Clove Hitch

Mex. Army disarms US troops

We can all applaud the brave Mexican troops that confronted and disarmed the US Army;.   American troops don't belong on the border per the Posse Comitatus law.  Also, following unlawful orders is no excuse, as the Nazi's found out.  So it's good that the US troops let themselves be disarmed, even though they were on US soil. 

Let's hope the Mexican army continues to disarm US troops and provide moral leadership on the border.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/politics/mexican-troops-american-soldiers-border/index.html

FragrantKnobbyJenny-size_restricted.gif

Why do you want to propagate blatant BS?  The situation as articulated in your cited article is much different than the perception you attempted to create. 

Mebbe I'm missing something - if so, square me away.  

Why do some hate AMERICA and its military would be the better question?  

That is the only way to read someone gleefully posted such a misleading headline that attempts to  insult the abilities of the US army. 

41 minutes ago, The Joker said:

That is the only way to read someone gleefully posted such a misleading headline that attempts to  insult the abilities of the US army. 

Dunno, ask an Iraqi, or a nth Vietnamese Grandma, or and afghan bride.

• Like 1

Unsurprising. An opinion opposed to the use of federal troops within our country to enforce domestic laws is expressed by a citizen, and there are suddenly righties labeling that person an undesirable and unAmerican.

Nothing could be more American than being aware of your rights and demanding they be respected. Trumpaloos should learn this lest they find themselves aiding the degradation of the Constitutionally protected rights.

The troops were not in uniform, were armed, were south of the border wall but north of the Rio grande in an area where the border line is fluid... the Mexican troops though they were/had been in Mexico. It was a nuanced situation and the Posse Comitatas Act definitely prohibits Federal trips from assisting the search & seizure & apprehension within our borders unless made legal by law or situation.

The armed incursion of Federal troops in civilian garb into Mexico would have been... interesting. Good thing cooler heads prevailed. But this sort of thing is now more likely given that the Defense Department is looking to help out the Border patrol with surveillance, to free CPB up for enforcement duties.

Since Trump has declared an emergency, however, he can suspend the Posse Comitatas Act and use armed federal troops in this matter. Yes, he is free to violate a basic American law and tradition. He can next demand that locals on the border give up their land to the US government and insist they house federal troops with or without compensation. He can impose martial law and prevent assembly, free speech and due process along the border as well. Cause it’s “an emergency.”

But along come the Trump lovers to say that @Clove Hitch is unAmerican for pointing out the violation of the spirit of American law and a clear violation of our traditions. Some citizens are losing fundamental rights thanks to the border “emergency”, and the Joker applauds Trump and insults those defending our rights. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

When I read the story, I was struck by three things -

1)  I'm glad both groups acted like people actually trained in combat with some modicum of experience.

2)  I'm glad the US serviceman could speak a bit of Spanish - validation that a multiethinic military combined with a foreign language requirement in high school is probably a good thing.

3)  Why are active duty US soldiers driving around the border in unmarked cars?  Serious.. $650+ billion dollars and you're renting from AVIS?  WTF?  They're ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIERS.  Put em in a freaking Humvee or get them off the border. (edit:  BTW, I'm sure there's a thousand reasons why running around in an unmarked vehicle might be a good thing - like not terrifying some poor mom trying to sneak across the border, but Soldiers should be soldiering - this whole incident is emblematic of trying to use the wrong tool for the wrong job).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

When I read the story, I was struck by three things -

1)  I'm glad both groups acted like people actually trained in combat and some modicum of experience.

2)  I'm glad the US serviceman could speak a bit of Spanish - validation that a multiethinic military combined with a foreign language requirement in high school is probably a good thing.

3)  Why are active duty US soldiers driving around the border in unmarked cars?  Serious.. $650+ billion dollars and you're renting from AVIS?  WTF?  They're ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIERS.  Put em in a freaking Humvee or get them off the border. (edit:  BTW, I'm sure there's a thousand reasons why running around in an unmarked vehicle might be a good thing - like not terrifying some poor mom trying to sneak across the border, but Soldiers should be soldiering - this whole incident is emblematic of trying to use the wrong tool for the wrong job).

There is something to be said for the practicality of using Avis' car, not one we taxpayers own, to beat around on a dry riverbed. Drive it like you stole it!

But now we're going to see something on rental policies about swearing not to use it in any military operation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Unsurprising. An opinion opposed to the use of federal troops within our country to enforce domestic laws is expressed by a citizen, and there are suddenly righties labeling that person an undesirable and unAmerican.

Nothing could be more American than being aware of your rights and demanding they be respected. Trumpaloos should learn this lest they find themselves aiding the degradation of the Constitutionally protected rights.

The troops were not in uniform, were armed, were south of the border wall but north of the Rio grande in an area where the border line is fluid... the Mexican troops though they were/had been in Mexico. It was a nuanced situation and the Posse Comitatas Act definitely prohibits Federal trips from assisting the search & seizure & apprehension within our borders unless made legal by law or situation.

The armed incursion of Federal troops in civilian garb into Mexico would have been... interesting. Good thing cooler heads prevailed. But this sort of thing is now more likely given that the Defense Department is looking to help out the Border patrol with surveillance, to free CPB up for enforcement duties.

Since Trump has declared an emergency, however, he can suspend the Posse Comitatas Act and use armed federal troops in this matter. Yes, he is free to violate a basic American law and tradition. He can next demand that locals on the border give up their land to the US government and insist they house federal troops with or without compensation. He can impose martial law and prevent assembly, free speech and due process along the border as well. Cause it’s “an emergency.”

But along come the Trump lovers to say that @Clove Hitch is unAmerican for pointing out the violation of the spirit of American law and a clear violation of our traditions. Some citizens are losing fundamental rights thanks to the border “emergency”, and the Joker applauds Trump and insults those defending our rights. 

where does it say the troops were not in uniform?

4 hours ago, phillysailor said:

If your post was the OP you would be correct BUT it wasn’t.  The op stated 

We can all applaud the brave Mexican troops that confronted and disarmed the US Army

Fuck Clove Hitch. I will not applaud the Mexican Troops nor will I fly the Mexican flag.

Those Mexican Troops were in American territory they were the ones breaking the law.  

The smart American Troops stayed calm and defused the situation  

As to the unmarked car  It was a border patrol car not some civilian car.  Any unmarked car upon closer inspection will still clearly belong to law enforcement.  

I too would like to know where you read that they were not in uniform  

If you insult American Troops FOR doing the job they are deployed to do you ARE UNAMERICAN 

Complain about the mission, complain about Trump No Problem.  

Insult my country’s soldiers - Eat Shit and Die .  

Post a waving Mexican Flag to make your point - go to Hell  

You Bring up  Posse Comitatas Act and then admit that the president has every right to waive it. 

Where was the outrage when Obama sent troops to the border?

Obama troops

Oh wait he was a Democrat so no problem 

6 hours ago, The Joker said:

I think that a more interesting question, is why is that border being increasingly militarized?

Mexico is a key trading partner and friend to the USA. Good neighbors have a ceremonial fence between their ranches, and they don't treat each other as enemies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I think that a more interesting question, is why is that border being increasingly militarized?

Mexico is a key trading partner and friend to the USA. Good neighbors don't treat each other as enemies.

I agree and have no problem with someone wanting to debate that.  

Again that is not what the headline and what the OP attempted to do.

It distorted the facts to insult the US and the military. 

7 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It's like you've got the propaganda bullet points right at your finger tips Comrade Joker. 3 am and 9 am ET? Midngiht and 6 am? uh huh, sure......

Yep you nailed it.  I’m a Russian Bot. 

I heard Walmart has a sale going on tin foil. You better start stocking up. 

11 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It's like you've got the propaganda bullet points right at your finger tips Comrade Joker. 3 am and 9 am ET? Midngiht and 6 am? uh huh, sure......

Jesus that’s SAD.

Then he has the balls to pretend to be a patriot, lecture us about patriotism, all while being a Russian useful idiot.

It’s a disgrace that he is allowed to spew his disinformation here.

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

Maybe the stress of a gradual, creeping militarization with Mexico distorts the way we see things like that?

If you don't want a militarized border with Mexico, and if I don't want a militarized border with Mexico, how can we most easily hire public servants who enact our will?

If there is a terrorist in Mexico, I would prefer Mexican Intelligence in the CISEN be motivated to prevent that person from heading northward.

Even in the Old Testament days, Ezekiel 38 suggested that cities without walls were the truly strong cities, because the inhabitants "lived securely" without the kind of fear that prompts fearful people to build walls.

In response to posters pointing it out... there was no mention of the uniforms or dress of the US soldiers. I read the "unmarked car" and wrote my post in the wee hours and typed an error.

16 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Jesus that’s SAD.

Then he has the balls to pretend to be a patriot, lecture us about patriotism, all while being a Russian useful idiot.

It’s a disgrace that he is allowed to spew his disinformation here.

I heard it’s a big sale - Huge.  Head on over your hat is getting a bit thin 

Just now, phillysailor said:

In response to posters pointing it out... there was no mention of the uniforms or dress of the US soldiers. I read the "unmarked car" and wrote my post in the wee hours and typed an error.

Be careful. You might be labeled a Russian Bot. 

We all make those errors. Very few here admit it.  

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, The Joker said:

nah, you are too stupid to be a bot. but your "details" are too full of bullshit to be real.

29 minutes ago, The Joker said:

You have no moral compass, so spare me the outrage.  

Just read while your betters discuss things. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Be careful. You might be labeled a Russian Bot. 

We all make those errors. Very few here admit it.  

Thanks 

Admitting errors or revising judgement is probably the easiest way to be identified as not a bot

4 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

You have no moral compass, so spare me the outrage.  

Just read while your betters discuss things. 

Coming from someone who just lied about the facts to insult American soldiers,  discussing any moral compass rings fucking hollow  

12 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

got it.

seems everyone is missing the obvious - the mexican army patrolling the border

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Coming from someone who just lied about the facts to insult American soldiers,  discussing any moral compass rings fucking hollow  

damn straight - no one insults the Motherland like that!

Joker is just wrapping himself in the flag while ignoring the enormous breaches in national security made daily occurrence by the Trump administration. By weakening alliances, empowering dictators, paying Saudis to wage war on Yemen despite bipartisan opposition, declaring frivolous emergencies and government shutdowns, encouraging or tolerating widespread lying by administration officials on security clearance forms, requesting that his aides and administration obstruct investigations of foreign governments meddling with our social networks and elections, firing those who prevent him from breaking the law, imposing his views on sexual identity on the armed forces despite their chosen policy and encouraging CPB forces break the law when dealing with migrants, Trump is our national security threat.

Expounding further on the desire to deal harshly with asylum seekers, he told reporters “our military, don’t forget, can’t act like a military would act. Because if they got a little rough, everybody would go crazy.”

And why couldn't troops be vicious on the border against the huddled masses yearning to breathe free, why couldn't US Army soldiers be ordered to shoot and kill the wretched refuse of other teeming shores escaping terrible conditions at home? “They have all these horrible laws that the Democrats won’t change [and] they will not change them,” the president said.

These are the unAmerican ideals we are resisting.

• Like 1

I'd rather have the army down there in a supporting role than those dumbass militias

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

Joker is just wrapping himself in the flag while ignoring the enormous breaches in national security made daily occurrence by the Trump administration. By weakening alliances, empowering dictators, paying Saudis to wage war on Yemen despite bipartisan opposition, declaring frivolous emergencies and government shutdowns, encouraging or tolerating widespread lying by administration officials on security clearance forms, requesting that his aides and administration obstruct investigations of foreign governments meddling with our social networks and elections, firing those who prevent him from breaking the law, imposing his views on sexual identity on the armed forces despite their chosen policy and encouraging CPB forces break the law when dealing with migrants, Trump is our national security threat.

Expounding further on the desire to deal harshly with asylum seekers, he told reporters “our military, don’t forget, can’t act like a military would act. Because if they got a little rough, everybody would go crazy.”

And why couldn't troops be vicious on the border against the huddled masses yearning to breathe free, why couldn't US Army soldiers be ordered to shoot and kill the wretched refuse of other teeming shores escaping terrible conditions at home? “They have all these horrible laws that the Democrats won’t change [and] they will not change them,” the president said.

These are the unAmerican ideals we are resisting.

I’m responding to one poster insulting the US military.  

You are trying to spin that into a attack on every pet peeve of the left.

I’m not ignoring or discussing the entire US Foreign policy only one person spinning a minor incident into a rant against this country and her soldiers.  

As to wrapping in a flag the only Flag posted is the Mexican one Clove wrapped around his anti military Ass in. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hermetic said:

I'd rather have the army down there in a supporting role than those dumbass militias

Plus 1.  

They never rolled out the Posse Comitatas Act when Obama put troops on the border. 

12 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

Blah, Blah,Blah.............................................

FFS. That had to be terrifying for the soldiers that were just doing their job.You applauding the Mexican army for crossing the border and pointing rifles at them is sickening. You are a twisted mofo. 

4 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:

There is something to be said for the practicality of using Avis' car, not one we taxpayers own, to beat around on a dry riverbed. Drive it like you stole it!

But now we're going to see something on rental policies about swearing not to use it in any military operation.

They were in honda Ridgelines 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F_L said:

FFS. That had to be terrifying for the soldiers that were just doing their job.You applauding the Mexican army for crossing the border and pointing rifles at them is sickening. You are a twisted mofo. 

If the US troops weren't violating Posse Comitatus and poking their noses where they don't belong they would not have gotten into trouble.  The only reason for our troops to be at the border is to disarm the crazed militias of Trump 'tards causing havoc and hassling asylum seekers. 

At any rate, I'm glad our troops complied with the Mexican's instructions.  Reminds me of those Navy plonkers that got lost in the Persian gulf and captured by Iranians.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

If the US troops weren't violating Posse Comitatus and poking their noses where they don't belong they would not have gotten into trouble.  The only reason for our troops to be at the border is to disarm the crazed militias of Trump 'tards causing havoc and hassling asylum seekers. 

At any rate, I'm glad our troops complied with the Mexican's instructions.  Reminds me of those Navy plonkers that got lost in the Persian gulf and captured by Iranians.  

Remember how the mouth breathers got all upset with that?

As I recall the Iranians behaved politely after the Navy critters were rounded up and broke bread with them over them an excellent dinner.  If an disabled Iranian design electric popped up off the coast  of Norfolk I bet Bolton himself would fly out to oversee its sinking and rendition of the sailors to Guantanamo and impose sanctions.

Kudo to both the Mexicans for exercising restraint and our troops for deescalating after an probable overstep.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hermetic said:

While I do get your point about how annoying some of the militia members can be, I can't agree with you here.

We really need to avoid militarization of that border. The militias don't cause a lot of problems, they're mostly just a bunch of Westerners who don't have the stomach to hunt and gut animals, but they still like guns and hanging with the other militia guys at the biker's bar.

(Do we even know if the uniformed, unofficial vehicle soldiers of this story were in any kind of official mission? For all we know they were just some Texans enjoying time off from their soldier jobs with a little militia fun?)

But when you militarize a border, you send a terrible message to the inhabitants of both sides. You're saying "we don't trust our neighbors."

The apparent reality is that the border between Mexico and the USA is becoming increasingly militerized. It just is. When I was a kid, that border was even less "secure" than the current Canadian border. And now a bunch of sailors are in this thread discussing Posse Comitatas. When folks in public forums start to discuss Posse Comitatas, you can be reasonably sure that all those involved do not see calm seas on the horizon.

We cannot allow our Southern border to be militarized because we need Mexico as a deep and eager alli in our fight against terrorism. And terrorism IS the reason were originally sold this expanded wall.

The reality of the Mexican Army and the Mexican Police is that they are pretty much the baddest motherfuckers on the planet. The Aztecs have unstoppably kicked global ass for 5000 years, and only lost one time, and that loss was to smallpox. Oh, and they lost to the USA back in 1843 and to Woodrow Wilson, but their population was still rebounding from the smallpox.

The Mexican Army and the Mexican Police have to be the baddest good guys on the planet because they fight the baddest bad guys on the planet. The Mexican cartels are so tough that if an Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorist even thinks about having to get into the USA through Mexico, they would be immediately filled with fear, because the Cartels don't fuck around with that bullshit. Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico ... these places are THEIR turf and they uphold the Aztec tradition as fervently as their ancestors. Aztecs fight for family, honor and ground, but they don't fight for politics and they never even cared that much about gold. Gold was for the Aztec man who couldn't manage himself in battle. Even today, you find a beautiful Aztec woman in a bar, she won't give you the time of day if you aren't a little battle scarred. Danny Trejo could probably pull a lot of trim if he wanted.

If a Cartel caught a terrorist, I can't imagine that they would have any patience for the guy. The best the terrorist could hope for is that the Cartel would kill him quick, because if they traded him to the Mexican Army or the Police, that poor fellow would soon think of Midnight Express as a day at the amusement park in comparison.

The USA needs to stay tight with Mexico. They are our close friend, we make a shit-ton of money on the land that we took from them. A Mexico that isn't our friend, will become a lethal and economically-powerful enemy. 

And you can ask most any boxer or wrestler in the world if they want to end up in combat against an Aztec. The answer will usually be something along the lines of "not if I can avoid it."

“The Rock” got his ass kicked in the movie The Rundown by a bunch of Aztec’s It was an entertaining fight sequence.

8 hours ago, hermetic said:

You're from NY, right?

So your dumbass militias are allowed to have a gun in the home and to carefully transport it to one local shooting range, but nowhere else.

Pretty darn useless, but every state doesn't have those stupid rules.

Yours might not either when the Supreme Court gets done.

7 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

I just read the Posse Comitatus. Act.  It doesn’t apply.  They are supporting federal border patrol agents to control drugs smuggling and prevent terrorists from crossing the border.  

I wonder which wacky website you got the idea that it applied 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act

Provide surveillance, intelligence gathering, observation, and equipment for domestic law enforcement on operations such as drug interdiction and counter-terrorism missions

12 hours ago, The Joker said:

I heard Walmart has a sale going on tin foil. You better start stocking up. 

:o ?

Using rental cars driving around the desert?  Well here in Texas we have:

Ranch roads

Farm to market roads

Rental roads. 

13 hours ago, hermetic said:

Speaking of “dumbass militias”, this one claims to be in touch with the President. If so, my money is on Stephen Miller pulling the strings. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/us/militia-arrest-border-new-mexico.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Speaking of “dumbass militias”, this one claims to be in touch with the President. If so, my money is on Stephen Miller pulling the strings. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/us/militia-arrest-border-new-mexico.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

This guy's ballcap is probably hiding a leaky valve stem. I'd put little faith in his reliable contact with a higher power.

"Speaking to someone using a voice distorter while wearing a gas mask, Mr. Hopkins appeared on a right-wing extremist YouTube channel in November. He claimed to be in touch with President Trump after a chance meeting at a Las Vegas casino."

Do not denigrate these Patriots. They will one day be the ones protecting us from an oppressive government. dogballs!

13 hours ago, Importunate Tom said:
22 hours ago, hermetic said:

You're from NY, right?

So your dumbass militias are allowed to have a gun in the home and to carefully transport it to one local shooting range, but nowhere else.

Pretty darn useless, but every state doesn't have those stupid rules.

Yours might not either when the Supreme Court gets done.

not any more, mostly new hampshire

nyc is the king of reactionary laws.  the place is a mess

Oh dear.

I wish someone would stick him in a Jeep on the Mexican side of the border

Mexico’s Soldiers recently pulled guns on our National Guard Soldiers, probably as a diversionary tactic for drug smugglers on the Border. Better not happen again! We are now sending ARMED SOLDIERS to the Border. Mexico is not doing nearly enough in apprehending & returning!

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

sending another country your worst people. rapists. that's just wrong.

• Like 3

Twitter post by @realDonaldTrump: A very big Caravan of over 20,000 people started up through Mexico. It has been reduced in size by Mexico but is still coming. Mexico must apprehend the remainder or we will be forced to close that section of the Border & call up the Military. The Coyotes & Cartels have weapons!

Armed Coyotes!!!! 

16 minutes ago, mad said:

Twitter post by @realDonaldTrump: A very big Caravan of over 20,000 people started up through Mexico. It has been reduced in size by Mexico but is still coming. Mexico must apprehend the remainder or we will be forced to close that section of the Border & call up the Military. The Coyotes & Cartels have weapons!

Armed Coyotes!!!! 

To the teeth!

7 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

To the teeth!

s-l300.jpg.0ded53c6c42f76116a754f21a3bd6aa0.jpg

On 4/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, dacapo said:

They were in honda Ridgelines 

Have you ever had a cogent thought?   Perhaps if you emoted less and thought more you could make a contribution here.  Otherwise you’re just eminently ignorable.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Oh dear.

Mexico’s Soldiers recently pulled guns on our National Guard Soldiers, probably as a diversionary tactic for drug smugglers on the Border. Better not happen again! We are now sending ARMED SOLDIERS to the Border. Mexico is not doing nearly enough in apprehending & returning!

He is probably correct  Why were Mexican soldiers on the US side of the border?

I heard an interview with a former border patrol agent that stated  the Mexican military has run interference for  smugglers and this situation happens regularly.  

More to this story for one thing the US soldiers were sitting in their car when they were suddenly confronted by the Mexicans with automatic weapons on the US side of the border.  Why?

The Americans are and were the good guys minding their own business

Yet you are throwing crap at the US.   

I like the US but to be honest, it's been a while since anyone really believes that you are the good guys. And it didn't just start with Trump. Likely for me, it was the day Colin Powell went along with Bush/Cheney and the WMD hoax.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, inneedofadvice said:

I like the US but to be honest, it's been a while since anyone really believes that you are the good guys. And it didn't just start with Trump. Likely for me, it was the day Colin Powell went along with Bush/Cheney and the WMD hoax.

Until someone has a major disaster then you’awl will love us again.  :) 

In this case though I was referring to the soldiers sitting,  in their car on the US  side of the border. 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:18 AM, hermetic said:

Nice fantasy.  I was playing golf the other day with a couple of guys who claimed they had been down at the border with one of those militias, and they said the military was friendly.  

Lucky for me they started this conversation on the 9th hole.  I didn’t play the back 9.  I didn’t want to know.  It’s unnerving.

5 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Until someone has a major disaster then you’awl will love us again.  :) 

In this case though I was referring to the soldiers sitting,  in their car on the US  side of the border. 

Have you ever been out West here? They were between the fence and our side of the river. Ranchers use those fence entries sometimes for brush fires and grazing, but they probably didn't just find themselves there, they more likely made an effort to get over there for some reason.

I suspect they were doing the militia thing on their own time, it seems unlikely that they would have an order to play with matches and gasoline like that.

It could have gone so much worse. The way the river bows up in some spots and feeds, they wrote that it's hard to tell where you are, if you are a few off duty dudes in a rental car. The story would make a bit more sense if they were actually on the Mexican side of the river, because consumer gps units in phones are notoriously shit when they lose the cellular connection.

On-duty American or Mexican soldiers would most definitely have the right kind of gear to avoid that kind of screw up ... But maybe not.

This could have been a major incident, thank goodness it wasn't.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:17 PM, Clove Hitch said:

Are you being intentionally obtuse with this crap?  They didn't get lost - their fucking boat broke down and the Iranians acted in contravention to every naval treatise in existence when they detained them.  Yet - you are applauding the Iranians and denigrating the US Navy?  There was a long thread on the topic - I'm sure you can find it. 

9 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Have you ever been out West here? They were between the fence and our side of the river. Ranchers use those fence entries sometimes for brush fires and grazing, but they probably didn't just find themselves there, they more likely made an effort to get over there for some reason.

I suspect they were doing the militia thing on their own time, it seems unlikely that they would have an order to play with matches and gasoline like that.

It could have gone so much worse. The way the river bows up in some spots and feeds, they wrote that it's hard to tell where you are, if you are a few off duty dudes in a rental car. The story would make a bit more sense if they were actually on the Mexican side of the river, because consumer gps units in phones are notoriously shit when they lose the cellular connection.

On-duty American or Mexican soldiers would most definitely have the right kind of gear to avoid that kind of screw up ... But maybe not.

This could have been a major incident, thank goodness it wasn't.

They were not in a rental car. They were in an unmarked border patrol car.  

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

He is probably correct  Why were Mexican soldiers on the US side of the border?

I heard an interview with a former border patrol agent that stated  the Mexican military has run interference for  smugglers and this situation happens regularly.  

More to this story for one thing the US soldiers were sitting in their car when they were suddenly confronted by the Mexicans with automatic weapons on the US side of the border.  Why?

The Americans are and were the good guys minding their own business

Yet you are throwing crap at the US.   

I think that the days of Mexican military doing protection for drug smugglers is probably over, if it even was a thing. Mexico's, economy has been booming for a while, the drug trade there may still be tolerated, but it's definitely costing that country a lot of money once it interferes with their manufacturing and Ag.

I doubt that some rogue military outfit there does work for drug smugglers.

I didn't know that they were Guard soldiers, now I'm quite sure that they were there off-duty. And if they did happen to wander to the Mexican side of the border, we would probably never know about it anyway. Even the Mexicans wouldn't want to admit that.

13 minutes ago, Amati said:
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, hermetic said:

Nice fantasy.  I was playing golf the other day with a couple of guys who claimed they had been down at the border with one of those militias, and they said the military was friendly.  

Lucky for me they started this conversation on the 9th hole.  I didn’t play the back 9.  I didn’t want to know.  It’s unnerving.

you need better golf partners

4 minutes ago, The Joker said:

They were not in a rental car. They were in an unmarked border patrol car. 

As National Guard, I doubt it. 

As militia? Sure. Every militia vehicle is an "unmarked border patrol car."

1 minute ago, hermetic said:

Pick up threesome.  I’m used to it.  Redoubt Golf.

13 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Are you being intentionally obtuse with this crap?  They didn't get lost - their fucking boat broke down and the Iranians acted in contravention to every naval treatise in existence when they detained them.  Yet - you are applauding the Iranians and denigrating the US Navy?  There was a long thread on the topic - I'm sure you can find it. 

They were lost and the boat broke down.   The incompetent Lt. had his head up his ass.   There was hell to pay, including some senior command being relieved, if I recall. 

On 4/20/2019 at 6:13 AM, mikewof said:

Bureaucratic tradition?

38 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

They were lost and the boat broke down.   The incompetent Lt. had his head up his ass.   There was hell to pay, including some senior command being relieved, if I recall. 

Thanks for the clarification of your understanding.  I don't recall them being lost, but, drifting into Iranian waters ( and I don't remember why nobody came to tie a line to 'em before that happened) and the Iranians snatching them, detaining them, and using the incident to humiliate them for propaganda purposes.   Not at all our Navy's most shining example of professionalism and seamanship, but, not cause to celebrate another country's behavior towards those sailors either. 

31 minutes ago, Amati said:
35 minutes ago, hermetic said:

do they ask to see your papers?

37 minutes ago, mikewof said:

As National Guard, I doubt it. 

As militia? Sure. Every militia vehicle is an "unmarked border patrol car."

So you are claiming this involved Militia not uniformed US military?   Wow. 

40 minutes ago, hermetic said:

do they ask to see your papers?

What you say, what you wear, and who you know...

30 minutes ago, Amati said:

What you say, what you wear, and who you know...

I hear you.  I've put my yankees hat and t-shirt away

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks for the clarification of your understanding.  I don't recall them being lost, but, drifting into Iranian waters ( and I don't remember why nobody came to tie a line to 'em before that happened) and the Iranians snatching them, detaining them, and using the incident to humiliate them for propaganda purposes.   Not at all our Navy's most shining example of professionalism and seamanship, but, not cause to celebrate another country's behavior towards those sailors either. 

If you're talking about the incident of a Navy boat being captured by Iranians, the Farsi Island incident, yes they were lost.

Several reports had it that they disregarded other nav tools and just followed their GPS which was being spoofed by Iran. That would fit in with loss of communications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U.S.–Iran_naval_incident

Not a shining example, agreed. Doesn't make the Iranians look all that great either, although they apparently have better twigits.

-DSK

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

If you're talking about the incident of a Navy boat being captured by Iranians, the Farsi Island incident, yes they were lost.

Several reports had it that they disregarded other nav tools and just followed their GPS which was being spoofed by Iran. That would fit in with loss of communications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U.S.–Iran_naval_incident

Not a shining example, agreed. Doesn't make the Iranians look all that great either, although they apparently have better twigits.

-DSK

Thanks for the clarification - I was posting based upon my personal recollection - and that was obviously wrong.  

9 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Thanks for the clarification - I was posting based upon my personal recollection - and that was obviously wrong.  

My memory isn't what I used to think it was, either

-DSK

4 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Is you'awl multiple yawls? Or just a comic foreign misinterpretation of y'all.

Russian...indeed a flotilla of Russians.

4 hours ago, The Joker said:

So you are claiming this involved Militia not uniformed US military?   Wow. 

If they were off-duty Army guys doing militia, then at least this whole thing would make some sense ... a few guys having some fun doing the militia thing, with either the Mexicans or the Americans having wandered over the border, but we're told that the Americans were on our side of the Rio Grande, and the Mexicans were the ones who fucked up.

I'm not sure that I buy that, I suspect that it was the Americans who wandered over the border based on President Trump's vitriol in the media over this. But it being Mexico's fuckup is the official story, so it's truth at this point.

But if it's as you suggest, and these were officially sanctioned Army (not National Guard) who were on order from command to roam around that border, and they were on an official mission and then let themselves be disarmed by an invasion force from Mexico, then we have a real problem. Because then it wouldn't be militia guys who were disarmed, but regular U.S. Army, in which case they seem to have violated their own rules of engagement. The rules here from the Pentagon (link) ...

"DoD personnel are not authorized to carry individual service weapons during a mission, unless specifically authorized ... In addition, all ammunition and weapons must be transported in sealed containers, and no service member is authorized to bring a personal weapon."

So yeah, I am going to be optimistic, throw Trump a bone and assume that these guys were not in fact in violation of their rules of engagement, and were just having fun doing their militia thing. They would be legally allowed to do what they did as part of a civilian militia, they would not be allowed to do what they did in their day jobs with the U.S. Army. And I suspect that these fellows got holes chewed into their asses for this by their command. Even when Army is off-duty, they still represent the U.S. Army and its rules, and should have probably followed their employer's rules of engagement, even if they were in a civilian capacity that day.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, hermetic said:

seems everyone is missing the obvious - the mexican army patrolling the border

Too bad they aren’t patrolling their own southern border a bit better......  just saying.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:17 PM, Clove Hitch said:

Oh fuck off, cunt!  How do you poke your nose where it doesn’t belong if its US territory?  

But I would expect nothing less from Clove “open borders” Hoof.  BTW - Did I mention you’re a cunt?

9 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Boats, not boat. Umm. No. They were late on a delivery and took a shortcut to make up time. Afterwards, the boats returned to base under their own power. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/middleeast/us-navy-iran.html

The Navy reprimanded nine involved including cashiering the riverine unit commander. I can't really fault the Iranians here. Maybe Innocent Passage applied but this was on us.

23 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Boats, not boat. Umm. No. They were late on a delivery and took a shortcut to make up time. Afterwards, the boats returned to base under their own power. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/world/middleeast/us-navy-iran.html

The Navy reprimanded nine involved including cashiering the riverine unit commander. I can't really fault the Iranians here. Maybe Innocent Passage applied but this was on us.

Again, just think what we would have done if a lost Iranian sub popped up outside of Norfolk.  The Iranians handled the situation fairly and broke bread with the wayward sailors before sending them on their way.  

46 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Again, just think what we would have done if a lost Iranian sub popped up outside of Norfolk.  The Iranians handled the situation fairly and broke bread with the wayward sailors before sending them on their way.  

Actually the reports that I've read made it sound like they were assholes, and treated the Navy personnel like hostile POWs.

There is a protocol for intercepting foreign vessels at sea, intended to prevent the assumption of hostilities. The Iranians definitely broke it many times over.

OTOH they were the ones with the biggest guns on the block.

If a lost Iranian sub popped up just outside of Norfolk, I'm sure some Navy heads would roll. I also strongly suspect that the US Navy would treat them with professionalism (if they didn't run into 'em) and strictly according to standards.

I strongly suspect that the Iranian Navy does not have the ability to drive a sub to just outside of Norfolk undetected. That takes a lot more than just better electronics technology

-DSK

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Actually the reports that I've read made it sound like they were assholes, and treated the Navy personnel like hostile POWs.

What? Starved them and made them build a railway through SE asia? Fake news.

They got interviewed, and then sent home. even got to keep the boat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Battlecheese said:
9 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

What? Starved them and made them build a railway through SE asia? Fake news.

They got interviewed, and then sent home. even got to keep the boat.

Yeah, I get your point.

They weren't that bad. Doesn't make them good, though. There was a bit more going on than "they were interviewed."

There's internationally agreed-on professional standards for this kind of thing, to prevent petty mistakes from kicking off a war accidentally. The Iranians violated it both ways, being overly hostile to the personnel and taking their personal possessions, but then obsequiously apologizing to the US when they thought the Iranian public wouldn't see/hear it. Even hostile POWs in an actual war are not supposed to be used as propaganda tools.

-DSK

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Yeah, I get your point.

They weren't that bad. Doesn't make them good, though. There was a bit more going on than "they were interviewed."

There's internationally agreed-on professional standards for this kind of thing, to prevent petty mistakes from kicking off a war accidentally. The Iranians violated it both ways, being overly hostile to the personnel and taking their personal possessions, but then obsequiously apologizing to the US when they thought the Iranian public wouldn't see/hear it. Even hostile POWs in an actual war are not supposed to be used as propaganda tools.

-DSK

Well said.  The boats screwed up no argument.

The Iranians seizing them and the crews for getting near an island was not the normal reaction from any country.   Using them for propaganda purposes only added to the situation and violated the Geneva convention. 

21 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Oh fuck off, cunt!  How do you poke your nose where it doesn’t belong if its US territory?  

But I would expect nothing less from Clove “open borders” Hoof.  BTW - Did I mention you’re a cunt?

Nice of you to take a break from posting on Stormfront to come back here now and again. 

On 4/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, Amati said:

Idaho.

16 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

Nice of you to take a break from posting on Stormfront to come back here now and again. 

zing