patmo141

I Want to Go Fast and Party Too (Maine Cat 22)

My friend and I are under contract on the Maine Cat that has been listed for a while in VA. 

https://www.mecat.com/brokerage/maine-cat-22/

We traveled up for a test sail a few weekends ago, made and offer, and now we are in the process of planning transportation.  We have a few projects and goals and I'll be posting here as things develop and our experiences with the boat.

Our planned projects are as follows....#1 and #2 are definitely happening, the remaining are just daydreams at the moment.  

1.  Customizing a Trailer and Transporting

2.  Replacing/Rebuilding so of the deck hardware

3.  Replacing halyards and control lines

4.  Adding a DIY, open source, chartplotter/datalogger/windspeed/wind vane etc

5.  Maybe adding a bowsprit with furling light wind sail of some kind..

For now, we are just going to get it home, fix the critical pieces (eg, traveler) and enjoy getting to know the boat.

Stay Tuned!

-Patrick

The first challenge is building a trailer.  We are currenlty planning to start with a 22' to 24' flat bottom boat trailer or pontoon boat trailer, and then add custom elements on that either fold or detach to handle the folding/unfolding.  We have looked at a few trailer frames but it's hard to visualize exactly what we need.  So I've built a contour gauge, and then designed the rough CAD model so I can see what the various frames look like underneath in terms of where the axle will be relative to the hulls, the winch post etc.

• Like 1

Nice to see your approach to modeling in Blender. I do boat design in Rhino3D and have tried Blender every few years but there is something about it that I just can't connect with. Don't see much boat work done in Blender. 

You will love the Maine Cat. Keep your efforts documented. Someone here was going to buy one a couple of years ago and it sounded he just wanted to put stupid large OB motors on it and ruin a great boat. I think he got a load of shit from the gang here and hope he didn't bastardize the Newick design. You sound like you are on the right track!

I named my thread after the original I wanna go fast and party thread, which was entertaining to say the least.  I'll keep this thread about my Maine Cat other than the title :-).  I did offer to take that boat off of his hands or even the rig/sails but we never connected.  I think Chanceman is busy.

Blender is not great for boat modelling, but it's free and I'm very experienced with it.  It has practically no NURBS or surface tools.  But now I have a reasonable model for mocking up the trailer...and bow sprit etc.  More to come.

I think those are very some very nice, though rare boats.  I would keep everything as simple and light as possible since it's already a somewhat heavy boat.  I've found that handheld gps, or phone, tablet or smartwatch gives me plenty of info.  My fitbit ionic has been great for tracking and giving speed etc. though the bluetooth music function is glitchy.   

I was able to go for a test sail with Dick Vermeulen in Portland when the 22 was introduced. What a great boat. Unfortunately Maine Cat made minimal if any profit on each one built so there was only a short run prior to moving on to the larger boats. Maine Cat may have information about the original trailer. You’re going to have fun.

We found a decent trailer frame from a 24' flat bottom boat for a reasonable price.  A local steel supply co can provide a 20 foot sticks of galvanized square tubing.  Our initial thought is to just have some simple telescoping bars.

Trailer Frame = $800

20 feet of 2"  square 3/16" wall thickness galvanized tubing for $125

20 feet of 2.5" square 3/16" wall thickness galvanized tubing $150

12, 2 foot segments of 2 x 10".  A 12' board is 17.50 at Home Depot = $35

U bolts and tie plates for telescoping cross members = $50 (estimated 2 x $20 kits)

Central Bunks = $75

Total = $1235, and lets just say $1500 by the time we actually figure out what we are doing.  Not bad

Check out Richard Woods smaller cats. He has hulls that fold under a central cuddy. Lots of photos of the boats on trailers. Might give you some good ideas.

Be very careful welding/cutting galv... lots of ventilation even when grinding and especially when burning wire. No worries for slow-speed toothed tooling, as with a bandsaw.

I looked at a Brine Shrimp which had a similar fold-in-the-middle design... it was trailered and launched folded, then unfolded and rigged in the water and I was impressed at the simplicity/elegance of that. Unless you are going to drysail and store mast-up, you may be able to get buy with simple padded cradles.

Randii

Good friend owns one, previously owned a couple of F40’s and a carbon Roberts 22 ( super Supercat) - he loves the MC22, fits his needs perfectly.

I helped him out with some performance upgrades - rotating the stock spar, Spectra rigging, different profile, durable sails inc. vertical batten furling jib and a screecher - fast, handy and comfy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boardhead said:

Good friend owns one, previously owned a couple of F40’s and a carbon Roberts 22 ( super Supercat) - he loves the MC22, fits his needs perfectly.

I helped him out with some performance upgrades - rotating the stock spar, Spectra rigging, different profile, durable sails inc. vertical batten furling jib and a screecher - fast, handy and comfy.

I would love to hear more about screecher!  Can we get your friend on here?  It's hard to find info about these boats, and even harder to find current owners.

On 5/7/2019 at 1:24 PM, mundt said:

I think those are very some very nice, though rare boats.  I would keep everything as simple and light as possible since it's already a somewhat heavy boat.  I've found that handheld gps, or phone, tablet or smartwatch gives me plenty of info.  My fitbit ionic has been great for tracking and giving speed etc. though the bluetooth music function is glitchy.   

Just the GPS on a phone does a great job.  The chartplotter/datalogger project is just a geeky form of additional entertainment with almost zero practical necessity.  I will be getting a drone flight controller (has GPS, acellerometers and compass) and interfacing it with a wind vane and anemometer.  The popular open source flight control software "Ardupilot" has recently been updated to include code/framework for sailing vessels.  We won't be steering the boat with this but it will tack apparent wind speed/angle, VMG, speed over ground etc etc.  My goal would be to generate a polar plot for the boat.  For anyone interested:

https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/sailboat-support/32060

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Just get that cat sailing first. You have some mad skillz but that stuff can wait.

Got the galvanized tubing and all the u bolts and tie plates for the telescoping wings today.  The steel supply shop cut it for me.  All I had to do was knock off the burs and sharp edges with an angle grinder.  Progress.

This is not the trailer frame we are using, but it worked as a decent stand in for the moment.

Got some parts and pieces assembled for our little DIY autopilot/data logger.

GPS, (apparent) wind direction, heading, speed over ground all working.  Next is setting up the wind speed sensor.

The trailer is coming along as .  We have the frame and have it ready to apply our custom bunks.

• Like 1

Arrived in home port at 2am.  Tomorrow we unfold, rig and relaunch.  Full story on the retrieval journey later.

IMG_20190601_174309.jpg

• Like 3

Exciting time - Well Played.

Such a cool boat!

Well that’s why God gave you two!

14 hours ago, french do it better said:

I'd be afraid to accidentally lose a testicle sitting on the floor so close to where the boat folds.

No balls were harmed however there was a penis pinch but not by the seam. Leaning over the back beam to raise the motor, knee pushed tiller extension into tiller cross bar...ZING.  No permanent harm done.

On 6/3/2019 at 8:13 PM, cyclone said:

Very cool. Even bigger parties once the front net goes on.

The tamp track was cracked and falling apart but the previous owner had a new tack but it was not installed. Pete took care of that yesterday.   Apparently a real bitch to get to all the bolts through the small hatches in the mid deck. 

I'm going to start back filling in the retrieval story for anyone interested since we learned a lot and it might be instructive for some and entertaining for others.

Day 1:  Thursday Night.  3 of us meet at my house to prep the trailer, have some pizza and beer and get hyped for the trip.

Plan: 

-Swap tires for newer ones

-Pre-assemble the bunks and telescopes

-Have pizza and beer, pack the van, prepare for early departure

Actual:

-I bought the wrong size galvanized straps for the U-Bolts that hold down the cross beams....a deal breaker.

-Go to Home Depot twice, find some  3/8" galvanized plate

-Realizing we are f**ed and about to have to cut to size and then drill 16 x 1/2" holes in 3/8" galvanized with no drill press, we buy more beer on the way home from home depot.

-Work till midnight with power tools in the side yard, probably annoying the heck out of the neighbors.  No letters from HoA yet.

-We got the bunks pre-assembled, changed the tires, but did not get the telescopes/wings made or the van packed

Day 2:  Drive from Wilmington, NC to the "Northern Neck" (peninsula in VA on the Chesapeake)

Plan: Leave at 7:00am, drive 6 hours to VA, sign paperwork/check, motor the boat from lift to the Air BnB, go for a sail, then un-step the mast, disassemble.

Actual:

-Wake up at 5:30am, coffee, breakfast, pack the van.

-6:45am, on time, we back the van up and the hitch configuration is too low.  We can't break loose the ball to flip the riser.  Back to Home Depot, buy a 5" rise hitch.

-Depart 8:05AM

-8:45AM, stop, safety check, 1/8 turn on lug nuts, buy snacks

-1PM, we stop at the "Trailer Outlet" to get some longer U Bolts for the mast cradle.  http://www.traileroutletva.com/  Shout out to this place, it's dope. Spoiler alert, we bought the wrong size..but don't realize it until the next day

-3:30pm, get to sellers house, sign paperwork, shake hands,  I leave the dock to motor over to the Air BnB dock, Pete drives around to meet me there.

1275275671_airbnb.thumb.png.2a596d7fcc54d0a4cd9f39cb342bfbeb.png-

1994057642_motortoairbnb.thumb.jpg.09ba70617f4c4a4a212b70de9bda59d9.jpg

4:30pm to 6:30pm, Go for a quick light wind sail

1275343502_lightwindsail.thumb.JPG.8ced66c2bd991e2a0d63c19d06d478ba.JPG

Return to  beach, de-rig, take down the mast down.  A note on taking a mast down while it's still in the water, make sure the boat is REALLY secure.  We had her beachd, and used the main halyard attached to the roof racks of the van.  In the last 20 degrees, the leverage actually pulled the boat another foot up on the sand.  It was a slow and steady slide up the sand, but could have been very unlucky with a dropped mast.

naked.thumb.JPG.143a50d0089a64172e4029e97ce78083.JPG

9:30pm.  Call it a day, make dinner.  We didn't eat lunch, I've got the worst heartburn of my life form this really lemony humus that we ate on the way up.  But life is good.

• Like 2

That is a cool boat,  kinda retro.  Love the windshields.  I can see why that other guy "thought" it would make a fun motor boat but that of course was all wrong.

where'r'all'da'wimin?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 11:53 PM, patmo141 said:

Arrived in home port at 2am.  Tomorrow we unfold, rig and relaunch.  Full story on the retrieval journey later.

IMG_20190601_174309.jpg

My first cat was a B-Lion and it trailered the same way!

B-lion folded.JPG

Let's take a diversion for a minute to thank our Air BnB Hosts.  Firstly it was incredibly lucky that the place even existed.  We would have had to do the boat yard thing, pay for a haul out and rent a hotel etc.  This was less expensive even paying the two night minimum and we could sleep 50 yards from our work site.  They were rock stars and let us roll up and commence a construction project on their river compound.  He even brought out a small tractor out and helped us lift the centerline to get the folding started.  If you are considering a boating vacation to the Northern Neck area of vriginia, PM me and I'll send you their way.

-As luck would have it, he's a catamaran connoisseur himself.  On the dock were an ocean racing cat (converted to center console with twin 350's that does 70mph plus) and a twin vee runabout.  Granted these are power cats, but he did say "If it ain't a cat...it's a dog"

assistance.JPG

folding_assistance.JPG

cats.jpg

Awesome boat and cool bnb.  Depending on where it is it’s only about 40 sailing miles from me... that could be a cool weekend get away.  I’ll hit you up on pm.

Since we last chatted....tramp installed, travelers rebuilt, cams replaced,

It's been sailed every weekend, over 10 individual voyages, 24 people (two infants) and three dogs have been on board.

This weekend was epic.  5 outings  (1 fri, 2 sat, 2 today).  We had great wind, and great tides that facilitated carelessly cruising around in clear water over sandy shoals.  Thew we sailed up the river, beached for a shrimp cocktail  and to pick up two more friends before going for a cruise through the marsh at high tide.  This boat is freaking incredible.

2nd leg of trip.  SW wind made the tight upwind passage a workout, but this view on the way home was worth it.

WTVXOoi3lG-gj6UiK42xV81yy3rmdSDG01yi64Me

4kqQdm63MIfnKqinc9qN4FsaVyK3oOQ7DfMzuERQ

• Like 2

Cruising along at 8 knots.  This corresponds to the 4 minute mark in the above video.

• Like 2

Your dog is loving it! 

My old Newfie loved going out on our Spirit 17 catamaran in the 90s. It wasn't fast with him on board, but he loved it!

Randii

This boat is absolutely the best damn daysailing sled on the planet.  Its tame enough to be safe and relatively worry free, but fast and fun enough to be really exciting.  This whole season of day-sailing has been leading up to a distance sail with the plan to sail from Beaufort to Cape Lookout and back.  We started to get excited the week before when the forecast started shaping up.  At times the forecast was looking a little scary (27knts gusting to 35) but by the time Saturday rolled around, it was blowing 18 to 20knots from the NE.

646600140_WindForecast(2).png.270a1d94148753c2699633cef9748ccb.png

.  We shoved off and decided to cruise down the creek while we got our snacks arranged, sunscreen on, stuff organized etc.  Being in the lee of the land and sailing close to the wind it was an extremely gentle leg in calm water. 

1188597422_TaylorsCreek.thumb.jpg.afaaad5f2a2dd98ff7a7f2d54785cc2e.jpg

Once left the creek, we got into some real breeze.  A couple of tacks tacks and bends  to avoid the shoaling at the mouth of the creek and another bar, followed by a narrow sneak to get into back sound.  At this point we got our first taste of speed and touched 11knots as we cracked off the wind to follow the narrow cut.
322967625_CreektoSound.thumb.jpg.ce89ece3e3a660aba317359ed593b295.jpg

Then we got back into the lee of Harkers island, and had a long leg of uneventful close hauled with a couple of tacks to work our way across back sound at 6 to 9 knots.
1502759436_BackSound.thumb.jpg.f8b36b966af4f54a61fec229c6d97225.jpg

Coming out from behind Harker's Island, we really got to experience the 20+ knot winds coming down Core Sound.  After the turn we made a downwind run/reach against a pretty stiff current through the shoals.

490874234_IntotheBite.thumb.jpg.91fba655c3de299f87ad0a4c5cd290b9.jpg

We reached the cape much sooner than expected.  Our pleasant downwind leg was with a following 2ft to 3ft wind swell being stiffened up by the opposing current.  We decided that we beating back upwind against that might be unpleasant so we decided to have a look at the ocean side for the return. We went into the bight and took a look, and seas were flat.  Party time.  We ripped down the ocean side of Shackelford banks.  Sheltered from waves, but getting all the wind we want.  It was incredible.

1214988560_BombingShack.thumb.jpg.f79389d6bd6fa711b22c81006ae749c2.jpg

Even though this video is silly, and my friend was worried about me filming through the dry bag, this short video sums up the energy and vibe of this trip and this boat.  A freaking blast. 

Summary Data.  We had tablet and 3 phones recording for different parts of the trip. One phone registered 15.8knots which may have been a bad reading, the tablet clearly glitched and read 35mph.  but we have two simultaneous readings of 14.8 knots on two different phones so we are claiming that all day.

41255460_performancedata.thumb.jpg.c1d3d724df34cb48c94a70b4fb50c0ee.jpg

For anyone interested
https://webapp.navionics.com/maps/#show/kml/https://social-sharing.navionics.io/upload/1570404143032/1570404143032.kml
https://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#userId=1157973&updatedAt=2019-10-05T18:41:31Z&dt=2019-10-05T10:43:11-04:00..2019-10-05T14:39:47-04:00https://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#userId=1153029&updatedAt=2019-10-06T01:36:36Z&dt=2019-10-05T12:59:51-04:00..2019-10-05T14:38:32-04:00&boat=Boat

• Like 1

You guys are a breath of fresh air here on SA! Great thread and great storytelling and great documentation of you guys out there DOING it! Keep up the great work. Did I mention GREAT?

• Like 1

Forgot to give y'all some winter updates.  In early December we had to motor her 28 miles to her winter resting spot. We had two weekend options  and our weather window was either 20knots NE (on the nose for this northward journey) or 0-3knots.  We chose 0 to 3. Boring, but beautiful. 

Since we knew we were going to be motoring the whole way, we took the opportunity to upgrade the prop to a high thrust prop.  The boat isn't any faster under power, but the motor is in a better RPM range. 

On 6/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, patmo141 said:

Since we last chatted....tramp installed, travelers rebuilt, cams replaced,

It's been sailed every weekend, over 10 individual voyages, 24 people (two infants) and three dogs have been on board.

This weekend was epic.  5 outings  (1 fri, 2 sat, 2 today).  We had great wind, and great tides that facilitated carelessly cruising around in clear water over sandy shoals.  Thew we sailed up the river, beached for a shrimp cocktail  and to pick up two more friends before going for a cruise through the marsh at high tide.  This boat is freaking incredible.

2nd leg of trip.  SW wind made the tight upwind passage a workout, but this view on the way home was worth it.

WTVXOoi3lG-gj6UiK42xV81yy3rmdSDG01yi64Me

4kqQdm63MIfnKqinc9qN4FsaVyK3oOQ7DfMzuERQ

Install a clew strop on your mainsail - the sail shape will be a lot more stable/faster and you'll gain headroom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, longy said:

Install a clew strop on your mainsail - the sail shape will be a lot more stable/faster and you'll gain headroom

Thank you! I've always hated that.  Sometimes when something is new, you just accept it as it is.  Then after a while, you get bliind to it. That's an easy fix.

MVIMG_20200520_164552.thumb.jpg.5d4f6298a3be32348bcc19bce0d6f8c1.jpg

NEW LINES for 2020!  I've read some articles about practical ways for selecting new lines but here are the real major keys to success.

1.  Go to APS.com to do some window shopping.  Forgot APS only does clothes now.

2.  Measure old lines in hallway, fret over how stretched out they are  https://youtu.be/-MMW66P2U_o

3.  Do some forum reading, get some ideas, start compulsively researching current line tech

4.  Do a little window shopping at west marine website

5.  Rediscover the APS youtube channel

6.  Fret again over measurements

7.  Brilliant idea....email builder for original spec (attached).  Dick form Main Cat has been awesome.

8. Mega spreadsheet  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/166DISDmhvbJsaUiM4kI3Vy8SR0ogF0JNTqL9JsCqfPU/edit?usp=sharing

9.  With 10 days till launch, realize get something decent and just do it. Order lines, but don't pay for expedited shipping.  Fingers crossed

10.  Make unboxing parody video part 1

11. Forget unboxing video is a parody, and genuinely get into unboxing video part 2.

MC 22 lines list.pdf

Lines Order.pdf

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:22 AM, longy said:

Done.  Yes it's way better.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

This is fun, in the spirit of Newicks' Cheers.  My son can't understand why people make sailing unfun "If they don't enjoy it why do they do it."

• Like 2

Last weekend we sailed back from the northern resting spot to home base.  We did not plan to do it on Memorial Day weekend however the forecast was for 12 to 15kts from the ENE, N, NWish which meant we would have cooler temps and perfect points of sail.  We devised a plan to do the first 2/3 of the trip in the morning to mid-day with my parents as passengers and then swap them for wives and a baby for the final leg.  Tide was outgoing through Barden's which gave us a boost but we fought it on the return through Beaufort Inlet.  Left the dock at 9:15, pulled into the slip at 4:00pm.  We made a 20 minute pit stop in Davis and a 50 minute lunch/passenger swap on Harker's island.  We also tacked a few times while fishing off of Shackleford.  Our guess is we did 42 miles in less than 6 hours moving on the water. 
image.thumb.png.66972dfe40c5f71f4f03c7660e34ebf2.png

First Leg in Core Sound.  We caught 3 Spanish on the inside trolling a single handline.  Winds 9 to 12kts

mom_maincat.jpg.ce5ab3549707873994d0679e7cdc276f.jpgdownwind_run.jpg.436295d5c141b2b740c7d7c62c17a93b.jpg

2nd Leg.  The wind picked up to closer to 15-17 with some gusts. We put in the 2nd reef in while in the lookout bite for the ocean leg.

cape_lookout.thumb.jpg.e3ef4d06ce7c69b479ec732780f6c94f.jpg

Trolling Speed on 2nd reef. Look at that wake! 

trolling_speed.thumb.jpg.edba0f738d81454e59c848ef1c5c0b6c.jpg

mc_spanish.jpg.d0d9b884b6dd73f356f6def7decfdfb4.jpgmc_fish.thumb.JPG.e86d0cf19d11c16f1688ee4fc040f8e6.JPG

Yes , a great thread IMO because a boat is being used exactly how it was intended to be used by the builder and designer and the owner is having a blast doing it.  A great vicarious pleasure.

• Like 1

One year ago today it was a Thursday night and 2 friends I were staying up late drilling holes in galvanized steel plate to make parts for the trailer because I botched the order.

I'm glad folks are enjoying the thread.  I have appreciated the encouragement and the insights everyone here has provided.

-P

Signed up just to comment on this thread. I am also the owner of a Maine Cat 22 in Boston. I obtained a replacement trampoline net from atninc.com. They should still have the dimensions. It's not the same type of net, it's much better and more open. I removed the existing plastic retaining pieces and instead put small stainless eyebolts in the screw holes that where used to mount the plastic, then lashed the net to those eyebolts. Worked great and was inexpensive. Might ask them to increase the dimensions 2 inches in each direction.

My boat had some oddities, it had the outboard mounted amidships in a box. Ugly. Since removed, the hole filled, and the (now electric) outboard mounted on the stern where it belongs. Also has a strange setup for the self tacking jib which rides on a stainless steel rod instead of a proper traveler, but it does the job. I like your curved track, not sure that was stock either.

I have an original trailer but I've never folded the boat, just store it on the trailer at the club.

20190908_175537.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

BTW I have no idea how fast I've gone... everytime it's in the double digits I'm too busy to look at the GPS. Need to record tracks like you do. Most of the time I'm relaxing with the tiller in one hand and a beverage in the other doing an easy 7-9 knots. Self tacking jib FTW. I did have a sudden gust come up when I was out solo with no reef in took off like a rocket, passed a heeled over monohull like it was stopped. Only when I started to get waves over the leeward hull did I realize that I was being dumb and probably moments away from a pitchpole. Luckily I have bilge pumps installed (since it lives on a mooring) because that hull filled up with water quick. I don't think it's easy to flip this boat but I hope I never find out.

I talked to Dick Vermeulen about a screecher and he didn't recommend it, although it's been done. Said not enough buoyancy forward to safely carry that much foresail. 

I spend a lot of time sailing with one board down and the other up. I find that the drag of two boards doesn't seem to be justified by the reduction in leeway, not that I have hard numbers to back it up, just that two boards feels like throwing out a drogue.

Edited by Ackattack
Added more info
  • Like 2

I remember watching that boat listed on CL a few years ago. Looked like a good deal, just couldn't get myself down to look at it (and promised myself not to own 2 boats at one time!). Sold to you it seems; I have a little regret not grabbing it. Glad it's being used and enjoyed. I ended up with a Stiletto 23... Less relaxing, definitely speedy.

Cheers!

Sorry I've been quiet lately.  Two weekends ago the wind was a little light and it was hot.  The answer for that is evening sails.  For a little cocktail cruise we poked just to the mouth of the inlet.  Gentle 2 foot rollers, 13 knots of wind, and a couple mini glasses of Rose being passed around made it hard to fight the the urge to just keep sailing out out out....

That was the party part.  Now the go fast discussion.  Our new lines  are awesome...but.  The eye splice at the top of the main halyard is so thick that I loose about 7 to 8" of sail height.  So when we are cruising like this I don't tension the cunningham because then the boom is lower than ideal for sitting upright.  You can see the lack of luff tension in the video. The main sheet is too thick and doesn't run as freely as it should in the blocks.  I haven't looked at my invoice to see how much those two lines were...but they were the most expensive two.  Lessons.

The boat has essentially a J24 mast so look to that for line sizing. I'm using an 8mm tapered dyneema core halyard and have no issue running through the sheave.

Main sheet loads are low, there is no winch and a 6:1 purchase. Line sizing is basically just for easy grasp by hand. My boat has 3/8 for main and jib sheets, your spreadsheet says 12mm (1/2) which is way to big, no wonder it doesn't run that freely. 

Hey Patmo, if your main halyard has a dyneema core you could just taper it.  If it doesn't, I made up a jib halyard that I never used for a boat that I sold where I spliced 3/8 Dacron into 3/16 dyneema.  It would probably work for you.  I'm not far from you.  It is yours free if you want it. PM if interested.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:45 PM, Ackattack said:

The boat has essentially a J24 mast so look to that for line sizing. I'm using an 8mm tapered dyneema core halyard and have no issue running through the sheave.

Main sheet loads are low, there is no winch and a 6:1 purchase. Line sizing is basically just for easy grasp by hand. My boat has 3/8 for main and jib sheets, your spreadsheet says 12mm (1/2) which is way to big, no wonder it doesn't run that freely. 

original spec on the spreadhseet I got from Dick was 7/16" or about ~11mm...but then the line i wanted only came in 10 or 12.  So I went 12 and that was dumb.

On 8/28/2020 at 6:24 PM, efrank said:

Hey Patmo, if your main halyard has a dyneema core you could just taper it.  If it doesn't, I made up a jib halyard that I never used for a boat that I sold where I spliced 3/8 Dacron into 3/16 dyneema.  It would probably work for you.  I'm not far from you.  It is yours free if you want it. PM if interested.

I will be watching some tutorials online and fixing this the next chance I get.  I've always know my knots but never got into splicing (beyond some braided dock line).

thanks y'all!

We hauled out for hurricane Isiais about a month ago.  Originally my friend and his girlfriend were coming to visit here, but the awkward timing of the storm resulted in some change of plans. I promised a pleasant half day of sailing in exchange for help hauling the boat out.   We were kind of trying to play the storm in case we didn't have to haul but it looked inevitable so I re-directed my friend and his girlfriend while they were driving to meet us in Beaufort (where the boat is).   We had a great sail in the morning but broke a rudder bracket (sheared the aluminum) about halfway through.  No grounding just plain sailing along.  We dropped sails, beached it, got the broken pins out and disconnected the rudder and continued on with one foil.  Mid day we dropped off the wife, child and girlfriend so my friend and I sail up the ICW to the haulout.  Downwind and HOT. Long day by the time we were hauled, blocked the trailer and secured.  Good friends are good to have.  Also nice to have 12 to 15kts of breeze blowing in a favorable direction for the trip to Bock Marine.

A month later we got new SeaSure rudder pintles and gudgeons installed on the side that broke.  We also replaced all the stainless hardware in the cheeks/cassette.  Someone replaced one of the through bolts with non stainless and to that person I say F*** you.  Both sides of it sheared off and we had to drill/extract 2" of bolt out.  I hate these rudders and next season will likely attempt something different, or at least think we want to, then weigh the cost/benefit and just keep these.

new_rudder_brackets.thumb.jpg.830ff7e3155b3bada03a08d04bcfdcc1.jpg

• Like 1

Pete took the boat back from the boatyard earlier this week.  We got lucky for our boat yard trips. I had a strong SW (tailwind) for the trip up and he got a strong East wind (beam and broad reach) for the return sail.  With just 2 on board they were able to break our current recorded speed record.  I guess the new rudder brackets held up!  This shit does not get old.
image.thumb.png.c3bef7cab057a9162243c9ef4b39f609.png

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, patmo141 said:

Love the boat.  Please avoid the vertical video format though?  Most of a normal screen is wasted.

vertical_video.jpg.d2e98cc89167eaf6ca628d01356d15f2.jpg

I will cross post on fix-it but for the other MC22 owners on here who might know.  My mast track gooseneck slide broke this weekend.  Peeled the toggle weld off the track slider. I'm browsing parts on the internet and having a slight uncertainty because I don't know the inner diameter of my mast track.  I also don't immediately know what brand and type mast section I have.  The slide component is .47" diameter, and I'm choosing between K-1685-1A and K-10331-1A.  The reason I'm uncertain is because the parts specify the track inner diameter and don't tell me the slide size...and I'm back home and 2 hours away from the boat.  The larger parts says for 9/16" inner diameter and up and the smaller part says for 1/2" inner diameter and smaller.  The 9/16" track would leave about .09" tolerance but if the slide is 9/16" that might not fit in the track.

https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Gooseneck_slides.php

ACtC-3dXxOFlKLi0Rg1RRFPpcnPzfFxaRpFvmvnx

ACtC-3d-uytODm4VLqWW4W623O1KwUQg2Jr-HUl5

ACtC-3fmZqRrPEcs0G3v57FVqorD8ZE9yU7RTQ_R

1 hour ago, patmo141 said:

I will cross post on fix-it but for the other MC22 owners on here who might know.  My mast track gooseneck slide broke this weekend.  Peeled the toggle weld off the track slider. I'm browsing parts on the internet and having a slight uncertainty because I don't know the inner diameter of my mast track.  I also don't immediately know what brand and type mast section I have.  The slide component is .47" diameter, and I'm choosing between K-1685-1A and K-10331-1A.  The reason I'm uncertain is because the parts specify the track inner diameter and don't tell me the slide size...and I'm back home and 2 hours away from the boat.  The larger parts says for 9/16" inner diameter and up and the smaller part says for 1/2" inner diameter and smaller.  The 9/16" track would leave about .09" tolerance but if the slide is 9/16" that might not fit in the track.

https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Gooseneck_slides.php

ACtC-3dXxOFlKLi0Rg1RRFPpcnPzfFxaRpFvmvnx

ACtC-3d-uytODm4VLqWW4W623O1KwUQg2Jr-HUl5

ACtC-3fmZqRrPEcs0G3v57FVqorD8ZE9yU7RTQ_R

Should have posted those pics with the other thread, would have saved me a minute or two. 

Im going to double down on checking with Dwyer Aluminum Mast. I know it’s hard, but a phone call might be a lot easier then trying to figure it out online. Added benefit: they might be able to physically measure it, proving they have it on hand to ship.

17 hours ago, mgs said:

Im going to double down on checking with Dwyer Aluminum Mast. I know it’s hard, but a phone call might be a lot easier then trying to figure it out online. Added benefit: they might be able to physically measure it, proving they have it on hand to ship.

Great lead.  I emailed them my photos and then called.  They had a part not listed on their website.  Goes in the mail tomorrow THANK YOU!

-P