Sign in to follow this  
Gouvernail

Barge WHAMMO in Houston Ship Channel

‘This is from the local TV helicopter. 

Other shots show a huge spill of whatever was in it.

290062A2-E28F-4B1B-8A03-CB9480860BC1.jpeg

I tried to get a photo with the barge for reference but I failed. This shot shows a spillat least a mile wide and three miles long 

67CBC297-6CCD-49F1-ADCC-1692174336B1.jpeg

There’s going to be a skipper looking for a deckhand or shore based job very soon. 

amazing that is is still floating

That sucks - with all the rain we have had this week it will be washing out to the gulf.  bummer.

Perfect T-bone.

Seems unlikely that both were following normal traffic patterns?

Was the barge crosswise in the channel.?

Did the attacking ship have a steering failure?

But surely it was the US Navy again.

With a so called "axe bow", not lying.

Arialah_axe-bow.jpg.0516307880e86f49a0294d3bedca0ff2.jpg

Shot with a proper wideangle, every bow will look like that... well except for classe minis maybe. 

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

But surely it was the US Navy again.

With a so called "axe bow", not lying.

Arialah_axe-bow.jpg.0516307880e86f49a0294d3bedca0ff2.jpg

Not only for splitting barges...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, weightless said:

Not only for splitting barges...

Excellent lecture by Nick the N.A., actually. Even mentions the research done by Delft Uni. Thanks for that Weightless.

Wow, thanks for posting that.

To my untrained eye it appears as if the vessels may have been communicating with each other

Looks like the Genesis River is at fault

Nice chat about bow shapes. But can we trust a guy, who often changes the side his hair is parted on. I will watch the full video later.

Definitely a Creepy Uncle Nick vibe with that guy.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:17 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

Oil tanker did the cleave

You sure?

The "bite mark" does't seem to have the right shape for a tanker! Surely something with a skinnier bow than a tanker did this?

Anyone know what does the "Genesis river" look like? The barge itself is a "tanker" so news reporters are probably going to be confused...

saw a crane out there this morning, apparently doing some kind of salvage? Did one of the barges sink?

The spill was a chemical called reformate, a gasoline additive used to increase octane. It is very light and evaporates quickly as i understand. The smell was awful for about 2 days, smelled like gasoline and mothballs inside my house so bad that it woke me up.

ah!

LPG tanker, that explains it...

These are not as fat as oil tankers because it's not as heavy. Also wonder if it's just the bulb that skewered the barge, either way, that looks like a mess!

One thing i heard is that the tanker briefly lost steering, the AIS track seems to agree with that. The barge had no choice but to steer left as they had a fixed light ahead of them to the right. https://maritime-executive.com/article/lpg-carrier-collides-with-barges-in-houston-ship-channel

here's a pic of the LPG carrier, bow shape explains a lot. Brand new ship delivered last year:

genesis-river.ca32dd.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark Set said:

One thing i heard is that the tanker briefly lost steering, the AIS track seems to agree with that. The barge had no choice but to steer left as they had a fixed light ahead of them to the right. https://maritime-executive.com/article/lpg-carrier-collides-with-barges-in-houston-ship-channel

here's a pic of the LPG carrier, bow shape explains a lot. Brand new ship delivered last year:

The bathtub curve strikes again.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Mark Set said:

One thing i heard is that the tanker briefly lost steering, the AIS track seems to agree with that.

Yes, that would explain the Crazy Ivan.  Looks like the collision occurred at about 10 knots. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:15 PM, P_Wop said:

One of the barges capsized and is floating upside-down.  The other is being emptied into another barge.  Both are anchored to the bottom with spud barges.  Quite a mess. https://gcaptain.com/response-continues-to-houston-ship-channel-collision/

houston ship channel collision

Stunning view of the East Texas mountains and the Sam Houston foothills in the distance. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, Mark Set said:

genesis-river.ca32dd.jpg

Steering went out?  New ship?  Was Boeing involved?

• Like 1

LOL, by the way looks like its all cleaned up at this point. racing tomorrow and Sunday!

This happens all the time in the J105 class