sshow bob

Cleaning soiled inflatable

Anyone have any great tricks for cleaning up a soiled inflatable?  White trim in particular is nasty.

The best tip I got came from Ishmael a few years back: a thin paste of Oxyclean and a stiff scrub brush. There's still a fair amount of elbow grease involved but it does work.

Thanks, IS - just found that thread as a result of your post.  

30 second  outdoor cleaning solutions works really well on everything.

And for the waterline stains I use toilet bowl cleaner. It instantly kills the organic growth and washes right off. Why bother spending big money on the On Off hull cleaner when it’s the same magic for 10% of the price?!

1009057E-B419-4DC8-B128-B4EAAF211AAC.jpeg

Never tried the 30 Seconds stuff but I'd love to know if it'll do the job on the sticky exudate from UV-damaged PVC. That stuff's a bitch to get off.

Maybe I’d try slow drying lacquer thinner on it and see if that would remove it.

Dammit, Beer, that's one solvent I don't already have on hand. I've tried denatured isopropanol (99%), mineral spirits, acetone, and MEK. None of them worked as well as Oxyclean. Have you tried the lacquer thinner yourself? 

Vim bathroom cleaner was once recommended to me from the local inflatables(meaning they re tubed Protectors/coast guard/larger zodiacs) repair shop.  It works wonders...like any product, test a small spot, and get a feel for how much to use and how hard to scrub as it’s slightly abrasive.

MEK.

I inherited a medium quality RIB with my last boat. It was in very sad shape cosmetically (and otherwise) - stained, sunburned etc. After I spent a day wiping it down with MEK and then treating it with vinyl conditioner (Armor All in my case) it was transformed into looking about one season old.

I worked with a guy that worked for Aquapro NZ and does repairs and reconditioning inflatables on the side. He uses Toulene and I have done so myself since. After polishing and protecting it I use a product like Amour all but better. But the name actual name of the product escapes me at the moment. Has good UV protection too.

Just cleaned my rib after 3 months cruising in Western Carib. Used Lysol toilet bowl cleaner. Looks practically new.

303 Protectant is what I was thinking of. Better than Amour All by miles. But if you launch your boat afterward and gun the O/B - careful, you might go out the back it's that slippery! no gooey slippery and no residue but clean and bright.