Fakenews

Notre Dame is burning to the ground

VWAP has a solution that is interesting but...... there is a stone roof over the church interior (I understand part of it collapsed when the spire fell).  So all that light will do is illuminate the top of some rocks, not the interior of the church. 

The part of the roof that burned (except for the spire and some collateral damage) is entirely hidden from public view.  I say replace the oak with steel trusses and remove the fire hazard completely. 

1 hour ago, bugger said:

VWAP has a solution that is interesting but...... there is a stone roof over the church interior (I understand part of it collapsed when the spire fell).  So all that light will do is illuminate the top of some rocks, not the interior of the church. 

The part of the roof that burned (except for the spire and some collateral damage) is entirely hidden from public view.  I say replace the oak with steel trusses and remove the fire hazard completely. 

no steel,  will have to keep repainting that shit..     engineered beams,  will be lighter, easier to build before hand, no old growth cut down...

A couple years ago a safety study made the obvious recommendation of installing sprinklers under the roof - the main concern was fire due to lightning strike, as it happened in the past to various cathedrals. But the French Minister of Culture at the time (Audrey Azoulay, presently UNESCO Director General) buried it.

It appears the government wanted to raise funds by introducing an entry ticket, but the Bishop vetoed it on spiritual grounds - other than for access to the two towers

On 4/17/2019 at 8:02 AM, SailBlueH2O said:

Yes impossible savor ...find a moment when you can stand back and take in the art and some fool walks up right in front of your face....it is too much for me....South America is on my bucket list before it too is crushed by tourism

Apparently SA will get crushed by racism first. Anglo farmers are getting mutilated or killed every night it seems. Farms are being "colonized" nonstop. 

I am not making a political  wrong/right statement, only what is happening.

39 minutes ago, warbird said:

Anglo farmers are getting mutilated or killed every night it seems. Farms are being "colonized" nonstop. 

In South America?  Or anywhere in the world?  Please share source

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

South Africa

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

image.png.07c4297c3cc2a8170def1a978a032fa6.png

2 hours ago, warbird said:

South Africa

How did you get on that subject from a comment that said "South America is on my bucket list before it too is crushed by tourism" 

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

How did you get on that subject from a comment that said "South America is on my bucket list before it too is crushed by tourism" 

Go easy on the old bird.  He gets confused sometimes, the Warbird is no spring chicken.

On 4/21/2019 at 9:07 PM, Left Shift said:

Terne metal, possibly terne coated stainless steel sheet.  My guess.  

Ah, and IMO a damn good one. Never heard of that stuff before. Learn something new every day.  

On 4/22/2019 at 10:17 PM, VWAP said:

Ludicrous, but what do you expect.  Without a doubt introducing "natural light" into a space that is lit be some of the most remarkable stained glass windows is absurd beyond belief.

th.jpeg.8e462bef4370f7fb7fbd4ce606b2191f.jpeg

Also demonstrating that they aren't all that familiar with the construction of gothic stone vaulting  - there's a stone vaulted roof under that glass and without it, the grandeur and aspirations of the 12th Century engineering and design is lost  .....

ceiling-14625D977E029E2EF77.thumb.jpg.ae58fbd0541fecbd2d5c9a22530eaba8.jpg

Or have their egos inflated even beyond what Sir Norman could be expected to display.  After all, he was the guy who decided that the Centre Pompidou needed four dummy HVAC units (out of 7) on the roof to make it look more energetically "industrial".

centre-pompidou-paris-france-D2CA50.thumb.jpg.1f6bc3b69927686e5fe5c3f16f898b41.jpg

In this case, Brexit can't come fast enough.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Stained glass is best seen when there is a huge lighting contrast between the backlighting and the viewer's vantage point. Bright interior will really screw up the view.  And I'd guess the interior will bake like a greenhouse in the Parisian summer.  

• Like 1