Sign in to follow this  
JSoup

J/105 Companionway trim

No luck over on Fix Anarchy - try here:

We are in need of a new trim piece that holds up the edge of the headliner where it meets the companionway.  I've been trying to get an answer out of Waterlines without success so far.  Is there an supplier of a pliable material so that I can just fabricate by own?  Any other options?  Thank you - Eric

goto mcmasters carr to see if they have the product and if you have someone who can mill it

Do it yourself or someone local.  Use marine grade plywood, make sure it is treated.  We have replaced our headliner due to an old drip that soaked the interior part of the liner.  We thinks a boatyard skimped on the fix.

Match the vinyl covering...

I must not be using the right term, this is not vinyl covered plywood or something you would mill.  The trim is an 15’ L-shaped plastic trim piece formed to fit the corner radius’ at the forward end of the companionway. I’ve attached a photo from Waterlines, but they don’t seem to want to sell it to me.https://www.waterlinesystems.com/new-products/j105-companionway-trim-15-long

7A49ECDE-FD29-4C61-A9E0-842E9A623C22.png

Sorry, I get it.  We re-installed some of those molding parts early last year.  Let me find out where we got the material.

I will check it this weekend...

Soup,  

Let me know what you find. "Abstract" may need a piece too.  We could "mill" our own.  Just need to clear a little area in my barn:)  Add beer and we're good.  Beer and table saw...what could possibly go wrong?

How about going over to TAP Plastics (on Sandy Blvd), getting a strip of white acrylic, then cutting it to width, then bend with a heat gun?

Or, RBS might have some thermoplastic of the right thickness. I'd have to check.

I figured TAP would work, but they don't have anything even close, they sent me to Calsak Plastics who told me to check with the boat manufacturer, so full circle with no luck.  The L-shape is important to hold the headliner back up and to cleanup the aesthetic of that area.  Waterlines was very disappointing, I e-mailed them initially, then followed up with 4 (!) calls before they finally told me they could only get it in "like 7000' lengths".  It's kind of crazy because you have to remove that trim to access under the headliner, which you have to do to replace any cabin top hardware.  Our old trim was falling off on the portside but was so attached on the starboard side that I had to chip it off, taking some gelcoat with it.   

Jordan - I think you are thinking of the hatch sliders, and yes aluminum is great for that.  This is not that.  

I am double checking.

I know that when we ran some wires and we wanted to encase them we used a three sided plastic molding, couldn't find anything marine grade so we milled a side off for the molding part for the job you are doing.  

Still hoping for an answer on this - the electrical tape trim isn’t going to last foreverr

Jsoup - The weather here sucks and the boat delivery is put off until next week.  I have been out of town for 2 weeks so I will photograph and give you the details when shortly.