Sign in to follow this  
Chris Burns

Our son made it...

I haven’t been here much lately but a few may remember. 

My son graduated today, BS in Biomedical Engineering. Second graduating class in that concentration from his school. He’s staying on to finish his research and pick up the Masters. 

I’m thinking he’ll be invited to stay on for the PhD. He’s worked hard, kept his nose clean,

and done something solid things with groups outside his major. 

We’re quite proud  of him 

• Like 13

Congratulations, well done!

Congratulations to you and your son!

Congrats!  I bailed after MASc EE, and there are some decent PhDs out there, but, for fun...

My father: "Son, don't let your schooling get in the way of your education!"

and from elsewhere...

A PhD is someone who studies more and more about less and less.  In the limit they know everything about nothing. 

What does PhD actually stand for?  "Piled Higher and Deeper".

But, seriously, congrats and I hope you and/or your son are not burdened by onerous debt as a result.  It does seem to happen...

BRAVO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Burns said:

My son graduated today, BS in Biomedical Engineering. Second graduating class in that concentration from his school. He’s staying on to finish his research and pick up the Masters. 

I’m thinking he’ll be invited to stay on for the PhD. He’s worked hard, kept his nose clean,

Congrats. My daughter is working on her Masters in Biomedical engineering as well.  It looks to be a growing field. 

1 hour ago, Chris Burns said:

You did some of the parenting stuff right for sure. Totally feel your happiness! I have one son finishing his Jr year in mech engineering at Cal Berkeley doing a well rounded program including marching band and a tennis class every semester. He won't have much more than a 3.4 GPA but he's a good smart guy and every team of eggheads will be more productive and creative with him in it :) Second son starts at UC Davis aerospace eng in the fall. Just skied with both of them a month ago for two days which considering schedules was a miracle. We gave them all we had but since they were 1st year high schoolers all their choices have been theirs alone.

Congrats to your son. Now tell him to get a job. I think MA's and Phd's are great if they lead to real work but the kid needs to actually work to know if he actually likes the field he spent 4 years majoring in. How about taking a year or two earning some money and then returning to grad school? I know the universities want the tuition dollars and want to keep him around but at his age life experience matters as well. There are good jobs for people with his background and education.

• Like 2

In a technical field, a Masters is a good idea - usually puts you on a different pay scale from the BS guys.

I would not bother with a PhD unless it's in a technology that's really marketable. If that's the case, have him find a way to leverage the research into a startup company. There's plenty of seed money out there looking for good ideas. If it's not a good idea or it's just research busy-work to get a diploma, or useless arcane junk, don't bother - the PhD will be valueless also.

• Like 1

I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and have worked with 2 engineers who have their PhD in EE. Maybe it's true in other fields that those with PhDs don't know much of practical value but that certainly isn't the case with the 2 guys I've worked with. They are 2 of the sharpest and most productive people I've ever encountered.

Parenting win for you!

Our daughter is getting her PhD in Chemistry, and the university is paying her about 30K a year plus benefits.  Hope your son is getting a similar deal.

56 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Congrats to your son. Now tell him to get a job. I think MA's and Phd's are great if they lead to real work but the kid needs to actually work to know if he actually likes the field he spent 4 years majoring in. How about taking a year or two earning some money and then returning to grad school? I know the universities want the tuition dollars and want to keep him around but at his age life experience matters as well. There are good jobs for people with his background and education.

First of all, job well done by your son.  You and he should be proud!  

I agree with Rumrunner though. I work in a totally different tech industry, but the same concept applies. We tend to ignore the hyper-educated, no experience resumes. Any worthwhile company will pay for his continued education while he works for them. Why not get the degrees for free?  That’s what I’m doing. Almost done with my second major, then I’ll probably get an MBA for shits and giggles.  Total debt?  $0.  

I’m not trying to be rude at all, but I have the fun job of screening new hires for my previous role.  I intentionally sabotage one of our lower volume assembly lines where a few minutes of downtime aren’t critical.  If they can figure out what’s wrong, they get a real interview.  If they can’t, “we’ll keep your resume on file.”  

Not a single one of the “pure academics “ has passed the test in the last five years.  Almost everyone that’s had at least some real world experience did.  If he’s dead set on continuing his education, at least talk him into taking a co-op/internship gig during the summers  

I sincerely apologize if any of that sounded rude, I’m just trying to offer advice to an obviously smart kid on how to transition to the working world without being buried in school loans.

Why does reading this make me feel good? I dunno, but thanks and attaboy to tha guy!

20 hours ago, Chris Burns said:

From one born and raised in LSD, Congrats to your son and his proud parents.  

I'm working commencement exercises right now at Georgetown.  I the parents are just has happy and proud as their graduating sons and daughters are.

Sunrise this morning over the Hilltop before the ceremonies start

60736529_10161635106070332_5934234198373

Wonderful!! Well Done!

On 5/17/2019 at 7:36 AM, Chris Burns said:

Congratulations!

On 5/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, mainsheetsister said:

Parenting win for you!

Our daughter is getting her PhD in Chemistry, and the university is paying her about 30K a year plus benefits.  Hope your son is getting a similar deal.

Nice!

Looks like ours is making dean's list again this semester...straight up 4.0 this time.

Here's to good things happening.

Congrats to all the other folks whose kids are doing so well. Especially in the practical fields. 

We started saving before he was born, and thanks to the recent jump in the stock market (and a reasonably priced school and a modest scholarship) he’s incurred no debt. We have enough left over to cover most of the Masters- the tuition for that was only 25k total-and his little split-4-ways rental house is cheap enough that I can cover rent ok. He’ll probably TA and that’ll cover food and utilities. For the rest - he’s fairly frugal and his fencing gear, karate gear, and car are paid for. If he stays for the PhD and they’ll pay him. 

Starting salary with Batchelor’s is 50-70. Starting with a Masters is 75-100. It’s worth the 18 months or so extra. 

My oldest graduated earlier this month with her masters of accountancy.  Finished her BS and MS with a 4.0. Chip off the old block! (Meaning my wife). 

Great work . Parenting is tough work. 

Good job to all the parents...todays world has a lot of distractions that one wrong choice can lead to disaster...thank you all for doing such a good job.....How does a PHD in art history and a large pizza differ....the pizza can feed a family of 4.... 

On 5/18/2019 at 1:28 AM, B.J. Porter said:

Nice!

Looks like ours is making dean's list again this semester...straight up 4.0 this time.

Here's to good things happening.

I want good things to happen to every child.  I am not deviant.  I would like people to choose their lives.