ampostell@gmail.com

Waxing below the waterline

Looking for opinions.  I used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray on) for my car and the water just beads off - great stuff!  I was think how would this work on the hull.  I have always been told not to wax below the waterline because the water can adhere to some waxes and slow performance, but I was thinking this may be different and has strong water repellent features.  I would love to hear your thoughts!

Did you guys vax last night? 
I havent vaxed in a while.
I wanna vax you below the waterline right now.
Lets go to the club and vax!

32 minutes ago, ampostell@gmail.com said:

Looking for opinions.  I used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray on) for my car and the water just beads off - great stuff!  I was think how would this work on the hull.  I have always been told not to wax below the waterline because the water can adhere to some waxes and slow performance, but I was thinking this may be different and has strong water repellent features.  I would love to hear your thoughts!

hullkote_product.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

hullkote_product.jpg

+1 , lasts up to 6 months  if you drysail and they claim you won’t grow a 3rd testical cause it’s non toxic 

4 minutes ago, Cazzate said:

+1 , lasts up to 6 months  if you drysail and they claim you won’t grow a 3rd testical cause it’s non toxic 

I use it on the Zodiac, which lives in the water. Up to 30 days, it's a wipedown. Leave it alone all summer and it's a little ugly.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I use it on the Zodiac, which lives in the water. Up to 30 days, it's a wipedown. Leave it alone all summer and it's a little ugly.

I like that idea for the dinghy, just hate scraping off those little barnacle critters.

10 minutes ago, @last said:

Another choice that seems to work well......

https://www.mclubemarine.com/antifoulpolish/

Was just reading up on that, might work for the OP, and also for the dinghy.

Thinking of it, the new silicone antifoulings might work on the dinghy too.

Buy some Rainex and brush it on.  

Or there  is this stuff...

just a joke I would not put that stuff on a hull

Canvas maybe...

37 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Buy some Rainex and brush it on.  

Or there  is this stuff...

just a joke I would not put that stuff on a hull

Canvas maybe...

I could use this stuff on my old foul weather gear.  Don't want to give up my old Musto kit.  But, it is kind of, well, old and not so water proof anymore!

31 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Just a joke I would not put that stuff on a hull

Canvas maybe...

"And it really works, but don't try it at home.". Got 40% 1 (one) star reviews on Amazon

But Rain X might work, very good rating and affordable !

I still have 1/2 gallon of West Marine Water Proofing, does absolute fuck all. Might use it as a lubricant, or on the dinghy.

Rain-X lasts about one rainy day on a car windshield.

It works great for that day - don't even need to use your wipers - but it doesn't last worth shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

"And it really works, but don't try it at home.". Got 40% 1 (one) star reviews on Amazon

But Rain X might work, very good rating and affordable !

I still have 1/2 gallon of West Marine Water Proofing, does absolute fuck all. Might use it as a lubricant, or on the dinghy.

Friggin dinghy might self  combust with that cocktail of stuff you might use on it 

Dolphins do not use any chemicals, and they go pretty fast. Their skin traps a bit of water, and it is water running on water. My conclusion: Sand the bottom when dry sailing. We did this for the canoe races. We timed a trip across the lake and back, and tried something different each time. But that was before this modern crap was invented.

17 minutes ago, Unkle Krusty said:

Dolphins do not use any chemicals, and they go pretty fast. Their skin traps a bit of water, and it is water running on water. My conclusion: Sand the bottom when dry sailing. We did this for the canoe races. We timed a trip across the lake and back, and tried something different each time. But that was before this modern crap was invented.

Exactly..

when you're under water, you want to be wet (hydrophilic), not covered in small air bubbles (hydrophobic)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cazzate said:

Friggin dinghy might self  combust with that cocktail of stuff you might use on it 

Nah, it's hypalon, but by the time I add hot chili peppers, antibiotics, mould killer and pesticides it probably will. Hot chili peppers alone self combust inside me quite regularly.  :(

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Rain-X lasts about one rainy day on a car windshield.

It works great for that day - don't even need to use your wipers - but it doesn't last worth shit.

so that light mist coming from the road spray after the rain stops and you are going 35mph in the city.  click the wipers.  effectiveness of rain ex done.

18 hours ago, Cazzate said:

That shit works great! Use it on my Laser and my dinghy.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:48 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Did you guys vax last night? 
I havent vaxed in a while.
I wanna vax you below the waterline right now.
Lets go to the club and vax!

Stop you're getting me hot with all the vaxing 

15 hours ago, Unkle Krusty said:

I remember this came up in rowing, (this article discusses

https://books.google.com/books?id=BksEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=rowing+sanded+shell+improved+water+resistance&source=bl&ots=sFRDlnVTet&sig=ACfU3U3D52PbTW_8DVZagFdS-2yP6tyM6w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwittMCQhfbhAhVELK0KHQM3CDQQ6AEwCXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=rowing sanded shell improved water resistance&f=false)

I definitely saw one 8 at Henley with the sanded finish, the crew were very careful with it claiming that it was really easy to kill the effect. In rowing shells (and probably kayaks) you have to balance the reduced surface drag against the increase mass of water you are carrying along with you. My guess it that this is less of an issue with keelboats.

5 hours ago, Dex Sawash said:

Pics

OK I guess

Wax or no wax???????

54394_03big.jpg

• Like 1

Can someone read the stuff that VW posted, and interpret it for me. We did the canoe tests in the seventies. We did not have ready access to the internet or scientific stuff like nowadays. We usually came third in the canoe races, beaten by better canoes, and younger guys. About 100 yards behind after several miles. I just pulled one from the rental fleet, had the kids sand the bottom, and tie a rope loop at each end so we could carry it. We did beat a lot of competitors tho. The sailboats started going faster about the time micron paint was used. All of this in fresh water.

7 hours ago, Code 2 said:

you should be punished.

I cannot hit the "like" button enough times!

I am very fast when my lady waxes below the waterline.  

On a serious note, I am about to apply the anitfoul speed polish to the topsides and wetsanded epoxy bottom of my Capri 25. The Mclube rep warned me however to be careful on the boatramp , as the stuff is super slick and some boats have slid off the trailer prematurely.  I will let you all know how it goes.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:00 PM, Ishmael said:

Be wary of certain products on inflatable fabrics. Products such as Armor All contain silicone and make the fabric look great and protects from UV but if you ever have to do a repair it can be impossible to get a patch to adhere to the treated fabric even with extensive prep. I would think McLube would even be harder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkFin said:

Be wary of certain products on inflatable fabrics. Products such as Armor All contain silicone and make the fabric look great and protects from UV but if you ever have to do a repair it can be impossible to get a patch to adhere to the treated fabric even with extensive prep. I would think McLube would even be harder.

I have found a good cleaning with denatured alcohol will remove the obstacles to good adhesion on fabrics.  Do not soak the fabric just a good wipe down will normally do the trick.

Disclaimer:  denatured alcohol can remove dyes from fabrics

19 hours ago, Little Wood Boats said:

I have found a good cleaning with denatured alcohol will remove the obstacles to good adhesion on fabrics.  Do not soak the fabric just a good wipe down will normally do the trick.

Disclaimer:  denatured alcohol can remove dyes from fabrics

i would wash down with soap ( Dawn liquid detergent) and water first, then the ethanol...

I will have you know it was with a considerable act of faith that I even opened this thread.

Nothing to see here, move along...

On 5/1/2019 at 4:04 AM, hobot said:

I cannot hit the "like" button enough times!

If you like her so much I will post more pics for you!!!!!