Sign in to follow this  
bushsailor

Brisbane to Gladstone 2019

Well another year has come around. Only 10 boats which is obviously disappointing but still better than most ocean races around the world for multihulls.

List of entries:

Avalanche                           Lidguard 50

Beau Gueste                      ORMA 70 ex Pheado

Big Bird                              Grainger 32 tri                 

Boss racing                       Garry Saxby open cat

Cosmo                               Stealth 40 cat

Fruition                              14m cruising cat from NZ

Morticia                             Modified seacart 30

Rushour                             15m cruising/racing cat

Storm Bay                         14m chamberlain cat

Top Gun                             15m open pod cat

Other potential entries are 56' crowther Rogantongue??? with a bigger rig which is nearly ready and XL2 which has just changed hands.

One week out and weather looks like a perfect downwind run in 15 kn.

On OMR rating line honours should be Beau gueste, Boss Racing, Top Gun, Morticia, Rushour, Cosmo, Storm Bay

Handicap win could be anyone depending on the weather. If it is windy bigger boats like Rushour, Bea Gueste, Top Gun can push harder. Lighter wind boats like Morticia and Boss can get going on their foils and pull away.

Race starts on Good Friday.

image.png

1 hour ago, PIL66 said:

Negative on XL2... coming to Sydney this weekend

Why don't you do it? The boat is there and it would be ready to go?

4 hours ago, square top said:

Why don't you do it? The boat is there and it would be ready to go?

Flying OS on Thursday....

4 hours ago, bushsailor said:

Will rongantunguu be ready?

Believe so. saw it in the water on Sunday. apparently mast goes up today. be a bloody miracle if they get the finish line. Avalanche is out.

yep,

I think I would not like to be on that boat going around the top of Fraser in 30kn wondering which bit was not quite strong enough.

I believe No Problem may be in. It is a local gladstone Schionning that does the race most years.

Yes, just hit the dock at Sandgate yesterday. And Rognatjtjujujuta just hit the water for mast stepping down the coast.

23 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Yes, just hit the dock at Sandgate yesterday. And Rognatjtjujujuta just hit the water for mast stepping down the coast.

I asked on the Book of Faces for the Rognatjuuuuuu story but was denied access.... anyone here know the resurrection story ...?

Rogutjuuu pitchpoled in btog about 10 yr ago,

got washed up on lady Elliott is and got the cabin ground down on the reef, rescued and sat around till now. 

Someone from Sydney owns it, put a bigger rig on it, 24 m wing mast.

it will be a beast when and if it gets sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bushsailor said:

Rogutjuuu pitchpoled in btog about 10 yr ago,

got washed up on lady Elliott is and got the cabin ground down on the reef, rescued and sat around till now. 

Someone from Sydney owns it, put a bigger rig on it, 24 m wing mast.

it will be a beast when and if it gets sorted.

Thanks..... Who... where ... Can I have some more sir

Ian trelevin owns it. Geoff Cruse has been coordinating the refit at signature yachts... multimarine did some work as well...

geoff was steering her when she tipped last time... although I think he claims that wasn’t the case as he had just been washed over the side when it went over...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mpeb said:

Ian trelevin owns it. Geoff Cruse has been coordinating the refit at signature yachts... multimarine did some work as well...

geoff was steering her when she tipped last time... although I think he claims that wasn’t the case as he had just been washed over the side when it went over...

Wow, so Crusies gone overboard in 2 Gladies, what a legend!

Thanks. It seems the Rog is a no show.

Tracker is live at http://yb.tl/MYCQ2019?fbclid=IwAR2xKdkaQjmWfvfnXg7nlb9QhQ3S1cs5cIFV59OZNvhmw772RwZnV5A78_4

and can be loaded on to Androids and those other fruity tablets. Make sure on Android you pick YB Races and then choose the BtoG with both fleets able to be loaded. Slight difference in courses and we give them a headstart which I am hoping will make it fun this year as we wind them in.

20 minutes ago, plywoodboy said:

Thanks. It seems the Rog is a no show.

Tracker is live at http://yb.tl/MYCQ2019?fbclid=IwAR2xKdkaQjmWfvfnXg7nlb9QhQ3S1cs5cIFV59OZNvhmw772RwZnV5A78_4

and can be loaded on to Androids and those other fruity tablets. Make sure on Android you pick YB Races and then choose the BtoG with both fleets able to be loaded. Slight difference in courses and we give them a headstart which I am hoping will make it fun this year as we wind them in.

Thanks Peter.  I can't access the NOR/SI from where I am but recall this being a ~300nm coastal race?  Is it open to Farriers and Corsairs and the likes?

Yes, can be oong and rough and my current reno won the race on corrected time while she was Wilparina, as did the first production 31 Triumph. 

Safety requirements are pretty strict and the gear can fill up and weigh down a little tri, so most of us find a more comfortable cat to immerse our Easter in.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:07 AM, Mpeb said:

Cruel 

3 hours ago, shane beyer said:

Mortica is not showing on yellow brick

Tactical switch off. 

16 hours ago, Wess said:

Thanks Peter.  I can't access the NOR/SI from where I am but recall this being a ~300nm coastal race?  Is it open to Farriers and Corsairs and the likes?

Anything that you can get to cat 2 1/2. 

8 hours ago, plywoodboy said:

Yes, can be oong and rough and my current reno won the race on corrected time while she was Wilparina, as did the first production 31 Triumph. 

Safety requirements are pretty strict and the gear can fill up and weigh down a little tri, so most of us find a more comfortable cat to immerse our Easter in.

That’s one reason why I was never keen to take Big Bird.

It’s strong enough, no doubt, but it’s like an ice berg, 80% of it is under the surface. And that’s before you put all the safety gear on it which would make it completely sink. 

Still I gotta hand it to the owner,  he’s got bigger balls and/or less brains than me. 

59 minutes ago, LionIsland said:

Tactical switch off. 

I thought that to 

4 hours ago, shane beyer said:

Mortica is not showing on yellow brick

Fried splitter?

• Like 1

Morticia announced before the start the Yellow brick was fried...

Wow, Beau Geste already near the top end of Frasier Island!

Does any one know how Morticia is going? I can’t believe that Blackjack is giving BeauGuest a run for her money. Looks like Blackjack is making time on her on the squarer run down the paddock! Exciting race.

2 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Wow, Beau Geste already near the top end of Frasier Island!

Yeah. Amazing. And to think it’s barely 30’ longer than the tri. 

Beau Gueste is the tri.

Ah. Yes. Quite right. 

Thought I was responding to something on black jack being up with Beau Geste. 

Yeah I thought so. Anyway it’s shaping up to be a pretty awesome race. I really thought the mod 70 would have pulled some more time on Blackjack though? How cool is Rushour though, a bridgedeck cat which started life as a Rogers 35. Been watching it over the last few years and it just seems to get faster each year!   Are we the only ones watching this race?

10 minutes ago, he b gb said:

Yeah I thought so. Anyway it’s shaping up to be a pretty awesome race. I really thought the mod 70 would have pulled some more time on Blackjack though? How cool is Rushour though, a bridgedeck cat which started life as a Rogers 35. Been watching it over the last few years and it just seems to get faster each year!   Are we the only ones watching this race?

I'm waiting and watching to. Go Rush hour what a great performance .Love to know where Mortica is and if the new boards are working .

Yeah Shane, would like to know where Mortitia is also but with only 3 of us watching I don’t think we’ll find out till tomorrow morning and I’m starting to get tired already!

OMR rating

Beau Geste      1.377

Mortica               .944

Rush hour          .916

Topgun              .997

Mortica will have to be 33 minute  or 8mn ahead of Rush hour .(About) 

Be nice to know where Morticia is.  

So it’s on the track with no responder, yes? I’m too lazy to check the SI’s does  that mean they gotta sched in by radio? 

Cant we just check their AIS? 

And no BB or same prob with no tracker? 

Phenomenal speed Beau Geste I can’t see that time getting beaten. Nearly 20 knot average. And Rushour must be a weapon off the breeze because it sure did seem to struggle upwind in Pittwater to Paradise. Certainly Drew Carruthers has the “go hard or go home” racing bug bad. “Make it or break it.”

Huge congratulations to Drew and all of the crew on Rushour. A great effort well rewarded by 1st OMR and 1st PHS. To finish 2nd on line honours to the well sailed Mod 70 Beau Geste in a tough squally race is a fantastic result.

Well done to all of the entrants, the gusty conditions and big seas meant that there was lots going on and most suffered at least minor damage of some sort. As often happens in these sort of conditions with boats hitting high speeds there were plenty of cases of rudder damage to varying extents. 

The live coverage of the start was excellent and as always the trackers meant that everyone could sit in comfort and watch the various tussles and battles unfold. Great atmosphere at the start and finish. 

Well done to the MYCQ organisers - this is a big event to run and a small handful of volunteers do all the work. 

On our 7th attempt, Rushour finally won the Brisbane to Gladstone Multihull Yacht Race

A new line honors record was set by the big Mod 70, with Rushour 2nd line honors, 1st OMR, 1st PHF and Most Valuable Crew. Crew  all did a fantastic job.
Top speed over 27 kn quite a few times ,sitting on 20 plus kn for long periods. average speed of 15.7 kn total distance including several hours of below 10 kn, we covered 324 nm which was not bad in a 310nm race with about 80nm of dead down wind.

Topgun got out of the bay way better than us and built a 7nm lead with better VMG kite running in around 12kn of wind with Morticia right beside us and Boss racing a couple of miles behind. When we hit the open ocean we started to pull away from Morticia and Were consistently 1 to 2kn faster than Topgun. We passed Topgun at Waddy point (near top of Fraser) then quickly pulled away from them running up to Breaksea building a 20nm lead which we held to the finish.

Conditions were 15 to 20kn se wind with moderate sea. there were a few squalls of over 35kn with heavy rain. These squalls were what slowed Morticia down as they could not run off safely like we could in a big boat.

We had a few kite issues, the stainless ring of our main kite exploded, then our $100 fractional blew up as did our old masthead kite. (I put them both in the bin so that I would not be tempted to fix them again)

Great race for us and the boat handled beautifully. 

Boss pulled out at Breaksea with rudder issues, not sure what happened to Big Bird.

Fantastic effort by the race committee as well.

Category: 2019 Race Results

55th Brisbane to Gladstone 2019 Results

Start Time 19/04/19 11:30:00

Handicaps
Elapsed
OMR
Performance Rating
Boat
OMR
PRF
Finish time
Time
Place
OMR Corr
Place
Corr time
Place
Beau Geste
2:56:52
15:26:52
21:17:13
3:48:22
Rushour
8:11:28
20:41:28
18:57:11
20:16:38
Top Gun
9:20:55
21:50:55
21:46:59
21:50:55
Morticia
11:31:22
0:01:22
22:40:39
2:25:30
Cosmo
16:16:36
4:46:36
0:25:53
1:53:56
No Problem
18:17:06
6:47:06
23:23:48
23:23:48
Storm Bay
18:36:07
7:06:07
1:20:53
1:30:13
Avalanche
21:14:41
9:44:41
2:51:39
4:20:44
Fruition

21:24:51
9:54:51

2:27:11
Boss Racing
DNF

DNF

DNF

DNF
Big Bird
DNF

DNF

DNF

DNF
Rogntijuuu

DNS

DNS

DNS

DNS

Well done to Rushour and all who entered, sailed and finished. 

I saw this table (see post above) on the MYCQ. website and thick as I am still reckon it shouldn’t be that hard to follow. 

After the first three boats a can’t follow it at all. 

Anyone able to explain it using single syllable words. 

Ummm, under time there's a 1: missing from anyone that took more than a day to finish? ;)

On 4/19/2019 at 4:38 PM, Sidecar said:

Fried splitter?

That's funny.... 

Ok sorry if I missed something here but.... Is there any good footage of Multis from the start...?  I tried to follow with the live club / Sailor Girl thing but only seemed to get mono's and a flash or two of some multi.... 

Can anyone direct me to video......

2 hours ago, craig fraser said:

Not sure if you are talking about the live stream video on the QCYC website, it's still available to watch and the multi start is around the 1hr 50 min mark,

http://www.brisbanetogladstone.com/node/107

Thanks.... I had seen this.... I was hoping for more actual sailing but I guess they had issues

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y9TV6otXYURXIBmq2aEPh4GVki_qK9tD/view?ts=5cd2cccd

Here’s some unedited footage of the start. It was a bit haphazard due to being very close to shore in a low tide. There was only about 3 metres of water when Beau Geste draws four metres with the boards down. The mighty Cosmo nailed the start no doubt assisted by the expert crew work by Plywoodboy and WetnWild amongst others!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WetnWild said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y9TV6otXYURXIBmq2aEPh4GVki_qK9tD/view?ts=5cd2cccd

Here’s some unedited footage of the start. It was a bit haphazard due to being very close to shore in a low tide. There was only about 3 metres of water when Beau Geste draws four metres with the boards down. The mighty Cosmo nailed the start no doubt assisted by the expert crew work by Plywoodboy and WetnWild amongst others!

That was great thanks

I'm curious after looking at that how the boys on Morticia feel about their new lifting boards......

Cosmo punched hard.... As did Drew on Rushour