Sign in to follow this  
Mid

World is ‘on notice’

World is ‘on notice’ as major UN report shows one million species face extinction

A hard-hitting report into the impact of humans on nature shows that nearly one million species risk becoming extinct within decades, while current efforts to conserve the earth’s resources will likely fail without radical action, UN biodiversity experts said on Monday.

• One in four species at risk of extinction

• Crop security threatened long-term

• Marine pollution ‘has increased tenfold since 1980’

https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/05/1037941

• Like 1

The world will evolve and the human race will die out................end of story.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

No worries. Think of it as a business opportunity. 

Pompeo: Melting sea ice presents 'new opportunities for trade'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/politics/pompeo-sea-ice-arctic-council/

Excerpt -

(CNN)Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday praised the Arctic region -- and its rapidly shrinking levels of sea ice -- for its economic opportunities, despite continued warnings about the catastrophic effects of climate change. 

"The Arctic is at the forefront of opportunity and abundance," Pompeo said in remarks in Rovaniemi, Finland. "It houses 13 percent of the world's undiscovered oil, 30 percent of its undiscovered gas, an abundance of uranium, rare earth minerals, gold, diamonds, and millions of square miles of untapped resources, fisheries galore."

I like the accuracy- “within decades”.  Considering the world is going to destroy itself due to climate change in less time than that they seem to have the percentage a bit low. 

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

No worries. Think of it as a business opportunity. 

Pompeo: Melting sea ice presents 'new opportunities for trade'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/politics/pompeo-sea-ice-arctic-council/

Excerpt -

(CNN)Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday praised the Arctic region -- and its rapidly shrinking levels of sea ice -- for its economic opportunities, despite continued warnings about the catastrophic effects of climate change. 

"The Arctic is at the forefront of opportunity and abundance," Pompeo said in remarks in Rovaniemi, Finland. "It houses 13 percent of the world's undiscovered oil, 30 percent of its undiscovered gas, an abundance of uranium, rare earth minerals, gold, diamonds, and millions of square miles of untapped resources, fisheries galore."

With no ice they can now have water parks for kids , trump golf courses , tourism will be the new economy. 

Just now, dacapo said:

With no ice they can now have water parks for kids , trump golf courses , tourism will be the new economy. 

Yes, and all major low lying cities on both coasts will be underwater, just peachy!!  We just moved to house that looks at the river, but from an elevation of 100 feet or more, so we got ours, right?

• Like 1

No ice?...I thought the ice was supposed to be gone years ago.

3 hours ago, Mid said:

World is ‘on notice’ as major UN report shows one million species face extinction

Another environmental prediction that will fail to come true?  How many do we need before most people stop believing?   

Because we all know that crops can only grow in an ice age.

Species extinction is real, verifiable, not false. Morons like Jerk-z and Dog might not give a shit because they are cunts, and stupid ones at that, but that doesn't change it being real.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dog said:

No ice?...I thought the ice was supposed to be gone years ago.

Have you checked out the worlds glaciers lately?.....

1 minute ago, ro! said:

Have you checked out the worlds glaciers lately?.....

Not personally but I do know that 22,000 years ago there was 1/2 a mile of ice where I'm sitting. The point is that the global warming high priests have an abysmal predictive record.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dog said:

Not personally but I do know that 22,000 years ago there was 1/2 a mile of ice where I'm sitting. The point is that the global warming high priests have an abysmal predictive record.

Yes - thats your talking point that you regurgitate from shit science paid for by lobbyists and disseminated in your conservative cesspools. It's such a great point you have to argue it deceptively, searching out new places to lie and be disingenuous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Yes, and all major low lying cities on both coasts will be underwater, just peachy!!  We just moved to house that looks at the river, but from an elevation of 100 feet or more, so we got ours, right?

Yeah, but that will just be lefty losses.

34 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

We will evolve and move to places which are more suitable for life.

Because 7 billion people on an island like Tasmania will be fine.

I didn't know Tasmania was suitable for life..I thought people got sent there for life.

23 minutes ago, Dog said:

Maybe you should check out the Muir Glacier in Alaska, in 60 years the face has moved back 7 miles and and lost 2600 feet of depth..

Reasons to be cheerful....it’s now easier to get to the oil...

16 minutes ago, ro! said:

Maybe you should check out the Muir Glacier in Alaska, in 60 years the face has moved back 7 miles and and lost 2600 feet of depth..

Why do you suppose there is oil there?

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Plate tectonics.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Dead dinos deep underground, same as everywhere else...

50 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Yes - thats your talking point that you regurgitate from shit science paid for by lobbyists and disseminated in your conservative cesspools. It's such a great point you have to argue it deceptively, searching out new places to lie and be disingenuous. 

Its not that human civilization needs fossil fuel to flourish and raise poor out of grinding, miserable poverty.  It is the lobbies.  Yeah, that is it.

Moron.

33 minutes ago, ro! said:

Is a glacier a living thing?  Should we be sad if they melt?   Is an ice age the optimal climate for life on Earth?

2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Species extinction is real, verifiable, not false. Morons like Jerk-z and Dog might not give a shit because they are cunts, and stupid ones at that, but that doesn't change it being real.

The article seems to claim that 2 million species are "at risk" of extinction.  

How many species have gone extinct due to humans?

29 minutes ago, Dog said:

because oil floats to the top when the world spins around?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jzk said:
2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

The article seems to claim that 2 million species are "at risk" of extinction.  

How many species have gone extinct due to humans?

How many do you think have?

It's pretty hard to count, for example going back the human colonization of Australia and North America, where the fossil record strongly suggests that many (many many) animals that humans hunted went extinct shortly (in geological time, almost instantly) after humans showed up.

Then there's ones we recorded as they went, like passenger pigeons and white rhinos.

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

How many do you think have?

It's pretty hard to count, for example going back the human colonization of Australia and North America, where the fossil record strongly suggests that many (many many) animals that humans hunted went extinct shortly (in geological time, almost instantly) after humans showed up.

Then there's ones we recorded as they went, like passenger pigeons and white rhinos.

-DSK

It is not my case to make.  Driving a few billion people back into abject poverty isn't going to help prevent species extinction.  And even if it did, I would wholeheartedly oppose it.

Where is the case for 2 million species being threatened?

This is all academic anyway.  CO2 emissions will continue rising through 2050.  China alone is adding as much coal power capacity this year as the US has in its entire fleet.  

Those fossil fuel lobbies are very powerful in China.

Just now, jzk said:

It is not my case to make. ...

Nor is the economic one, apparently, unless by "making the case" you mean holding it up to mockery

Now, answer the question: "How many species do YOU think have gone extinct, due to action by man"

It's a simple question that YOU asked of others. I gave you the outline and direction of a sensible, intelligent answer. You can follow that, or not, but NOT answering is (yet another) admission that you're not serious. How many chances do you expect to get?

-DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Nor is the economic one, apparently, unless by "making the case" you mean holding it up to mockery

Now, answer the question: "How many species do YOU think have gone extinct, due to action by man"

It's a simple question that YOU asked of others. I gave you the outline and direction of a sensible, intelligent answer. You can follow that, or not, but NOT answering is (yet another) admission that you're not serious. How many chances do you expect to get?

-DSK

I am mocking the clowns that keep making the failed doomsday predictions.   The burden is on them to convince that their warnings are legitimate.  I don't have to do anything.  The status quo is going to increase CO2 emissions through 2050.

And the result will be even more people lifted out of poverty and probably a greener planet with more life.

change_in_leaf_area (1).jpg

roser_poverty_shares.0.jpg

1 hour ago, ro! said:

You win some and you lose some.

8 minutes ago, jzk said:

I am mocking the clowns that keep making the failed doomsday predictions. 

...    ...

You're not very good at it, are you?

And not answering the questions that you demand of others just makes you look like a drooling wingnut jackoff.

-DSK

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You're not very good at it, are you?

And not answering the questions that you demand of others just makes you look like a drooling wingnut jackoff.

-DSK

Only in the eyes of a clown such as yourself.  Meanwhile, fossil fuel use will grow, people will flourish, and the planet will be very healthy.  

The clowns will be voting against it, however.  Phil Jones will be "worried" that the planet might escape crisis and doom.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

Duct tape Ignore function won't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound.

The good thing is that, for now, the stupid people are not running things and are not yet able to wreck our civilization.  But they are at the gate.  Germany seems to be willing to make its poor people pay more for energy, and it seems that Canada is not far behind. 

9 hours ago, Mid said:

One of the first that should be all the liberals in the mega city centers.

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

One of the first that should be all the liberals in the mega city centers.

Studies have shown that people who live in mega city centers with public transportation have a much smaller carbon footprint then suburban and rural people who drive their cars everywhere every day.  Footprint for heating and cooling is similarly smaller, in multi-family and apartment housing.

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

You can't be serious.

Why not?

7 hours ago, jzk said:

Its not that human civilization needs fossil fuel to flourish and raise poor out of grinding, miserable poverty.  It is the lobbies.  Yeah, that is it.

Moron.

Human civilization does not need fossil fuel to flourish and raise the poor out of poverty.  Are you living in the 1800's or something?

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Because you say it is there! :)

3 hours ago, jzk said:

The good thing is that, for now, the stupid people are not running things and are not yet able to wreck our civilization...

:lol::D:P :angry:

5 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It's use will grow forever.

Yes! I agree!  I just bought an E Go electric mower!  

That thing is a powerful argument for oil!  ;)

I love it!  So much better than a gas mower!

Of course many people aren’t saying that!

Except when they are!

I have no problem with that, duh.  Until I just thought it over!

now it’s no!  No! No! No!

49 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Human civilization does not need fossil fuel to flourish and raise the poor out of poverty.  Are you living in the 1800's or something?

Make a case if you like.  But it is currently what powers our civilization and is the reason for our doubled lifespan.  It might not always be the power source of choice, but it sure is now.  Are you suggesting nuclear?  I suspect there is a way to do nuclear in a very efficient manner.  As long as the enviro-nutjobs don't cause it to be over regulated.

44 minutes ago, Amati said:

Yes! I agree!  I just bought an E Go electric mower!  

That thing is a powerful argument for oil!  ;)

I love it!  So much better than a gas mower!

Of course many people aren’t saying that!

Except when they are!

I have no problem with that, duh.  Until I just thought it over!

now it’s no!  No! No! No!

I have one too but most of my electricity is from coal.

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Studies have shown that people who live in mega city centers with public transportation have a much smaller carbon footprint then suburban and rural people who drive their cars everywhere every day.  Footprint for heating and cooling is similarly smaller, in multi-family and apartment housing.

Does this footprint include all the carbon getting the food, water, sewer, rubbish etc dealt with in this mega city?

13 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Does this footprint include all the carbon getting the food, water, sewer, rubbish etc dealt with in this mega city?

A number of Pacific islanders are looking at new Zealand as a likely place to live when their islands finally sink beneath the waves.

Yeah!!!!!

2 hours ago, jzk said:

Make a case if you like.  But it is currently what powers our civilization and is the reason for our doubled lifespan.  It might not always be the power source of choice, but it sure is now.  Are you suggesting nuclear?  I suspect there is a way to do nuclear in a very efficient manner.  As long as the enviro-nutjobs don't cause it to be over regulated.

you're on the wrong side of history asshole, it's a shame you'll be worm junk food before it's written in stone.

18 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

you're on the wrong side of history asshole, it's a shame you'll be worm junk food before it's written in stone. 

Yeah, you will be remembered as one of the 21st century clowns that still believed in superstition.  Hard to believe that in this day and age so many people believe in imaginary things.

But hey, if you buy a $500 electric lawn mower, you too can "save the planet."

3 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

do you think you're conversing with idiots?

Yes.  In your case, that is exactly what I think.

12 minutes ago, jzk said:

Yeah, you will be remembered as one of the 21st century clowns that still believed in superstition.  Hard to believe that in this day and age so many people believe in imaginary things.

But hey, if you buy a $500 electric lawn mower, you too can "save the planet."

deflect, lie, deplorable cunt.

1 minute ago, 3to1 said:

deflect, lie, deplorable cunt.

Have you disconnected yourself from the grid?  Do you drive a car?  What is your CO2 footprint?

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I have one too but most of my electricity is from coal.

99% renewables - wind and water.  (The 14% coal  is over on the wet side of the State ) Our Gov, who's running for president has signed a clean energy bill this afternoon for the state.

https://www.publicnewsservice.org/2019-05-07/climate-change-air-quality/gov-inslee-signs-strongest-clean-energy-bill-in-nation/a66384-1

And I’d like to point out that we’re sailors here on PA, not sooty steamboaters from the 1890’s.

12 minutes ago, jzk said:

Have you disconnected yourself from the grid?  Do you drive a car?  What is your CO2 footprint?

Those of us who give a shit make a conscious effort each day to reduce our carbon footprint.  Some are able to make big changes and others make the small changes they can afford to do. Its fools like you who can't even comprehend basic science that make it that much harder for the rest of us to make sure you have clean air to breathe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

Yes.  It is much more efficient to deliver goods and services to central locations rather than dispersed consumers*.   Sorry to burst that little hopeful deflecting bubble.

*Unless the rural consumers eat only what they grow on site.  Works out great for turnip farmers and frackers.  

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

A number of Pacific islanders are looking at new Zealand as a likely place to live when their islands finally sink beneath the waves.

Yeah!!!!!

My problem is they fuck their own place  more than any sea level rise has done then want the world to solve it.

As for wanting to come here, if the choice is here or Aussie it would be hard to fault their choice. 

47 minutes ago, jzk said:

Hey, you can do math.  That was awesome.  But how many species have gone extinct due to humans?

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140529-conservation-science-animals-species-endangered-extinction/

4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Yes.  It is much more efficient to deliver goods and services to central locations rather than dispersed consumers*.   Sorry to burst that little hopeful deflecting bubble.

*Unless the rural consumers eat only what they grow on site.  Works out great for turnip farmers and frackers.  

Not hope deflecting, just asking a question. Of course the mega city inhabitants also need those nasty rural consumers to supply a lot of what the consume (like turnips). Or deal with water supply or rubbish disposal. 

7 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Not hope deflecting, just asking a question. Of course the mega city inhabitants also need those nasty rural consumers to supply a lot of what the consume (like turnips). Or deal with water supply or rubbish disposal. 

Of course those rural inhabitants need those nasty mega city inhabitants to supply a lot of things they need to lead their lives ... like their manufactured goods, their equipment, clothing, banking, communications, scientific research, entertainment, education, national defense...those sorts of helpful things.   

Oh, and the wallets that pay for their highly desirable produce.

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

Of course those rural inhabitants need those nasty mega city inhabitants to supply a lot of things they need to lead their lives ... like their manufactured goods, their equipment, clothing, banking, communications, scientific research, entertainment, education, national defense...those sorts of helpful things.   

Oh, and the wallets that pay for their highly desirable produce.

So what you are saying is that both groups need each other to carry on, therefore it is foolish to think you can split things like carbon footprint from one group and use it to beat on the other group. 

Great, we can agree on something. 

1 hour ago, jzk said:

Hey, you can do math.  That was awesome.  But how many species have gone extinct due to humans?

We're waiting for you to give YOUR answer to that question.

-DSK

56 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Those of us who give a shit make a conscious effort each day to reduce our carbon footprint.  Some are able to make big changes and others make the small changes they can afford to do. Its fools like you who can't even comprehend basic science that make it that much harder for the rest of us to make sure you have clean air to breathe.

CO2 has nothing to do with the "clean air" you breathe.  Just some basic science for you.

Are you on the grid?  Do you have a boat?  Do you have a car?  Where does your food come from?

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

We're waiting for you to give YOUR answer to that question.

-DSK

Get used to disappointment.  I am not making the case that 1/4 of Earth's species are threatened with extinction.  That would be you clowns.  

12 hours ago, Dog said:

So that’s the question that comes to your mind ” why do you think there is oil there”?

Not where did all that fucking ice go and why?

Just shows you are here trolling....I’m done..

10 hours ago, J28 said:

You win some and you lose some.

No..it’s win win for the trumpers, coal companies, oil companies and those greedy  eviromental rapists..

Its lose lose for the rest of the world especially my grand kids who are going to have to deal with all this fuckery....

3 minutes ago, ro! said:

No..it’s win win for the trumpers, coal companies, oil companies and those greedy  eviromental rapists..

Its lose lose for the rest of the world especially my grand kids who are going to have to deal with all this fuckery....

Are you connected to the grid?  Do you drive an automobile?  Where do you get your food?

18 minutes ago, toecutter said:

Soooo.. Put your hand up if you're a dickhead that thinks global warming is a pivotal cause of species extinction.

I thought so.

Both are anthropogenic.  So humans are the pivotal cause of both. 

Got it?  Good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jzk said:

CO2 has nothing to do with the "clean air" you breathe.  Just some basic science for you.

Are you on the grid?  Do you have a boat?  Do you have a car?  Where does your food come from?

That's the thing moron, one doesn't need to be off the grid or stop driving.  I drive a fuel efficient car but also take the train and bus or ride my bike.  I buy local food, have an old boat and pay extra to my utility for renewable energy.  And if you would take your stupidity hat off and pretend to be smart, you could actually contribute to solutions.  Instead you just sit here and keep proving to the world how dumb you are.

2 hours ago, Gissie said:

So what you are saying is that both groups need each other to carry on, therefore it is foolish to think you can split things like carbon footprint from one group and use it to beat on the other group. 

Great, we can agree on something. 

Who was doing that other than the ones who want to deflect from a rational understanding of what is happening to our planet, caused by careless, greedy, uninformed and/or too many humans.

So there is no intent or need to shift responsibility for carbon footprint.  It’s all of us but those who can effectively legislate solutions are beholden to either the money grubbers or their self-serving denial.

Just now, toecutter said:

You're logic is illogical.

But I'm guessing you raised your hand.

You obviously majored in teleological studies.  

9 minutes ago, toecutter said:

But I'm guessing you raised your hand.

Have you stopped beating your wife?

46 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Who was doing that other than the ones who want to deflect from a rational understanding of what is happening to our planet, caused by careless, greedy, uninformed and/or too many humans.

So there is no intent or need to shift responsibility for carbon footprint.  It’s all of us but those who can effectively legislate solutions are beholden to either the money grubbers or their self-serving denial.

What about all those millions of folk in the world that would like to get a refrigerator or maybe some air conditioning. Let alone a car or even a small motorbike. It is all very nice that you make your little effort, you already have most of what you need. So do you get to tell these hundreds of millions of people they get to wait while we develop new technologies before they can advance. 

As for those beholden or in denial, with the length of time it has been known I assume you include Democrats as those who have sat on their hands. 

Those who worship money will always find a way to justify the necessary means for accumulating it 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gissie said:

What about all those millions of folk in the world that would like to get a refrigerator or maybe some air conditioning. Let alone a car or even a small motorbike. It is all very nice that you make your little effort, you already have most of what you need. So do you get to tell these hundreds of millions of people they get to wait while we develop new technologies before they can advance. 

As for those beholden or in denial, with the length of time it has been known I assume you include Democrats as those who have sat on their hands. 

oh, the fkg crocodile tears, you righties have recently become true humanitarians, and who the fk knew one has to increase one's detrimental impact on the planet to 'advance'? all things considered, your rationale is shit, it reminds me of Exxon's.

57 minutes ago, toecutter said:

it is if you live in an alternate reality.

2 hours ago, toecutter said:

In my reality, the oceans filling with plastic waste isn't a consequence of climate change

Neither is it responsible for the destruction of old growth forests

etc

that's extremely fkg obvious, mate (we agree). anyway, as 'left shift' pointed out, 99.99999% of all this obscene shit is anthropogenic, a simple fact which you seemed to dismiss, thus my comment to you regarding reality.

2 hours ago, 3to1 said:

oh, the fkg crocodile tears, you righties have recently become true humanitarians, and who the fk knew one has to increase one's detrimental impact on the planet to 'advance'? all things considered, your rationale is shit, it reminds me of Exxon's.

You righties. What a dumb fucker you are. All bluster with no reading or comprehension skills. You make Trump look like a new Einstein. The opposition must have wet themselves with laughter if you were named on the debating team. Dick. 

6 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

That's the thing moron, one doesn't need to be off the grid or stop driving.  I drive a fuel efficient car but also take the train and bus or ride my bike.  I buy local food, have an old boat and pay extra to my utility for renewable energy.  And if you would take your stupidity hat off and pretend to be smart, you could actually contribute to solutions.  Instead you just sit here and keep proving to the world how dumb you are.

So you use fossil fuel and your entire lifestyle depends upon it?

What is your old boat made out of?  What powers it?  What if 7 billion people had such a boat?

Sounds like you are the moron.  And the hypocrite.  

8 hours ago, ro! said:

So that’s the question that comes to your mind ” why do you think there is oil there”?

Not where did all that fucking ice go and why?

Just shows you are here trolling....I’m done..

I only mention it because at the time the oil deposits formed the  planet was warmer, atmospheric CO2 levels were 2.5 times what they are now and there were no ice caps at all (ice caps btw, are an anomaly, for most of the planet's existence there have been no ice caps at all)

1 hour ago, jzk said:

So you use fossil fuel and your entire lifestyle depends upon it?

What is your old boat made out of?  What powers it?  What if 7 billion people had such a boat?

Sounds like you are the moron.  And the hypocrite.  

Uh? I am actively reducing my carbon footprint. I am literally doing all the things i am asking others to do.  How does that make me a hypocrite? 

9 hours ago, jzk said:

Get used to disappointment.  I am not making the case that 1/4 of Earth's species are threatened with extinction.  That would be you clowns.  

You have a problem with reading comprehension.

You are not being asked to "make the case that 1/4 of Earth's species are threatened with extinction."

You asked others "How many species have gone extinct due to man?"

You appear to be unwilling to answer that question yourself, even after I gave you some very good hints.

Stupid? Dishonest? Both?

-DSK