BobBill

Front Page, "Get your Kicks."

+1. Manned-up! Amen.

good read, and nice to hear from bob. miss having him and his boats around here.

+ 2. I now live in So Cal, but used to live in NZ (a very long time ago) so I get the vibe!

he is the ultimate bro. love the dude.

• Like 1

Mad respect for Billy Bob raced with him back in the day on J Bird the TP 52 incredible driver and all around good guy

Where is the Affront Page, and who is Silly Bob ?

Bobby you rock .Hows Gail and Leigh .Kudos .

sorry guys but there is a mistake, i still have an NACRA 36 so there are still two out in the wild, i am in London Ontario Canada and i am i a very slow restoration of her. She will be called "Shock Wave" and has a Aerospace look to her, she is getting a forward Tramp and Pole as well she has Hull hatches being installed for bulkhead work and storage, making her much more useful, she has a 56 ft mast i think it is a little larger than stock.  I have Just found the time to work on her,  just have a bit of paint done and some molds for port holes and hatches, this would have been easier to do now since i have large gantry CNC machine and Creaform 3D scanner, but these were done the old way.  when she is mostly completed she will be available for purchase, i need a Live aboard boat. thanks Willi Gindner Aerocomp Aerospace Ltd.  I hope to get back to work on her this year some time

1S.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Aero, might nifty...can you post progress from time to time?...Am all over this! My kinda play.

The boats were originally a cat rig.  I sailed the first one with Roy Seaman in one of the Ensenada races.  We rigged a jib on it, with a tack bridle to the hulls.  Sometime during the night we noticed that the load on the tack bridle was pulling the bows together and the sterns apart - the rear beam slowly sliding out from under the straps that held it to the hulls.  We had running backstays with blocks & tackle for tensioning; so I took the leeward one apart and use the block & tackle across the back of the boat, to pull the sterns back together.  It worked, and I think that we may have been first to finish.  Roy used to keep the boat on a mooring in the kelp, just under the point north of Malibu Beach.

My F18 helm has a photo of him, his father and Roy Seaman blowing past 30 kts on the first Nacra 36...if only we had a place to launch one!! I've never sailed the boat but they look like one hell of a wicked up ride!!

There are a few more than 2 in existence, though maybe only 2 or 3 of the original?

This is a pretty blinged up carbon example: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/nacra-36c-carbon-catamaran-cost-effective-speed/222348

The 8.5 catamaran FREEDOM'S Route 66 race.

Freedom is another local Auckland based Multi. We were the random boat that came in 30 minutes behind Slime and 2 of 10 and managed 3rd on line and 2nd on handicap.

From the Freedom we also had a great race.

Coen my co-owner was busy tramping this weekend so it was a 2 handed (ish) effort.
Liz ( long suffering crew) came down with a serious sinus infection but stuck it out and managed to stay awake long enough to hold the talking stick, while I did the sail changes ( good onya Liz).

We used a Fro off the start in a light easterly and after several tacks managed to lay north head and found out how shallow it really is going into narrowneck beach as we came to a soft stop. No problem on a cat, let everthing go, pull up the dagger board and off we go again.
Sub-optimal tho and hoots of laughter from TC on Pulse made sure we got our fair amount of ribbing for the episode.

After that it was just a matter of staying high and swapping between number 1, masthead zero and fro all the way to Cape Rodney.

Leading up Cape Rodney we had around 15 knots of breeze and 14 - 18 knots of boat speed on a tight reach ( which these boats LOVE).

We then peeled to gennaker after Cape Rodney and it went aft, soft and pus y. I saw more wind up high so worked really hard to stay as high as possible and we ended up on a super tight reach doing around 8-9 knots of boat speed in about 6 knots of breeze, with a stay sail set inside the gennaker. Perfect angle for the cat into Fairway mark.

Then once around fairway mark my plan was to stay high and sneak out of the tide around Busby head. Unfortunately we sailed out of the tide straight into a huge hole. I quickly saw the error of my plan and gybed back into the tide ( and the breeze) then gybed back, the dropped the kite  and hoisted the no1, then peeled to a code zero to the finish.

This error pretty much cost us a place as we were only 2 minutes behind 2 of 10 on handicap

The great thing about the Route 66 race is the party afterwards. When you dopck into Marsden cove marina you're given a bag which contains a bottle on Mount Gay, bottle of coke and a bag of chips. Then it gets messy. 

Prize giving in the next morning after a full on breakfast fry up. 

Well done 2 of 10, pity you didn't hang around for the party.

Thanks to my awesome co owner Coen who came down on friday morning and helped us rig even though he went tramping for the weekend and my awesome crew Liz who stuck out a really nasty cold and sinus infection.

THIS is an awesome race

20190301_145042_resized.jpg

20190302_071639_resized.jpg

20190301_142426_resized.jpg

20190301_114903_resized.jpg

There's another nacra 36 in a yard a couple miles up the street from my house. And a newly acquired nacra 5.5 being half-assedly restored in my driveway too.  It's still pretty darn hard to find a better catamaran design.  

Hi areocomp, 

What year was your Roland 36 built and what number build? Tom Rolland the builder of the 10 originals was under the impression that Warp Ten   ( his boat that sank) and 2 of 10 were the last two originally made by him that were still sailing.  I am intrested knowing if there are other  siblings and not step brothers or sisters still sailing. It looks as though you are doing a lot of fairing to the hulls which is consistent with an original as the original molds were pretty rough.

I hope you get to sail your boat after the mods and that you give a lot of thought to foils, balancing the sail plan and to the strength of the cross member cradles. All of which were originally pretty cumbersome and a bit of a shot in the dark in the late 70's early 80's. I look forward to seeing the end result if you post your mods. 

My boat has the taller rig as well. It has been a wonderfull experiance being challenged by such a high speed platform. 

Party on philstar. We will catch up with you at some point. When its flat calm after a race and home is only a few hours away the gettin is good as I used to say in the business. The rum is always a good way get a hard fought battle behind you!!! We will be drinking ours soon during a mid winter high level executive bbq. 

• Like 1

Bob! You are the man amigo, good on ya for keeping the pedal down, love reading your stuff! So many great times!

No worries bob. 

It was a pretty horrendous motor sail home the next day straight into 20 knot south easterlys and a couple of metres of seaway.

The second party with Pulse and Crowded House at Kawau was lots of fun though. 

Pooodil. A good life balance at the moment. Surfing, sailing, tinkering. Good to know i still have a few mates in the states.

Philstar. Yea, we were slammed pretty hard the day before going down to Auckland didn't want a repeat.  I hope we get to sail with you next year. Our end of year prize giving is tomorrow night at the club. A couple pickle dishes or bowling trophys and a few "Jacks" may be on the cards.

AEROCOMP. Upon looking at your pictures closer , it could be an original. The dagger boards are definitely old school enough to be 70's early 80's and the rudders are of unknown origin but look very old school. There was some talk of one in the great lakes that broke up or sank. Do you know if it your one? If you sell it good luck. It would be more sellable as a power cat. I have only had one call on mine in a couple months by someone that didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. 

Ah ha! I was wondering if that quick white ghost that left us in the dust was just a fever dream or real. now I know the answer!

grateful for the rum prizes; I think it killed off the bacteria that was killing me, and not being sick made the return party that much more fun!

thanks always for a good race, Phil!

-Long-Suffering Liz :P

39 minutes ago, Lizalonzi said:

Ah ha! I was wondering if that quick white ghost that left us in the dust was just a fever dream or real. now I know the answer!

grateful for the rum prizes; I think it killed off the bacteria that was killing me, and not being sick made the return party that much more fun!

thanks always for a good race, Phil!

-Long-Suffering Liz :P

Fuck I hate short people :P:lol: