC. We have guessed the password. It is ‘putintrump.’ See ‘About’ for who is behind it. Any comments?” (The site, which has since become a joint project with Mother Jones, was founded by Rob Glaser, a tech entrepreneur, and was funded by Progress for USA Political Action Committee.)

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/

He was a hero to the  progressives when he exposed the Bush. Now he's the devil, funny how the times have changed.  

16 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

My bet is Donnie’s Ilk will do everything they can to get this guy into their hands.

My bet is that numb nuts Donnie will do what he's told and prosecute the founder of wiki publishing thus opening the door to prosecute other publishers like NYT etc. You should think twice, but you won't because you're a moron. 

• Like 1

Being whisked away for another lunch with Roger Stone. Don’t drink the tea, Julian!  

Um..I think the UK has a ban on extradition to countries that offer a threat to the safety of extraditees...Sweden dropped charges..all the UK want him for is breaking bail.

They'll prolly make him serve 7 days and stick him back on a plane to Oz. 

Imagine how much the neighborhood has changed since he last saw it....

Looks like the Empire finally got Obi Wan.

3 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Independent in England reports Metro police have taken him into custody.

Gonna be an interesting couple of weeks if he starts dishing dirt.

If?

One should imagine he will likely start to a talk as to avoid whatever sentence he might be facing for the charges he will face.

Will be interesting for sure as I doubt this will be limited Chelsea Manning case, although that will be the initial premise. I do not believe in coincidences, as such this is likely going to move towards the DNC, Hilary Clinton and John Podesta emails.

So the question begs, who was colluding with whom?

If he can hang in the UK for a mere 5 weeks, we'll have a new government. I think most Australians think he's a dickhead but ..face 300 years in gaol for something he'd get 5-10 for here?..nah, we'll demand him back...he leaked our stuff too and he's ours to prosecute. 

36 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

I do not believe in coincidences, as such this is likely going to move towards the DNC, Hilary Clinton and John Podesta emails.

So the question begs, who was colluding with whom?

#6 believes in the discredited Seth Rich conspiracy?  The one wikileaks knew was a lie when they were pushing it?

Trump's/Putin's people will never let him live long enough to spill any beans unless he's already done it, and someone's holding them for him in a very secure, and anonymous location.

1 hour ago, Lifted Tack said:

Glad they got him. Hope they get Snowden next.

Snowden isn't a publisher ya fascist dum fuk. 

28 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Trump's/Putin's people will never let him live long enough to spill any beans unless he's already done it, and someone's holding them for him in a very secure, and anonymous location.

Get you tin foil hat ready, Putin has his mind control device pointed your way. I'm serious! :D

3 hours ago, Rat's ass said:

He was a hero to the  progressives when he exposed the Bush. Now he's the devil, funny how the times have changed.  

My bet is that numb nuts Donnie will do what he's told and prosecute the founder of wiki publishing thus opening the door to prosecute other publishers like NYT etc. You should think twice, but you won't because you're a moron. 

Like many people, my initial thoughts on Wikileaks were about what they pretended to be. It got pretty obvious after some time that they were nothing like that at all and were pretty much FSB stooges.

6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Like many people, my initial thoughts on Wikileaks were about what they pretended to be. It got pretty obvious after some time that they were nothing like that at all and were pretty much FSB stooges.

I think WL really believed in the beginning, they thought there was a whole new transparent libertarian world coming and they'd be on the vanguard. That era was the highpoint for internet utopianism - it still seemed like our bright future of flat communication and power to the masses was coming. And then wikileaks made some really powerful enemys and found out the world hadn't changed - they needed friends. Their libertarian future hadn't come. And so they became captive stooges. And not even good ones - G. Greenwald's stuff is clueless garbage these days.

23 minutes ago, Rat's ass said:

Snowden isn't a publisher ya fascist dum fuk. 

Never said he was ya dum fuk.

Well, shallow person that I am, this was my first thought when I saw the actual arrest.......

Assange01dsk.png.63c9fbcf7b93bf2918ba898fbb7f7e21.png

-DSK

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Do they give him to the US or Vlad?

They give him to the US who then gives him to Vlad.

weird timing on this one lads

just by chance Barrs version of the highly redacted Mueller report being released as soon as your lawmakers head off for their easter break

excellent  timing on that one too

Dylan

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Do they give him to the US or Vlad?

If he goes to Russia, Assange would probably just "disappear" into some highway project in Siberia. Might be a better fate for him than being paraded in front of the US courts. Of course I hear the food is better in Federal prisons than the Ecuadorian embassy.  

That image flashed on my feed and i first thought it was david letterman

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 12.31.22 PM.png

• Like 1

Has Trump tweeted about this yet?  Crickets this AM.

(not who will play Assange....;))

4 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

#6 believes in the discredited Seth Rich conspiracy?  The one wikileaks knew was a lie when they were pushing it?

Please cite where #6 said anything of the sort.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That image flashed on my feed and i first thought it was david letterman

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 12.31.22 PM.png

I don't think that's him.  It's a false flag operation, being run out of the basement of Comet Ping Pong.  The secret code is "Double Cheese!"  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rat's ass said:

That's the calling card of a good newspaperman ... despised by all except for the bartenders and prostitutes whom he graciously supports.

Just now, BillDBastard said:

Why do you disparage Pamela Anderson so?

Because she's from Ladysmith.

Not just her accent is hidden. Pick her out of this crowd.

48-og.jpg?w=650&h=487

Funny, Donnie suddenly says "Wiki who?" and the MAGAS also suddenly develop a collective amnesia.:D

I'd just say that this whole "I know nothing about Wikileaks" shit is just further proof of Trump's dementia.

25 and 3rd, with the kicker still on the bench.....

15 hours ago, chum said:

Looks like the Empire finally got Obi Wan.

Chelsea Manning makes a rather piss-poor Luke Skywalker, doncha think? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'd just say that this whole "I know nothing about Wikileaks" shit is just further proof of Trump's dementia.

Dementia? Hell no. Unlike the Sauds, Putin, and Bibi, Julian is extremely unlikely to ever be in a position to lend him money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

Chelsea Manning makes a rather piss-poor Luke Skywalker, doncha think? 

I miss

220?cb=20161003050632

14 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

Reminiscing about the good old days when the Mueller guy was gonna bring those bitches down. What happened with that anyway?

https://youtu.be/H26hVPoCO-o

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

https://youtu.be/H26hVPoCO-o

• Downvote 1

Back to Mr Assange.

How badly does the USA want him? This could get messy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-12/what-next-for-julian-assange-the-conversation/10999130

One possibility is that Assange will serve his sentence for failing to surrender to the court, after which the UK will deport him to Australia. At that point, it is possible the US could request extradition from Australia, and the US-Australian extradition treaty would apply. The US charges would most likely be covered although not specifically mentioned in the treaty.

As with the UK-US treaty, political offences are excluded, and an extradited person can only be tried for the offence in the extradition request or a related offence, and in any event not for an offence not covered by the treaty.

In addition, the treaty specifies that neither Australia nor the US is obliged to extradite its own nationals, but may do so.

The fact that Australia has the option to refuse extradition purely on the ground of Assange's nationality could lead to intense pressure on the government to do just that.

27 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Back to Mr Assange.

How badly does the USA want him? This could get messy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-12/what-next-for-julian-assange-the-conversation/10999130

One possibility is that Assange will serve his sentence for failing to surrender to the court, after which the UK will deport him to Australia. At that point, it is possible the US could request extradition from Australia, and the US-Australian extradition treaty would apply. The US charges would most likely be covered although not specifically mentioned in the treaty.

As with the UK-US treaty, political offences are excluded, and an extradited person can only be tried for the offence in the extradition request or a related offence, and in any event not for an offence not covered by the treaty.

In addition, the treaty specifies that neither Australia nor the US is obliged to extradite its own nationals, but may do so.

The fact that Australia has the option to refuse extradition purely on the ground of Assange's nationality could lead to intense pressure on the government to do just that.

From the reports of his behaviour in the Ecuadoran Embassy I'd say Assange is an arsehole of the first water, with zero sense of obligation or indeed even intelligent self interest. However I'd be quite vehemently opposed to having him extradited from Australia to the USA. By exposing what the NSA et al were up to, he did us all a great favour. For starters it kicked Apple, Google and others into gear to take encryption more seriously.

FKT

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The indictment unsealed Thursday says Manning downloaded four databases from departments and agencies of the U.S. containing approximately 90,000 Afghanistan War–related reports, 400,000 Iraq War–related reports, 800 Guantanamo Bay detainee assessment briefs and 250,000 State Department cables between January and May 2010, many of which were labeled classified.

“Manning provided the records to agents of WikiLeaks so that WikiLeaks could publicly disclose them on its website,” the indictment says. "WikiLeaks publicly released the vast majority of the classified records on its website in 2010 and 2011."

Officials described it as one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States.

Telling the world about Duopoly wars and war crimes is extremely naughty, which explains the bipartisan condemnation.

It's worth noting, as Reason's Nick Gillespie did Thursday morning, that there are indeed valid questions about Assange's relationship with the Russian government. However, the charge he's currently facing relates to WikiLeaks' efforts to release hundreds of thousands of classified documents about the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and has nothing to do with the 2016 election. Back in 2010, prosecutors say Assange helped crack a password stored on government computers in order to access classified information.

"Julian Assange has long been a wicked tool of Vladimir Putin and the Russian intelligence services. He deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison," Sen. Ben Sasse (R–Neb.) wrote on Twitter.

Sen. Cory Gardner (R–Colo.), meanwhile, praised British police for taking Assange into custody and called for Assange to be extradited so he could "answer for aiding & abetting a foreign power to undermine US democracy & laws."

Sen. Joe Manchin (D–W.Va.) put it even more bluntly. "He is our property, and we can get the facts and the truth from him," Manchin said on CNN's New Day.

Republican Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.) and Richard Burr (N.C.) also criticized Assange. Cotton claimed he "endangered the lives of American troops in a time of war," and said that "since Assange is used to living inside, I'm sure he'll be prepared for federal prison."

Burr, meanwhile, said Assange "engaged in a conspiracy to steal classified information, putting millions of lives at risk all over the world."

Members of the House expressed similar sentiments. Rep. Eliot Engel (D–N.Y.), chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, called Assange "a tool of Vladimir Putin and the Russian intelligence service," and expressed hope that he'll be extradited to the U.S. to "finally face justice."

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D–Fla.), referred to WikiLeaks as "a menace to American national security" and said Assange's arrest "is an important development and a condition precedent for justice to prevail in this matter.

Perhaps just as notable as the widespread cheering of Assange's arrest was the initial silence from advocates for government transparency and critics of U.S. intervention abroad.

Libertarian-leaning Sen. Rand Paul (R–Ky.), for instance, suggested in August that Assange could be given immunity if he testified before Congress about the DNC leaks. Reason reached out to Paul's office for comment on Assange's arrest, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D–Hawaii), a 2020 presidential candidate, said in February that "the information that has been put out [by WikiLeaks] has exposed a lot of things that have been happening that the American people were not aware of and have spurred some necessary change there." A spokesperson for Gabbard did not provide an official response to Assange's arrest prior to publication.

Several hours after publication of this article, Gabbard said on CNN that WikiLeaks and Assange have "informed the American people about actions that were taking place that they should be aware of."

"What's happening here is unfortunately...some form of retaliation coming from the government," she added.

Reason also reached out to the offices of Reps. Justin Amash (R–Mich.) and Thomas Massie (R–Ky.), as well as Sen. Mike Lee (R–Utah). None of them provided a response.

Hat tip to Tulsi.

From the reports of his behaviour in the Ecuadoran Embassy I'd say Assange is as mad as a cut snake.

A sociopath to begin with, tipped over to full blown paranoia ..we dont extradite our own nutters.

Tucker nailed the left's hypocrisy last night regarding the man who exposed the rigging of the democratic primary.  The left wants him dead.

17 minutes ago, Troglodytarum said:

Tucker nailed the left's hypocrisy last night regarding the man who exposed the rigging of the democratic primary.  The left wants him dead.

So..that's Tucker Carlson...Do you watch that drivel often?

Chomsky's spot on. Assange is still a sociopathic twit.

Note to all you skater-boys.... clean up after your frickin' cats !!!!

Assange reportedly failed to clean up after his cat and skateboarded inside the embassy, increasing tensions with his hosts. (They outlined their expectation for Assange’s conduct in a memo this past fall.) 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/julian-assange-explainer-819208/?fbclid=IwAR3MZPLbz3fZewoiHLGNHwKptniZRBvRRaQid62z4lYD_8Ix-8ICjTcX5ek

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Tulsi Gabbard's right about Assange being right!

nah, she's just being Putin's lackey like usual.

it's no wonder people like @Importunate Tom celebrate assange - at heart assange is just another nihilist. dead human right activists? that's what you get for cooperating with "the duopoly".

8 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

nah, she's just being Putin's lackey like usual.

That was the charge leveled at those of us who opposed the Iraq war back when doing that was unfashionable.

It's no wonder people like Lindsey Graham demonize Assange. I've found that "the opposite of what Lindsey thinks" is a pretty good guide to foreign policy wisdom. Especially when he's teamed up with Miscut Jib.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Importunate Tom said:

That was the charge leveled at those of us who opposed the Iraq war back when doing that was unfashionable.

I was against the Iraq War you grandstanding cunt. Right once in your life and you suck your own dick for almost 20 years. Congrats man!

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Tulsi Gabbard's right about Assange being right!

She might be.  For me, it depends on the truth of the allegation that he helped Manning break into the system with a password.  While we see some activities like spending changed to be defined as speech in order to get first amendment protection, I don't know of anyone who claims that burglary, larceny, hacking or any related activities are protected speech. 

21 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

For me, it depends on the truth of the allegation...

From where did that allegation pop up, anyway?

38 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

She might be.  For me, it depends on the truth of the allegation that he helped Manning break into the system with a password.  While we see some activities like spending changed to be defined as speech in order to get first amendment protection, I don't know of anyone who claims that burglary, larceny, hacking or any related activities are protected speech. 

that's the crux of the issue in my mind - if all he did was publish what Manning stole?   I understand our government being pissed off, but, I don't know that that's legally actionable.  He wasn't under an NDA, thus I don't think that he had any legal responsibility to our government to safeguard and protect that information. Given that, I don't think that Assange divulging that info is a crime.  Manning's stealing it?  Absolutely was.  

If folks know something else, I'd be happy to be enlightened. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It's gonna be a hard sell to claim Assange was doing the hacking without overwhelming proof. Newspapers can and do support and encourage sources to disclose classified information including providing a place to store said information as part of normal protected business. How is Assange any different? 

The fact that both the left and right want him to "rot in jail" is a red flag for me. Even if convicted, he spent more time in his self imposed imprisonment than he will in a US jail...       

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Prosecutors in the manning case had purported evidence (a text conversation log) of Julian offering to help Manning crack a password - https://www.wired.com/2011/12/army-manning-hearing/  that was back in 2011.

Hmm - from your cite: "Prior to Manning’s leaks to the organization, WikiLeaks had published a wishlist of documents and data it hoped leakers would send it."     I'd forgotten about that - and I think that the request to illegally obtain classified information would support a conspiracy charge, even if the attempts to break in to the government system can't be proven.  

10 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

It's gonna be a hard sell to claim Assange was doing the hacking without overwhelming proof. Newspapers can and do support and encourage sources to disclose classified information including providing a place to store said information as part of normal protected business. How is Assange any different? 

The fact that both the left and right want him to "rot in jail" is a red flag for me. Even if convicted, he spent more time in his self imposed imprisonment than he will in a US jail...       

Read that indictment and you'll see that they are alleging both scenarios.  He first accepted files from Manning, then they allege that he helped Manning crack a password to get even more files. Inasmuch as they quote Assange in that section of the indictment (somewhere between paragraph 7 to 11 or so), I'd say they probably have the email chain that spells it out. We'll see.  That's why I said it depends upon the truth of the allegation. It is a hard standard to meet, as it should be.  I would say that the first type (receiving files from a whistleblower) is arguably protected, though an argument can be made either way on that.  The second, helping someone crack a password, has no relationship to journalism. 

3 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Hmm - from your cite: "Prior to Manning’s leaks to the organization, WikiLeaks had published a wishlist of documents and data it hoped leakers would send it."     I'd forgotten about that - and I think that the request to illegally obtain classified information would support a conspiracy charge, even if the attempts to break in to the government system can't be proven.  

Didn’t Trump publicly do the same asking the Russians instead? 

36 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Read that indictment and you'll see that they are alleging both scenarios.  He first accepted files from Manning, then they allege that he helped Manning crack a password to get even more files. Inasmuch as they quote Assange in that section of the indictment (somewhere between paragraph 7 to 11 or so), I'd say they probably have the email chain that spells it out. We'll see.  That's why I said it depends upon the truth of the allegation. It is a hard standard to meet, as it should be.  I would say that the first type (receiving files from a whistleblower) is arguably protected, though an argument can be made either way on that.  The second, helping someone crack a password, has no relationship to journalism. 

Accepting the files is clearly not illegal, neither is publishing them so that's just fluff. It comes down to what the DOJ has on the "I'll help you crack the passwords". If it's just one reference with no supporting evidence (actual evidence successful or not) I'm not sure that will carry the day for a conviction.  This could be why the Obama administration did'nt pursue it. Of course the Obama administration didn't do the DOJ any favors by commuting Manning's sentence making it seem like releasing classified information is not a crime worthy of an extended stay at a state run Hilton... 

The Brits have much less liberal free speech right than we do. It may be better to let them lock him up as we may not have the laws to do it... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

Accepting the files is clearly not illegal, neither is publishing them so that's just fluff. It comes down to what the DOJ has on the "I'll help you crack the passwords". If it's just one reference with no supporting evidence (actual evidence successful or not) I'm not sure that will carry the day for a conviction.  This could be why the Obama administration did'nt pursue it. Of course the Obama administration didn't do the DOJ any favors by commuting Manning's sentence making it seem like releasing classified information is not a crime worthy of an extended stay at a state run Hilton... 

The Brits have much less liberal free speech right than we do. It may be better to let them lock him up as we may not have the laws to do it... 

One of Obama's worst decisions, in my opinion. But it looks to me like they think that they can get him on conspiracy for both acts.  

The best thing may be to just let him go and let nature take its course.  Let the Russians have a go at him, assuming they no longer find him useful. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

One of Obama's worst decisions, in my opinion. But it looks to me like they think that they can get him on conspiracy for both acts.  

The best thing may be to just let him go and let nature take its course.  Let the Russians have a go at him, assuming they no longer find him useful. 

you're a dark, dark man...:D

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

you're a dark, dark man...:D

Indeed.  In other news...

56917946_10155953349850759_2726315432704

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

the request to illegally obtain classified information would support a conspiracy charge,

constitutionally protected newsgathering of whistleblower action

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

"Agreed to assist" is bullshit.  Mr. Potatohead says so.  

Manning had access so what did Assange 'hack'?

Could be.  The way I read those allegations, it seemed like there was material to which Manning did not have access, and needed to figure out the password. 

I reckon we'll find out if he does indeed get extradited.  

Assange01dsk.png

Assange being played by Tom Hanks?  I think the big question is how did they get George W. to play the cop.

• Like 2

A bit of free advice: If someone gives you asylum, don't thank them by smearing your own shit on the walls. It won't score points with the missus. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Could be.  The way I read those allegations, it seemed like there was material to which Manning did not have access, and needed to figure out the password. 

I reckon we'll find out if he does indeed get extradited.  

If I tell him to watch Wargames does that make me a hacker

50 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

A bit of free advice: If someone gives you asylum, don't thank them by smearing your own shit on the walls. It won't score points with the missus. 

You can take the Queenslander out of Queensland........

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

If I tell him to watch Wargames does that make me a hacker

Agreed but if you become an active participant (see P 25) you could end up facing a conspiracy charge. They are clearly going after him for more than just passive receipt of information. They’re saying he took part in the effort to crack the password. If they don’t have anything to prove that up this will go away quickly. 

5 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Do the left want him to rot in gaol? news to me.

2 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

Assange01dsk.png

Assange being played by Tom Hanks?  I think the big question is how did they get George W. to play the cop.

assange should have washed under his ball sack.

Anybody remember seeing this? 

http://johnpilger.com/videos/julian-assange-in-conversation-with-john-pilger

just watching 

http://johnpilger.com/videos/the-war-you-dont-see     and really entertaining part of Assange laughing about publishing UK secrets, apparently it wasn’t a problem via a loophole in the secrets laws, I’m sure there’s something called dissemination he missed and is still really regretting right now.  Especially whilst trying not get extradited back to Australia........via LAX! 

They might just put him on a plane to the States in return for the policing bill for 7 years  outside the embassy, you run out of friends when you shit on all of them over the years  

I’m not defending anyone in this but thought It was interesting that the documentary condensed it into a timeline to follow..  

7 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

If they have an offer to help crack a password, is that any evidence he had the ability to actually help, or did so?