Greyhound37

Baltic 45 custom

Recommended Posts

Looks good but for 1/2 $Mil I'd expect perfection in anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greyhound37 said:

This could be the perfect performance cruiser/racer combination. 

it's a 45ft boat - and a big 45ft boat - but only has one cabin with a door, and not much of a salon.., so a bit compromised for cruising. It would work for some situations - family with kids - but not for others - two couples.

anyway, Baltic builds good boats, so it's probably ok in that regard...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's got cup holders! Sold!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

proving once again that you have to know what it is that you want before you go boat shopping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better to find the Baltic 38 DP  (Doug Peterson designed)

beautiful below & fast. 

 Phrf beater  

 I sailed one w an extended rig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, us7070 said:

it's a 45ft boat - and a big 45ft boat - but only has one cabin with a door, and not much of a salon.., so a bit compromised for cruising. It would work for some situations - family with kids - but not for others - two couples.

anyway, Baltic builds good boats, so it's probably ok in that regard...

That is exactly how you get that huge race boat cockpit. Good trade in my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be concerned that this is one of the boats where R/P took the chines too low and caused balance problems and a huge stern wake. There was an article in Seahorse a few years ago where a Bella Mente underwent surgery to correct such an issue. Apart from that concern probably nothing better in way of build quality and detailing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

That is exactly how you get that huge race boat cockpit. Good trade in my opinion 

so - you want a race boat.., not a cruising boat...

great! I like race boats too...

For cruising.., i'd rather have an XP44

this relatively new boat is probably going to sell for 1/4 (or less) of what it cost to put on the water - that tells you all you need to know - that's race boat territory.., not cruising boat territory. 

you are free to think it would make a good cruising boat.., but the market is saying something else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

That is exactly how you get that huge race boat cockpit. Good trade in my opinion 

Are you selling this boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

That is exactly how you get that huge race boat cockpit. Good trade in my opinion 

except there is nowhere to actually put the race sails. It's a daysailor. A really nice one, but a daysailor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JL92S said:

Are you selling this boat?

No. 

I am over extended with a J-88 :-/

If this were a car it would be one of those new Ferrari hatch back looking cars that I see all over Palm Beach. They don't do any particular thing really well but give you a taste of many with good quality and features.

It has a nice galley by the way

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always loved the look of this boat since it was originally launched in Maroon as Bodacious.  I cannot speak to its speed or performance but to my eye its Sexy as hell.  Now some one give me the cash to buy it and run it.  Ill let you know if its fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

This could be the perfect performance cruiser/racer combination.

Too spartan for me on the cruising side.

As for the racing, I'm sure it performs well but I still like the classic Baltics.  They were works of art.

656777846_baltic-51-11.thumb.jpg.94fe28c0d61135d2063f4f38fd47408a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Better to find the Baltic 38 DP  (Doug Peterson designed)

beautiful below & fast. 

 Phrf beater  

 I sailed one w an extended rig. 

I too recall when Baltic built beautiful boats that went fast. This one I think just looks fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing happened to Swan.

The market audience for their boats changed - and not for the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

No. 

I am over extended with a J-88 :-/

If this were a car it would be one of those new Ferrari hatch back looking cars that I see all over Palm Beach. They don't do any particular thing really well but give you a taste of many with good quality and features.

It has a nice galley by the way

 

 

I too campaign a J88 and i can safely say it’s faster downwind than the Baltic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JL92S said:

I too campaign a J88 and i can safely say it’s faster downwind than the Baltic! 

10-14 knots of wind my money s on the Baltic 45 especially if you are in ocean swells 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^Damn near throws a rooster tail when he planes past my J/35 going downwind in 20-25 knots. A beautiful sight. Until I remember we're racing PHRF against him in the same ratings band.  $&#% *@#& (#&*$!!!!!

You doing Miles River, Greyhound?  We're thinking about it if we can get away from kid lacrosse commitments.  I'm hoping it's upwind on Saturday this year... <----- Shit displacement boat guys say. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is there a parallel bar (one) in the middle of the cockpit?  Why heavy teak decks (unless it's just veneer) on a racing boat? Why are there practically no handholds below?  Does the price include VAT?  If so, knock off maybe 20% if you bring it back here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Does the price include VAT?  If so, knock off maybe 20% if you bring it back here.

generally, you can not get VAT refunded on a used boat just by moving it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, us7070 said:

generally, you can not get VAT refunded on a used boat just by moving it

Good to know.  You only get VAT refunds on new boats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Good to know.  You only get VAT refunds on new boats. 

it is safer to take delivery in a way that you don't ever have to pay the VAT in the first place - there are a variety of ways to accomplish this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, us7070 said:

For cruising.., i'd rather have an XP44

^ This. Although I would certainly take it for $250k just for the shear factor that it's absolutely gorgeous... not for its current $500k though.

 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:33 AM, Raz'r said:

except there is nowhere to actually put the race sails. It's a daysailor. A really nice one, but a daysailor.

A 50ft daysailor (including bowsprit) :lol: 

 

47 minutes ago, us7070 said:

it is safer to take delivery in a way that you don't ever have to pay the VAT in the first place - there are a variety of ways to accomplish this.

THIS is one of the reasons I'm looking to bring over a used boat from outside the EU for my next liveaboard... 20% off (plus another 10% from the current exchange rate ^_^ )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seemed to address the bathroom issue very well....bit light on the cooking and eating facilities 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

You doing Miles River, Greyhound?  We're thinking about it if we can get away from kid lacrosse commitments.  I'm hoping it's upwind on Saturday this year... <----- Shit displacement boat guys say. 

No Miles River but hope to do the AYC race to Oxford (if it is downwind to G9) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah.  

The difference in performance between displacement and planing boats, upwind vs downwind, is incredible, isn't it?  I knew we had a great race to Solomon's last year when all three J/35's finished within 11 seconds.  But we were at the bottom of the list on adjusted time and finish order in our PHRF band despite being the scratch boats, you guys and all the other boats skunked us that bad on that 36 mile, 20+ kt downwind sled ride. 

 

Not bitching, just observing. And really appreciating having an OD class to race in most of the time. I still admire your boat tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2019 at 7:16 AM, Lex Teredo said:

But we were at the bottom of the list on adjusted time and finish order in our PHRF band despite being the scratch boats, you guys and all the other boats skunked us that bad on that 36 mile, 20+ kt downwind sled ride. 

Can't wait till PHRF adopts the multiple rating system much like ORC... Well one can only hope I suppose :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, him&her said:

Can't wait till PHRF adopts the multiple rating system much like ORC... Well one can only hope I suppose :lol: 

Maybe.  I presume we'll find something else to bitch about then... 

OD for the win.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lex Teredo said:

OD for the win.  

 

OD PHRF ? Quantify the relative performance of OD boats to make up for your shitty sails or non-existent bottom job... Whoa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't read too much into that.  I'm just saying I like OD.  Tells me exactly where I stand and within reason how well the boat is prepped*, no excuses. 

People seem to love new handicap systems when they replace old handicap systems, then over time as people figure out how to exploit them, or overtaxed local ratings committees struggle to ensure fairness, everybody comes to hate yesterday's utopian fix.   

 

*Boat prep is funny.  I could swap boats with the best guys in my class locally or nationally right this moment, and they'd still whip my ass.  I'm okay with that; the answer isn't new sails or a ratings change or making excuses, it's "don't like it? Then learn to sail better."   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now