sadug

Saved the Rudder?

Pic was taken yesterday. That's the BAP Union way off in the distance.... 

A bunch of abandoned boats are anchored there.  You can see a few dozen of them on the bottom when you fly over.

I remember in high school, first time bringing the Cal40 into San Diego from Ensenada. 1967? 1968? My memory certainly isn't that intact!

Anyway, we came within a few feet of scraping right over the Zuniga jetty. That would have been ugly.

• Like 2

Sorry someone's boat hit the beach but that picture has a lot going for it. Square rigger peeking in from the left, sunlight glinting off the water, billiard table smooth sand and the somewhat weedy rudder adding so much to the scene. So, it's ok, go ahead and fess up: you staged the whole thing, no?

Haha - I shall never tell :) But yeah you are so right - so much going on there. Pic was taken Wed btw, not yesterday - I need to stop working so much....

• Like 1

You really should add the photo to Google maps.

Were they able to get it off the beach?

5 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I remember in high school, first time bringing the Cal40 into San Diego from Ensenada. 1967? 1968? My memory certainly isn't that intact!

Anyway, we came within a few feet of scraping right over the Zuniga jetty. That would have been ugly.

I think I saved someone from that fate back around 1980 or so.   Sailing the Santana 20 back after a day of racing off Hotel Del, a cruiser was motoring right for it.  My crew and I started yelling and jesturing to them to go around. He figured it out just in time.  IIRC John Wayne’s captain drove Wild Goose over the Zuniga BITD. 

From Dan Sullivan on the SD Windsurfers Facebook page; They broke off their anchor at zuniga and panicked. It's a hank on sail so they probably raised it in an emergency and made it worse.  They were also scabby faced tweakers so not particularly surprising.

Apparently, Dan was also bitten by their german shepherd on the beach in front of the cops.

Amazing all the carnage Zuniga causes.  It's really just about the only non-totally-obvious trouble you can get in in SD bay north of the Coronado bridge so long as you keep clear of the big ships in the channel.  We're pretty blessed.  Missed my sail today, but almost every week we go out there's at least one tall ship under sail.  Last week we sailed through a nice pod of Pacific white-sided dolphins.  Life is good.  Stay off the hard drugs and keep clear of the f-ing jetty.  

On 4/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, sadug said:

San Diego......

Coronado.jpg

Ok, send the dinghy back out for the bow!

- Stumbling

If I remember from another thread it is called a rutter

Sometimes you just gotta know when to walk away!?!

On 4/19/2019 at 5:10 PM, fastyacht said:

Any day you see a 4 masted Bark on the horizon is a good day.

+1.

Yeah she was absolutely beautiful. Weird seeing it next to the big Disney boat. 

BAP1.jpg

BAP2.jpg

BAP3.jpg

BAP4.jpg

BAP5.jpg

BAP6.jpg

BAP7.jpg

Last four, without the pigboat" work, thanks. Will PS the bad out of the first, if I can.

1 hour ago, sadug said:

How's this BobBill?

BAP8.jpg

Thanks, So soothing...I can smell the sea.