Sign in to follow this  
Dude

get off my lawn!

I have to disagree with the Op-Ed from the front page titled "get off my lawn". Your anonymous opinion offers no recommendations on how to improve this event and our sport. Rather than spitting on an event, you plan on participating in, become involved and let's hear how you would make our sport better? From my perspective, you could well be an intoxicated heckler in the stands with no understanding of the game?

I have been a director of NOSA this past year and have leaned a tremendous amount of information that is behind the seen of this event. I am writing my column now and hope that Scott will give me equal time?

For the love of our sport!

Respectively

Len Bose

of course i will. just as long as you agree with everything i say. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dude said:

I have to disagree with the Op-Ed from the front page titled "get off my lawn". Your anonymous opinion offers no recommendations on how to improve this event and our sport. Rather than spitting on an event, you plan on participating in, become involved and let's hear how you would make our sport better? From my perspective, you could well be an intoxicated heckler in the stands with no understanding of the game?

I have been a director of NOSA this past year and have leaned a tremendous amount of information that is behind the seen of this event. I am writing my column now and hope that Scott will give me equal time?

For the love of our sport!

Respectively

Len Bose

Bloody hell, Len.  Please proof read your column carefully before you submit it.  Better yet give it to Mrs. Len to proof!

Doug J.

1 hour ago, Editor said:

you asksing allotte!                                :)

I sure wish I could go back and read prior issues of the Enquirer of Sailing website because one would find that Scot would glowingly promote the Ensenada Race if they paid for an ad with him. I sure hope others see this and do as I do and not buy anything that is advertised on this awful website. 

Stop being critical and do something to help the sport you moron.

TR

33 minutes ago, toe.rail said:

I sure wish I could go back and read prior issues of the Enquirer of Sailing website because one would find that Scot would glowingly promote the Ensenada Race if they paid for an ad with him.

Nobodey douttes/deniese thisse, notte evan Scot.

33 minutes ago, toe.rail said:

Stop being critical and do something to help the sport you moron.

He juste gave you aglobale forrom to ventte on.  Do you followe thisse advise to?  Or juste holde orthere to higher standerdes?

Cheeres!                                 :)

45 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

you asksing allotte!                                :)

Freedom of speech belongs to those who own a printing press. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Editor said:

Nope

I, for one, would like to hear what Len has to say. Len cares deeply, and acts accordingly, for the good of our recreation.

I agree with some aspects of the tone of the front page article: the decline in participation needs to be addressed.

I would like to hear the current NOSA plans, and of course whatever suggestions can come from this global forum.

The N2E is not the only race with declining participation! But there are also similar (I mean famous, historic) races that have seen participation increase or at least stay strong: Fastnet, Cowes Week, Around the Isle of Wight, Sydney to Hobart, Transpac, Single Handed Transpac, Route du Rhum, Vendee Globe. So it can be done.

How to help this specific race is something I am interested in learning.

What is memorable about the event?

- Drinking in Hussong's

- Pre- and Post-Race Cocktail and Cockpit parties

- Racing in San Diego the following weekend

- The spinnaker run

- The widely varied conditions inside and out, and guessing where to gybe for the finish

- Just one night (almost always)

What is bad about the event?

- Getting across the border and through Tijuana, both directions, for family and friends and crew that flakes out on bringing the boat back

- The glass-off at night

- The widely varied conditions inside and out, and guessing where to gybe for the finish

- All the sleds and fast boats just turn around and motor back right after the finish: Party Poopers!

- The long motor back to LA after the race

Today Friday, April 26th, 2019 is the start of the 72nd annual Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race. Over this last year, I have volunteered as a director of the Newport Ocean Sailing Association, NOSA, who is the organizing authority of the race. The race was first sailed in 1947 and had its hay days in the 1980s when 675 boats entered the race in 1983. Today, with the participation numbers at an all-time low many observers place the blame on the violence at the border, the organization authority NOSA, along with the downturn in participation in the sport of sailing.

Now, I am not even going down the road to explain the decreasing numbers of participants in sailing events. What I will be trying to illustrate is the history of the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race. Acknowledging what goes on behind the scenes and the connection between the city of Newport Beach, Ensenada and the sport of sailing. Along with the volunteers of NOSA that make this event unique to our sport.

I participate in most, if not all, of the west coast offshore sailing events. What I have noticed is that most of these events have become more and more distant from the destination ports. In the early years of the Cabo San Lucas race, most of the town greeted the arrival of the fleet. Today the marina operators were unable to provide slips for the fleet. Present day Trans Pac finishes are not recognized by Hawaiian news outlets while greeting parties are becoming more difficult to find after each race.

I was pleasantly surprised in the efforts that NOSA continuously exerts year after year in keeping the original connection between the two cities. For example, for the last 20 years Toni Baiunco, a NOSA director, has been in charge of all public relations with the city of Ensenada and has again organized the annual Mayor’s Reception were 16  Ensenada dignitaries will be attending a dinner aboard a Hornblower dinner cruiser with our local officials. Ensenada dignitaries included Marco Antonio Novelo, the Mayor Ensenada, Carlos Manuel Luna Herrera, Delegate of Immigration in Ensenada, Captain Daniel A. Maass Michel, Ensenada Harbormaster, David Perez Tejada Padilla, Customs and Port Administrator of Ensenada, Oscar Escobedo Carignan, Secretary of Tourism, Baja California, ALMT. C.G. Dem Jose Luis Cruz Ballado, Commander; Naval Region 2a, International Affairs Director, Jared Gutierrez Lopez.

It should also be noted that since 2015, NOSA has hosted an annual fundraiser, which raises  $ 7,000 to $ 10,000 dollars, for Centro de Atencion Especializada Para Autistas, or CAEPA, a school in Ensenada for autistic children being operated on a microscopic budget. Funds raised have paid for teacher and therapist’s salaries, and for them to attend specialized educational conferences; they’ve fixed the roof, repaired the beat-up van, purchased office supplies and installed their own safe water system. Today, the school’s capacity has grown from seven kids to 28, with many on a waiting list.

At this point, you are probably asking yourself how does that help my rating and the division I have been placed in? Well, it’s keeping the ball rolling down the court in difficult times. I just don’t want to just play in my own back-yard, the Baja races and cruises are some of the best sailing events we have on the West coast. “ Dude I’ve caught some really great waves down the Baja coast” I don’t want to stop now!

While attending the NOSA meetings this year there are many more volunteers that stand out with Toni Baiunco. Almost from the start of the Ensenada Race, there was Carlos Avila who was a past Mayor of Ensenada who took great efforts for many years in making this event happen. Today Avila wife Dolores continues to host a Sunday night dinner for the NOSA volunteers at her house and her family still plays a big part in the race. Another person that has donated more than ten years of their time is Tom Kennedy. Kennedy is known as the ambassador for NOSA and has been involved with keeping the line of communication open between the two cities for years. Then there is Susan Heinz who runs the starting line logistics. From finding the thirty volunteers to support all the race committee boats, too orchestrating the starting sequence it’s an amazing and thankless effort. There are many more volunteers who have all poured their hearts into this event over these years. What is so often missed behind the scenes is what keeps an event alive during low-tides.

The Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race will continue with its low and high tides of participation with more notice needed to the volunteers that continue to make it happen. Please take notice of its great history and desire to contribute to this great event so that you will be noticed in history.

"Like my one time friend, Doug J, so eloquently pointed out, this is an unedited version of my harbor column this week. Take it for what it’s worth and say what you will. It’s my view while sitting at the table while trying to help out."

11196268_879742358750578_1952054720047180514_n.jpg

And I'm on my way to Newport Beach to shoot the start

a few Pix to follow 

I've been lucky enough to participate in the N2E and Border Run a few times when the fleets were big and the wind was excellent. Too many times, though, the races both devolve into overnight, drift in the murk, drizzle fests.  Looking at the predictions for this year, if I was entered, even on a fast boat, I'd be preparing for that inevitable 2 a.m. boat wake that shakes all the cold dew off the sails right down the neck of your jacket and dripping down into your cookies. I'd also be wondering about an article I read naming Tijuana one of the most dangerous cities in the world and how I'm going to get my boat back home. The organizers are making sincere efforts but they're fighting a very significant decline in the sport.  They're also suffering for the sins of their fathers, the yacht clubs were full of pretentious pricks who initiated the flushing of the toilet years ago.

Breakfast of Champions 

@ BCYC 

FB_IMG_1556294360837.jpg

FB_IMG_1556299690371.jpg

tizz Sad when boats drop out by 8pm

13 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

tizz Sad when boats drop out by 8pm

....and you claiming for “few pix” and.....nada.

Give ‘em up.   Wanna see Chubby all powered up and chugging away.

Ernie Minney prolly got more than you shot apparently. 

34 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

....and you claiming for “few pix” and.....nada.

Give ‘em up.   Wanna see Chubby all powered up and chugging away.

Ernie Minney prolly got more than you shot apparently. 

could be

I was on a boat I had no control over

from a photographer stand point I'm sure the Captain had a great view the entire time

now I remember why I like me YACHT as a vantage point "Location" "Perspective" "Freedom of Choice"

ya I got Pix and will get around to posting some or not after I review em

my 2X yer money back guarantee remains in effect on All Free (to you, to view) Pix