MalahideGreener

Weather Routing Apps on iOS

Anyone got any recommendations for good weather routing apps on iOS? Don't mind paying for a decent one.

Cheers

5 hours ago, MalahideGreener said:

Anyone got any recommendations for good weather routing apps on iOS? Don't mind paying for a decent one.

Cheers

Predictwind.com Pro Version.

• Like 1

10th, does Windfinder have the ability to do weather routing? Is there any chance that it does the routing on the phone, or is the routing done at a the landbased location and then forwarded as a grib? This is key in terms of legality for certain races.

57 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Windfinder pro. 

Very pretty pictures. But, I don't see any routing function.

Here is an alternate to PW.

http://www.avalon-routing.com

As an aside, I have been a PW pro user for.....well a long time.  I have my ups and downs with their product both in iphone, ipad and laptop modes, and I may well be their strongest antagonist when it comes to questioning their proprietary algorithm.  But, I do keep coming back to use it for long range big picture views, and in conjunction with Exp.  Plus, the PW Offshore app is currently the only way to get Euro model info in the states.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Here is an alternate to PW.

http://www.avalon-routing.com

Good find, that certainly looks interesting. Very complete and attractive pricing too.

It even looks like it will integrate with Navionics app charts, which OpenCPN does not AFAIK.

Cannot find anything on satellite overlays though, that is absolutely essential in reef infested waters. Anyone knows? Anyone actually using the app?

Weather routing (and everything else) is pretty good on OpenCPN actually, and runs off-line as well.

Does not run easily on IOS though, so you might have to invest in a $100 Android phone or tablet. :o

Aaah, sorry no. Windfinder‘s routing features are less than basic and will not work offline. 

Sailgrib wr on android.. ya it ain't Apple but if you get a Samsung galaxy tab active or tab active 2 for a few hundred bux, you have a an awesome waterproof tool with a lot of functionality.  I rigged a chest harness for mine adapting a gopro harness for 8 bux, I have it strapped to me and can pull up navionics, interface with the boat instruments as well.

Sailgrib is huge for little money.  Great tool.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:48 PM, Moonduster said:

Splashtop.

Just add a PC and Expedition.

Just put boot camp on your MacBook and run win 10 (use a 64 GB partition) and Expedition.  

Just put boot camp Parallels on your MacBook and run win 10 (use a 64 GB partition) and Expedition.

But the reality is that far more people use PCs than Macs on board, probably because one can purchase decent PC notebooks at disposable prices or get a ruggedized PC for about the price of a Macbook. And the original question was about an iOS device, not a MacOS device.

Anyone used iNavX with the Weather 4D overlay?

On 4/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, Moonduster said:

Splashtop.

OP was asking about an app for an iOS device, not a PC. 

Splashtop is remote desktop software. You run the client on the iOS device and the server on your PC. The PC stays at the nav station and the iOS device gets soaking wet.

1 hour ago, Moonduster said:

Splashtop is remote desktop software. You run the client on the iOS device and the server on your PC. The PC stays at the nav station and the iOS device gets soaking wet.

Thank you Captain Obvious!

Some news from Avalon Offshore (thats works on iOS and Android).

Not sure this should be announced on this forum but there is now a version of the product freely available on the web here. (currently works for East Coast and Gulf of Mexico)

https://www.webrouter.avalon-routing.com/

It is a very easy to use version of Avalon Offshore (with limited options), that will work for daily coastal cruises.... and will display synchronized marine weather forecast together with the optimized route 

Phil

1411825854_Capturedecran2020-03-24a12_01_05.thumb.png.89ee750ff4bf84b9c535a1a945ecfd54.png

Just added: USA West Coast and UK (w/o Ireland).

Next to come: Ireland and Iberia (Spain+Portugal)

Phil

TimeZero iBoat. Which also allows for planning your route on a PC and use the route on your iPad. The link to their website: 
https://mytimezero.com/tz-iboat

Beneficial: they serve large maps at competitive prices (cheaper then iSailor after Wartsila took them over; and screwed all previous users over with lifetime free updates to the purchased maps..)

On 4/18/2019 at 1:52 PM, Hitchhiker said:

As an aside, I have been a PW pro user for.....well a long time.  I have my ups and downs with their product both in iphone, ipad and laptop modes, and I may well be their strongest antagonist when it comes to questioning their proprietary algorithm.  But, I do keep coming back to use it for long range big picture views, and in conjunction with Exp.  Plus, the PW Offshore app is currently the only way to get Euro model info in the states.

Hitch, you might look into Squid here: https://www.squid-sailing.com/en/ it also provides access to the Euro model and has good integration into Expedition. Similar pricing, unfortunately.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, Moonduster said:

Splashtop.

Moon has good advice here. There is routing, and then there is routing. Expedition or Adrena are way ahead of TimeZero or the handheld apps i've tried in this area. Much more flexibility and credibility IMO.