Sign in to follow this  
El Mono del Mar

J/80: How do others work crew positions and responsibilities?

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

I am part of team that all made the transition from doing well in a competitive PHRF fleet (on Pearson 26)and into bringing up the back (but having a heck of a lot of fun) of a great J/80 fleet averaging 10-12 boats on the line.

Obviously a huge learning curve with different chute and controls, but I wanted to poll more experienced crews on what y'all are doing for positions/responsibilities.

Currently we are running this:

1) Driver: controls tiller and mainsheet downwind; job= nail start, final decision on tacking/gybing speed, drive fast 

2) Tactician: controls mainsheet/traveler/backstay upwind, flys spin downwind; job= calls where on line to start, angle of attack, fleet position, looking for shifts and tactical tacks

3) Jib trimmer: upwind: controls jib winch, on set: pulls tack line and deploys pole and furls jib, on douse: blows tack, retrieves pole, releases spin halyard ; job= trims headsail 

4) Pit/Mast: upwind: vang/outhaul/cunningham, assists w/ jib and calls wind pressure, on set: feeds out spin when tack is set and hoists spin, on douse: gathers foot, then all of spin into cabin 

 

How are others running crew in your waters? This is pretty common at our club, but being new, we are all about stealing ideas from people performing better than us :)

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So many questions. Do not over analyze and just go with the flow. It is all so easy on the 80. If you are not comfortable yet, put someone you trust next to you. The rest is just practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Varan said:

So many questions. Do not over analyze and just go with the flow. It is all so easy on the 80. If you are not comfortable yet, put someone you trust next to you. The rest is just practice.

We are trying to squeeze out as much practice as we can, I guess I was trying to analyze for glaring flaws.  We have rounded the winward mark middle of the pack and been dropping towards the back due to mistakes.  Luckily, I don't think we have repeated the same mistake yet... just keep finding new ones to make!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Mono del Mar said:

We are trying to squeeze out as much practice as we can, I guess I was trying to analyze for glaring flaws.  We have rounded the winward mark middle of the pack and been dropping towards the back due to mistakes.  Luckily, I don't think we have repeated the same mistake yet... just keep finding new ones to make!

sounds like we're a few months ahead of you.  if you are rounding the windward mark middle of pack you should be good for downwind defense. some tips i learned 

  • make sure your backstay is loose enough downwind, it should be able to go up to < 1" from the end of the Y. 
  • fraculate (sp?) the hell out of the gib downwind. 
  • boat trim is key, keep the ass out of the water and heeled to leeward 
  • Sail hotter and longer courses dont worry about pointing at the mark, scallop to build apparent wind. 
  • Douse early if that's a  problem area, better to be slow to the pin than go past it. 
  • practice a mexican. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, biglebroski said:

sounds like we're a few months ahead of you.  if you are rounding the windward mark middle of pack you should be good for downwind defense. some tips i learned 

  • make sure your backstay is loose enough downwind, it should be able to go up to < 1" from the end of the Y. 
  • fraculate (sp?) the hell out of the gib downwind. 
  • boat trim is key, keep the ass out of the water and heeled to leeward 
  • Sail hotter and longer courses dont worry about pointing at the mark, scallop to build apparent wind. 
  • Douse early if that's a  problem area, better to be slow to the pin than go past it. 
  • practice a mexican. 

Practice a On a mexican.  

 

Fixed it for ya....  :P

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, biglebroski said:

sounds like we're a few months ahead of you.  if you are rounding the windward mark middle of pack you should be good for downwind defense. some tips i learned 

  • make sure your backstay is loose enough downwind, it should be able to go up to < 1" from the end of the Y. 
  • fraculate (sp?) the hell out of the gib downwind. 
  • boat trim is key, keep the ass out of the water and heeled to leeward 
  • Sail hotter and longer courses dont worry about pointing at the mark, scallop to build apparent wind. 
  • Douse early if that's a  problem area, better to be slow to the pin than go past it. 
  • practice a mexican. 

Thanks for the tips!  We don't have a fraculator, so I will have to look into that.  We have been heeling to windward downwind to try and rotate out the shoulder, hadn't heard the heel to leeward for the J...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, El Mono del Mar said:

Thanks for the tips!  We don't have a fraculator, so I will have to look into that.  We have been heeling to windward downwind to try and rotate out the shoulder, hadn't heard the heel to leeward for the J...

on the 80 just furl the jib then put the sheet on the winch and crank it a bit, that will fraculate enough. 

 

heeling to windward works if you have strong winds but in light winds flat with a slight tilt to leeward will help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this