Navig8tor

Donnie blinks first, Winning?

WASHINGTON/BEIJING (Reuters) - U.S. negotiators have tempered demands that China curb industrial subsidies as a condition for a trade deal after strong resistance from Beijing, according to two sources briefed on discussions, marking a retreat on a core U.S. objective for the trade talks. 

4 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

WASHINGTON/BEIJING (Reuters) - U.S. negotiators have tempered demands that China curb industrial subsidies as a condition for a trade deal after strong resistance from Beijing, according to two sources briefed on discussions, marking a retreat on a core U.S. objective for the trade talks. 

You should be out celebrating the failure! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rat's ass said:

You should be out celebrating the failure! 

Don’t actually give a Rats Ass except he has been telling his rabid followers he’s winning ......when it’s painfully obvious to anyone with more than two functioning brain cells that he is not and he’s been telling porkies but do keep showing your ignorance, it is mildly entertaining.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Navig8tor said:

Don’t actually give a Rats Ass except he has been telling his rabid followers he’s winning ......when it’s painfully obvious to anyone with more than two functioning brain cells that he is not and he’s been telling porkies but do keep showing your ignorance, it is mildly entertaining.

WTF are you on about, so now I'm a Trump follower? :huh:

Well certainly your statement would imply that is where you stand on the matter, not many centrist or lefties would use those words methinks.

And no I’m not inclined to celebrate his failure I think it is a tragedy and it shows a level of ignorance and stupidity that is breathtaking in both its scale and implementation.

I feel for the salt of the earth people like the farmers that have grafted hard and yet have been thrown under the bus so Donnie gets to score some pathetic political points.

He doesn’t fucking care about people it’s all about winning right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, another 505 sailor said:

It's not the negotiations that matter, it's the deal that matters.

I would not buy a car/rent an aportment/lend him any money

it would not go well

D

10 minutes ago, another 505 sailor said:

It's not the negotiations that matter, it's the deal that matters.

really it's what happens after the deal is made, but Trump don't care cuz Trump won't be here.

and so Donnie's right now having the team negotiate tariffs that put a hurt on blue states and lefting the ones on red states. so donnie can get reelected. and team "picking winners and losers is bad, yo" is remaining dead quiet. Right @Dog?

6 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

So you think China having an insurmountable trade deficit with the US is a good thing then? Define winning?

25 minutes ago, Movable Ballast said:

So you think China having an insurmountable trade deficit with the US is a good thing then? Define winning?

That superbly illustrates your level of economic understanding.

I'd say winning could be defined as morons like you not having any say in the selection of political leadership.

9 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

You'll all have to forgive me if I don'y trust the NEWS media. 

That's because you always'y trust your government. At least under this administration.

11 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

You'll all have to forgive me if I don'y trust the NEWS media. 

So do tell, who do you trust to get the truth? (we all know u get the talking points almost daily so that does not count.)  You do realize that thousands and thousands of your fellow Americans laid down their lives so you could enjoy a free press don't you?

9 hours ago, shaggy said:

So do tell, who do you trust to get the truth? (we all know u get the talking points almost daily so that does not count.)  You do realize that thousands and thousands of your fellow Americans laid down their lives so you could enjoy a free press don't you?

I read, I watch I think, I research. 

Ever hear the expression you get what you pay for?  They died for Press Freedom not free press. 

And. it is a terrible terrible abuse of that sacrifice when the media publishes fake news and uses that freedom for political purposes. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Movable Ballast said:

Yeah it’s not a problem.  Neither good nor bad unless something related to national security like rare earth metals and automobiles don’t count.  Eco 201.

FFS Fake - I thought YOU at least understood the distinction between deficit and surplus.

For the record, and the edification of the economic illiterates like Ballast Brain and his ignorant elk;

China has a huge trade surplus with the USA.

The USA has a trade deficit with China.

Ballast Brain - If you're going to hold and voice strong opinions on a subject, you could at least have the good manners to know WTF the terminology is.

Otherwise you just look like an ignorant fool.

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

FFS Fake - I thought YOU at least understood the distinction between deficit and surplus.

For the record, and the edification of the economic illiterates like Ballast Brain and his ignorant elk;

China has a huge trade surplus with the USA.

The USA has a trade deficit with China.

If you're going to hold and voice strong opinions on a subject, you could at least have the good manners to know WTF the terminology is.

Otherwise you just look like an ignorant fool.

Crap I managed to miss the most stupid part of his post.   It’s got two layers of stupid...

• Like 1

Multi-layered stupidity - a great description of many of the usual suspects. :D

image.thumb.png.4a55ff43ad01d02047fd32da54c58180.png

A layer of ignorance followed by a layer of stupid followed by another layer of ignorance then another layer of stupid and so on.

All wrapped up in pure, unadulterated whiteness.

Trump has found wisdom, though his base may call it desperation.   He consulted President Carter about China.   

On Saturday evening, Trump called Carter to talk about it. It was the first time they'd spoken, Carter said. He said Trump told him that he is particularly concerned about how China is "getting ahead of us."

Carter said he agreed with Trump on this issue.

"And do you know why?" Carter said. "I normalized diplomatic relations with China in 1979. Since 1979, do you know how many times China has been at war with anybody? None. And we have stayed at war," he said. (China and Vietnam actually fought a brief border war in early 1979, weeks after U.S. relations with China were normalized.)

Carter said the United States is "the most warlike nation in the history of the world" due to a desire to impose American values on other countries, and he suggested that China is investing its resources into projects such as high-speed railroads instead of defense spending.

"How many miles of high-speed railroad do we have in this country?"

Zero, the congregation answered.

"We have wasted, I think, $3 trillion," Carter said, referring to American military spending. "China has not wasted a single penny on war, and that's why they're ahead of us. In almost every way.

"And I think the difference is if you take $3 trillion and put it in American infrastructure, you'd probably have $2 trillion left over. We'd have high-speed railroad. We'd have bridges that aren't collapsing. We'd have roads that are maintained properly. Our education system would be as good as that of, say, South Korea or Hong Kong...…...

Much of Carter's Palm Sunday lesson was focused on peace and kindness

1 hour ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

And. it is a terrible terrible abuse of that sacrifice when the media publishes fake news and uses that freedom for political purposes. 

Do you think that is done willfully and regularly.  And in the same sentence, please try to explain FOX willfully and regularly dispensing nonsense.  

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Do you think that is done willfully and regularly.  And in the same sentence, please try to explain FOX willfully and regularly dispensing nonsense.  

Not to mention the *resident of the United Snakes regularly dispensing bullshit.

18 hours ago, Rat's ass said:

WTF are you on about, so now I'm a Trump follower? :huh:

For some reason, you’re going out of your way to look like you’re flirting with it.

13 minutes ago, Lark said:

Trump has found wisdom, though his base may call it desperation.   He consulted President Carter about China.   

On Saturday evening, Trump called Carter to talk about it. It was the first time they'd spoken, Carter said. He said Trump told him that he is particularly concerned about how China is "getting ahead of us."

"And do you know why?" Carter said. "I normalized diplomatic relations with China in 1979. Since 1979, do you know how many times China has been at war with anybody? None. And we have stayed at war," he said. (China and Vietnam actually fought a brief border war in early 1979, weeks after U.S. relations with China were normalized.)

Carter said the United States is "the most warlike nation in the history of the world" due to a desire to impose American values on other countries, and he suggested that China is investing its resources into projects such as high-speed railroads instead of defense spending.

"We have wasted, I think, $3 trillion," Carter said, referring to American military spending. "China has not wasted a single penny on war, and that's why they're ahead of us. In almost every way.

"And I think the difference is if you take $3 trillion and put it in American infrastructure, you'd probably have $2 trillion left over. We'd have high-speed railroad. We'd have bridges that aren't collapsing. We'd have roads that are maintained properly. Our education system would be as good as that of, say, South Korea or Hong Kong...…...

Good for Carter.

9 minutes ago, Lark said:

Why?  Why would Trump call Carter?  I'm confused.  Carter's what, 94.  Seriously, and I love the guy and think he was our smartest and worst President, but why call Jimmy?  I suck at shit like this, but I could do a better job with this president as I would make sure what he thought was a phone is a TV remote control with zero batteries.  

Just now, Amati said:

For some reason, you’re going out of your way to look like you’re flirting with rolling in it.

More descriptive.

7 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Why?  Why would Trump call Carter?  I'm confused.  Carter's what, 94.  Seriously, and I love the guy and think he was our smartest and worst President, but why call Jimmy?  I suck at shit like this, but I could do a better job with this president as I would make sure what he thought was a phone is a TV remote control with zero batteries.  

Agree on all of the above (except worst.  I barely remember him except as an already old ex President speaking on campus many years ago.   Clearly Trump and Bush the Lessor are / were worse.)   The article says Trump responded to a 'very nice letter' President Carter wrote him.   Trump would be wise to consult half the people on this forum, my old dog, and several living (or dead) former Presidents.  All of them are better sources of wisdom then his usual council.  The only council worse then that which Trump currently avails himself to would be if he started keeping his own council.

Worst because he was very naive and loaded his cabinet with the same.  Ronnie was a fraction of Carter mentally, but his cabinet was A1.  Baker was singularly impressive.  

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Worst because he was very naive and loaded his cabinet with the same.  Ronnie was a fraction of Carter mentally, but his cabinet was A1.  Baker was singularly impressive.  

Like I said, before my time as an astute political watcher (big bird doesn't count).   I'm biased by Carter's autobiography, which made a decent audio book choice from the library when I had a pre podcast work trip.   My recollection of his speaking at my school was the realization that selecting a good Christian was a bad choice if you wanted a good President.  I've since realized bad Christians also make piss poor presidents.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

More descriptive.

?

2 hours ago, Lark said:

Like I said, before my time as an astute political watcher (big bird doesn't count).   I'm biased by Carter's autobiography, which made a decent audio book choice from the library when I had a pre podcast work trip.   My recollection of his speaking at my school was the realization that selecting a good Christian was a bad choice if you wanted a good President.  I've since realized bad Christians also make piss poor presidents.   

The suit, don't  touch the suit...or the hair.  Saint something...

On 4/15/2019 at 4:45 AM, Navig8tor said:

I feel for the salt of the earth people like the farmers that have grafted hard

The number of commercial farmers who actually do any grafting is pretty miniscule.

Mostly it's rare fruit tree enthusiasts like my father. He taught me to do it but I haven't in years. I still have his tools and old articles on the subject he wrote and have a couple of target trees in mind. Will that make me salt of the earth?

Commercial or not the people that till nurture and deliver to us various foods albeit through middlemen driving down the price of their toil deserve a lot more respect than they are given.

I see a day where collectively they are forced to give up their endeavours because someone somewhere in the world will be able to do it cheaper.

A global economy, adapt or change.

For the people that have grown up making a living of the land an already tough gig just keeps on getting tougher.

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Why?  Why would Trump call Carter?  

Trump was just sundowning. It's a common symptom of dementia.

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:
9 hours ago, Lark said:

The suit, don't  touch the suit...or the hair.  Saint something...

I'm not sure why you'd say Carter was a bad President. He wasn't a particularly good one, for the most part because he was not a good persuader-in-chief and so his policies were resisted by many Democrats and almost all Republicans (back then the split was not quite so universal).

Carter's press has been written by Reagan's flacks, so of course they paint him as a disaster in tennis shoes. His worse characteristic was micromanaging but he was a smart man and mostly had good ideas about how to run things. His concept of basing foreign policy on principle was a high point in US history IMHO

Which of his books did you read? I've read several and liked them.

-DSK

I think most of Carter's bad press stems from the failure of the Iran hostage rescue effort on his watch. I remember feeling crushed when that chopper went down because a former Navy shipmate was a hostage.

Reagan parlayed that national disappointment and the subsequent timing of their release into major political capital, regardless of how un-deserved.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I think most of Carter's bad press stems from the failure of the Iran hostage rescue effort on his watch. I remember feeling crushed when that chopper went down because a former Navy shipmate was a hostage.

Reagan parlayed that national disappointment and the subsequent timing of their release into major political capital, regardless of how un-deserved.

Carter = Malaise

On 4/15/2019 at 8:06 AM, SloopJonB said:

That superbly illustrates your level of economic understanding.

I'd say winning could be defined as morons like you not having any say in the selection of political leadership.

You can always tell a Republican, but you can't tell him much.

5 hours ago, J28 said:
5 hours ago, Willin' said:

Carter = Malaise

Carter = trying to deal with the downslope of the Texas oil peak, and the aftermath of Nixon's war debt plus price freezes. (and yeah the Desert One disaster was -his- failure of leadership)

Ford = Whip Inflation Now

Reagan = Stagflation, so let's deregulate our way out of it

George H.W. Bush = Read My Lips!! but wait, we have to do something about this debt mountain!

Funny how easy it is to come up with one-phrase summaries that accurately reflect history...... if you know enough and actually WANT the facts

-DSK

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm not sure why you'd say Carter was a bad President. He wasn't a particularly good one, for the most part because he was not a good persuader-in-chief and so his policies were resisted by many Democrats and almost all Republicans (back then the split was not quite so universal).

Carter's press has been written by Reagan's flacks, so of course they paint him as a disaster in tennis shoes. His worse characteristic was micromanaging but he was a smart man and mostly had good ideas about how to run things. His concept of basing foreign policy on principle was a high point in US history IMHO

Which of his books did you read? I've read several and liked them.

-DSK

His speech back in college was of a good man trying to live by the 10 commandments of Moses.   I think he tried to govern by the parables, including turning the  other cheek or not living like the rich farmer.   This would be a great philosophy for living in a great world, but not a good way to flourish in our cutthroat brane.   The values of Jesus have historically had no place in American policy.

I don’t remember what I read or listened to.   I remember the disapproving look of the conservative small town librarian.   I still had a cassette player in the truck.   Carter talked of growing up in one of the richest families of one of the poorest parts of the country, still poor by most standards.   A car driving down the road was a noteworthy event.   He talked of his dad never stopping working from bed to bed.  He talked of the understood racism he grew up in, and how his understanding of humanity changed as he was forced apart from a childhood friend because of skin color,   I found his recollections inspiring,  

• Like 1

Someone made a now famous comment after Carter's term that summed him up perfectly and succinctly.

He was too good a man to be a good President.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 8:09 PM, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

Ever hear the expression you get what you pay for?  They died for Press Freedom not free press. 

Why do you hate FOX news?? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gouvernail said:
On 4/15/2019 at 6:09 PM, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

Why do you hate FOX news?? 

Well it ain't working for you.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, benwynn said:

That's because you always'y trust your government. At least under this administration.

Half of your posts anymore Ben are replies to Malarkey's nonsense. Your scope has diminished around here. How about some original content? 

10 hours ago, Hard On The Wind said:

Half of your posts anymore Ben are replies to Malarkey's nonsense. Your scope has diminished around here. How about some original content? 

My replies to Malarkey's nonsense may actually be more than half my posts, and I feel no obligation to anyone here regarding what I post.