A while back I flippantly posted a question that grew a life of its own.  I created a monster, and now want to provide another place to post about non-ugly Newick Trimarans, because I am tired of seeing my own thread come back to haunt me.  If y'all want to punish me by posting on the old thread, I'll understand, but I think it sends the wrong message.  Worth a tri, Eh?

Below is a Newick Trimaran in wood:
:2010_0108_153253.jpg?w=1200&h=

• Like 1

While you were taking some heat (deservedly) for the title of the other thread, there is a lot of interesting discussion there. Hopefully it will migrate here.

Cheers,

Joe

3 hours ago, bacq2bacq said:

A while back I flippantly posted a question that grew a life of its own.  I created a monster, and now want to provide another place to post about non-ugly Newick Trimarans, because I am tired of seeing my own thread come back to haunt me.  If y'all want to punish me by posting on the old thread, I'll understand, but I think it sends the wrong message.  Worth a tri, Eh?

Wow!!!

Here is a link back to the old thread for archival purposes and to encourage migration to here without losing any content... no duplicity on my part... cheers all.

Mmmmmmmm

wood 

I love wood boats, especially that one!

On 5/17/2019 at 11:49 AM, bacq2bacq said:

Is that a trailer or some sort of launch dolly under the boat? Cant make sense out of the parts.

If the akas detach that may be a beam and dolly system for setup and breakdown. Can't see what is actually suspending the boat from above.

Edit. Akas appear fixed.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, bacq2bacq said:

Here is a link back to the old thread for archival purposes and to encourage migration to here without losing any content... no duplicity on my part... cheers all.

I was asking if this tri was a Newick design when I posted that photo but I have not been able to uncover the history or designer. It looks a lot like a Val but is only 26" long with low volume amas. I know it was beautifully built with cold molded cedar and came to Puget Sound from the Sarasota Florida area. It might even race to Alaska someday!

3 hours ago, MultiMacGreg said:

I was asking if this tri was a Newick design when I posted that photo but I have not been able to uncover the history or designer. It looks a lot like a Val but is only 26" long with low volume amas. I know it was beautifully built with cold molded cedar and came to Puget Sound from the Sarasota Florida area. It might even race to Alaska someday!

Check this out: http://valiii.over-blog.com/

Greg are you saying that woodie is in the PNW or something else?  I recall that woodie up for sale not too long ago.  It didn't seem to sell right away IIRC.  Absolutely beautiful but I'd be afraid to sail it.

The trailer seems to have a near vertical structure on the left side of the picture/wheels that might support the boats stbd beam/aka near its root.  Kind of a cantilever set up.  Maybe he doesn't have room for a larger trailer or maybe the boat's beam is more than its length:o so thats the way its towed around the yard.

4 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Greg are you saying that woodie is in the PNW or something else?  I recall that woodie up for sale not too long ago.  It didn't seem to sell right away IIRC.  Absolutely beautiful but I'd be afraid to sail it.

The trailer seems to have a near vertical structure on the left side of the picture/wheels that might support the boats stbd beam/aka near its root.  Kind of a cantilever set up.  Maybe he doesn't have room for a larger trailer or maybe the boat's beam is more than its length:o so thats the way its towed around the yard.

No, not that tri! The photo of the "Unknown Tri"  I posted was this one:

Ronstri3.jpg

Ronstri.jpg

Agree, beautiful.  If thats in the PNW it would be fun to see sometime.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, Sail4beer said:

Mmmmmmmm

wood 

I love wood boats, especially that one!

There's more info on the Newoodie here: https://trienthusiasts.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/masterpiece-in-wood-2x-trimaran-val-iii-in-canada/ (link from previous thread)

Last seen in Canada, Eh. But, @Sail4beer um, er,  which/whose "wood" are we talking about here? ^_^  Down, buoy!

@MultiMacGreg et al: Is the mystery boat a Newick "Tricia"?

I sure like the new thread title, Thanks. The old title did serve a purpose in a weird way, with everyone trying to prove the title wrong.

I think the mystery boat is still a mystery boat, but from talking to Greg, it has potential. It sounds like it has been indoors for a while and may need a new home.

It looked like a Tricia to me too.

The early Tricia had a big Tremolino aft cuddy like this.

Image result for Newick "Tricia"?

They were originally in the 2 aka configuration seen better on this next photo of a 1970 model.

The WIng Aka version came later

Image result for Newick "Tricia"?

Hull shapes were less sharp V and more rounded on the later boats. Lots of constant evolution even within a particular design with Newicks. Lots of learning and adaptation with each generation. Dick was always looking at ways to improve his designs and skills. 

• Like 1

Tricia, "Chill Trimaran Sailing Session on a Dick Newick Design 1970"

tricia_vid_1m_23s.jpg

ALEGRA (Spanish for "she makes me happy") certainly has done that for her third owner. She has been cared for by the well-known Trimaran builder Walter Greene for the last 15+ years and was completely re-Awlgripped in the winter of 2009-10. Numerous other improvements and equipment replacements; please read the full specs for details.

http://dicknewickboats.com/tricia/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I sure like the new thread title, Thanks. The old title did serve a purpose in a weird way, with everyone trying to prove the title wrong.

I think the mystery boat is still a mystery boat, but from talking to Greg, it has potential. It sounds like it has been indoors for a while and may need a new home.

Hi Russell,

Would your dad have an opinion about this tri? If he comes out to Washington state to visit again, I can get permission to show it to him (it is in a garage in Silverdale). I found this video where Dick speaks about his sense of aesthetics along with many clips of his designs doing what they do best!  

1 hour ago, MultiMacGreg said:

Possibly an early prototype of a Newick Somersault 26? LOA and vaka fineness are similar. The aka / ama attachment are a bit unique!

http://dicknewickboats.com/outrigger26/

Not similar at all since the Somersault 26 has four "half beams" that plug into sockets, demountable by design.  Looks different too.

small2.jpg

sparky July 2017-5.jpg

from here:

24 minutes ago, Wess said:

Newicks sure are some beautiful trimarans! 

Yep,but damn tiny little things inside!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Yep,but damn tiny little things inside!

yea, sadly a boat needs a legit bathroom to have most ladies on board.

• Like 1

And that's the rub. They're beautiful and fast, but we'd need a 50'er+ to get voyaging accommodations. Despite my affection for tris and especially Newicks, we ended up with a cat.

Cheers,

Joe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jdazey said:

And that's the rub. They're beautiful and fast, but we'd need a 50'er+ to get voyaging accommodations. Despite my affection for tris and especially Newicks, we ended up with a cat.

Cheers,

Joe

The Newick Native could’ve worked well for us, but you have to choose between a head or a double berth. 

I think his designs work best 45' and up, especially the latter ones. But it does take some talent to manuver 25'+ beam around.

7 minutes ago, Bruno said:

I think his designs work best 45' and up, especially the latter ones. But it does take some talent to manuver 25'+ beam around.

The Creative up in Canada is a lovely boat, but even it wouldn’t pass the wife test. (Lovely except for the cheap flat-sawn wood they used for the single seat table/chair combo)