JimBowie

Siebel Sailors: Southern Yahoos Need Not Apply

Kudos to the Siebels for funding the most ambitious community sailing program in US in a generation or three.  Now leave it up to US Sailing to anoint three of the five funded locations without so much as an application or review to well-established (ie, Blue Blazer) locals on East/West/Top coasts.  Locating these new programs in areas already well-served by yacht clubs, sailing programs, etc sorta misses the whole point, no?  Looking at the map, I see the entire Yahoo South is omitted.  I suppose they will award one to Miami to compliment the US Sailing Center there huh?  How about the Great State of Texas?  Second largest state in Union with nearly 30 million souls and a large minority population, and growing?  How come US Sailing doesn't award one to Houston/Dallas/Austin network covering most of the sailing in the state?  How come Atlanta or NOLA isn't included?  How about St. Louis?  Do we really need ANOTHER location in San Fran?  Annapolis?  Chicago?  Come on US Sailing.  You remind me of US Tennis Association.  All the $$$ goes to the Haves, not the Have-nots.

map2large-300x185.png

• Like 5

Seeing as the Seibels are from San Fran it’s a given one of the facilities would be there.

Perhaps it might be best to just say thanks and build the specific case for why your hometown should also be the beneficiary of this program in the hopes there’s a round two, or another willing donor.

Totally agree.  How about Park City?  Or Arizona?  Denver area?  There's even an NJROTC program in New Mexico that could use some love.  Lots of places with opportunities to sail but lack funding and awareness.  

dont be ridiculous everyone knows theres no sailing in Texas!

Each regional center will have 3 satellite centers, for a total of 20 total centers nationwide. I would be very surprised if they totally missed the western Gulf of Mexico. 

5 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

Totally agree.  How about Park City?  Or Arizona?  Denver area?  There's even an NJROTC program in New Mexico that could use some love.  Lots of places with opportunities to sail but lack funding and awareness.  

Swim, we're applying for sure. San Fran might be one of the hubs but we could fit into their group as one of the twenty locations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Set said:

I would be very surprised if they totally missed the western Gulf of Mexico. 

Huh? Where? What? Huh?

Texas (Rush Creek YC) does hold the last male Olympic Gold Medal for the USA.

• Like 1

Hi Jim- Thanks for your interest in this program!

Going back to the first post, I just wanted to follow up on those points. We're excited to launch the Siebel Sailors Program to add more support for young sailors at Community Sailing Centers who are interested in exploring the sport, advancing their skills, and getting into racing. The goal is to provide fun sailing and racing opportunities for kids at an important time in their lives, and offer options for staying in the sport as a participant, as a career, as a leader, etc. We are excited to partner with some of the best public access sailing centers in each region to make that happen. The first three regions were selected because they have the elements necessary for the program to be a success, but they are certainly not the only places where that's the case. We hope this model will prove to be successful in many locations.

In 2020, the Siebel Sailors Program will add two additional networks in regions that express interest and are likely to be successful. The locations you point out such as Texas and the Gulf Coast would be great, as would many other regions of the country where community sailing is thriving. Our long-term goal is to help as many regions as possible with this program, and as a group we hope to find some creative solutions for implementing this model beyond the first five Siebel Networks. The lessons learned will help create a more inclusive, accessible model for the sport as a whole.

It's all new and a bit different, so please keep the feedback coming and don't hesitate to start the conversation within your area about how we can offer more opportunities to young people so that they can enjoy the sport and become lifelong participants.

John

• Like 1

Tampa Bay between Davis Island YC and St. Pete YC would be an excellent location, part of DI's lease with the city is to be open to the community.

• Like 1

Some mentions here are yacht clubs. The letter states that they all have to be community sailing centers.  

I'm hoping for the Denver Sailing Association and Park City Sailing Association - both Community Sailing Centers open to the public, to get the nod from the Seibel Sailing Program.

• Like 1

@JohnPearce thanks for confirming the organizations intent on "spreading the love".  Personally, I believe all five locations should have been chosen in a transparent manner with a well-published RFP.  As it stands, 60% of the goodies were given away without a competitive process.  I'm certain the areas selected are well qualified, even deserving.  That doesn't make it "fair" if that was ever a requirement or consideration. The rest of us in the US are left to fight over the remaining two slots.  Perhaps one goal I'm missing is to make certain the original Siebel centers are successful in order to receive future dollars to sustain and expand the program.  In any case, I for one am thrilled to see someone pony up some ca$h to keep the ball rolling and turn back the tide of declining participation.

Jim Bowie of the Hinterlands.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 6:00 PM, JohnPearce said:

Hi Jim- Thanks for your interest in this program!

Going back to the first post, I just wanted to follow up on those points. We're excited to launch the Siebel Sailors Program to add more support for young sailors at Community Sailing Centers who are interested in exploring the sport, advancing their skills, and getting into racing. The goal is to provide fun sailing and racing opportunities for kids at an important time in their lives, and offer options for staying in the sport as a participant, as a career, as a leader, etc. We are excited to partner with some of the best public access sailing centers in each region to make that happen. The first three regions were selected because they have the elements necessary for the program to be a success, but they are certainly not the only places where that's the case. We hope this model will prove to be successful in many locations.

In 2020, the Siebel Sailors Program will add two additional networks in regions that express interest and are likely to be successful. The locations you point out such as Texas and the Gulf Coast would be great, as would many other regions of the country where community sailing is thriving. Our long-term goal is to help as many regions as possible with this program, and as a group we hope to find some creative solutions for implementing this model beyond the first five Siebel Networks. The lessons learned will help create a more inclusive, accessible model for the sport as a whole.

It's all new and a bit different, so please keep the feedback coming and don't hesitate to start the conversation within your area about how we can offer more opportunities to young people so that they can enjoy the sport and become lifelong participants.

John

John,

What was the the dollar amount of the donation? Usually when these things are announced a dollar amount is put out there but in this case no info was provided unless I am missing something.  I am sure you won't answer since it was not in the press releases so the info is being kept confidential,  so I guess my real question is why is the donation amount being kept confidential?

And to Bowie's point, why are the decision criteria and process being kept secret?

8 hours ago, KC375 said:

And to Bowie's point, why are the decision criteria and process being kept secret?

More transparent than you think. Idea likely came to fruition, was RFP’d basically by creating example hubs to pitch to the donor. Donor bought in. Hubs as advertised. Donor gets the say as it’s earmarked donation. End of story. Just be glad it wasn’t sunk into a house or giant motor cruiser!

On 4/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, robalex117 said:

John,

What was the the dollar amount of the donation? Usually when these things are announced a dollar amount is put out there but in this case no info was provided unless I am missing something.  I am sure you won't answer since it was not in the press releases so the info is being kept confidential,  so I guess my real question is why is the donation amount being kept confidential?

Does it matter? Arguably what’s more important to the success of a project is that the benefactors stay involved personally and financially even when it’s still growing, hasn’t yielded a great success yet, and may even be damaging to a fragile ego. 

Im proud of Tom and hope that more people follow his lead. 

On 4/24/2019 at 8:38 PM, JimBowie said:

@JohnPearce thanks for confirming the organizations intent on "spreading the love".  Personally, I believe all five locations should have been chosen in a transparent manner with a well-published RFP.  As it stands, 60% of the goodies were given away without a competitive process.  I'm certain the areas selected are well qualified, even deserving.  That doesn't make it "fair" if that was ever a requirement or consideration. The rest of us in the US are left to fight over the remaining two slots.  Perhaps one goal I'm missing is to make certain the original Siebel centers are successful in order to receive future dollars to sustain and expand the program.  In any case, I for one am thrilled to see someone pony up some ca$h to keep the ball rolling and turn back the tide of declining participation.

It's hardly 60% gone already.  Unless I misunderstand the program, there will be twenty locations nationwide ultimately, these are merely the first three of five hubs.  Each hub will have four other programs what will be under their umbrella so unless they've also named those twelve locations (no word yet to my knowledge), then they've only given away three hubs so 3 of the 20 ultimate locations.

@JimBowieHi all- To briefly address a few of the questions:

• @robalex117 The Siebel Foundation chose not to include the donation amount in the press release, so we are just respecting that wish.
  • @WCBThere will be a total of five regions rolled out, three in 2019 and two more in 2020. Within each region there will be four sailing centers participating, so that is where the number of 20 centers came from. It's possible that someday we will get to 20 regions in the program, but that will take some time.
In the long run we'd like to do many more, and evolve the model based on lessons learned. But first we need proof of concept and to hone in on the most effective ways to run the program.

Cheers, John.

3 hours ago, JohnPearce said:

@JimBowieHi all- To briefly address a few of the questions:

• @robalex117 The Siebel Foundation chose not to include the donation amount in the press release, so we are just respecting that wish.
  • @WCBThere will be a total of five regions rolled out, three in 2019 and two more in 2020. Within each region there will be four sailing centers participating, so that is where the number of 20 centers came from. It's possible that someday we will get to 20 regions in the program, but that will take some time.
In the long run we'd like to do many more, and evolve the model based on lessons learned. But first we need proof of concept and to hone in on the most effective ways to run the program.

Cheers, John.

@JohnPearce yes, I understood how it works, I was explaining exactly what you wrote to me, to @JimBowie. Thank you.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:54 PM, JimBowie said:

Kudos to the Siebels for funding the most ambitious community sailing program in US in a generation or three.  Now leave it up to US Sailing to anoint three of the five funded locations without so much as an application or review to well-established (ie, Blue Blazer) locals on East/West/Top coasts.  Locating these new programs in areas already well-served by yacht clubs, sailing programs, etc sorta misses the whole point, no?  Looking at the map, I see the entire Yahoo South is omitted.  I suppose they will award one to Miami to compliment the US Sailing Center there huh?  How about the Great State of Texas?  Second largest state in Union with nearly 30 million souls and a large minority population, and growing?  How come US Sailing doesn't award one to Houston/Dallas/Austin network covering most of the sailing in the state?  How come Atlanta or NOLA isn't included?  How about St. Louis?  Do we really need ANOTHER location in San Fran?  Annapolis?  Chicago?  Come on US Sailing.  You remind me of US Tennis Association.  All the $$$ goes to the Haves, not the Have-nots.

map2large-300x185.png

btw, there are a lot of "have-nots" in the SF Bay area.  Ever heard of Oakland? how about Richmond, California? google is your friend

46 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

btw, there are a lot of "have-nots" in the SF Bay area.  Ever heard of Oakland? how about Richmond, California? google is your friend

Well, I know Berkeley has some awesome opportunities.  Taken in whole the Frisco Bay area got WAY more opportunities than your average Mobile, Pensacola, Corpus Christi, etc.  So I say you fine fellow start you own thread.

There are indeed "awesome opportunities" in the bay area.  What it appears that this initiative is trying to do (John please correct me if I'm wrong) is expand the reach of currently established sailing centers to make the sport more inclusive and provide for opportunities to stay in the sport... So the fact that there are several established programs in places like SF or Miami makes them more conducive to this initiative-- they are not trying to reinvent the wheel, which is very smart and will make the funding go much further.

So for example, here in Miami we have shake-a-leg, US sailing center, and yacht clubs.  Shake a leg has a facility and are currently helping X sailors.  The Siebel people could build on this, and make it 2x and create a network within the region, ie places like Broward County or SW FL where the kids that age out will have options to teach and continue in the sport.... thats my understanding.  

On 4/24/2019 at 10:38 PM, JimBowie said:

Sounds like you need to stop throwing rocks around, start a foundation and not wait for the Siebel money.... And yes given Southern YCs race record the last few years in USAiling events, i am surpised there is not anything in that general region yet that is community based. 

I youth coach and help fund non-USAiling training centers....  Easy to get involved and get the ball rolling. 

https://rockingtheboat.org/

https://hudsonsailing.org/youth-programs/sail-academy-1/race-class/

On 4/23/2019 at 11:54 PM, JimBowie said:

map2large-300x185.png

When is the last time a texas billionaire spent a few million on community sailing?  Start there

1 hour ago, Fleet5 said:

Memo to Mr. Clean

you do not have the floor.

Yes I do

3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

When is the last time a texas billionaire spent a few million on community sailing?  Start there

Are you implying we're all a bunch of greedy self-center nincompoops?  I want you to know Clean that Texas is a perfectly egalitarian state.  All 28+ million of us live on 10 acre ranches, drive Ford F150s and go to church Sundays AND Wednesdays.  We share our wealth equally across the state.  No rich, no poor, just Texans. Hell, we don't even have political parties!  We're so full of brotherly love for one another we don't call ourselves Ds or Rs, we're just ALL libertarians.  Come on down and enjoy some real BBQ, cold Lone Star Draft and kick you heals up at one of our 100+ year old dance halls.

I swear the guy yelling non sequiturs above is the same guy that's always yelling in the middle of my grandmother's old age home.  Are you sure Fleet5 that you're in chicago and not at a retirement facility in long island? I'm guessing the age is right.

• Like 1

^^^

Can you stop polluting a really cool thread with weird non-sense and garbage?

This is an awesome initiative to boost long under supported programs that are doing the heavy lifting in community sailing.
We want more and more generous donors to support the sport this way - how about we all smile and say THANK YOU.

Personally, my hope is the program is so successful in year 1-2, that US Sailing can expand it even further in the future.
Maybe hit even more corners of the US.

This is an awesome, selfless and empowering grant to get modern sailboats in the hands of programs who are often used to using the oldest junk.
Celebrate and appreciate how cool this is.  That's what we're doing here.  I think it's wonderful - full stop.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WestCoast said:

^^^

Can you stop polluting a really cool thread with weird non-sense and garbage?

This is an awesome initiative to boost long under supported programs that are doing the heavy lifting in community sailing.
We want more and more generous donors to support the sport this way - how about we all smile and say THANK YOU.

Personally, my hope is the program is so successful in year 1-2, that US Sailing can expand it even further in the future.
Maybe hit even more corners of the US.

This is an awesome, selfless and empowering grant to get modern sailboats in the hands of programs who are often used to using the oldest junk.
Celebrate and appreciate how cool this is.  That's what we're doing here.  I think it's wonderful - full stop.

I really don't see how the program could not be successful.  Additional funds and support to grow the game in areas that are the hot bed of the sport seems like a no-brainer.  Futher, this will hopefully inspire more philanthropy in the sport and lead to further organic growth.

this lunatic has calendar alerts set up reminding him to post crazy ramblings on this thread every 12 hours...