Sign in to follow this  
kurio99

Most exciting race footage

Can anyone point some of the most exciting race footage to be found on the internet?  For me, the 'qingdao 49er medal' race is absolutely spellbinding.  I must have watched it a dozen times.  Got any contenders?

• Like 2

Miami 49ers 2018

Or Santander 2017

• Like 1

Porto 49er worlds last year, not sure about the racing but watching the pros carving downwind on massive waves flat out was incredible. There’s one race from the 2017 JJ that jumps out too, one of the kiwi boats climbed above the fleet on a tight reach, popped the kite late and flew into the lead on a marginal reach in big wind, flogging every now and again to avoid lee shore death and to make the mark/island. 

Great idea for a thread!

Try the Finn 2018 Europeans in Cadiz medal race. Cameras on each boat. Big breeze; big waves. Here's Ed Wright (GBR)

Also see Nokia 18 foot skiff in big breeze:

• Like 1

I thought the VOR coverage was great as a series. 

On 18 May 2019 at 1:49 AM, Alan Crawford said:

David Witt at the helm... Sort of in control

Any of the Star Sailors league stuff is good watching. The racing is well covered and commentated. The high wind races have some carnage for sure. Not 49er level stuff  but wipe outs breakages MOB etc.  But the overall racing lead changes etc. is really well done

SSL has such a cool elimination format at the end of the race. This past edition at Garda was thrilling.

9 hours ago, PaulK said:

A few more participants than BTC here: https://sap505worlds2018.com/gallery/videos#6

Good shots of rabbit starts and crowded roundings. 

some practice at gate starts required! 

I'm not a big fan of highlight reels like that. Sure some cool individual shots, but often the images you see aren't doing anything to tell you the story of the day. Just random shots with a bit of narration over the top.  It's not exactly 'exciting race coverage' if you can't watch how the race unfolds for key protagonists IMO. 

The videos would be okay on a facebook news feed, where people watch 10 seconds then click on the results, but there not anything you're going to sit down with and watch as sporting entertainment. 

14 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I'm not a big fan of highlight reels like that. Sure some cool individual shots, but often the images you see aren't doing anything to tell you the story of the day. Just random shots with a bit of narration over the top.  It's not exactly 'exciting race coverage' if you can't watch how the race unfolds for key protagonists IMO. 

The videos would be okay on a facebook news feed, where people watch 10 seconds then click on the results, but there not anything you're going to sit down with and watch as sporting entertainment. 

Here is the other extreme. A video of the whole race of one sailor at a world championship. 

Maybe not all that exciting either, but it's a superb source for sailors in this class wanting to study the techniques of the world champion all round the course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHFiMxGWJ_4

I've done a couple of videos like that, just in club races. My own offering only get a couple of hundred views each so maybe aren't very good either, and I shouldn't be commenting :unsure:...  However, I think with a GPS overlay and some sort of narration to add context, plus cutting out the boring straight line stuff you can do a decent job of telling the story of a race and at least people interested in the boat will watch it... of course if the race itself isn't that exciting there's only so much you can do! 

Being able to cover the wider view of the fleet and follow a few protagonists through is key and is what the professional coverage should be aiming for. 

The 5o5 highlight reels really don't tell the viewer anything more than they'd get from a written report and a few photos, in fact probably less. I'm not picking on them specifically, they're pretty symptomatic of most race coverage we get. And I understand budget and technology is a real limiter,  but I'd struggle to hold up those highlight reels as good example of race footage. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I've done a couple of videos like that, just in club races. My own offering only get a couple of hundred views each so maybe aren't very good either, and I shouldn't be commenting :unsure:...  However, I think with a GPS overlay and some sort of narration to add context, plus cutting out the boring straight line stuff you can do a decent job of telling the story of a race and at least people interested in the boat will watch it... of course if the race itself isn't that exciting there's only so much you can do! 

Your videos are great. We watch yours and Dave Poston's videos (ie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWFe9Kkw0Q ) and enjoy and learn. Have to be honest, I watch both the highlight reels, which I think are great, and the full videos.

I think we're damn spoiled for good video coverage of active fleets. We have the "make sailing look super cool" videos to show non-sailor friends, and full length videos of fleets, and sometimes from a single boat, to learn tactics, strategies, observe astounding brilliance and wince at blunders.

Case in point, I had never seen a rabbit start in my life. I just enjoyed that brief 505 clip and learned a few things. There's so many things -- tricks, tactics, techniques -- I would have never seen or learned unless I was invited to be part of a top fleet (I'm good with words, but I'm a regular sailor so no, that never happened). And it's now on youtube.

It may not be the ultimate exciting film,   but for those competing in these tight waters it's very exciting.  You learn a lot about boat handling very quickly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

some practice at gate starts required! 

For the "story of the day",  the SAP coverage of the 505 World Championships shows real time positioning of every one of the 100+ boats from the tracker they each carried on board. A video of a race that takes an hour or so is not going to provide the "exciting" footage called for in this thread the whole time. Good narration helps, but is difficult to come by. Kurio's search for good racing videos needs to continue.   

In which case a sped up reply of the analytics with the lead boat spliced in with the race footage with a bit of narration would do a much better job of telling the story of the day. 

There's promo reels with exciting shots and smiling competitors saying how nice the weather is and good the racing. That's fine for 10-15 second plays as an advert for the event.

Then you have the next step which is more of a race highlights. It tells you the story of the race, covers the key moves with a bit of narration and post race interviews with the protagonists. Depending on how you format this it can lead to some suspense regarding the race outcome. The SAP stuff can really help here showing sped up how a race unfolded and where the lead boat made their gains. 

Finally you get full race footage. It doesn't have to be unedited, but it needs to tell the complete story of the race, results cannot be revealed until the end and commentary should be phrased as if it were real time. 

For it to be exciting 'race' footage, I need to be watching it as a race, with some sort of understanding who is leading and who is gaining and there be some sort of suspense about the winner. Otherwise, I'm watching a montage of shots with lots of boats in frame, sure they may be taken during a race, but without context what the viewer is seeing isn't a race. 

Recently learned about a freelance videographer who was paid several thousand USD to take shots of events at a college commencement over a weekend.  The school PR department will edit & arrange the material, set the music & narrate. What dinghy class has such resources to do something like that consistently?  Coverage of the Sydney-Hobart Race in Australia and a few other events may attain that level. It's expensive! It's also difficult to get good video of boats racing. They're spread out over a huge area and cameras don't capture the angles and speed differentials very well. Dinghy racing videos are made mostly by amateur volunteers who have day jobs.  We are lucky to have their efforts producing the material we do have.   

I don't agree, there are plenty of classes spending out on video and photos. Often the guys with cameras will do it for cheap if they can sell stills too. 

With the rise of cheap drones and waterproof action cameras the media capture is going to improve and you're already seeing amateurs put out race coverage which would be un-thinkable 20+ years ago. 

It's worth highlighting good formats so that others can copy. The editing it often cheap, it just takes time and good idea of what you're aiming form. 

7 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Often the guys with cameras will do it for cheap if they can sell stills too.

That was true a long time ago.  The model no longer works, and no one will do it for cheap because no one buys stills.

With the rise of cheap drones and waterproof action cameras the media capture is going to improve and you're already seeing amateurs put out race coverage which would be un-thinkable 20+ years ago.

Cheap drones have been around for 5+ years, waterproof action cameras for closer to ten.  The amateurs are doing their best, but what everyone has realized is that regardless of the equipment, someone still has to sit and stare at a screen for hours to do anything remotely good. 

It's worth highlighting good formats so that others can copy. The editing it often cheap, it just takes time and good idea of what you're aiming form.

Editing is never cheap.  Whether by hours or money, decent editing takes forfuckingever.  And the more amateur you are, the longer it takes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Editing is never cheap.  Whether by hours or money, decent editing takes forfuckingever.  And the more amateur you are, the longer it takes. 

I understand, it's time intensive. I was (am?) a complete novice at editing, using resolve on an old laptop. It takes forever to edit some of the stuff I put out,  which isn't really that great.

But i think with a basic formula  / template it can be done...

Take the 5o5 videos, they had the analytics... why can't they screen record that in 20x speed and cut it with some starting and mark rounding of the leaders? Then ask the leading boats questions about the winning moves of the day (rather than the weather) and overlay that audio with some additional description from the presenter?

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

this guy edits

watch any of so many series/race of the Sydney Harbour 18 foot skiffs  - immaculately shot - full length with preambles, brilliant commentary, recently adding drone and onboard footage. amazing boats needing great skills on fascinating long courses in tricky wind and tide and shipping on Sydney Harbour. https://www.18footers.com.au/18-footers-sailing/18-footers-tv/

• Like 1

Mozzy,

We're still a long way off from seeing pervasive amateur drone footage.  Unless you're talking a big, expensive, commercial drone, the best of rest can spend no more than 15 minutes in the air. 

The other problem with amateur footage is water droplets.  Once it gets exciting, the spray starts to be a problem.  Can't count how many takes that I've had ruined by an egotistical droplet hogging the frame.

16 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

I understand, it's time intensive. I was (am?) a complete novice at editing, using resolve on an old laptop. It takes forever to edit some of the stuff I put out,  which isn't really that great.

But i think with a basic formula  / template it can be done...

Take the 5o5 videos, they had the analytics... why can't they screen record that in 20x speed and cut it with some starting and mark rounding of the leaders? Then ask the leading boats questions about the winning moves of the day (rather than the weather) and overlay that audio with some additional description from the presenter?

They can, but it’s never going to be quick, easy, or cheap. That’s just reality. 

Meanwhile the fucking iPhoto app can put together a photo video collage automatically in zero time that’s better than most amateur regatta edits.

9 hours ago, antskip said:

watch any of so many series/race of the Sydney Harbour 18 foot skiffs  - immaculately shot - full length with preambles, brilliant commentary, recently adding drone and onboard footage. amazing boats needing great skills on fascinating long courses in tricky wind and tide and shipping on Sydney Harbour. https://www.18footers.com.au/18-footers-sailing/18-footers-tv/

8-man crew, key members with decades of experience on both sides of camera, purpose built boat, full support of club and sponsors, funded by gambling. 

Easy peasy. 

15 hours ago, dgmckim said:

this guy edits

Are you cheap, fast, and high quality? If so I know some customers. Just post links to your best three vids. 

35 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Are you cheap, fast, and high quality? If so I know some customers. Just post links to your best three vids. 

sorry for the confusion, generally on the internet the term "This guy ______s" is meant as an appreciation of someone who knows what they are doing in a particular field or activity. So, in this case I was just recognizing that you knew what you were talking about.

But, to answer your question, I have little experience in the field. Should that change, you'll be the first to know.

also, i was taught long ago that in terms of 'better, faster and cheaper' you only get to choose two of them for any given product :D

40 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

sorry for the confusion, generally on the internet the term "This guy ______s" is meant as an appreciation of someone who knows what they are doing in a particular field or activity. So, in this case I was just recognizing that you knew what you were talking about.

But, to answer your question, I have little experience in the field. Should that change, you'll be the first to know.

also, i was taught long ago that in terms of 'better, faster and cheaper' you only get to choose two of them for any given product :D

Always happy to learn something that 'the kids' are sayin' these days.  The 16 year old neighbor I mentor is always confusing me when he texts. I learned rn, idfk, gg, and a bunch of other random shit over the months I brought him to my monday night b-ball league.

What you wrote sounds right, except for the part about me video editing, which I hate like a root canal and I gave up relatively quickly other than the most basic stuff; coloring, captioning, fixing sound, and the like (which still takes ages and ages).  I quite liked editing long audio interviews and podcasts, both because it let me listen to them multiple times and gave me a chance at self-critique and because there's something quite meditative once the headphones are on and you're focusing on that intimate sound filling your ears for hours and hours.  Plus it takes about an eighth of the time as video and you don't need an assistant.

I learned early on to let the guys who spent their life learning how to do it, do it, and just keep them on track as much as possible.  It's pretty cool to watch really talented guys and gals work, especially the fast, high quality ones.  There's not a lot of those.  Best I know is a kid named Jack from England, who worked with us on the J/70 worlds in La Rochelle.  He was fast, great, and cheap, but that's because he was 19.  Not anymore!

I think we tend too much to live footage for mid level and even second tier events. 

The 18 stuff is an awesome example, but it's worth noting how they've come to a formula that's worked from them. A lot of it is also made easier as it's a one location, so they don't have to move the kit around. Plus the team know the location, sailors and kit extremely well. 

Going back to the stuff Clean was part of with the 49er class it was often the signal that fell down and they were left scrambling to figure out what to show. Maybe Clean could comment on the challenges and what he thought worked and what didn't in that environment? I thought this was a pretty good effort. A point up on the 18s for the analytics, but the major difference was 18s you follow smaller cast of boats every week which the commentators know the complete back story to. The 49ers are less identifiable, the sailors change more event to event, and the commentators a little more removed from their stories. 

But... for amateurs / class associations once you move away from live it solves a lot of problems with the signal. That also opens up the equipment you need as it doesn't have to broadcast. You can also be a lot more targeted with how you use limited resources. For instance drones you only really need to fly at the start to get a good elevated view. After that, a bit of on board footage and stationary shots from gimbals on ribs at marks, plus GPS and you can tell a pretty good story. Use any excess drone footage for a bit of chase footage.