B.J. Porter

The Dishonesty of Mr. Barr

Here's an excellent overview of the quotes that Barr took out of context from the Mueller report to create that steaming pile of bullshit summary he sent to context.

The selective quotes and out of context abuses are stunning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/us/politics/mueller-report-william-barr-excerpts.html

• Like 1

I think one of the most interesting Mueller quote was:

Vol. II, Page 2: Second, while the O.L.C. opinion concludes that a sitting president may not be prosecuted, it recognizes that a criminal investigation during the president’s term is permissible. The O.L.C. opinion also recognizes that a president does not have immunity after he leaves office. And if individuals other than the president committed an obstruction offense, they may be prosecuted at this time. Given those considerations, the facts known to us, and the strong public interest in safeguarding the integrity of the criminal justice system, we conducted a thorough factual investigation in order to preserve the evidence when memories were fresh and documentary materials were available.

• Like 1

It's sad that so many Democrats took Barr at his word during his confirmation hearing, when he had, just last summer essentially said the opposite.

He is a paid for assistant to Trump, not the AGUSA.... Hell, I have more impartial bones in my right leg than Barr has in his entire body.

5 hours ago, phillysailor said:

I think one of the most interesting Mueller quote was:

Vol. II, Page 2: Second, while the O.L.C. opinion concludes that a sitting president may not be prosecuted, it recognizes that a criminal investigation during the president’s term is permissible. The O.L.C. opinion also recognizes that a president does not have immunity after he leaves office. And if individuals other than the president committed an obstruction offense, they may be prosecuted at this time. Given those considerations, the facts known to us, and the strong public interest in safeguarding the integrity of the criminal justice system, we conducted a thorough factual investigation in order to preserve the evidence when memories were fresh and documentary materials were available.

That reinforces my opinion that Mr Mueller did everything properly, and let the chips fall where they may. What happens next is on Congress - if the right things dont happen?  Y'all oughtta pay attention. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

That reinforces my opinion that Mr Mueller did everything properly, and let the chips fall where they may. What happens next is on Congress - if the right things dont happen?  Y'all oughtta pay attention. 

So oughtta all y'all.

Edmund Ruffin may have fired the first shot at Ft. Sumter, but he also died a broke farmer.

• Like 1

Barr comes off looking as honest as Dog.  Did he think that nobody would read the report?  

On 4/20/2019 at 10:15 PM, Mrleft8 said:
On 4/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

So oughtta all y'all.

Edmund Ruffin may have fired the first shot at Ft. Sumter, but he also died committed suicide as a broke farmer.

FIFY

The dysfunctional hate-fueled illogic that motivated Edmund Ruffin is pretty much the same thing Republicans are doing now. Except that they're "winning"

-DSK

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:04 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

We are seeing that play out. What is a systematic refusal to comply with any subpoena for testimony or document request if not obstruction in plain sight. I said yesterday that it was too early for impeachment because there was more investigation to do. That is what Congress is trying to do. If the executive branch will not allow the legislative branch to provide a check on power, then it is time to impeach. We don’t need a king. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Barr comes off looking as honest as Dog.  Did he think that nobody would read the report?  

The job came with a price tag.   Barr knew the price when he went before the Senate and lied.   He gets the accolades, the resume builder, the love of Republicans.   The cost was just his soul.   Easy decision.  

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

His first duty is to spin the report for Trump and please Trump.

His second duty is to spin the report and please the elk.

He has no third duty.

17 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

We are seeing that play out. What is a systematic refusal to comply with any subpoena for testimony or document request if not obstruction in plain sight. I said yesterday that it was too early for impeachment because there was more investigation to do. That is what Congress is trying to do. If the executive branch will not allow the legislative branch to provide a check on power, then it is time to impeach. We don’t need a king. 

That’s assuming Senate Republicans vote to convict impeachment.  A big assumption.  And if they don’t, would Trump accept defeat in 2020?  And if Trump wins in 2020, but loses the Senate, would he accept impeachment in 2021? What form would that take?  He’s daring the Democrats to impeach him now.

4 minutes ago, Amati said:

That’s assuming Senate Republicans vote to convict impeachment.  A big assumption.  And if they don’t, would Trump accept defeat in 2020?  And if Trump wins in 2020, but loses the Senate, would he accept impeachment in 2021? What form would that take?  He’s daring the Democrats to impeach him now.

The republicans would have to lose the senate very big for a conviction as it is 2/3rds required I think.  If they lose that much in the senate, I doubt Trump would be re-elected.  So if Trump gets a second term, the senate will still be there to protect him.

2 minutes ago, bridhb said:

The republicans would have to lose the senate very big for a conviction as it is 2/3rds required I think.  If they lose that much in the senate, I doubt Trump would be re-elected.  So if Trump gets a second term, the senate will still be there to protect him.

Exactly, but what happens if Trump refuses election results if not re elected?  He’s already talked about it.

20 minutes ago, Amati said:

Exactly, but what happens if Trump refuses election results if not re elected?  He’s already talked about it.

Dog would point out that Obama did nothing to prevent it, and that the democRATS were racists until the early 70s. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Dog would point out that Obama did nothing to prevent it, and that the democRATS were racists until the early 70s. 

Yes, and we know that Dog is full of shit!

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

If the executive branch will not allow the legislative branch to provide a check on power, then it is time to impeach. We don’t need a king. 

THIS^^^^^^^^^

37 minutes ago, dacapo said:
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

If the executive branch will not allow the legislative branch to provide a check on power, then it is time to impeach. We don’t need a king. 

THIS^^^^^^^^^

The key issue of this election:

This country was intended to be, and indeed was (mostly) for many many year, governed BY the people, FOR the people. Now we are seeing a resurgence of an ugly old idea, that a very few people should control everything, should have all priviledges, should not be questioned.

Will we vote down government of the people, by the corporations, for the wealthy?

It may be too late, anyway.

-DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The key issue of this election:

This country was intended to be, and indeed was (mostly) for many many year, governed BY the people, FOR the people. Now we are seeing a resurgence of an ugly old idea, that a very few people should control everything, should have all priviledges, should not be questioned.

Will we vote down government of the people, by the corporations, for the wealthy?

It may be too late, anyway.

-DSK

The challenge is to avoid replacing Trump with a Wall Street Democrat just because he/she is a social crusader.   I’m a social libertarian (I don’t give a fuck what turns anybody else on) but those issues have limited impact compared to $peech and fair opportunit¥.

• Like 1

Now Barr (a sad sack of a man) is  not going to show up before the Judiciary committee.  Seems like he is objecting to being questioned by committee staffers rather than actual congress critters. Gee I wonder why that is?

Since when does a witness before the committee dictate how it is run?

It’s a Disturbing obstruction of justice by the AG.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/barr-spars-with-nadler-threatens-not-to-testify-after-dispute-over-hearing-format

I have to disagree with the thread title - Barr has been very upfront and honest - just read his application letter for the job, or check back with his handling of the Iran/Contra criminals.  Now it is true that some men do grow into their jobs but Barr has consistently been a party man and is now bravely serving as Trump's lawyer with the goal of protecting him.

Now karma would be served if after Trump is gone Barr can be held accountable for his failures in office.  Not holding my breath but hey, anything is possible.

28 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

I have to disagree with the thread title - Barr has been very upfront and honest - just read his application letter for the job, or check back with his handling of the Iran/Contra criminals.  Now it is true that some men do grow into their jobs but Barr has consistently been a party man and is now bravely serving as Trump's lawyer with the goal of protecting him.

Now karma would be served if after Trump is gone Barr can be held accountable for his failures in office.  Not holding my breath but hey, anything is possible.

John Mitchell went to prison.

it's pretty sad when members of the judiciary committee don't feel qualified to question the ag themselves

why not just follow decades of precedent and read questions prepared by the staff

Plenty of precedent for staff asking the questions.  In this case the Congress critters are asking the first round and the staffers the follow up in closed session.

Barr is evidently terrified what those follow up questions will reveal.

A simple

"How did you reach the conclusion of "no collusion" - and what's "collusion" anyway. Legal definition please"

will have him wishing he stayed in private practice.

4 hours ago, hermetic said:

it's pretty sad when members of the judiciary committee don't feel qualified to question the ag themselves

why not just follow decades of precedent and read questions prepared by the staff

Does all the spinning make you dizzy?

• Downvote 1

Christine Blasey  Ford wasn't questioned by committee members. She was questioned by an outside lawyer.

• Like 3

Could we give Barr a nautical name?

Baggywrinkle?

On 4/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

So much for the supposedly co-equal branches of Government!!

5 hours ago, hermetic said:

Because the D Congresscritters understand Barr would run rings around them when it’s follow-up question time.

I knew, and wrote, that Barr, based on his history with GWB, was going to play the part of an extremist partisan hack. 

But I did not think it was going to be this bad . . . 

He is just as much a menace to constitutional government as is the Drumph. 

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:
5 hours ago, hermetic said:

Does all the spinning make you dizzy?

no.

i'll just wait for the mueller hearing - the guy with a little more time on the job.

and rosenstein

39 minutes ago, J28 said:

Because the D Congresscritters understand Barr would run rings around them when it’s follow-up question time.

But the staffers not so much.

He’s scared.

It is called cross examination.  You grab him by the nose and lead him around.  It doesn't matter what he says.  He's a fucking liar and it will show.

55 minutes ago, hasher said:

It is called cross examination.  You grab him by the nose and lead him around.  It doesn't matter what he says.  He's a fucking liar and it will show.

You’ve really gone downhill since you first started posting on here Hash.  Your sentence structure and syntax were very poor from your first post.  But now that you’ve added derangement and anger, you’re just swirling around the bottom of the bowl.  It’s time for you  to flush on outta here for your own good.

Just now, J28 said:

You’ve really gone downhill since you first started posting on here Hash.  Your sentence structure and syntax were very poor from your first post.  But now that you’ve added derangement and anger, you’re just swirling around the bottom of the bowl.  It’s time for you  to flush on outta here for your own good.

I can live with what I have.  Choose to be less angry and the world might smile upon you.

7 minutes ago, J28 said:

Says the guy with the artificially low 800 down votes.

It seems mueller is not impressed with mr Barr’s integrity vis s vis the summary. 

39 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

It seems mueller is not impressed with mr Barr’s integrity vis s vis the summary. 

Barr missed “context, nature, and substance of the investigation”. 

1 minute ago, dacapo said:

Barr missed “context, nature, and substance of the investigation”. 

Oh geeze.  Just 3 little things.

Out of how many?

/sarc

I think Mueller was suspicious 28 years ago as well...

barr1.jpg

This is not looking good for Mr. Barr. He's had almost no chance to partake in the grift, and he's on the pointy end of the retreat.

And I am extremely confident that Barr, who is overseeing many more prosecutions that CAME from the Mueller report, will do so with impartiality

and competence. 

NOT

On 4/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, J28 said:

If you’re swirling around the bottom of the bowl, it’s going to be pretty hard to reach the handle and flush.  Just sayin’.  

Most likely the bowl has already been flushed.  But according to your own metaphor, that would be impossible.  

That, and why would you intentionally flush yourself to begin with, much less while swirling around the bottom of the bow.  Metaphors are stubborn things.

Mike Pence for President-Impeachment Bring it On.