Bedford

Foredeck Factor

Here's how it works. Take the biggest boat you've done bow on and your age at the time. I did bow on an 80-footer at 50. That gives me a foredeck factor of 130. Can anyone beat that?

5 minutes ago, Bedford said:

Here's how it works. Take the biggest boat you've done bow on and your age at the time. I did bow on an 80-footer at 50. That gives me a foredeck factor of 130. Can anyone beat that?

Yeah.  My good buddy turns 80 this summer. When he was 60 he crewed for me at an International 14 worlds in Bermuda.  My current boat partner was 59 at the San Francisco bay worlds last summer. I think there were even a couple dudes a bit older. Iron men.

I'm gonna stack that up to any big boat   :) .  (my number is only 100, 50 @ 50)

The problem with this formula is I've shifted towards smaller and smaller boats as I got older. So my official factor is only 80 (62, 18) but I have secondary factors that are higher (52, 40) and (47, 43)! UNFAIR! :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, suider said:

The problem with this formula is I've shifted towards smaller and smaller boats as I got older. So my official factor is only 80 (62, 18) but I have secondary factors that are higher (52, 40) and (47, 43)! UNFAIR! :D

52 and 40 is 92. Not bad.

Hard to figure since the length may be 50, but the width is 45.  Or the last one was 60 long x 60 wide.  Age 56.  :D  

Raced doublehanded to Hawaii at age 70 on my 38 footer (108)...not just foredeck, all positions.  Oh, and had to hand steer for 14 days, two hours on, two hours off when "Otto" went out the first night.  Ho hum...just another race.

• Like 1

I'm 52 and I have been doing bow on a succession of J/105s for a while now. I'm the only one forward of the mast.

You need to adjust your formula to account for this. How many flunkies did you have at your disposal on that 80'

The smaller the boat, the smaller the crew, the larger physical demands on each crew member 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RATM said:

I'm 52 and I have been doing bow on a succession of J/105s for a while now. I'm the only one forward of the mast.

You need to adjust your formula to account for this. How many flunkies did you have at your disposal on that 80'

The smaller the boat, the smaller the crew, the larger physical demands on each crew member 

my point exactly. 

I rate 107 - 47 at 60

I think I’m going to win this by heaps. I rate 216. 45 at 63 multiplied by 2 = 216. (My boat is a cat with a rig on each hull so I’ve got two foredecks. What’s my prize? 

• Like 1

I did  bow on this baby at 25... It's a 370 footer. 395post-1-1128697343.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RATM said:

Men have died over just a flap of one of the five jibs made of the  thicker dacron you've ever seen on the boat pictured above... And yes, all the work was done only by human power, no powered winches or anything. 263 crew, 80% of them on deck.

Damn you chuso :angry: 

• Like 1

At 80 I do fore deck on my 44, so 124. Last season I went up the mast while underway during a race to cut a jammed a spinnaker halyard. 65' mast. So how about 80 + 65 for 145

Lets see, 89 at 44 gives us 133.

And 130 at 18 gives us 148.

Not Chuso territory but respectable enough I guess.

Chuso I have set and struck royals too along with squares. Cherish that actually...... 

• Like 1

Doing bow on an asym boat with a sprit doesn't count for shit. And if the crew is good doing bow on a 50 in 20 is way easier than jibing a J22 in 20 with waves. Been there, done that - not doing the math on a Friday at happy hour.  The beauty of a great dip pole jibe is doing a quick bow on the bow while going "ta da!"

49 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I did  bow on this baby at 25... It's a 370 footer. 395

Picture or it isn't true.

Your mast and buddy factor is very impressive though.

Fucking hell. 20 posts on a thread for rating bowman and you old fuckers are measuring your own age and her length? Fuck off back to the cockpit!

Any real Dancing Monkey knows it’s her age and your own length that matters!! 

Here’s some more measurements for you:

P.s. Respect to @Sailorman44 for a job well done

6 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Picture or it isn't true.

Your mast and buddy factor is very impressive though.

I was lucky in the way that my job during tacks, gybes, etc. was also done by one of the cadets preparing to be an officer so I was relatively free to chose which rope to pull when he was up  on deck. My favorite place was (except when working up on the mast) the furthest forward possible. Working at the end of a 20m bowsprit, preeeeetty high above water is as awesome as it gets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Shit, you have beaten my 312 (293 ft +19 yrs).

886319414_1981-10GorchFock_17.thumb.jpg.1ddd71c21162c88c4f48a2ddf802745a.jpg

Although I often dream today (this making the full 350) of the good times - best was slicing through the English Channel with 9 Bft. from aft. The old lady topped 20 kts. More than 10 sails shredded to pieces, wet eyes for our sailmaker. The young lad in white is the cook. He got his shower as we pounded into a wave.

2047657524_1981-10GorchFock_24.thumb.jpg.18c8fa0830f4dd7f6a5d915c8bfb622e.jpg

• Like 1

142... but unfortunately after shagging the Top 3, the left side of my body suddenly went all numb and I woke up in hospital with no memory of it.

barndoor2.jpg.e7c080116f14d9f170720b425688f8f4.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HFC Hunter said:

Fucking hell. 20 posts on a thread for rating bowman and you old fuckers are measuring your own age and her length? Fuck off back to the cockpit!

Any real Dancing Monkey knows it’s her age and your own length that matters!! 

Here’s some more measurements for you:

P.s. Respect to @Sailorman44 for a job well done

Ha, good one Hunter! Bet some of us old guys would do alright using your scoring method anyway;) ps. Violent Femmes one of my favourite groups ever.

52' @48 = 100  Yah, not very impressive, but it is what it is.

20 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Thread closed. :P

16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

barndoor2.jpg.e7c080116f14d9f170720b425688f8f4.jpg

What our we messureng hearer?                                 :)

Sailing%20shot.jpg

Adix.  212 feet + 50 = 262.  Not so much up the foremast though!  Someone else's job, that.

barndoor2.jpg.e7c080116f14d9f170720b425688f8f4.jpg.890527d4917e1a6f0a2d9acbe1a4ba17.jpg

7 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

What our we messureng hearer?                                 :)

Widht x depht x 18 x 6