Sign in to follow this  
voodoochile

J70 mast jack fail/vid. credit to Mudratz Racing

1 minute ago, Locus said:

Pretty sure its a M24

yes, it was a Melges 24. the mast crane failed at 17+ knots. Last race of the regatta.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

What does a mast jack have to do with this?

Probably nothing: I see the mast crane separate, resulting in a slack backstay.... bang.

• Like 3

Mast crane for sure let go and it was all downhill from there. I don't think the Melges 32 even has a mast jack.

SA says otherwise.

I liked that scything motion at the end.

32 most definitely has a mast jack. Thread title should be edited. Bit unfair to J Boats. And I am a Melges guy. 

Would be interesting to know the age of the boat and rig in the 24. White mast, usually older. A forgettable end to what looked like a fast kite run. 

M32 most definitely has a mast jack and I know of at least one hull that failed due in part to its use.

2 hours ago, bloodshot said:

M32 most definitely has a mast jack and I know of at least one hull that failed due in part to its use.

And What The Fuck Does this Have To Do With A MELGES 24, other than being marketed by Melges?  There is not a single Melges 24 with a Mast Jack.  Do you even have a fucking clue what a mast jack is?!

• Like 1

^^^ This. Mast *crane*, not *jack*

And the kids are alright.

8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Mast crane for sure let go and it was all downhill from there. I don't think the Melges 32 even has a mast jack.

SA says otherwise.

So true I have a melges 30 the only difference is the rudder, overlapping head sails rotating bow sprit the same length as a 32 and a 3ft shorter mast.

10 hours ago, silent bob said:

And What The Fuck Does this Have To Do With A MELGES 24, other than being marketed by Melges?  There is not a single Melges 24 with a Mast Jack.  Do you even have a fucking clue what a mast jack is?!

my cat's breath smells like cat food

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bloodshot said:

my cat's breath smells like cat food

That is as wrong as a multihull in the S2H.

And my wife said its a crane but I think its a heron.

14 hours ago, Elusive36051 said:

So true I have a melges 30 the only difference is the rudder, overlapping head sails rotating bow sprit the same length as a 32 and a 3ft shorter mast.

I didn't know there were any left. What do you do to keep the keel from failing in rolling shear in waves?

The J70 rig is way over built. It has to be 30-50% heavier than a M24 rig.   Not to mention that the rig on that boat is pre-2004. Not as stiff. 

Have any J70’dropped a rig?

10 hours ago, fastyacht said:

I didn't know there were any left. What do you do to keep the keel from failing in rolling shear in waves?

The newer 30s have the same keel as the 32s.

There are 4 that I know of one up on the great lakes usa105 in Charleston raced by the collage and mine usa103 and one in Hawaii but it's been converted to a 32 mast.

The one that went to Hawaii won her call in the last trans Pacific race.

• Like 1

I think that Dolly Parton is an excellent country singer!

On 4/15/2019 at 5:01 PM, voodoochile said:

Saw this on FB.. Pied Piper/Mudratz epic mast fail.  Had to be fun up til then.  

Nothing to do with crane, or ram or whatever. Just bad steering. Stuffing the bow in the drink at that speed is not rig friendly...

3 hours ago, Plumber said:

Nothing to do with crane, or ram or whatever. Just bad steering. Stuffing the bow in the drink at that speed is not rig friendly...

We stuff the bow in a melges a fair bit. He was driving through the wake of a boat in front. Failures happen because these are light boats, for speed and fun. If a sea slug stuffed the bow at 17knots falling off a wave I wouldn't expect it to come up as easy as a melges 24.  I've been more terrified of shit breaking on cruiser/racers than our melges.