Bull City

Galley equipment

I am looking for some new pepper & salt grinders for my home galley :P. I have been eyeing a pair of Peugeot Bistro Chef Salt & Pepper Mills, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on these or others.

Thanks.

B.C.

image.png.e73e151990634a068fbe94d5595e439f.png

1 minute ago, Bull City said:

I am looking for some new pepper & salt grinders for my home galley :P. I have been eyeing a pair of Peugeot Bistro Chef Salt & Pepper Mills, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on these or others.

Thanks.

B.C.

image.png.e73e151990634a068fbe94d5595e439f.png

We have the larger version of those Peugeot Mills and like them.

Those look nice.  I have to admit that I gave up on anything so elegant when Costco started selling these disposable ones.  They have that certain redneck "cares enough to grind but not enough to give a fuck how it looks" vibe.

image.png.dd319f02bb340373a6feb9610e67b83c.png

• Like 5

Peugot grinders work, others maybe not so well.....

Disposable ones - more crap to dispose of, on a boat?

Peugeot make the best guts for pepper grinders.

3 hours ago, toddster said:

Costco started selling these disposable ones.

I think I saw a refillable / semi-disposable version in a pack with a refill last time I was there.

1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

A simple mortar & pestle with 30secs of sweat equity is out then?

Get a grip. 2 seconds of grinding and no cleanup vs. 30 seconds of crunching and three minutes of washing the damn thing. The only thing I use a mortar and pestle for with pepper is for steak au poivre, where the uneven pepper bits actually help the program.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Peugeot mechanism. We have had the bigger versions for maybe 6 years and the mechanism has held up far better than any other. The Salt and Pepper grinders are permanent residents on the table.

The only other one I see as indispensable is the rather cheap ($12), ugly, and not so durable (had to replace it after a couple of years) crank grinder from OXO. This sits by the stove, for times when you need to grind a LOT of pepper in a hurry.  I'd definitely consider it for a boat grinder, depending on the lack of elegance you can live with. 

image.thumb.png.4d3f8c152d77d0f8c7a96251a1992463.png

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Lewis-Pepper/dp/B003L0OOQM/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=good+grips+pepper+grinder&qid=1558415886&s=gateway&sr=8-5

22 minutes ago, Oceanconcepts said:

We have had the bigger versions for maybe 6 years and the mechanism has held up far better than any other.

I didn't know that pepper mills went bad so often. There's one that has been in full time use for around 50 years on various family tables in my clan and several others old enough to vote. 6 years seems like a short life for a pepper mill. What fails in them?

2 hours ago, weightless said:

I didn't know that pepper mills went bad so often. There's one that has been in full time use for around 50 years on various family tables in my clan and several others old enough to vote. 6 years seems like a short life for a pepper mill. What fails in them?

Same, we still have ones going strong after a couple of generations.

As with many things, new ones often made with cheaper (softer) grinding wheels, etc.

I find that the humidity ruins salt, pepper and most other spices. Grinders and other dirt-bound containers do not keep the humidity out.

I ended up putting salt, pepper and a "provincial blend" in replicas of vintage, US Navy mustard and pepper bottles, capping them off with corks.  It's the only thing that kept the spices from caking up into unusable bricks. Even then, I had to put a few grains of rice in with the salt to absorb whatever moisture got into the bottle during use.

https://www.eparks.com/product/44833/Clear-Pepper-Bottle/

Unfortunately, this means no fresh grinding and you have to shake a bit into the palm of your hand and spread it over your food the old way.

• Like 1

We have a pair from Crate & Barrel. The salt grinder is clogged with salt - humudity may have something to do with it - and the pepper will not adjust to anything finer than coarse. The mechanisms have a lot of plastic. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking the Peugeot pair, and maybe these:

image.png.a31d79d052c9e53aae09a2b8e807c1bd.png

Peugeot are the best, bar none. Like another poster here, we have some that have been passed down through generations. But on board keep your salt and pepper mills in a ziplock bag or a Tupperware container and change out the contents for fresh every season - moisture is the enemy when it comes to peppercorns and rock salt.

12 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Get a grip. 2 seconds of grinding and no cleanup vs. 30 seconds of crunching and three minutes of washing the damn thing. The only thing I use a mortar and pestle for with pepper is for steak au poivre, where the uneven pepper bits actually help the program.

The only use for a mortar and pestle nowadays is for grinding drugs.

I use M&P quite a lot in the lab for homogenizing samples, none of which is "drugs."  I've got a whole cupboard full of various sizes, including a couple made of agate, for grinding really hard stuff.  

Also have a wooden S&P set, like those pictured above, but they tend to get grimy over time and are hard to wash.

44 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The only use for a mortar and pestle nowadays is for grinding drugs.

Not if you use saffron regularly in your cooking. If you grind those threads into powder, they go much farther. At $3000/kg, it helps both the dish and the wallet.

• Like 1

I used to keep 3 seasonings in the boat:  Salt, pepper, and Old Bay.  Having spent a good part of my career in the food industry, I have a deep admiration for the roundness of flavor in Old Bay.  It goes well in a great many foods.

While Old Bay dominates as a consumer brand for crab and seafood seasoning on the east coast, the restaurant and foodservice trade secretly uses a close cousin, J.O. Spice, for cooking crabs. A recent survey showed more than 50% of the Maryland crab houses surveyed used J.O. Spice. J.O.'s marketing claim is that its seasoning has coarser salt which sticks to steamed crabs better, but I think it's really about price. Old Bay was invented by an immigrant fleeing Nazi Germany; it developed a big regional following and eventually the brand was acquired by McCormick and nationally promoted.  J.O. Spice was invented by a couple on Tangier Island (VA) and is found in foodservice rather than retail...and costs about 40% less.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, weightless said:

I expect those Peugeot mills will keep going many years as well, I've only had this particular pair six years. In my experience the cheaper mills weak point is usually the shaft or the attachment of the burrs to the shaft or the head. The burrs on the OXO mill, for instance, are ceramic and will likely last near forever, but the shaft attachments and supports are molded plastic or stamped metal and will eventually wear and fail. As with many things, it's harder to find products made with quality and longevity in mind, rather than only price. 

I use a M&P for making a garlic paste with salt or anchovies, or herbs. And for grinding coffee beans when the power is out.

I ordered some Peugeots and I'm looking forward to trying them.

1 hour ago, Oceanconcepts said:

I expect those Peugeot mills will keep going many years as well, I've only had this particular pair six years.

Ah, of course. I blame my poor reading comprehension on the Chianti. Thanks for the details.

I've got two grinders with Peugeot guts in 'em in my kitchen, one in the boat, and one at the bar.  Lee Valley Tools used to sell the guts and when I first bought a lathe I went thru a big pepper mill making period, just like Oprah - one for you, one for you, one for that cousin in the back...  the most crazy one was the one I made for my brother, he said make me a really big one.  It is 3 ft long, holds about 5 pounds of pepper.  Some would say overkill, I say home defense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

I ordered some Peugeots and I'm looking forward to trying them.

Terrible cars.

Columbo drove one - all you need to know.

26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Terrible cars.

Columbo drove one - all you need to know.

Actually they were interesting cars - as a small kid I learned basic mechanics on an early-60s Peugeot 403. Weird, column-shift, kinda cool. I think the turn signal was on the wrong side of the column.

Then, during the gas crisis in the 1970s, we had a Peugeot 504 diesel. As a teenager I drove the piss out of that car. Great gear ratio, peppy, simple, had a sunroof.  

Image result for peugeot 504 green

• Like 1

The Peugeot 404 was an awesome car. Good looking, practical, reliable, and rally-ready pretty much right off the lot.

Fun fact: Peugeot cruelly uses an image of the 404 whenever their web server throws an HTTP 404 Page Not Found error.

http://m.peugeot.com/en/error

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

Actually they were interesting cars

Image result for peugeot 504 green

That's sort of like a girl having a good personality. :D

In 2016, we rented a Peugeot in Italy and drove it through Umbria and Tuscany. While it was very nice, I developed a serious and unrequited case of pure lust for an Alpha Romeo Giulietta. I'm sure you will understand. I wonder if A-R makes pepper grinders?

image.thumb.png.6ed73d97fc0079482cdd3bd06474287a.png

Then you'd need to hire a full-time pepper grinder mechanic.......

• Like 1

The pepper grinder is all about domination and control.  The host (or the waiter) maintains CONTROL of the pepper.  The ludicrously long and elaborately carved grinder is flagrantly phallic as he brandishes it around the table and makes every diner BEG for each little twist of the cap.  Who will lock eyes with the bearer and chant more, more, MORE!  Who will deny his cravings and refuse to play the game!  And suffer through a bland meal?  Who will dismiss the poseur with a nonchalant, “never mind, I brought my own!” As he whips a small bottle of habañero source out of a lapel pocket!  

https://images.app.goo.gl/EyWKnfPFisx7YPEX8

• Like 2

My next door neighbor, English, takes a small pepper mill in her purse when she goes out.

Following on Toddster, Saturday Night Live had a skit years ago about the restaurant pepper grinder. It gets a little out of hand.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:24 AM, Bull City said:

We have a pair from Crate & Barrel. The salt grinder is clogged with salt - humudity may have something to do with it - and the pepper will not adjust to anything finer than coarse. The mechanisms have a lot of plastic. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking the Peugeot pair, and maybe these:

image.png.a31d79d052c9e53aae09a2b8e807c1bd.png

Try adjusting the pepper grinder upside down. The grinder, not you. I had the same problem until I stumbled across that solution.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:24 PM, sculpin said:

Peugeot make the best guts for pepper grinders.

Are the guts plastic or metal?

metal

I have kept Peugeot grinders on my boat for years  The pepper grinders last forever but the salt grinders only last around 5 or 6 years  Salt corrosion eventually gets them

Great products

8 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Try adjusting the pepper grinder upside down. The grinder, not you. I had the same problem until I stumbled across that solution.

I cleared all of the peppercorn debris out of the grinder, and the turned the adjustment knob to the right as far as it would go, and it was still very coarse. 

Hold the grinder upside down. Wiggle the top (now the bottom) until the grinding burr (the moving part) is flush against the cone in the bottom (now the top) of the grinder. Now lift the the knob (on the bottom) up towards the body; tighten the nut firmly so there is no slack in the mechanism. Turn the mill upright again. It ashould now grind pepper finely. This always works with my Peugeots. Reverse the sequence to get coarse grind pepper for Carbonara and pepper steak.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:05 PM, toddster said:

Those look nice.  I have to admit that I gave up on anything so elegant when Costco started selling these disposable ones.  They have that certain redneck "cares enough to grind but not enough to give a fuck how it looks" vibe.

image.png.dd319f02bb340373a6feb9610e67b83c.png

You made me look! While in Costco today I looked at the salt and pepper grinders. There was a lot of differant salts. I will admit that I have never owned pepper or salt grinders.

20190522_101236_resized.jpg

Salt and pepper grinders?! Really? This place is falling apart.

What's next? 'My favorite spatula!'

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Here's what you need for on the water Gourmet Cuisine Cruise!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Custom-25-Food-Boat-Used/123772192060?hash=item1cd165c53c:g:RDoAAOSwjKtcXO8C

1999 25' Food boat!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Indoor and outdoor grills, plenty of room for your herbs and spices, all the grinders you need and stairs up to the cabin top to get away and have a smoke, if you got-em!!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Here's what you need for on the water Gourmet Cuisine Cruise!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Custom-25-Food-Boat-Used/123772192060?hash=item1cd165c53c:g:RDoAAOSwjKtcXO8C

1999 25' Food boat!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Indoor and outdoor grills, plenty of room for your herbs and spices, all the grinders you need and stairs up to the cabin top to get away and have a smoke, if you got-em!!

- Stumbling

OMG - talk about the "two best days of a boat owner's life!"   

You cross up a pontoon boat and a food truck, and it produces an exponential effect to the rule.

Food trucks present a uniquely dangerous fire hazard. I hate to contemplate the additional risk associated with operating one in a confined space on the water.

8 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

OMG - talk about the "two best days of a boat owner's life!"   

You cross up a pontoon boat and a food truck, and it produces an exponential effect to the rule.

Food trucks present a uniquely dangerous fire hazard. I hate to contemplate the additional risk associated with operating one in a confined space on the water.

Must not forget the tanks of gasoline stashed to feed the motivator in the back!

- Stumbling

53 minutes ago, monsoon said:

Actually, I do have a favorite spatula. I used to have a favorite pair of tongs too, but they fell apart.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Actually, I do have a favorite spatula. I used to have a favorite pair of tongs too, but they fell apart.

Too many test clacks? 

• Like 3

Back when I was a Costco member, I bought one of those pepper grinders. The plastic mechanism had some sort of internal stress and would invariably crack all by itself while sitting on the shelf. I returned the first one figuring it was a fluke. The second one did the same thing. I returned it and waited a few months, hoping the next production lot would be better. Nope. DId the same thing.

I don't get the salt grinder thing. With pepper, it gives you better flavor when you grind it just before consuming. Salt? It's salt.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IStream said:

I don't get the salt grinder thing. With pepper, it gives you better flavor when you grind it just before consuming. Salt? It's salt.

Would that it were so.

My wife has a grinder full of (fuckin') pink sea salt.

The grinder puts out the equivalent of rock salt for roads. Tastes like shit.

I have to keep my own shaker of mega-processed iodized Sifto to ensure my food tastes right.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Would that it were so.

My wife has a grinder full of (fuckin') pink sea salt.

The grinder puts out the equivalent of rock salt for roads. Tastes like shit.

I have to keep my own shaker of mega-processed iodized Sifto to ensure my food tastes right.

Yeah, my stepmom always has some exotic pink, black, or brown "mineral" salt laying around. I consider myself pretty open to new things and to new flavors but it all tastes like salt + dirt to me. Different kinds of dirt at different concentrations, mind you, but dirt nonetheless.

Solves the problem of the salt caking up, I guess.  But probably just a fad thing.  Makes dinner a pinch more interesting.  I’ve always wondered why a sailor doesn’t just sprinkle a little sea water on his food?

Some years back, I had a client who wanted me to analyze her line of exotic Himalayan Salts and list all of the healthful minerals contained within (turns out that one of them was arsenic...). Then she wanted me to certify that it was “pure.”  Another person having difficulty with the meaning of the word...

1 minute ago, toddster said:

Solves the problem of the salt caking up, I guess.  But probably just a fad thing.  Makes dinner a pinch more interesting.  I’ve always wondered why a sailor doesn’t just sprinkle a little sea water on his food?

Some years back, I had a client who wanted me to analyze her line of exotic Himalayan Salts and list all of the healthful minerals contained within (turns out that one of them was arsenic...). Then she wanted me to certify that it was “pure.”  Another person having difficulty with the meaning of the word...

:rolleyes:

The fallback from "pure" is "natural". Even arsenic isn't a problem for "natural". 

A friend of mine bought some Himalayan salt and was bemused by the expiry date on it. Let me get this straight...it's been around for millions of years and it's suddenly going to go bad in two?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Upp3 said:

Too many test clacks? 

Lucky not to have been drinking coffee when I read this. Thank you.

A lot of stuff starts to oxidize when you dig it up out of the ground.  

47 minutes ago, toddster said:

I’ve always wondered why a sailor doesn’t just sprinkle a little sea water on his food?

Easy and natural! Now with piquant accents from stinging creatures and overtones of old piscine poo. Yum!

35 minutes ago, weightless said:

Easy and natural! Now with piquant accents from stinging creatures and overtones of old piscine poo. Yum!

Awww, if that was bad for you, millions of us coastal kids, who swam, surfed, and constantly swallowed and spat seawater would be in bad shape now :P

1 hour ago, Israel Hands said:

Awww, if that was bad for you, millions of us coastal kids, who swam, surfed, and constantly swallowed and spat seawater would be in bad shape now :P

Sure, I'm in the ocean most every day and look how I turned out... Oh... Perhaps we shouldn't explore that too closely. Let's just allow that by and large ocean water isn't poison in moderate amounts, shall we? My point was that ocean water is salt water with many and various extra ingredients which may or may not be desirable food seasonings. 

8 hours ago, monsoon said:

I’m extremely attached to this type of circa 1950’s - 60’s spring steel spatula. Just the right flex and stiffness. Wood handles were originally painted. Whenever I spot one in a thrift store I snap it up.   

IMG_2015.jpg

20 minutes ago, Oceanconcepts said:

I’m extremely attached to this type of circa 1950’s - 60’s spring steel spatula. Just the right flex and stiffness. Wood handles were originally painted. Whenever I spot one in a thrift store I snap it up.   

IMG_2015.jpg

So you're the one! How many do you have?

6 hours ago, IStream said:

The fallback from "pure" is "natural". Even arsenic isn't a problem for "natural". 

Neither is nuclear waste.

7 hours ago, IStream said:

Gluten free too.....

10 hours ago, toddster said:

My offshore cuisine rotation included cooking pasta in sea water, saving both the fresh water supply as well as knowing that the pasta is automatically "seasoned to taste!"

The weather rail crowd could not tell the difference! (after sitting all day eating waves and spray)

- Stumbling

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

Gluten free too.....

"Contains zero death crystals!"

21 hours ago, monsoon said:

You laugh.

I have this awesome spatula I've had since before my wife and I got married. It's perfect; over the years the edge of it has gotten melted/honed to a perfect sharpness. I can cut smal things like mushrooms or bits of ham or bacon while sauteeing, etc. It's nice and stiff and just the right width for most things. Not too narrow, and not one of those ridiculous wide ones that you can't easily work around something with.

It's ancient, and the head is getting loose. I will be so distraught when it goes. I'm thinking maybe I can put it back on with some epoxy when it happens.

We have a couple of nice thumb operated salt & pepper grinders on the boat.  They work OK at the table but they are a pain in the ass to use when cooking. Too slow. I miss my battery powered, lighted pepper mill.

11 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

You laugh.

I have this awesome spatula I've had since before my wife and I got married. It's perfect; over the years the edge of it has gotten melted/honed to a perfect sharpness. I can cut smal things like mushrooms or bits of ham or bacon while sauteeing, etc. It's nice and stiff and just the right width for most things. Not too narrow, and not one of those ridiculous wide ones that you can't easily work around something with.

It's ancient, and the head is getting loose. I will be so distraught when it goes. I'm thinking maybe I can put it back on with some epoxy when it happens.

We have a couple of nice thumb operated salt & pepper grinders on the boat.  They work OK at the table but they are a pain in the ass to use when cooking. Too slow. I miss my battery powered, lighted pepper mill.

Used one of those at the neighbours a couple of nights ago, they are certainly entertaining.

the only Peugeot appliance I have is an old two speed chest drill, it’s stored somewhere for when Armageddon comes, a beautiful piece of engineering.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

You laugh.

And the law of unintended consequences strikes again.  Jeez y'all. I can understand multipage threads about coffee post because, well, coffee. Coffee is essential to life. Some particular pf'n pfeffer grinders or spatulas, no.

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Maybe S&P mills with Bluetooth and a smart phone app, so you can grind remotely?

• Like 1

Don’t Pink salt: go to yer local India ethnic store and buy “kala namak” for pennies on the price of the floofy Whole Foods/organic/himalwhatsit brands. Kala Namak does have a flavor that is better than white salt for subzi and some dals.

As for grinder, I find that anything other than ceramic and inox goes to shit aboard. Madame has a tiny little cylinder hand grinder that comes apart for storage and grinds whatever grist is fed to it.  

Not that we eat black pepper... that’s what Goat, Bonda Mahala, 7-Pot Primo, and Naga are for...and as for salt, Miz Eva’s Long Island Bahamas Pepper Salt does it for us

What the world needs is better garlic processing devices. Madame bewails the loss of her cheap Chinese garlic slicer, its like has not been found...

27 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

What the world needs is better garlic processing devices.

I've come around to just smashing the clove with the side of a knife, and then chopping it (like a TV chef, of course). If I'm going to mince a lot of it, or then mash it in a M&P with other stuff, I use one of those hand mincers that push it through the tiny holes.

18 hours ago, Oceanconcepts said:

It could be worse. I hesitate to raise the subject, but ...

a year or so ago, I was sailing for the weekend with two of my sailing pals, and they got into a discussion about the best home vacuum cleaners. One is a retired chemist, the other a retired professor of sociology, so as you can imagine, they got into studies and so forth, very evidence-based. It went on for a while, longer than I thought possible. Then there was a moment or two of silence. One of them, I think the chemist, said he could not believe what they were just discussing, and pledged us to secrecy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bull City said:

It could be worse. I hesitate to raise the subject, but ...

a year or so ago, I was sailing for the weekend with two of my sailing pals, and they got into a discussion about the best home vacuum cleaners. One is a retired chemist, the other a retired professor of sociology, so as you can imagine, they got into studies and so forth, very evidence-based. It went on for a while, longer than I thought possible. Then there was a moment or two of silence. One of them, I think the chemist, said he could not believe what they were just discussing, and pledged us to secrecy.

So what was the outcome? What IS the best home vacuum cleaner according to a sociologist and a chemist? Inquiring minds want to know.

10 minutes ago, woahboy said:

So what was the outcome? What IS the best home vacuum cleaner according to a sociologist and a chemist? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry, WB, I don't recall. Next time we get together, I'll ask, although I doubt they'll remember either.

Note to Self: I knew I shouldn't have brought it up.

2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Sorry, WB, I don't recall. Next time we get together, I'll ask, although I doubt they'll remember either.

IDK about the best home vacuum cleaner, but for a sailboat the Dyson Car & Auto vacuum cannot be beaten.

Image result for dyson auto vacuum

Perfect for keeping crumbs off the cabin sole and dirt out of hard-to-reach corners.

• Like 1

For the price of those Dyson machines it should know when it is needed and do the cleanup automatically.

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

For the price of those Dyson machines it should know when it is needed and do the cleanup automatically.

Must admit that I was able to get mine via a 'reward points' promotion. But it's one of the few rechargeable gadgets that I really like.  It's helped me deal with the little bits of old headliner foam and dead fuzzybills that inevitably appear in the cabin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREgTmXg1qSCF-WRwBg8VQ

Got this one a few yrs ago, still going strong.  Super easy to fill and or adjust the grind.  Mi 83 yo mom loves it as well, arthritus is setting in and she finds it comfortable to use.  

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

I've come around to just smashing the clove with the side of a knife, and then chopping it (like a TV chef, of course). If I'm going to mince a lot of it, or then mash it in a M&P with other stuff, I use one of those hand mincers that push it through the tiny holes.

Yes, but then you have a knife and the cutting board to clean. This thing was effectively an apple or egg slicer but as a scissor, sort of like a garlic press that you mentioned. The true garlic press is harder to clean. The closest thing I’ve seen to it are the 2-in-one slice/press things but the one we tried sucked. Alas. 

Vacuum: so far the winner *was* the B&D Flex, but the battery durability wasn’t there. We have gone to a corded Carrand AutoSpa does the job. 

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

I used to not use a garlic press, there were no good ones.

Then a friend bought me a Xyliss press that I can use without peeling the cloves. Makes short works, and makes chunks of garlic instead of just pulpy juice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

IDK about the best home vacuum cleaner, but for a sailboat the Dyson Car & Auto vacuum cannot be beaten.

Image result for dyson auto vacuum

Perfect for keeping crumbs off the cabin sole and dirt out of hard-to-reach corners.

We got one of those rechargable Dyson home units similar to that for our primary boat vacuum.  The first time we used it it was terrifying what it picked up.

We hadn't found anything good for some time, we went through one of those crappy Shark things, and had also used a manual carpet cat for some time.

6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

We got one of those rechargable Dyson home units similar to that for our primary boat vacuum.  The first time we used it it was terrifying what it picked up.

We hadn't found anything good for some time, we went through one of those crappy Shark things, and had also used a manual carpet cat for some time.

Just got a new Dyson Ball (animal) from costco..  $220.00 That's it.  Anyway, yea, we had an older model Dyson before, but shit man, this new one is picking up entire dogs out of the carpet already vacuumed with the first one.  Took us 3 containers to get through the wall to wall carpet and most of the house is hardwoods.  :lol:

23 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Just got a new Dyson Ball (animal) from costco..  $220.00 That's it.  Anyway, yea, we had an older model Dyson before, but shit man, this new one is picking up entire dogs out of the carpet already vacuumed with the first one.  Took us 3 containers to get through the wall to wall carpet and most of the house is hardwoods.  :lol:

Shaggy, you better be careful with that beast. Do you wear a fitting clothing when you use it? A clip on tie? :D

• Like 1

There was actually a warning on our first one that said in big fucking red letters..  "DO NOT RUN OVER CORD".  Guess what the wifie did 2 mins int first run...  :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

Oh dear, we start with pepper grinders and end up with shaggy dog stories....

Meanwhile back in a maritime climate.... 

IMG_1356.jpg

On 5/23/2019 at 1:44 PM, Bull City said:

So you're the one! How many do you have?

I think four. The original started to crack just ahead of the handle attachment after I'm guessing 50 years or so of use. Put me into a panic to locate others. I now have a few in reserve. I have a few other spatulas that I like for some things, but this one just feels right

14 hours ago, Bull City said:

Shaggy, you better be careful with that beast. Do you wear a tight fitting clothing when you use it? A clip on tie? :D

Fixed it for myself.

18 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Then a friend bought me a Xyliss press that I can use without peeling the cloves. Makes short works, and makes chunks of garlic instead of just pulpy juice.

Madame wants to know if your press is the Susi 3, and is it actually easy to clean?

Spatula: one very like the picture came with the boat and it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Just thin and flexible enough, easy to clean (read to mean: less water) and durable. Looks like a commercial food-service tool...

6B75B28D-695D-4561-A0A7-14BD188290F7.jpeg

7 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:
On 5/25/2019 at 7:02 AM, B.J. Porter said:

Madame wants to know if your press is the Susi 3, and is it actually easy to clean?

I don't know the model.

It have with a little rubber thing with spikes on it for cleaning. I think we lost it.

It's no worse than other garlic presses. A little better maybe, since the holes are bigger.

• Like 1

The spatula pictured in #57 above, (of which I also have a couple) reminded me of a favorite 50's item also inherited as a family heirloom.  The egg chopper.  Originally the wood handle was painted white and seafoam green (nautical forum connection).  The paint slowly deteriorated over the decades in our over-full kitchen drawer.  When the last few specs of green were barely hanging on my wife declared the paint was a toxic lead hazard and ordered; fix it.  So a few minutes of sanding and viola!  A nice wooden handle like the featured spatula above.  I am a bit nostalgic for the seafoam green though.  Belying its name, the egg chopper is used mostly in preparing berries for my specialty, strawberry short cake.  Yum. 

While rummaging for the chopper portrait I came upon these other family treasures, also of 50's/60's vintage and inheritance.   The pie spatula is particularly special, I actually varnished the handle after it’s rehab.  Being surprisingly thin and flexible it makes mincemeat out of extracting that first slice from the pan.  The butter spatula is more pedestrian but still a favorite.  Corkscrew gets infrequent use, we don't drink enough to get fussy about a newer model.  It never fails to elicit a comment from our more refined friends, though.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 5.48.47 PM.png

• Like 2