Raptorsailor

TIps for new sailors

What tips would you give to new dinghy sailors looking to race or simply to sail casually and enjoy the sport?

Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

in the pre start don't dive-bomb next to the committee boat with 15 seconds to go, you'll just crash and break stuff. 

When sailing in winter: If you can't move or feel you're hands (ie you don't feel pain when hitting them on the side of the boat) that's your cue to go in, you've got frostnip. Wear gloves with plastic/latex gloves underneath. 

Keep your cockpit tidy, you'd be amazed how much better it feels to have everything in one place, in the same place and not having the main sheet tangle on your feet.

In a laser at least, you can sail much closer to the wind than you think is possible. 

A clean boat is a happy boat. 

Learn to sail in light winds, it may be slow, (very) boring and it may seem useless. But trust me on this, you won't regret it. It's an amazing way to improve boat handling.

Fold the sail properly, don't just roll it up and dump it inside. It'll last so much longer and will be much easier to rig. 

Leave roughly a hands width between the sail and boom when rigging, it's a good go everywhere setting to begin with. 

If it's REALLY blowing hard, pull your centre/dagger board up a bit, you'll reduce the power available and make the boat tamer. 

• Like 1

Unless you Australian or Japanese don’t buy a new Laser  - it may never get built :)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

If you buy a used boat, remove the tape from everything to see what it is hiding. 

• Like 1

Don’t buy a new boat! 

You have no idea what you want to sail, go to a club and use theirs.

• Like 1

- Roll your sail, yes, but do it on a 4" PVC pipe.  It will keep you from creasing the sail 12x each time a sail not rolled on PVC will. 

-Spinnakers stored wet will bleed their colors. 

-Sunscreen like a juggalo for regattas or you will burn. 

-Embrace capsizing.  As much as raptorsailing says go out in the light, heavy is awesome and more fun. 

-learn more than one knot.  You should know at least a hitch, a bend, and a splice.  Tying them quickly has saved my ass more than I should admit. 

• Like 3

Hydrate 

• Like 3

Start out by crewing for someone experienced. While you do learn some bad habits, it is a faster way to learn -  there is someone there to ask questions or show you what to do.

• Like 3

Try to convince your wife ( if married ) that it is cheaper than a divorce. If single, consider remaining so. Happy Sailing!

Bring all the hot chicks you know to the sailing park. 

On 5/20/2019 at 6:45 PM, Raptorsailor said:

What tips would you give to new dinghy sailors looking to race or simply to sail casually and enjoy the sport?

Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

in the pre start don't dive-bomb next to the committee boat with 15 seconds to go, you'll just crash and break stuff. 

When sailing in winter: If you can't move or feel you're hands (ie you don't feel pain when hitting them on the side of the boat) that's your cue to go in, you've got frostnip. Wear gloves with plastic/latex gloves underneath. 

Keep your cockpit tidy, you'd be amazed how much better it feels to have everything in one place, in the same place and not having the main sheet tangle on your feet.

In a laser at least, you can sail much closer to the wind than you think is possible. 

A clean boat is a happy boat. 

Learn to sail in light winds, it may be slow, (very) boring and it may seem useless. But trust me on this, you won't regret it. It's an amazing way to improve boat handling.

Fold the sail properly, don't just roll it up and dump it inside. It'll last so much longer and will be much easier to rig. 

Leave roughly a hands width between the sail and boom when rigging, it's a good go everywhere setting to begin with. 

If it's REALLY blowing hard, pull your centre/dagger board up a bit, you'll reduce the power available and make the boat tamer. 

All good tips.

My suggestions-

Always always -always- know the wind direction.

Practice stopping

Learn how the placement and movement of your body affects the boat; sit where you're supposed to sit

Hold it like either a microphone or a frying pan, never never a tennis racket

Every so often, ignore tedious bullshit instructions from "better" sailors, and just have fun with the boat & wind & water

FB- Doug

• Like 1

1. Don't forget to put the bung in. Preferably *before* you leave the shore.

2. Teach your wife to sail your boat, then get her into her own boat. (Assuming single-handers.)

3. Don't moan when your wife starts to sail quicker than you -- consider it a success.

4. Hold on to the main if you fall out -- it's easier than swimming.

Bring enough margaritas, chips, salsa, quacamole, and queso ( along with lots of ice tea and water) to share with everyone. 

Offer to help on RC and pick up trash around the boat park.

Bring your own roll of duct tape. 

3 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Bring your own roll of duct tape. 

never underestimate the value of a roll of Alabama Chrome

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I'm from Alabama and now live in Alabama and that term was a new one on me. Love the song, don't you?

Flat is fast and when it feels like the boat is rolling on top of you, it is flat.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 7:45 PM, dgmckim said:

never underestimate the value of a roll of Alabama Chrome

Duct tape on the front of a Laser can make it look so much cooler, like just in front of the painter hoop thing...

As long as it's not hiding catastrophic delamination from over aggressive sailing. What? Me? Never. 

• Like 1

Get some old farts to go sail nearby and yell at you. We all had to learn once and we can help you learn a whole lot faster.

sure... you can figure out tapping the big arrow twice makes caps lock but it is so much easier if somebody says, “try hitting the up arrow twice”

or

if you hold your finger over the $ sign a list appears and you can use it to write 25¢  Instead of $0.25

or

ask siri

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood 

She give an entertaining answer 

Siri also knows the answer to 

How many seas can a white dove sail before she sleeps in the sand?

Always a let the old guys experience rub off on you 

especially in crewed boats, I love practicing panic maneuvers. Shit happens on the race course, out of control competitors, late calls for laylines, etc, being able to throw a tack or gybe in, or throw in a tack or gybe in to an immediate penalty turn, is great practice for staying sharp and being able to communicate effectively, moving together, and handling the boat. 

Be at seeing the lulls as you are as seeing the puffs - especially on a trap boat. Never stop thinking about your weight placement. 

Watch where the winner sails, Tides, wind obstructions and other odd effects mean the shortest course isn't always the quickest..