Sign in to follow this  
J28

“This is a stick-up! Give me your valuables, worth up to $749.99!”

“I’m ready to get going’: Dallas County DA moving forward with plans even with police pushback”

The crimes in question include most first-time marijuana offenses and theft of personal items worth less than $750, unless the theft is for financial gain — wording that has caused confusion for some.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-county/2019/04/17/texas-police-unioncalls-dallas-das-removal-decision-not-prosecute-certain-crimes

Is there a reason to steal other than “financial gain”?

• Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, J28 said:

“I’m ready to get going’: Dallas County DA moving forward with plans even with police pushback”

The crimes in question include most first-time marijuana offenses and theft of personal items worth less than $750, unless the theft is for financial gain — wording that has caused confusion for some.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-county/2019/04/17/texas-police-unioncalls-dallas-das-removal-decision-not-prosecute-certain-crimes

Is there a reason to steal other than “financial gain”?

For food? 

For drugs?

So I want to buy a new set of wheels for my whip, but I only have food money.  Is it OK to steal some $$ and buy food, then use the $$ formerly allocated to flavor to buy the wheels?

Asking for a friend.

• Downvote 3

Depends who you steal it from I suppose.  

Also what kind of car.

The head of Disney stole $60M from shareholders last year or 1200 times that of the average employee.  That’s 5 times what other CEO’s stole as a multiple of average employee income.

He’s been making over 30M since 2001 and is set to steal 400M over the next 4 years.

https://observer.com/2018/03/bob-iger-net-worth-salary-disney-ceo-details/

Meanwhile Disney’s stock has significantly underperformed with only a double in the last 5 years.  

Greed is Good.

For those MoFo's it is also insatiable.

What inspires a person to go to a discussion forum and  anonymously start discussions? 

Restated opening post:

i don’t want anybody to know I am discussing this but is anybody else bothered by the fact the Cops in Dallas  have decided not to chase small time crooks? 

If you don’t want anybody to know you are talking about a subject or you consider your positions to be too absurd to be assiciated with your own reputation?????

DONT START THE ASININE THREAD!!!

• Like 2

It’s not the cops dipshit.  

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, J28 said:

....  not the cops’ dipshit.  

So whose dipshit are you? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

So whose dipshit are you? 

he's whatever kind of dipshit he needs to be to piss off the liberals.

Not prosecuting marijuana offenses? Who the fuck is outraged over that other than the carceral state industrial complex?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

he's whatever kind of dipshit he needs to be to piss off the liberals.

Not prosecuting marijuana offenses? Who the fuck is outraged over that other than the carceral state industrial complex?

Who are “the liberals??”

Do you mean those who wouid like to consider new abortion restrictions?

are you referring to the liberals who want to try changing Obamacare?

are you referring to liberals who wouid like to try building some walls?

liberalscwho want to try out new restrictions on Muslim immigration? 

To which group of people who would consider changing the status quo arevyou teferring??

• Like 2

A link that's not behind a paywall.

Doesn't mean arrests won't be made, just not prosecuted if the goods were not intended to be onsold or under a certain value.

I think the threshhold amount is way too high but the principle is sound.

It's a brave move .. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas-DA-John-Creuzot-addresses-city-council-members-about-his-plans-for-criminal-justice-reform-508922871.html

Creuzot has taken heat from law enforcement agents who fear his changes could lead to an increase in criminal activity. But he fired back, arguing that reforming the criminal justice system was a pledge he made throughout his campaign... and he's not backing down now.

"We have an over-criminalization of America and it starts with poor people and people of color, and we know that. Everybody knows it, everybody says we're going to do something about it, but nobody ever does anything and so that's why I'm acting," Creuzot said.

Council member Kevin Felder said he supported the district attorney.

"I want you to know that I support what you're doing because Dallas had one of the highest concentrations of poverty in the nation and it's not a crime to be poor," Felder said.

After the briefing, many of the county's police chiefs said they were worried and would continue on their current paths.

It was suggested that the district attorney do a public information campaign to share details of his policy with county residents. Creuzot agreed and said his office planned to do so soon. Council members overwhelmingly agreed that clear communication was key to moving forward.

"We don't want to feel as if our police officers' hands are tied or that they are confused and don't know which way to go," said Carolyn King Arnold, council member from District 4.

19 hours ago, J28 said:

The crimes in question include most first-time marijuana offenses and theft of personal items worth less than $750, unless the theft is for financial gain — 

Not prosecuting people for weed is common sense and long overdue.

The second part could be a problem. It would make more sense if they also declined to prosecute people for stabbing or shooting someone in order to not be robbed of personal items worth less than $750. (For whatever reason.....)

18 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

There's quite a list. Here are a few.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:47 PM, Importunate Tom said:

Reefer Madness 2018 Reboot

Here are 17 of 2018's most ridiculous overreactions to weed:

1. Kansas state rep: Pot is illegal because of African Americans' "character makeup" and "genetics."

Kansas state Rep. Steve Alford (R–District 124) started poorly and just kept digging. "Any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs," he said in January. (Spoiler: No, it's not.) "What you really need to do is go back in the '30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs...What was the reason why they did that?" he asked.

"One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that. And so basically what we're trying to do is we're trying to do a complete reverse with people not remembering what has happened in the past."

It goes on like that.

Some of us do remember Anslinger, just not all that fondly.

and this guy

On 1/10/2019 at 5:26 AM, Importunate Tom said:

Reefer Madness Is Still A Thing

Alex Berenson, the former New York Times reporter who has just published an anti-pot polemic that he aptly named after a notoriously hysterical 1936 anti-pot movie, says marijuana legalization "appears to lead to an increase in violent crime." Like his claim that marijuana causes schizophrenia and other "serious mental illnesses," his claim that it causes violence is based on a highly selective reading of the evidence.

University of Oregon economist Benjamin Hansen finds that "the homicide rates in Colorado and Washington were actually below what the data predicted they would have been given the trends in homicides from 2000-2012." He says "we can't conclude that marijuana legalization increases violence, and perhaps even there could be small negative effects."

Nor is the effect that Berenson perceives apparent in national data. The share of Americans reporting past-month marijuana use in the National Survey on Drug Use and Health rose by 55 percent from 2002 to 2017, a period when the national violent crime rate fell by 23 percent.

How plausible is it that legalizing marijuana would immediately cause "sharp increases in murders and aggravated assaults"? Here is how a bunch of experts at the RAND Drug Policy Research Center summarized the evidence in a 2013 report commissioned by the Office of National Drug Control Policy: "Even though marijuana is commonly used by individuals arrested for crimes, there is little support for a contemporaneous, causal relationship between its use and either violent or property crime. There is evidence supporting a possible intertemporal relationship, but it is not clear to what extent this is unique to marijuana." The authors flatly state that "marijuana use does not induce violent crime," while "the links between marijuana use and property crime are thin."

In line with that research, several studies have found that relaxing legal restrictions on marijuana is not associated with an increase in violent crime. A 2016 analysis of data from 11 Western states, published in the Journal of Drug Issues, found "no evidence of negative spillover effects from medical marijuana laws (MMLs) on violent or property crime." To the contrary, the researchers found "significant drops in rates of violent crime associated with state MMLs."

Berenson's book has received respectful reviews in The New Yorker and Mother Jones, along with considerable pushback from people who study these issues. You can expect to see more of the latter.

I cut out some of the evidence that he's wrong because there's just too much of it.

and this noted $peaker

On 1/24/2019 at 5:22 AM, Importunate Tom said:

Michael Bloomberg: Legalizing Weed 'Is Perhaps the Stupidest Thing We’ve Ever Done'

As he considers a 2020 run for the Democratic presidential nomination, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is continuing to defend his controversial positions on several issues. Speaking yesterday at the United States Naval Academy's 2019 Leadership Conference in Annapolis, Maryland, Bloomberg explained why he opposes marijuana legalization and still believes "stop and frisk" was a good idea.

Bloomberg has long been ignorant when it comes to weed. In 2013, he called medical marijuana "one of the greatest hoaxes of all time," despite endless evidence to the contrary. And in 2015, he said marijuana legalization is "one of the stupider things that's happening across our country."

In Bloomberg's mind, stop and frisk helped lower the city's murder rate. He said:

We focused on keeping kids from going through the correctional system, where they just came out worse than they came in, kids who walked around looking like they might have a gun, remove the gun from their pockets and stop it, and the result of that was, over the years, the murder rate in New York City went from 650 a year to 300 a year when I left.

Bloomberg's argument is flawed. As Sullum noted in September, crime in New York actually started declining in the '90s. And while that decline continued while stop and frisk was in full effect, the homicide rate still went down by 43 percent between 2011 and 2017—as the program was being phased out!

Prohibitionists can't be bothered with the facts about policies like stop and frisk. The power is too seductive.

Pursuing Nixon's drug war for decades is among the stupidest things we've ever done. Every crackdown leads to more potent drugs and more dangerous drug dealers.

And this guy, who is a Governor.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:54 AM, Importunate Tom said:

California Governors Still Addicted To Prohibition

Before he was elected governor, Gavin Newsom was instrumental in legalizing marijuana for recreational use in California. Now, as he settles into office, he faces the challenge of fixing a system that has been slow to bloom.

But a new report from the state Cannabis Advisory Committee on the first year of legal pot sales in California says there is problem that requires urgent action: “Fragmented and uncoordinated” enforcement has allowed the black market to flourish, threatening licensed business with unfair competition.

“Lack of enforcement is creating a thriving environment for the unregulated ‘underground market,’ ” said the 22-member panel, which was appointed by former Gov. Jerry Brown.

The governor proposed that at least 150 California National Guard troops would be redeployed from the U.S.-Mexico border to join a federally funded Counterdrug Task Force. The new forces would focus on illicit cannabis activity in Northern California.

Newsom said recently that he would address the black market with a carrot-and-stick approach that would “move expeditiously at licensing more and more dispensaries” while also “making sure we go after the bad actors.”

“I want to see more enforcement,” Newsom told reporters two days after the critical advisory committee report was released.

As a candidate, he understood that more enforcement wasn't working and never will.

I could go on, but the reason we still have a stupid drug war is because people are very slow to admit libertarians have been right about this for a long time.

20 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

What inspires a person to go to a discussion forum and  anonymously start discussions? 

Restated opening post:

i don’t want anybody to know I am discussing this but is anybody else bothered by the fact the Cops in Dallas  have decided not to chase small time crooks? 

If you don’t want anybody to know you are talking about a subject or you consider your positions to be too absurd to be assiciated with your own reputation?????

DONT START THE ASININE THREAD!!!

The cops in Milwaukee stopped high speed pursuit. If you took off from a cop, they would not chase. You or I would pull over, they have my plate #, right?  Stolen cars not much. Car theft skyrocketed.

19 minutes ago, warbird said:

The cops in Milwaukee stopped high speed pursuit. If you took off from a cop, they would not chase. You or I would pull over, they have my plate #, right?  Stolen cars not much. Car theft skyrocketed.

Innocent civilians killed by recklessly pursuing police plummeted so net net the policy was a win.  Pretty much all large metro area have imposed strict rules wrt high speed pursuit.

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Innocent civilians killed by recklessly pursuing police plummeted so net net the policy was a win.  Pretty much all large metro area have imposed strict rules wrt high speed pursuit.

Except auto theft rates went way up. Often the stolen cars are used as getaway vehicles,another crime problem.. Dallas can expect a reaction , foreseen or unforeseen consequence .

7 minutes ago, warbird said:

Except auto theft rates went way up. Dallas can expect a reaction , foreseen or unforeseen consequence .

Again, I think that we can all agree that’s a good outcome when the plus side is no civilians are killed by reckless chases.

This woman’s family certainly agrees.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/coconut-creek/fl-ne-coconut-creek-police-fatality-investigation-20190116-story.html

1 hour ago, warbird said:

Dallas can expect a reaction , foreseen or unforeseen consequence .

skyrocketing sales of Doritos, tacobell and other stoner foods? the horror, the horror.

4 hours ago, warbird said:

My reaction to that:

The program isn’t working. 

If I were involved in the decision making process:

Let’s try something else. Maybe we should go back to what we were doing until we come up with another plan we believe is a good idea. 

Note: I still do not know what inspires a person to spend endless hours writing and posting statements when he fears someone might find out who actually wrote those statements. 

The anonymous writers seem to care a lot. The time spent by some of our anonymous writers suggests they have a lot of passion for their positions.

on the other hand, they fear somebody might find out what they believe. 

Do J28 and Jackie Malarkey spend their  real lives advocating for Democrats?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

My reaction to that:

The program isn’t working. 

If I were involved in the decision making process:

Let’s try something else. Maybe we should go back to what we were doing until we come up with another plan we believe is a good idea. 

Note: I still do not know what inspires a person to spend endless hours writing and posting statements when he fears someone might find out who actually wrote those statements. 

The anonymous writers seem to care a lot. The time spent by some of our anonymous writers suggests they have a lot of passion for their positions.

on the other hand, they fear somebody might find out what they believe. 

Do J28 and Jackie Malarkey spend their  real lives advocating for Democrats?? 

They go to chicken-fucking parties and spend a lot of time waxing their dentures.

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

They go to chicken-fucking parties and spend a lot of time waxing their dentures.

No wonder they want to be anonymous!!! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's just their public persona. Deep inside they're wondering what it would be like to suck a mushroom.