vikram

sail lofts RI and CT

Who are you happy with if you dont mind me asking?  Short handed sails for 30 something ft. boat.

Had happily worked with Z for years and not certain they still as involved with the sad passing of CW.  Any info on

that loft also appreciated.

Always thought CW was more the marketing/PR guy at Z and that the Zaleski brothers cut & sewed the cloth. They're still there afaik.  

Just had some canvas work done by Hunter & Gambel in Camden ME.  Bulletproof : they're used to dealing with coasting schooners. 

Sutton Sail repair in Milford, CT. has done very nice work for me, and at a reasonable price.

John Fries of Fries Sail Design.  The king of 30 footer sail design and I hear he does pretty well with the bigger yachts as well. Waterford, CT.

• Like 1

Both Quantum and North have lofts in CT. If you call them both up, you can arrange a cage match/dance off.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 7:40 AM, vikram said:

Who are you happy with if you dont mind me asking?  Short handed sails for 30 something ft. boat.

Had happily worked with Z for years and not certain they still as involved with the sad passing of CW.  Any info on

that loft also appreciated.

The Morris Justine 36 I sold last year came with Z-Sails and they’ve made every sail for her since splashing in 1990. They built me a number of sails during my ownership of the boat and I credit much of our success to their product. Chris Wentz was a wealth of knowledge and a super nice guy. After his passing, the Zalenski brothers built me a new A-5 for the 2018 Bermuda Race with very little lead time. It was an awesome sail that I used a lot last year before selling the boat. They are still making great sails!

Zachary Lee

Former owner of Yankee Girl - USA 42899

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:37 PM, Squalamax said:

John Fries of Fries Sail Design.  The king of 30 footer sail design and I hear he does pretty well with the bigger yachts as well. Waterford, CT.

Agree 100%

• Downvote 1

Hood's made every sail that Lioness has ever flown except one genoa from 1962 onwards. 

Current Main and Mizzen were built in Vectran ca 2002, Genoa in Vecran in 2018 and you can't tell the difference looking at them, 

Loft has moved from Marblehead, to Newport (Portsmouth) and we get excellent service out of the Sausalito local franchise, with a new Mizzen staysail designed and made in Sydney. Ask for Joe Cooper, and be nice to Dawn when she answers the phone.