Jules

Drug Addiction: Sailing

All my life I've denied it but I've now concluded sailing is a highly addictive drug.  I've been on and off the wagon (sailboat) many times in my life.  Those around me have worked tirelessly to get me off the drug and keep me off. 

"It controls your life!" They say.  "It sucks up all your money!"  "It affects your job performance!"  "Think of the children!"

Yes, I say, as I nod my head to their pleas and pretend to agree with them.  But it's hard staying off the drug.  Still, I knew one day I'd fall back in to the blue abyss.  And when I did, I'd fall hard.

And I did.  But this time, no more fighting, no more interventions.  Just bliss. 

Now, where do I find that next thousand I need to break out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jules said:

All my life I've denied it but I've now concluded sailing is a highly addictive drug.  I've been on and off the wagon (sailboat) many times in my life.  Those around me have worked tirelessly to get me off the drug and keep me off. 

"It controls your life!" They say.  "It sucks up all your money!"  "It affects your job performance!"  "Think of the children!"

Yes, I say, as I nod my head to their pleas and pretend to agree with them.  But it's hard staying off the drug.  Still, I knew one day I'd fall back in to the blue abyss.  And when I did, I'd fall hard.

And I did.  But this time, no more fighting, no more interventions.  Just bliss. 

If you write something like this we need some pictures of your girlfriend's tits.

• Like 2

Trying hard to quit racing my own boat due to impending retirement from full time work and consequent reduced income.  Finding it very difficult. Still have the boat, and it is for sale, but I'm finding all kinds of excuses to not sell it.  Is there any hope for me?

Sell the house

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Sell the house

The boat CAN be your house (like in my case).

Unless it sinks of course. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Sell the house

Shit sell the kids

• Like 2

Isn’t everyone here in the same boat?  We have a sailing addiction and we feed off each other.  I’m good with that, and our objective should be to get many more people sailing. 

• Like 1

I can stop sailing any time I want to.

I just don’t want to.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HuronBouy said:

Shit sell the kids

No, rent them out. Way better long-term income.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, HuronBouy said:

Shit sell the kids

Kids make sailboat racing seem affordable by comparison.

• Like 2

Sail on other people’s boats. It is a bit like polamidone, but you can get used to it. 

Every time I walked out the back door, I saw it (it's an object, not a girl) changing from white to dingy, dirty grey, I slightly cringed.  When I'd drive by the bay I'd remember how much pleasure I had from sailing.  Finally one of the Grandboys asked, "Grumps, when can we go out on your boat".

It is now sitting upside down in the backyard.  Outdoor bleach and a brush made it white again.  Trailer tires will be here on Tues.  Why did Hobie Cat tap into plywood to attach the rudder gudgeons?

you all need to get rid of those beemers and McMansion money pits...sell em,  buy a cheap house to winter in, a used subaru,  and a 40 year year old 36 footer....

works for me...stop trying to live like rich people and live like a sailor...

stop whining and make it happen....the only things making sailing expensive are your own expectations...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, dash34 said:

No shit.  And boats don't fail to appreciate all the time and money you put into them.  And they don't talk back.

Sailing is one of those addictions that can make you healthier.  Then after a good workout, you can pour rum down your throat and undo the benefits of the workout.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jules said:

No shit.  And boats don't fail to appreciate all the time and money you put into them.  And they don't talk back.

Sailing is one of those addictions that can make you healthier.  Then after a good workout, you can pour rum down your throat and undo the benefits of the workout.

Wrong!82949.thumb.jpg.5f5e52722c71502dd7e1e0fc5d06acc4.jpg

What are we talking about?

"It controls your life!"  Well someone has to take control, anyway

"It sucks up all your money!" Money is evil! Get rid of it!  Buy more boats, you can't have enough of them. Go sailing more often, the more the better.

"It affects your job performance!" Yeah sure, I come back to office more relaxed, more open minded, fitter and with big smile, helps me all to deal with the dump stuff they call work there

"Think of the children!" I do, see above: more relaxed, more open minded, fitter and with a big smile -  anything else that really matters in life

So everything exactly as its supposed to be, but don't tell the others  would be too crowed out there when everbody starts ;-)

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 1:32 AM, dash34 said:

Had a conversation with someone a number of years ago.  He asked me how I could afford to play golf as it was so expensive.  I said that if you think golf is expensive try racing sailboats.  You have not lived until you take a brand new spinnaker out of its bag and the meat hooks on the rope to wire halyard put a 3’ tear in the sail.

You can hit a new club on every shot and still not spend anything close to what it costs to campaign a decent sized boat.

Why would you still be using wire??

On 4/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, Jules said:

They weren't your real friends. We're your real friends. We understand how you feel.

Now, about the money: Send me the thousand dollars and I'll hook you up with my absolutely certain-thing, no-fail, method to make all the money you want. It doesn't even take much time, so you can go sailing (or work on your boat, whichever you prefer) much more.

FB- Doug

• Like 2