89Tiger

Bottom Paint removal?

Looks like chemical stripper is the best alternative to taking off bottom paint?   Anyone have a strong preference or repugnance to particular products?   

Got a Laser 28 to strip & repaint.   Thankfully not a ton of buildup - but since I’m not certain what’s on it now, seems safest to just remove this and put on VC17 after a couple of coats of Epoxy Barrier paint.

I've done soda blasting but not chemical removal. Good results but I had thick layers to remove. Sounds like chemical might be the better option for you. If you are doing this at a boat yard make sure the yard will allow this to be done. Many yards are getting very strick on what they will allow the boat owner to complete especially when it comes to removal of old paint.

• Like 1

I did chemical once.  I wrote the check for soda blast once.  I'll never do chemical again if I can write the check.

• Like 1

I’d gladly write the check and have the bottom done for me - but there isn’t anyone around here that does it anymore.   I could probably haul it 5 hours to Charleston and find someone there - but that is a bigger pain in the @$$ than the chemical I think.   

I may video parts of this adventure to help me remember  the frustration when I’m all done.

I'm regretting not going soda on a similar size yacht, which had a lot greater build up than I thought. still not finished,  but too far to turn back now. 

• Like 1

8” 40 grit paper on about a 2600 rpm machine. You should be done sanding almost all of it in about three hours. 

Use leftover partly used discs to clean up the hard to reach spots 

repair whatever needs to be repaired

grind out fill and fair blisters

apply coatings of choice 

good luck 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 9:00 PM, 89Tiger said:

I’d gladly write the check and have the bottom done for me - but there isn’t anyone around here that does it anymore.   I could probably haul it 5 hours to Charleston and find someone there - but that is a bigger pain in the @$$ than the chemical I think.   

I may video parts of this adventure to help me remember  the frustration when I’m all done.

I'm not sure down there, but up here most soda blasting companies are mobile - the guy that does all of ours in the yard shows up with a trailer and he is essentially self-contained. A quick Google search pointed to at least a few companies that soda blast down in your neck of the woods- it may be worth pricing it out.

• Like 1

If you're committed to chemical stripping, the trick is to get the timing right for how long to let it sit before scraping it off - too short and you'll be going back over the same area several more times; too long and the stripper will dry and nothing will come off. I did the whole bottom on my Cal 27 many years ago and ended up with all of the paint that was on it in a small cardboard box. Just don't work in an enclosed space.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, suider said:

I'm not sure down there, but up here most soda blasting companies are mobile - the guy that does all of ours in the yard shows up with a trailer and he is essentially self-contained. A quick Google search pointed to at least a few companies that soda blast down in your neck of the woods- it may be worth pricing it out.

Thanks for the heads up - I had only checked with the loca marinas that “used to do bottom jobs”  but don’t anymore - or have a reputation of keeping a boat for the entire season.  A google search netted a couple of reasonably local folks that I’m gonna contact this week. :-) 

Like a few other people said, I will gladly pay for Soda Blasting. I own a number of J/22's and I sanded 1 and soda blasted another. Just the time and cleanup to do it yourself is a nightmare. Most places actually have a mobile soda blaster that can come to you as well.

• Like 1

Found a soda blaster guy - towed it to him... he estimates $650 total.   Will be done Monday.    Probably a bargain vs $300 worth of stripper and time I don’t have. :-)

• Like 3

Well, you get to sail in the Sound... I gotta sail on a lake.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I’d trade venues.   Of course, my house would cost 10x too, so I could not afford a boat

Glad you found a solution!! I sand because I like fditingbtge bottom as I remove the old paint and I can usually get done in three or four hours on anything under  30 feet 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I like fditingbtge bottom

I've never heard of that Gouv - can you elucidate? :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I've never heard of that Gouv - can you elucidate? :D

fditingbtge... it is a fatfingered creative spelling of “Fairing the”

If had presidential aspirations I would have used confefe

• Like 2